Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-07-18, 22:28   Link #1
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

The link: http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/

Has anyone heard of this game yet? I hope so. If you're a Star Wars fan in the least, you gotta keep an eye out for this one. Looks to be one of the best Star Wars games to date. Forget any sense of "realism" you had concerning the Force. This stuff is OUT OF THIS WORLD and looks to be a hell of an awesome game they're developing. I can't wait.

Scheduled to come out Spring of 2008. Yay!

Core gameplay? "Kicking someone's ass with the Force."

Last edited by Spectacular_Insanity; 2007-07-18 at 22:43.
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 00:09   Link #2
jedinat

Cool. I'm guessing it's an FPS? (well, third person shooter)

I really wish they would make some post-original trilogy games though... this one seems to be set between episodes III and IV.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 02:22   Link #3
Nintendo
start thinkin bout clones

Send a message via AIM to Nintendo
looks good. i know im picking this one up.
Old 2007-07-20, 02:34   Link #4
stpehen
kisses for all

The technical details about the engines they're using in the game are pretty awesome. I honestly haven't been excited about a single Star Wars game since the days of Dark Forces and TIE Fighter, so it's like the kid inside me is poking out once again.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 18:21   Link #5
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Cool. I'm guessing it's an FPS? (well, third person shooter)

I really wish they would make some post-original trilogy games though... this one seems to be set between episodes III and IV.
Well, the problem with that is, where would they start? I mean, there's 30-odd years from the end of the last Star Wars games, most of which end around Return of the Jedi, except for maybe the Jedi Knight series. I mean, can they really just start off putting out games that date around the New Jedi Order series? No way! People who haven't read the books---the vast majority of books at that (like I have)---would end up being immensely confused, I think. If they were make another game dating ABY (after the Battle of Bavin), then it would definitely be something like Truce at Bakura or maybe even as far out as the Thrawn Crisis or the Jedi Academy Trilogy (by Kevin J. Anderson). The jump might be iffy, though, and the game might fade into obscurity, kind of like Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy for the XBOX.
Old 2007-07-22, 09:27   Link #6
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I mean, can they really just start off putting out games that date around the New Jedi Order series? No way! People who haven't read the books---the vast majority of books at that (like I have)---would end up being immensely confused, I think.
Not necessarily, the great thing about Star Wars is that it has a built in place to put the necessary back story for the player to know what is going on. A player would actually have a better understanding of what is going on in a post Return of the Jedi game than they did before playing something like Kotor where they pretty much hoped into a blank slate. Personally, I'd prefer more games set well into the past since I think it would allow for more creative designs for ships and whatnot.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 09:04   Link #7
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Took me sometime to dig this thread from the cemetery.

Anyway, I just got myself a copy for the Nintendo Wii. Yes, I know it's crap compared to the PS3 and Xbox360, but I'm just eager to know the story and can't wait till I saved enough for a PS3.

Storywise, as someone who's into Star Wars, I love it. The setting between Episodes III and IV was just perfectly dark enough to fit lots of interesting material, with lots of characters from the Prequel and Classic trilogies and Expanded Universe involved, but not too overwhelming for any newcomer. And Vader's secret apprentice, Starkiller, simply kicks ass with what you can do with the Force.

For the Wii version gameplay, while swinging a lightsaber around like a real Jedi/Sith can be cool at first, the arms become tiring after a while, and some of the battles can be quite tough. And let's not get started with graphics, so I'll definitely be getting the PS3 version once I get my hands on the machine.

So anyone here to give us a comment on the much superior PS3/XB360 versions?
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 11:36   Link #8
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I rented this game (PS3 version) and beat it in a couple of days.

There's a lot of potential in this game, and I wish they can flesh it out in the following installments, if there are any.

It pisses me off a bit, it's quite buggy, the level design is somewhat confusing sometimes. The force powers are great but there are too many enemies who are somehow resilient to force powers (even if they aren't there are too many attack you at the same time that you can't even grip anyone). This forces you to rely on your lightsabre, and the lightsabre combat in this game is extremely shallow. It's basically square square square (sometimes throw a triangle or a circle), it also feels more like a giant glowing bat than a hot laser sword that can cut through anything. The lock on system is quite poor too, sometimes in the heat of the moment, Starkiller can kiss an opponent even if they are literally inches away from you, and you are locked on to them (he can even miss force lightning).

Enemies can also kick you while you're on the ground, I know this might be 'realistic', but it's a lot more annoying. Because it takes Starkiller quite a long time to get back up, even with his force air recovery, during this downtime they can keep attacking you. If you're not lucky you might get stuck in a loop until you die.

Enemies are also not varied enough. An ATST is EXACTLY the same as a Rancor, no difference whatsoever. You kill them the same way, they move the same way have the same attacks.

But this game still does have potential and proves that Star Wars CAN be made into an awesome next-gen game if enough attention is given to it. If only someone would pick up where Jedi Knight left off.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 13:44   Link #9
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Following installments? How would a sequel to this work exactly plot wise?

Anyway despite that mixed reviews and somewhat harsh reviews I've seen on this game, I rather enjoyed the game for what it is, a hack and slash game with a little bit of customization involved, and the length of the game is fine, not too short but not too long either so it evens out. I dunno why so many people want insanely long games for action games like this.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 17:11   Link #10
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Any physics-based game is bound to have bugs, but this game took it a bit over the top = /

Hopefully some fixes will come out.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 16:02   Link #11
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
The Ultimate Sith Edition will be coming out for The Force Unleashed on the 360/PS3/PC/Mac versions Fall 2009; This time around, it follows through with the non-canon Sith Ending, where Starkiller works for The Emperor, and will include some familiar stuff from the original trilogy...

Starkiller versus Obi-Wan and Luke? omgwtf
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 16:09   Link #12
Galatea33
the opposing wind

Send a message via Yahoo to Galatea33
I love this game, the Jedi and Jungle outfit is awesome ^u^ !

* Read da sig and do it! Cos' Ophelia says sO
Galatea33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 16:15   Link #13
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
The Ultimate Sith Edition will be coming out for The Force Unleashed on the 360/PS3/PC/Mac versions Fall 2009; This time around, it follows through with the non-canon Sith Ending, where Starkiller works for The Emperor, and will include some familiar stuff from the original trilogy...

Starkiller versus Obi-Wan and Luke? omgwtf
Wait wait wait, a star wars game in which the dark side actually wins? In which you play as the bad guy from start to finish?

Oh, I'm buying this one.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 16:24   Link #14
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
This game was a major dissapointment for me..
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 18:06   Link #15
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

I loved the game...Being a Star Wars fan (Though not die-hard, having limited myself to the 6 Episodes), I thought it was just fun as shit going around and destroying everything in your path with insane Force powers that made the fights of Episode III look like relative basic training, making Galen Marek (At least in my book) the single most badass Star Wars character ever thus far...When was the last time you saw someone single-handedly dismantle an AT-ST or use the Force to pull a Star Destroyer out of the sky? Or just wipe both Sith Lords asses on the floor one after the other?

Yeah, some things were a bit off...EVO Troopers and Incinerator Troopers that can survive more than one lightsaber slash, an AT-ST that doesn't short out after having almost 10 seconds of Force Lightning poured into it, and of course the ever-broken Purge Troopers that frustrate you more as an environmental enemy than most of the true bosses...But even despite all that, I still enjoyed the gameplay; Fun, quick, and easy to pick up...Some people complained about the lock-on system, but I never found any problems with it; Sometimes it wouldn't lock-on stuff the way you wanted it to, but most times I found it still cooperative...

I think the only real moment of absolute frustration I found with the game was during the second Raxus Prime mission where you had to pull the Star Destroyer down into the Core...Why the fuck do I have to have it perfectly straight before I can rip it out of the sky? Those damn Tie-Fighters didn't exactly help either; Which reminds me, the only time I hated the lock-on system was when used against the Tie Fighters during that part, in which it was rendered almost completely impractical, and luck almost seemed to play a bigger factor...

Otherwise, I played it as much for the story as I did the game..."Vader had an Apprentice? Whoa..."...Plus, it was a nice bridge of general events between the end of Episode III and the beginning of Episode IV, and it's canon too...

I can't wait for the Ultimate Sith Edition to come out...It's ironic; Galen Marek has defeated Darth Vader, and now he gets to fight Obi-Wan Kenobi, the last person before Galen Marek to have defeated Vader, and Luke Skywalker, the next person who would've have otherwise been the last one to defeat Vader...It's almost like a Battle Royale against all those capable of kicking Vader's ass...

Oh, and there's Boba Fett for fanservice's sake...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-08-02, 21:17   Link #16
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

it saddened me to see the extremely bad graphics on the characters, it looked like PS2 -_- the SC4 Apprentice looked 100 times cooler .
Old 2009-08-03, 03:34   Link #17
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Bad graphics? What standards are you holding up to? There's nothing wrong with them...

Quite frankly with Soul Calibur IV, you can't screw up Vader's armor or Yoda's puppet look, but the facial design on Starkiller doesn't look right, like he's in a constant state of dementia or arrogance...

Unless of course you rather let Lucasfilm Animation run the graphics of The Force Unleashed, the same people that did the pathetic-looking 3D animation to The Clone Wars...
Old 2009-08-03, 04:14   Link #18
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Which was a choice in style, not a limitation of the companies skill.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 10:41   Link #19
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Which was a choice in style, not a limitation of the companies skill.
I know that I was just saying if one is unhappy with supposedly good style with bad quality, they could always go for bad style with good quality...

But back on both terms of quality and style, I still don't see how The Force Unleashed went wrong, especially when LucasArts went all-out to bring the guys at Industrial Light & Magic into the project...

To be fair, consoles do have their constants while computers are more variable depending on the hardware a person has on their computer which could bring an output for better or worse...I don't know what platform that trailer was performed on...

Either case, it still looks far from "extremely bad graphics"...
Old 2009-08-03, 11:34   Link #20
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

i just remember seeing SC4's Starkiller then I saw the Unleashed trailer and I was like "wtf?"

Starkiller looked awesome in SC4 and he is Arrogant