AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-26, 23:12   Link #1
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Now and Then, Here and There... (Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku)

I started this series and it's immensely disturbing, though powerful. The box just looked like another lighthearted shounen, but inside it, it was pretty insane. Anyone else agree that this is the most f*cked up anime? I had to stop watching once I figured out what was happening to Sara (Sala)... Need to take a break before I launch back into it... Is this the work of a genius or a madman? Any thoughts?
Old 2004-05-26, 23:26   Link #2
TronDD
Team the box!

2nd most disturbing series for me (after Narutaru). I love it. A great display of what humans can do to each other. What makes it so impactful is that people like Hamdo really exist.

Sara's...predicament...really hit me, too.

Spoiler for Sara spoiler:

The show made me feel ashamed to be part of the human race. I will never get over it.
Old 2004-05-27, 00:25   Link #3
velmeran

I just finished watching this series and I was deeply moved by some of the scenes. But I also saw a few problems with the story line that made me want to strangle the writers near the end.

Spoiler for Massive Spoiler Alert:
Old 2004-05-27, 05:50   Link #4
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I love NTHT, however I hate Shu's stupid optimism. Sala on the other hand ROCKS!!!

Spoiler:

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-05-27 at 08:03.
Old 2004-05-27, 05:53   Link #5
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Yeah...

I just finished the rest of the story, and it looks like I'm not going to be able to sleep for the rest of the week.

The harsh reality of the series blew me away, and several times throughout, I was muttering, "this is impossible." The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that stuff like that is timeless. It's happened in the past and is happening now. A chilling reminder of our own base humanness.

Spoiler:

All in all, it left me staring at the empty screen in front of me for at least two minutes while I tried to comprehend what the hell had happened. I guess I can answer my own question (about the genius and the madman) earlier-- it takes a little bit of both. The genius to see that such folly exists in this world, and the madman to have the courage to say it...

Last edited by Ambience Blue; 2004-05-27 at 05:53. Reason: bumbled spoiler tags...
Old 2004-05-27, 07:48   Link #6
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

This is probably my favorite anime series. It never shies away from what it begins to do. As someone said above, it makes you ashamed to be part of the human race. The worst part is that situations just as bad or worse than this one are always happening throughout the world, and we just sit back and ignore it.

I don't know why there's all this optimistic Shu bashing -- I really, really liked him. Without him, I really doubt I could have watched the whole series. It's just so damn harsh...

Spoiler for Abelia:
Old 2004-05-27, 08:45   Link #7
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
The only complaint I have against this show is how it antagonizes those rebels. I mean, it seems the show tells us that when we have a cruel maniacal tyrant ruler, we should just bear with it and wait for him to die someday somehow, instead of taking arms to fight him
Look around. There are many such countries right now. To a lesser extent, even in peaceful countries, there are people unhappy with the way the government does things.
With a violent tyrant, it is far safer to lay low, and not draw attention to yourself. People have a self preservation instict and think "If they aren't after me, I'm not going to do anything that will attract them."

The people in the village Hamdo was looking for showed this "over throw the tyrant"/"Stay hidden and survive" conflict in an interesting way. As you said, those who wanted to fight were shown as the bad guys. They were, of course. But those who didn't want to fight for the right reason were not really good guys, either.

Spoiler for Political comment:
Old 2004-05-27, 08:53   Link #8
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD

Spoiler for Political comment:
Spoiler for political whatever:

the real world sure has the "over throw the typrant"/"stay hidden and survive" conflicts, but I feel a bit annoyed is how NTHT takes on the issue. It specifically antagonized the "over throw the typrant" idea...
Old 2004-05-27, 09:49   Link #9
Suikun

It's been about two years, now, since I saw this series so I don't remember enough details to comment on anything specifically, but I must say this series blew both me and my Dad (who I finally got to watch it with me) away. This series protrays the good and bad in humans in such a disturbingly realistic way, and I couldn't have chosen a better storyline myself to get such points across. It's a shame, really, that this series has received such little popularity or attention.
Old 2004-05-27, 10:49   Link #10
jennwenn

This series was definitely a difficult watch. If it wasn't for Shu's optimism, I think I would have gone crazy.

Spoiler:

What really depressed me about this series is that things like this happen in the real world.
Old 2004-05-27, 12:19   Link #11
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
This series was definitely a difficult watch. If it wasn't for Shu's optimism, I think I would have gone crazy.

Spoiler:

What really depressed me about this series is that things like this happen in the real world.
Spoiler for about abortion:

Spoiler for Shu's optimism:
Old 2004-05-27, 12:39   Link #12
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Spoiler for about abortion:

Spoiler for Shu's optimism:
Abortion:
Spoiler:

Shu:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-27, 13:00   Link #13
dreamless

hehe kinda off-topic but just think it would be great if they continue the story like this, Sala keeps the child but still hating him all the time, so much so that the child, under constant hatred from his mother, and with the questionable background of his father, grows up to become a Johan-like Monster-kind of serial killer and goes back in time to kill Shu's family and friends one by one... now that would be some good stuff
Old 2004-05-27, 13:10   Link #14
TronDD
Team the box!

Actually, I think it would be neat to see some of Lalaru's past. The events of this show don't even phase her, what the hell else has she seen? What is she exactly? Where/when is she from? etc. We don't even really get any glimpse into her thoughts of what she is seeing, I'd like to have been in her mind through some of the series.
Old 2004-05-27, 13:41   Link #15
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

I just finished this series a couple of days ago, sara definately got the raw end of the deal on the whole anime. It was pretty obvious being a girl on a chick full of horny soldiers what would happen to her. It's a tough series to watch but it makes you think of how much worse the people had it when the germans were invading everyone.
Old 2004-05-27, 19:26   Link #16
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Actually, I think it would be neat to see some of Lalaru's past. The events of this show don't even phase her, what the hell else has she seen? What is she exactly? Where/when is she from? etc. We don't even really get any glimpse into her thoughts of what she is seeing, I'd like to have been in her mind through some of the series.
Spoiler:

Btw, I had an outside-story question: Did this series air on TV in Japan? (I'm sure it did) But I was just curious as to when (what time) and where (what type of channels)-- The material in it, though true-- seemed waaay too grim and dark for the average watcher to take without much emotional trauma. It's one thing to watch something like Hellsing and watch the blood flow, but it's another realm with the psychological elements present in NTHT.
Old 2004-05-27, 19:40   Link #17
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience Blue
[spoiler] I actually liked the fact that they left much of Lala-Ru's past a secret, I mean, there wasn't much to imagine. It's revealed later that she's been around for thousands of years (I actually think the poem at the beginning of the show before the credits is about her) in the form of a child, and is entombed in fable as a mythical water-bringing witch. She has no optimism whatsoever, b/c from her prior experiences, she understands that people only take her for granted, gain power, then kill each other.
I like that an explicit shawing of Lalaru's past and such were left out in this series, too. It wouldn't fit, I don't think. However, a different series that was more from her point of view would be cool. Something kinda documentary-like could be an interesting way to do it. If I had any creativity, maybe I'd write a fan-fic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience Blue
Welcome to a world where the gods have no power.
I like that statement. Very interesting interpretation.
Old 2004-05-27, 22:06   Link #18
ubb

I've seen several short clips of NTHT, main reason I didn't watch it then was because I didn't find one kendo kid beating 5 other kid using guns as realistic(of course, back then I was such an anime newbie looking for something realistic in anime is like finding a needle in a haysack). I'd probably watch the whole series some other time.
Old 2004-05-31, 00:34   Link #19
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Man, I just finished watching this and all I can say is "like...wow". Yes, this is most definately one seriously F'ed up anime. On par with Narutaru most definately. I'd complain about a few inconsistencies and some stuff left unresolved/unanswered, but good gauds, I'm still so in shock I'm not even gonna bother.

And poor Boo.
Old 2004-10-16, 12:28   Link #20
TerryMathews

I'm probably going to get slapped for reviving an old thread, but I just watched NTHT last night and wanted to see what everyone else though - and having read that I want to interject my interpretation, that no one else seemed to come up with.

Spoiler:
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, science fiction