3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.50%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.25%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-11-11, 06:02   Link #221
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I thought the Alvatore was fantastic as the final villain of the series. It was huge, it had incredible fire power, and was practically unbeatable, all good qualities for a villainous mobile armor. As for being defeated easily, it absolutely wasn't. It took the combined efforts of the Exia, assault container, and GN Arms to get it beaten and reveal the Alvaaron.
And they took it down in all of what, 8 minutes? And the Alvaaron went down even faster than that. For a final boss, that's not a lot of durability. Lasse did get totaled as part of the general massacre of Celestial Being, but Exia didn't seem to be struggling that badly. He still had the energy to fight Graham to a standstill even after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
There was also no way Graham's Flag was going to be anymore than what it was, an Overflag with a GN Drive glued to it. It was built in a rush, and the fact it showed up at the very end, when the Exia was weakened after Trans-Am built up a lot of tension.
This was highly unfortunate, IMO. In-story they did explain that Graham had Billy rush the development but I wish they hadn't written that way. I wish they had done a proper outfitting and given Graham the time to master his new instrument the way Ali did with his Throne. With all the built up rivalry and animosity between Graham and the Gundams I still think it would have made for a much better showdown. But you are free to disagree.

Quote:
That said, with your issues on the Alvatore, I don't think you're going to like the Gadelaza...
No spoilers. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Alejandro super loves the color gold so he likes to drab himself in it. His gun is gold among other things. The gold plating on the Alejandro is also some sort of anti-beam playing of sorts which is part of the reason it takes beams better than average GN Armor.

He even tuned the GN Drive Taus on the Alvatore to emit gold particles though they are functionally identical to the red ones on other pseudo Solar Furnaces.
I admit I didn't catch the gold particles. I hadn't noticed Alejandro's gold obsession either apart from the gun. If the gold plating is functional and he's just that kind of flashy guy (which IMO wasn't clearly portrayed before) then that's just how it is.

Quote:
Personally while I don't think it's the most aesthetically pleasing design in the world it has an insect-like dangerous alien final boss feel towards it.
I see where you're coming from, though I think the gold color completely negates the "dangerous alien" feel. But aesthetics is a hard thing to argue. One man's "this is so coooool" is another man's "this is so duuuumb."

Quote:
Alejandro was a Realdo pilot for the Union back in the day so he does have piloting experience.
He... he was? I must have missed that reference.

Quote:
While he's a calculative guy, he's also a glory hog. He wants to be part of the final victory against Aeolia as we have seen from actions like wanting to be the one to pull the final trigger to kill him.
I can't say I really noticed this glory hogging aspect of his nature. He does like to gloat over others, but it seems to be over people who can't fight back (like dead people). Suddenly throwing himself into harm's way like that seems out-of-character, but maybe Ribbons did egg him on.
Old 2017-11-11, 06:36   Link #222
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
And they took it down in all of what, 8 minutes?
The thing about Gundam 00 is...many of the individual fights and battles are rather quick and has short duration compared to other Gundam series (especially Tomino's UC Gundams). It's to the point where some fans complained that some mechas didn't get as much highlight-time as they wanted. And Alvatore's fight is no exception. I'm not complaining though. Shorter duration means better animation and more to-the-point fight with minimal dragging.

In terms of power, Alvatore is among the stronger bosses in Gundam franchise. It certainly has more raw power compared to, say, Gundam Epyon (a boss mecha from Gundam Wing) and arguably more than Gundam Ashtaron & Gundam Virsago (bosses from Gundam X).

Quote:
I admit I didn't catch the gold particles. I hadn't noticed Alejandro's gold obsession either apart from the gun. If the gold plating is functional and he's just that kind of flashy guy (which IMO wasn't clearly portrayed before) then that's just how it is.

The thing about Gundam is, it's a multimedia franchise. If there are things that's not explained in the anime, chances are, you'll find it in the supporting materials such as side-story mangas, databook, and even model kit manuals. In fact, side materials can be so integral to a Gundam anime to the point where the reason of MC's survival from a deadly encounter is actually explained in the side-story manga instead of the anime (eg. Gundam SEED).
Old 2017-11-11, 09:32   Link #223
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Lasse did get totaled as part of the general massacre of Celestial Being, but Exia didn't seem to be struggling that badly. He still had the energy to fight Graham to a standstill even after that.

This was highly unfortunate, IMO. In-story they did explain that Graham had Billy rush the development but I wish they hadn't written that way. I wish they had done a proper outfitting and given Graham the time to master his new instrument the way Ali did with his Throne.
Logically, it made sense that the development was rushed. Graham more or less demanded that they somehow force the technology onto his Flag somehow which just isn't designed to take advantage of the GN Drive Tau, certainly it's not something they could have done in a short period (even by shortened anime standards). Not rushing it meant the thing would have taken months or years.

The only reason they got permission to do what they did was because Billy's uncle, Homer Katagiri is a higher up in the Union. Without that influence, no military commander worth their badge will allow such a thing because a soldier was fussy about symbolism. That's extra money on R&D work, losing one precious GN unit in battles and generally set up a poor example on favoritism.

If anything, Graham more or less screwed himself by not going onboard the superior GN-X because he cared about his Flag symbolism and his pride. That's fine and all but he chose his own path by going in an inferior suit and the bad results that come with if. If he chose the GN-X, not only he could sortie with the others and maybe helped reduced the losses but his chances of winning would be higher as well. He would have had a beam rifle and could just blow apart Exia from afar.

It was a miracle that they were able to get that thing to run in the first place really. I don't even think it's a matter of getting used to the machine as much as the machine itself is just doomed concept to begin with. The Throne Zwei was a proper fully developed GNMS, the GN Flag on the other hand is a rushed flawed prototype/experimental pet project made because of Graham's philosophy as opposed to actual sound military strategy.

That Exia, who usually has a hard time with Custom Flag at full strength, was able to fight it to a draw while weakened is a testimony to how bad the GN Flag is. The only difference is that the GN Flag has a weapon that could damage Exia in the form of Throne Ein's beam saber, where the Custom Flag didn't.

The Custom Flag isn't even designed to be able to operate in space so making it space worthy while adding all the low compatibility GN stuff just makes it into a bad machine. Certainly it's worse compared to a GN-X which is designed from the ground up to work well with those parts, is extensively tested, and had a proper prototype in the form of the GNX-509T Throne Veranus

It's like trying to fit in an advanced 21st century jet engine into a WWI biplane. Even if possible, it's just....not a good idea in terms of compatability. Especially if that engine came with a perfectly fine 21st century airframe too.

Quote:
Nah you didn't. It was mentioned in a sidestory called Gundam 00N.

Like Obelisk mentioned, Gundam is a multimedia franchise so some things are happening in other stories. What was Celestial Being's fifth GN Drive is being used for during this time period for example, was covered in a sidestory manga called Gundam 00F.

(The fact that they are five GN Drives is mentioned in the anime in Season 1, so that's not a spoiler)
Old 2017-11-11, 11:11   Link #224
AnimeFangirl

Hmm, I see. If everything is properly explained in side-stories and bonus materials then I won't argue too much. Personally I prefer my animes to be a complete experience with no "read the light novel/read this interview/read this book for closure" elements but as you both said Gundam is a multimedia franchise.

Your explanation about the Flag makes sense, but I would still have preferred it if they took the time to make the GN Flag a credible threat, even if it meant it took years to develop and thus didn't show up until Season Two. Graham has a history with the Gundams that deserves a proper pay off, Alejandro not so much. But I won't argue the point any further.

Last edited by AnimeFangirl; 2017-11-11 at 18:52.
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote