AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-08-18, 21:25   Link #2281
zorahk

That doesn't change the fact there's no reason to even bother compressing it to begin with.
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 21:37   Link #2282
Bocom
Rare postage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Does .nsa support .png or .gif compression? Those are lossless.
.gif lossless? Uh, no.

Also, is there any reason why you keep the original Shift_JIS text in the translations file? (Can't be bothered to search the thread) I mean, sure, it makes the file larger, but that's trivial. I'd still like to know the reason, if there is one.
Bocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 21:44   Link #2283
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorahk View Post
That doesn't change the fact there's no reason to even bother compressing it to begin with.
It'll shrink the patch size, shorter download for everyone.

Unless nobody cares about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocom View Post
.gif lossless? Uh, no.
GIF can be lossless if there's no alpha transparency and sufficiently few colors in the original image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocom View Post
Also, is there any reason why you keep the original Shift_JIS text in the translations file? (Can't be bothered to search the thread) I mean, sure, it makes the file larger, but that's trivial. I'd still like to know the reason, if there is one.
Makes TCing easier, as well as handling edits to lines that have already been edited, since the Japanese won't change.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 21:51   Link #2284
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorahk View Post
Average tati/portrait: 1.7 MB

Resaved as a PNG: 44 KB

There is a reason. PNG portraits look exactly the same and are like ten times smaller. The background images are arguable but when I saved them in JPG they literally looked no different.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 21:51   Link #2285
zorahk

Quote:
It'll shrink the patch size, shorter download for everyone.

Unless nobody cares about that.
The patch for ep 4 was 50MB. If you seriously think that needs shrinking, can I ask what kind of internet you are using?
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 21:57   Link #2286
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

No need to be rude. It's not for me personally, and it's not something that's remotely difficult to do. Quite honestly, it'll take far less time to put all the translated images in JPG or PNG than to have an argument about it, so I think we'll likely just do it.
Old 2009-08-18, 21:58   Link #2287
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

My issue is mostly for 07th. The number of images WH has to alter are quite small, so changing them doesn't affect much really. The issue is more why 07th decided to switch to BMPs even though they wind up grossly overpadding the arc.nsa.
Old 2009-08-18, 21:59   Link #2288
MarthX

Yeah. 50 MB doesn't really need shrinking. If it's something that'll slow down progress then I'm against it.
MarthX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 22:00   Link #2289
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post
Yeah. 50 MB doesn't really need shrinking. If it's something that'll slow down progress then I'm against it.
It'd take no time at all (they'd just save the altered image as a PNG or JPG), it just doesn't matter much when the bulk of the files come from 07th and not WH. The 50 MB would probably drop to 20-25 at the most, which is a fairly small amount (I suppose you could argue 400 MB is a small amount, but I'd be inclined to disagree).
Old 2009-08-18, 22:01   Link #2290
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
My issue is mostly for 07th. The number of images WH has to alter are quite small, so changing them doesn't affect much really. The issue is more why 07th decided to switch to BMPs even though they wind up grossly overpadding the arc.nsa.
All that can be done is to ask them, it's not really something for discussion in the translation project thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post
Well, technically it will. By maybe 5 minutes. It's not going to be an inconvenience at all, seriously.
Old 2009-08-19, 02:28   Link #2291
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Average tati/portrait: 1.7 MB

Resaved as a PNG: 44 KB

There is a reason. PNG portraits look exactly the same and are like ten times smaller. The background images are arguable but when I saved them in JPG they literally looked no different.
PNG is another matter. If it is PNG then it works, but jpg would never give a perfect rendition of flat color images.

Quote:
I seriously hope this won't change. Okay must of the people who use the patch do not give a damn, but if you extract it, it becomes an invaluable source of informations.

How many times have there been people who asked how that particular word was in the original? With such file I only need to make a quick search to find the original japanese word. It is incredibly useful. Please do not change this.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 02:34   Link #2292
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/if...urefileformats

Okay! Enough of that, there's really no meaning in talking about it further.

And I don't technically have control of this, but I'll guarantee regardless that the Japanese text will stay in the file, just because of how we've operated up to now.
Old 2009-08-19, 04:19   Link #2293
ghost_zero5

I have to agree with Jan-Poo that PNG would be a different matter. Of course, it has some drawbacks too, e.g. when it would be used for web-design (which is not the case here) - is that the IE6 doesn't support it correctly out-of-the-box and the web developer would need to do further "adjustments" to the HTML & CSS "code" to get it working the way they want it to work. Also it is a loseless compression and therefore should result in bigger image sizes than what is possible with a lossy compression (but of course, you don't loose image information that way).
Regarding flat colors JPEG is even bad at maximum compression settings.

HOWEVER, does anyone know how JPEG2000 is performing with flat colors?
It isn't used so often, therefore have no idea regarding this BUT I know that JPEG2000 supports also a loseless compression which I think would be kinda interesting how big loseless JPEG2000 files would be afterwars. Normally, they should be way bigger than when using a lossy compression. Maybe I will test this if I have time

Last edited by ghost_zero5; 2009-08-19 at 04:32.
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 04:38   Link #2294
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
I think that .nsa is a compressed format, so it's not as bad as it could be.

Also, if disk space is that important, arc2.nsa is only used for demo mode in the music box, so you can delete that.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 04:46   Link #2295
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Huh no, just don't. arc2.nsa contain many background, effects, ending scrolls etc.
It should not be deleted at all.
Old 2009-08-19, 05:05   Link #2296
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

As a general rule just don't touch anything. Really now.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 12:27   Link #2297
Ushiromiya Battler

Um... apologies for re-asking this, I certainly don't mean to be a bother but I would like to know if the EP1 revision patch is going to be put on hold or delayed so I can tell my friend either to wait a bit longer or just go ahead and read it anyway...
Ushiromiya Battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 13:17   Link #2298
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

We are still doing it, (especially the translation style as it is really different from how chrono is doing now).
It is delayed a bit, because we have more edits to apply to Episode 4, and we have Episode 5 so.

However, I'm unable to tell you the possible ETA for the time being, unfortunately.
edit: for those who are worrying, as implied in this post, the translation process has begun.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-08-20 at 12:30.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 13:31   Link #2299
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Regarding JPG and PNG:

Spoiler:

Can you tell which is which without checking the file extension?
Old 2009-08-19, 13:34   Link #2300
Tomoya-kun
Live the life you love
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
Regarding JPG and PNG:

Spoiler:

Can you tell which is which without checking the file extension?
I couldn't.

Little Busters!
Tomoya-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation