Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-23, 00:29   Link #821
LordDemon
Yami no Ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Uh, with no hints of sex before this episode and with theatricals in the making, it's a friendship thing.

Canaan doesn't strike me as someone who is not capable of this. Maria is too pure imo. It seems to me like they are both emotionally "stunted".
....What? What does sex have to do with anything here? By your own admission, Canaan and Maria are both "pure" in their own way and something like sex would come way, way down the line. It's hard to see a blushing Maria asking Canaan to be by her side forever whilst holding hands as purely platonic.

If you want to describe them as emotionally stunted, then gender barriers would mean absolutely nothing to them.

And let me add that this has absolutely nothing to do with being a yuri fanatic. I know subtle undertones and teasing pandering that will never be followed up on when I see it. I simply don't think there was anything subtle about that particular scene at all. I was willing to dismiss the faceholding at the start of the episode as another case of "Oh, they're such close friends. How sweet", but Maria's "proposal" steps over the line of pure friendship to me.
LordDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 00:36   Link #822
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Their relationship is more of a close friendship. They love each other but not that kind of love. Only Yuri fanatics will see it otherwise.
The implications are there even if you want to deny it. Normal friends don't say stuff like that too each other. Being together forever is a big commitment and it pushes that lines between friendship and romantic love. Could it just be friendship? Sure, I don't deny this but claiming that it's only friendship seems a bit like anti-yuri fanatics bias clouding their objectivity. It's far from an forgone conclusion on what kind of relationship these two have.
Old 2009-08-23, 02:00   Link #823
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Before you say 'calling it yuri is going too far' or 'they are just friends', remember that you are watching anime. In anime, the things these two have done are as close to outright fucking on camera as you usually ever get from TV programming. This show is rather obviously roping in the yuri crowd, and if the blushing in episode eight doesn't spell it out like big fucking sharpee written on your proverbial forehead, than Liang Qi's total homolust for 'nee-sama' should be the key in the hole.

But I can't blame you for thinking yuri-fanaticism about a guy with girl's hugging in his avatar or a ga-rei zero sig
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 02:25   Link #824
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

the whole under moonlight scene screamed yuriness, from the way maria blushed as she grabbed canaan hand and as to what said. lt was a very touching moment indeed... here's hoping sometime in the near future liang gets a scene like this even though alphard isn't worthy of her love. for a moment there l was thinking of kannaduki no miko when maria started going on about moonlight and shinning brightly
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 04:01   Link #825
Guppy

Currently 2/3 of the way through episode 8, and it's already got full marks from me for one reason alone:

Spoiler for ep. 8:
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 05:52   Link #826
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon View Post
....What? What does sex have to do with anything here? By your own admission, Canaan and Maria are both "pure" in their own way and something like sex would come way, way down the line. It's hard to see a blushing Maria asking Canaan to be by her side forever whilst holding hands as purely platonic.

If you want to describe them as emotionally stunted, then gender barriers would mean absolutely nothing to them.

And let me add that this has absolutely nothing to do with being a yuri fanatic. I know subtle undertones and teasing pandering that will never be followed up on when I see it. I simply don't think there was anything subtle about that particular scene at all. I was willing to dismiss the faceholding at the start of the episode as another case of "Oh, they're such close friends. How sweet", but Maria's "proposal" steps over the line of pure friendship to me.
People normally have a relationship first. Sex is usually a part of it imo. If you're emotionally stunted, then you're not going to propose. It's beyond your abilities. Maria prob hasn't been in love before and Canaan isn't mature enough socially to do anything. Gender barriers have nothing to do with this. Maria is prob realizing that Canaan's work has a high likelihood of killing her and wants her to promise not to die.

Nothing's wrong with having a yuri fantasy. That's what fanfiction is for.

However, this is going to be 3 feature movies. Economics of the situation kind of pushes the friendship angle over yuri. This is a Western targeted title imo. Yuri won't sell as well in R1. It wouldn't even get a dub nowadays. Therefore, they will be paid less than if it's a friendship thing.

So how well does yuri do with mainstream audiences in Japan? They're the ones that are going to be paying to see 3 features.

It can't really attract Type Moon fanbase outside of the designs imo. It's not like popular Type Moon characters are in this. It hasn't even generated the normal extra stuff that you see associated with a popular series on cdjapan. They only have the DVDs., BDs, song CDs... (To compare, see what K-On! has to offer.)

Last edited by orion; 2009-08-23 at 06:21.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 06:18   Link #827
Slick_rick

Quote:
If you're emotionally stunted, then you're not going to propose. It's beyond your abilities. Maria prob hasn't been in love before and Canaan isn't mature enough socially to do anything. Gender barriers have nothing to do with this. Maria is prob realizing that Canaan's work has a high likelihood of killing her and wants her to promise not to die.

Nothing's wrong with having a yuri fantasy. That's what fanfiction is for.

However, this is going to be 3 feature movies. Economics of the situation kind of pushes the friendship angle over yuri. Yuri won't sell as well in R1. It wouldn't even get a dub nowadays. Therefore, they will be paid less than if it's a friendship thing.

So how well does yuri do with mainstream audiences in Japan? They're the ones that are going to be paying to see 3 features.
I don't know where to get started with this.

I don't know what Yuri selling well has to do with how their relationship is portrayed in the show but honestly Yuri and Yuri fanservice has been selling well in both Japan and R1. Yuri in itself has a fairly large and loyal fanbase. It's a market that been expanding for a number of years now. This though has very little to do with the actual relationship between Canaan and Maria. You were off fishing somewhere when you pulled this out of left field.

Whether Canaan and Maria actually understand there feelings for each other completely is an issue. Are they truly just friends or are there feelings deeper and they just haven't realized it. Maria is Canaan's first friend so her attachment is somewhat understandable even then Maria and her connection is still pushing the limits of a normal friendship relationship. The scene was can off as very romantic and I doubt this wasn't their intention. They might actually not ever become romantic involved in the show or it be left up to the imagination but the possibility looms large especially when you consider the show has a relationship like Alphard and Liang which also pushes the border on what kind of "love" Liang has for Alphard.

Like I said before some will deny the possibility of a Yuri relationship unless its completely overt and in your face. It's nothing I haven't seen when watching similar shows 100 times over.
Old 2009-08-23, 06:24   Link #828
Kazu-kun

Quote:
If you're emotionally stunted, then you're not going to propose. It's beyond your abilities. Maria prob hasn't been in love before and Canaan isn't mature enough socially to do anything. Gender barriers have nothing to do with this. Maria is prob realizing that Canaan's work has a high likelihood of killing her and wants her to promise not to die.
You're thinking to much. I mean, this is a series where a taxi can jump from a bridge to a building's rooftop. 'Nuff said.

All those CanaanxMaria scenes in this episode were obvious yuri fanservice. The undertones were put there for anyone who wanted to see them. The scenes were ambiguous enough so not to see anything if you didn't want to, of course. So the bottom line is that whatever you want to think about their relationship is find. That's the thing about ambiguity: nobody is wrong, everyone gets what they want.
Old 2009-08-23, 06:31   Link #829
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
You're thinking to much. I mean, this is a series where a taxi can jump from a bridge to a building's rooftop. 'Nuff said.

All those CanaanxMaria scenes in this episode were obvious yuri fanservice. The undertones were put there for anyone who wanted to see them. The scenes were ambiguous enough so not to see anything if you didn't want to, of course. So the bottom line is that whatever you want to think about their relationship is find. That's the thing about ambiguity: nobody is wrong, everyone gets what they want.
True but a line does exist. People do analyze character relationships in titles that they watch. If plausible then no problem. If not, the title gets shredded imo.

If it crosses the line, it won't make as much money as if it stays behind the line. Titles that are expected to sell well in R1 get dubs. Yuri titles don't get that here nowadays.

And about Liang, she was written off easily by Alphard. So she just had an obsession that wasn't reciprocated. No yuri relationship imo.
Old 2009-08-23, 06:34   Link #830
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Episode 8:
Old 2009-08-23, 06:34   Link #831
Kazu-kun

Quote:
True but a line does exist. People do analyze character relationships in titles that they watch. If it crosses the line, it won't make as much money as if it stays behind the line.
But that's it. It's no about staying behind or crossing the line, it's about being over the line. That's what makes the most money, because it doesn't deny any possibility.
Old 2009-08-23, 06:41   Link #832
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
But that's it. It's no about staying behind or crossing the line, it's about being over the line. That's what makes the most money, because it doesn't deny any possibility.
Over here, it gets put into subtitle hell. It won't make as much income as it would otherwise. Stores like Best Buy will only carry something like 2copies physically in the store if you're lucky. 50% of the anime buying population (dub population) will be alienated imo. You see this a lot on English speaking anime forums. Even if a dub fan watched it subtitled as a fansub, he/she will still refuse to buy it as a sub version.

I do think too much. Sorry.
Old 2009-08-23, 06:48   Link #833
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Over here, it gets put into subtitle hell. It won't make as much income as it would otherwise. Stores like Best Buy will only carry something like 2 copies. 50% of the anime buying population (dub population) will be alienated imo.
Sorry for them then? Na, this series' meat is action, and that it has plenty. If it's going to be licensed, it's going to be licensed because of that, regardless of any yuri subtext it may have.
Old 2009-08-23, 06:53   Link #834
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I think we needs to make one thing clear first: are we discussing whether MariaxCanaan has yuri relationship, or whether Maria and Canaan moments can be seen as yuri? Because the answer for the first one is obviously we are not sure yet, and the second one is yes as they didn't invent the yuri google (and Mugi vision) for nothing.

In short, we basically lacking information to decide now so rather than argue whether it exist or not, how about discuss based on assuming that it did (or did not) exist. Let's see... start with: "Who will be more in the leading role if they are in a yuri relationship, the clueless white hair or the childish amnesia blond?"

PS: believe or not, there are things that i read very casually before into yuri, then i read it again and was like "wow, how did i miss it, it was surely a subtext moment....". So yeah i think people who not into yuri will praise their friendship, while we totally can enjoy their yuri moments
Old 2009-08-23, 07:09   Link #835
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Spoiler for the type moon ladies:
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 08:02   Link #836
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ Lol, Canaan doesn't even bother.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 08:25   Link #837
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I think we needs to make one thing clear first: are we discussing whether MariaxCanaan has yuri relationship, or whether Maria and Canaan moments can be seen as yuri? Because the answer for the first one is obviously we are not sure yet, and the second one is yes as they didn't invent the yuri google (and Mugi vision) for nothing.
The way i see it, it's upto the viewer to decide.

A) Deep friendship
B) Yuri relationship

I'm pointing more towards A, though that's just my opinion.
Old 2009-08-23, 09:25   Link #838
TCman

I would say that the Canaan x Maria relationship is closer to shoujo-ai, since their relation really remind me of Jo and Meg from Burst Angel (Bakuretsu Tenshi).

As for episode 8, it is okay, nothing spectacular happened, but my favorite character comes back at the very end of the show, Yun Yun.

Last edited by TCman; 2009-08-23 at 10:52.
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 11:36   Link #839
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
The way i see it, it's upto the viewer to decide.

A) Deep friendship
B) Yuri relationship

I'm pointing more towards A, though that's just my opinion.
How about this then?
They have a deep relationship that it seems as it goes on through the ordeals they face it's becoming a yuri relationship. For me that was a yuri moment for the two... but it's still too early for it to be a yuri relationship.... this is just one of those stepping stone moments to get to the yuri relationship. l've always seen Maria before this episode to have more then just friends feelings for Canaan.... l wasn't so sure about canaan but after this episode the possibility of these two having a yuri relationship looks highly pausible now.
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 11:38   Link #840
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

& the way i see it, Maria's feelings for Canaan are only of friendship. Not just any friendship though, because it's obvious at how strong each of them care for the other in that respect.

I will admit that the scene in this weeks episode can be classed as a yuri moment, though i don't think it'll effect the two that much. Could be wrong, though that's just my opinion on the matter.

Tags
animage, type moon