AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-02-17, 16:31   Link #21
sneaker

I've overhauled the tutorial above, it should work better if your vsfilter has problems in DirectShow and it works with videos that have a changed DAR.

You'll need:
AviSynth
MeGUI
VSFilter
Haali's Media Splitter
MKVToolnix
MKVExtract GUI
mkv2vob

First install everything and observe the following:
1. copy the vsfilter.dll to your aviynth plugin directory (you do not need to register it in windows)
2. Open Haali's properties and make sure that "Autoload VSFilter" is NOT checked ("Autoload VSFilter = NO")
3. Make sure you have all DirectShow codecs installed that are needed for the video and the audio. (Like CoreAVC or ffdshow for H264 video)
4. Extract MKVExtract GUI into the MKVToolnix directory

To convert a file:
1. Open the file in your favorite Media Player and note its framerate (This is important for VFR files) and if the display resolution is the same as the one of the video track.
In Media Player Classic you can do it in the following way:
"File" -> "Properties" -> "Details".
There you'll find something like this:
"Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 720x480 (853:480) 23.98fps [Video]"
We'll note "23.976" (23.98 is 23.976 rounded).
Then we see that "720x480" is not the same as "853x480". We'll note "853x480" here. (We need a mod2 resolution for the resize later. It is recommended to even do a mod16 resize although it may not be required by codec).
So we'll get "854x480"(mod2) or "848x480" (mod16).
2. Open MKVExtract GUI, open your mkv file and extract the subtitle track you want to hardcode and all attachments.
3. Open windows notepad and enter the following:
Code:
DirectShowSource("YourAnimeFileWithSubs.mkv", fps=23.976, convertfps=true)
Spline36Resize(848,480)
TextSub("NameOfTheSubtitleTrackYouExtractedInStep2.aas")
- Set the fps according to the one you noted in step 1
- convertfps=true converts VFR to CFR (You can omit the "fps" and the "convertfps" parameters if you know your file is CFR. Most files are.)
- Spline36Resize rezises your file. You may use other rezisers if you want to. (Like the faster BilinearResize). If your video resolution and the display resolution are the same you omit this line.
- If you know that mkv2vob supports the audio track (it supports AC3s) of your mkvfile you may add a fourth parameter to "DirectShowSource": "audio=false"
Save the file as "YourFile.avs" and in the same folder as your mkv file.
4. Open MeGUI and load your script where it says "Avisynth Script" and close the preview window that opens.
5. Choose the profile you want to use under "Encoder settings". I'll guess "x264: Standalone-PS3-Xbox360_Fast" is probably the way to go. ( Click "Config" on the right to further tune the settings if you want. You could raise the bitrate (1000 may be a bit low for HD) and choosing "Const. Quality" instead of "Automated 2pass" may be a good way to save time)
6. Choose "MKV" under file format
7. Click "Enqueue". If your audio track is supported by mkv2vob click on "Queue" and "Start". Once the job is done you may clear the list and close MeGUI.
8. If your audio track is supported by mkv2vob skip this and the following step and directly go to step 10. If it isn't read on:
Open the avs script under "Audio Input" and choose the "Aften AC3*scratchpad*" profile. Click on "Queue" and "Start". Once the jobs are done you may clear the list and close MeGUI.
9. Open mkvmerge GUI and add the mkv file created in step 7 and the audio track created in step 8.
Skip step 10 and go to step 11
10. If your audio track is supported by mkv2vob open mkvmerge GUI, open your original mkv file and add the mkv file created in step 7. Uncheck everything except the added mkv avc video track and the audio track. (So only the new video track and a single audio track should be checked)
11. Choose a destination and click on "Start Muxing"
12. Open and convert the file created in step 11 with mkv2vob. If everything went right mkv2vob should only convert the audio (if necessary) and shouldn't touch the video.

OK, this wasn't very easy but it should provide a high quality and after you've done it once you should be able to do it quickly.
Hope it works for you!

/edit: uses MeGUI for audio encoding now instead of WavToAC3Encode
/edit2: changed output format to mkv as suggested by martino

Last edited by sneaker; 2009-02-17 at 19:17.
Old 2009-02-17, 16:41   Link #22
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
6. Choose "RAWAVC" under file format
If you do this then it's pointless the specify the fps in the .avs script.
Old 2009-02-17, 16:46   Link #23
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
If you do this then it's pointless the specify the fps in the .avs script.
I think it's not pointless as it is supposed to do a VFR -> CFR conversion. It's only pointless on CFR files.
Old 2009-02-17, 16:58   Link #24
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
I think it's not pointless as it is supposed to do a VFR -> CFR conversion. It's only pointless on CFR files.
Fair point... I don't get it though why you're choosing to use rawavc as output, and then you mux to mkv when you can have that done in one step by choosing mkv and don't need to specify the framerate again when muxing in with the audio. Seems like a roundabout way of doing things.

You also forgot to add that you need to demux all the fonts from the .mkv and install them.
Old 2009-02-17, 17:06   Link #25
sneaker

Quote:
Fair point... I don't get it though why you're choosing to use rawavc as output, and then you mux to mkv when you can have that done in one step by choosing mkv and don't need to specify the framerate again when muxing in with the audio. Seems like a roundabout way of doing things.
I guess you're right on that one. I think I'll change it.

Quote:
You also forgot to add that you need to demux all the fonts from the .mkv and install them.
I stated that you need to extract all attachments in mkvextract GUI. Those are the fonts. You don't need to install them in your windows directory, it's enough to have them in the same directory as the subtitle file.
Old 2009-02-17, 17:14   Link #26
sneaker

While we're at it, martino:
Do you know a way to do a VFR->CFR conversion using DGAVCIndex instead of DirectShowSource?
Old 2009-02-17, 17:33   Link #27
martino
makes no files now

Didn't know that VSFilter searches the directory where the script is for fonts as well... *scratches head*

I don't think that's possible. AFAIK DGAVC reads a raw avc stream, and those don't have any framerate information associated with them, so it shouldn't be possible. This is just theoretical though, I've never actually used the thing myself. Not sure why you'd want that though, DSS() does the job in the end.
Old 2009-02-17, 18:03   Link #28
sneaker

I think that DGAVCIndex is more robust. I don't really trust the DirectShow system. I thought that maybe there's a plugin you could use for VFR->CFR which you feed with the timecode file. But I guess there isn't.
Old 2009-02-17, 18:28   Link #29
martino
makes no files now

Well, there's FFMpegSource, and it can do a VFR->CFR conversion IIRC.
Old 2009-02-17, 18:36   Link #30
sneaker

Thanks, I just took a look and and it does seem to indeed support that.
Old 2009-05-19, 22:20   Link #31
Sancho

Just registered to say thanks to sneaker for his guide, it was easy to follow and worked perfectly. Exactly what I wanted.
Old 2009-06-13, 09:56   Link #32
jrs.reign

Keep in apperception that 720p and high resolution videos can't be streamed able-bodied via wireless, so you bigger accept a arrangement cable appropriate beside your PS3 :P

The alone downside i got is that, at atomic for me, i can use custom softsubs like i accept with every added player. It seems like that, for now, subtitles are ashore in one chantry type, but i don't anticipate it affairs much

NOTE: I could beck a few 720p MKVs via wireless flawlessly (could be 'cause of bitrate) but a lot of of the times it lags a bit or even break the video. annihilation that a abeyance and play doesn't break but still...

NOTE2: I just reminded that a acquaintance of abundance said that he could watch files on his PSP via Remote PS3 flawlessly.
Old 2010-03-31, 11:02   Link #33
RedSwirl

Quote:
I've overhauled the tutorial above, it should work better if your vsfilter has problems in DirectShow and it works with videos that have a changed DAR.

You'll need:
AviSynth
MeGUI
VSFilter
Haali's Media Splitter
MKVToolnix
MKVExtract GUI
mkv2vob

First install everything and observe the following:
1. copy the vsfilter.dll to your aviynth plugin directory (you do not need to register it in windows)
2. Open Haali's properties and make sure that "Autoload VSFilter" is NOT checked ("Autoload VSFilter = NO")
3. Make sure you have all DirectShow codecs installed that are needed for the video and the audio. (Like CoreAVC or ffdshow for H264 video)
4. Extract MKVExtract GUI into the MKVToolnix directory

To convert a file:
1. Open the file in your favorite Media Player and note its framerate (This is important for VFR files) and if the display resolution is the same as the one of the video track.
In Media Player Classic you can do it in the following way:
"File" -> "Properties" -> "Details".
There you'll find something like this:
"Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 720x480 (853:480) 23.98fps [Video]"
We'll note "23.976" (23.98 is 23.976 rounded).
Then we see that "720x480" is not the same as "853x480". We'll note "853x480" here. (We need a mod2 resolution for the resize later. It is recommended to even do a mod16 resize although it may not be required by codec).
So we'll get "854x480"(mod2) or "848x480" (mod16).
2. Open MKVExtract GUI, open your mkv file and extract the subtitle track you want to hardcode and all attachments.
3. Open windows notepad and enter the following:
Code:
DirectShowSource("YourAnimeFileWithSubs.mkv", fps=23.976, convertfps=true)
Spline36Resize(848,480)
TextSub("NameOfTheSubtitleTrackYouExtractedInStep2.aas")
- Set the fps according to the one you noted in step 1
- convertfps=true converts VFR to CFR (You can omit the "fps" and the "convertfps" parameters if you know your file is CFR. Most files are.)
- Spline36Resize rezises your file. You may use other rezisers if you want to. (Like the faster BilinearResize). If your video resolution and the display resolution are the same you omit this line.
- If you know that mkv2vob supports the audio track (it supports AC3s) of your mkvfile you may add a fourth parameter to "DirectShowSource": "audio=false"
Save the file as "YourFile.avs" and in the same folder as your mkv file.
4. Open MeGUI and load your script where it says "Avisynth Script" and close the preview window that opens.
5. Choose the profile you want to use under "Encoder settings". I'll guess "x264: Standalone-PS3-Xbox360_Fast" is probably the way to go. ( Click "Config" on the right to further tune the settings if you want. You could raise the bitrate (1000 may be a bit low for HD) and choosing "Const. Quality" instead of "Automated 2pass" may be a good way to save time)
6. Choose "MKV" under file format
7. Click "Enqueue". If your audio track is supported by mkv2vob click on "Queue" and "Start". Once the job is done you may clear the list and close MeGUI.
8. If your audio track is supported by mkv2vob skip this and the following step and directly go to step 10. If it isn't read on:
Open the avs script under "Audio Input" and choose the "Aften AC3*scratchpad*" profile. Click on "Queue" and "Start". Once the jobs are done you may clear the list and close MeGUI.
9. Open mkvmerge GUI and add the mkv file created in step 7 and the audio track created in step 8.
Skip step 10 and go to step 11
10. If your audio track is supported by mkv2vob open mkvmerge GUI, open your original mkv file and add the mkv file created in step 7. Uncheck everything except the added mkv avc video track and the audio track. (So only the new video track and a single audio track should be checked)
11. Choose a destination and click on "Start Muxing"
12. Open and convert the file created in step 11 with mkv2vob. If everything went right mkv2vob should only convert the audio (if necessary) and shouldn't touch the video.

OK, this wasn't very easy but it should provide a high quality and after you've done it once you should be able to do it quickly.
Hope it works for you!

/edit: uses MeGUI for audio encoding now instead of WavToAC3Encode
/edit2: changed output format to mkv as suggested by martino
I'll go ahead and try this, but is there really no simpler way to just extract the subtitle file from an MKV, convert the MKV into something else, and then put the subtitle file back in?

Tried that with format factory and it didn't work. Might try it again.
Old 2010-03-31, 13:01   Link #34
sneaker

There might be other ways (I remember seeing some other tutorials in this very forum), but I'm not familiar with any of them. And first converting and then putting the subtitle track "back in" does not work, because the subtitles mainly used for anime are only properly played back using a PC at the moment. Hardware players only offer very very limited support (read: better build a HTPC) today.

My tutorial also seems a bit outdated:
1.) MeGUI was abandoned and has been reactivated, but I didn't keep up with the development. Could be a bit different now.
2.) MKVExtractGUI is outdated and doesn't work reliably on all files. (Try MKVcleaver instead.)
3.) Fonts seem NOT to be automatically loaded. Copy them to system font folder or play the file in MPC while converting. (start video in mpc, click pause + minimize, convert the file and after completion close mpc)

But yeah, the whole conversion soft-subbed-mkv to X can be a real pain in the ass.
Old 2010-03-31, 13:09   Link #35
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

What's wrong with the PS3 Media Server? It saves you so much trouble.
Old 2010-03-31, 13:19   Link #36
sneaker

If it works? Nothing. Also spares me the troubles of having to answer PMs on this...
Old 2010-03-31, 16:38   Link #37
RedSwirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
What's wrong with the PS3 Media Server? It saves you so much trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3 View Post
Keep in mind that 720p and upper resolution videos can't be streamed well via wireless, so you better have a network cable right beside your PS3 :P
Most of the stuff I have is at least that resolution. A lot of it is 1080p, and I'm already having trouble with my wireless network as it is. I also don't have a network cable anywhere near my PS3.

I'd also prefer to just put the content on my PS3's hard drive. Part of the reason I upgraded it.
Old 2010-04-01, 23:03   Link #38
RedSwirl

As I feared, my wireless network couldn't really handle streaming and transcoding videos over PS3 media server.

I tried an episode of Durarara in 720p and it couldn't keep playing for any more than a second at a time. Plus, I got the same problem I had with mkv2vob: the styling on the subtitles was lost.

I don't get it. I struck gold once with Videora's PS3 converter. I still have two perfectly converted 1080p episodes of Michiko to Hatchin. They play on my PS3 with little to no quality loss AND soft subs that looked exactly like the subbers had originally styled them.

Anything more I try to convert through the same process however won't read at all on the PS3.
Old 2010-04-02, 09:44   Link #39
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

PMS talk cont'd: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...51#post2984051
Old 2010-04-02, 16:19   Link #40
RedSwirl

I've tried all kinds of settings across different transcoders in PS3 Media Center after reading its FAQ and no matter what I can't get a good enough connection, not even for smaller videos.

I'm trying to see if I can reproduce the effect I got with Videora. Somehow I was able to get it to hard-code the subtitles onto a couple videos. I'm trying to remember exactly how I did that.