AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2003-11-03, 21:27   Link #1
Dark_Voodoo
In The Navy

Exclamation Is my file corrupt? How you can check.

When you download a file from animesuki almost every file will have a row of letters and numbers in the file name ex. Stellvia_of_the_Universe_01_[r-b][9D5CFF64].avi. [9D5CFF64] is this files CRC.

CRC stands for "Cyclic Redundancy Check" or "Cyclic Redundancy Checksum" and is in a way a "fingerprint" of the entire file.

Now to actually have a use for these numbers you will need to have your own program that can calculate the CRC of your downloaded file.
Then you compare the calculated CRC with the one stated in the file name. If the two numbers coincide the file has not been corrupted during dowload and if you cant see it, it's probably due to codec problems.

To take our example, you calculate the CRC and the program shows you the CRC like this 9d5cff64 well dont worry its the same as 9D5CFF64. small or big letters dont matter.

This is also helpfull if your burning your anime to CD's since you can then check the CRC of the burnt files to see if the burn was succesful.

Edit: Ok found another CRC calculator that works
http://www.goat1000.com/index.html

Last edited by Dark_Voodoo; 2004-07-27 at 20:18.
Old 2003-11-04, 11:07   Link #2
[Titan]
Tenshi

If you have determined that one of your file is broken, then there are multiple ways to fix a damaged file.
  • 1. If the file is still available on bittorent, just open the torrent and treat the corrupted file as an incomplete download.
  • 2. If you know someone who has the complete file, get ZIDRAV (available for download here).
    1. The person with the corrupt file makes a checksum file, this checksum file contains a CRC for every 16 KB of data of the file.
    2. That person send the checksumfile to the person with the correct file
    3. The person with the correct file creates a patch, zidrav just checks which blocks of the file have a different CRC than in the checksum file, and puts those blocks in a patch file
    4. the patch file is sent to the person with the corrupt file
    5. the person with the corrupt file patches his file, now he's happy because his file is no longer corrupt.

Last edited by NightWish; 2003-12-23 at 14:18. Reason: Your sourceforge link had a typo that resulted in a "dodgy" redirect...
Old 2003-12-22, 20:21   Link #3
rahly
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
Hm, isn't it easier to use BitTorrent in the first place? Then you also know how much of the file is corrupt, where CRC only tells you that it is.
unless the file in the torrent is corrupted in the first place
Old 2003-12-23, 00:57   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

What The Small One is saying is that BitTorrent has an error-checker built in, so if you use a torrent file, then it will tell you if the file is corrupt. Then, if the file is corrupt, then BitTorrent will tell you what percentage of the file isn't corrupted. That's part of the beauty of BitTorrent.

However, if you don't have the BitTorrent file anymore, then you need to use the CRC to find out if it is corrupted.

As [Titan] says, you can use Zidrav to fix the file if it is corrupted. Or... if the file is still on BitTorrent, you can also use BitTorrent to fix it. That's another part of the beauty of BitTorrent.

While BitTorrent will do these jobs perfectly all on it's own. This usefulness comes to an end when a tracker is taken down. Once a file is no longer available on BitTorrent, these tools, CRC and Zidrav are nice to have.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-01-18, 10:03   Link #5
wondrous_kate
misanthropist

Sorry if I appear dense, but how does Bittorrent show that a file is corrupted, and how does it fix a corrupted file on its own?
Old 2004-01-18, 12:31   Link #6
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

How do I know the download isn't corrupted?

BitTorrent does cryptographic hashing (SHA1) of all data. When you see "Download succeeded!" you can be sure that BitTorrent has already verified the integrity of the data. The integrity and authenticity of a BitTorrent download is as good as the original request to the tracker. Checking the MD5/CRC32/other hash of a file downloaded via BitTorrent is redundant.

Source: http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent
Old 2004-01-25, 10:48   Link #7
wondrous_kate
misanthropist

Ok, but I believe I have a corrupted file because when I try to play it the video looks all scrambled up... Yet when I open up Bittorrent, the file does indeed say "Download Succeeded!" So do I have a different sort of problem on my hands???
Old 2004-01-25, 11:46   Link #8
Dark_Voodoo
In The Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondrous_kate
Ok, but I believe I have a corrupted file because when I try to play it the video looks all scrambled up... Yet when I open up Bittorrent, the file does indeed say "Download Succeeded!" So do I have a different sort of problem on my hands???
Most probably Yes. That sounds more like a codec problem.
And as you know you should check the Most common issues solved here thread and the Media Configuration Guide thread first. And if that dosent help check the forum for a thread concerning your problem. But if none of these things help, please create a new thread for it and describe your problem for us and we will help you solve it. ^_^
Old 2004-01-25, 12:04   Link #9
wondrous_kate
misanthropist

Oops, I'm sorry, this is the first time I've encountered problems, so please forgive me. I referred to those posts and they helped me out. So thank you very much! I will be more careful about posting in the future. ^^;;
Old 2004-04-18, 23:11   Link #10
Wind

Hi, if the avi file (esp) plays but the quality of the screen turns all green - hard to see the what's going on. Is the file corrupted? Or should i use a different player to play it? By the way i was using DivX before.

(avi file - indicating Slam Dunk esp 89-96)
Old 2004-05-02, 10:05   Link #11
KenMasters

Question Bakasan

Whenever I download something from/of bakasan (I'm talking about Naruto subs now) I can't seem to open the files. Werheas I CAN download and play the ANBU subs...

What's going on? Can some one help me?

KenMasters
Old 2004-05-06, 21:01   Link #12
edwardelric
ANime Freak

Smile um i have a problem playing it back

um when i play naruto episiod 81 on microsoft media player it says there is a error with the code. is it because i don't have a decoder for mp4 or is it somthing else. PLEASE TELL ME if it the MP4 where do you download the docoder

THANKS YA'LL ARe SO HELPFUL
Old 2004-05-12, 11:15   Link #13
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Voodoo
Now to actually have a use for these numbers you will need to have your own program that can calculate the CRC of your downloaded file.
Here at Cyberdyne-software you can find such a program. It works with Windows 9X/NT but also XP.
That link is not working. Anyone know where to find this software? What's the name of that software?
Old 2004-05-13, 13:34   Link #14
guess

sorry, I found it now.
Old 2004-05-27, 12:05   Link #15
shinichiroumikinofan
Naze ikiteru no ka?

Send a message via MSN to shinichiroumikinofan
Unhappy I'm having problems... T_T

Hello everybody...

I hope you'll be able to help me. I've downloaded avi files almost since Bittorrent was created because that's one of the only ways I have to download things. So far, it had worked really fine. But lately, for some unknown reason, some files appear to be corrupted in some way that causes an error in every program I open it in (Windows Media Player, BSPlayer, Divx Player) as well as causing the Explorer to crash when I click over it to see the preview file that appears at the left side of the screen... It's so frustrating!! It took me 3 months to download the whole package of "Yami to boushi to hon no tabibito" and now I can only play files 01, 02 and 03. Almost all the others (from 04 to 13) make the Explorer crash and cause the error in the programs!! I also downloaded "Rockman EXE Axess 11" from Wolf Pack Productions or something like that (I got the link off of Animesuki: http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/286.html) and it also had the same problem!!

At first, I thought it would be that single file (the Rockman EXE Axess one) so I deleted it and downloaded it again. It didn't work. I deleted it again and told myself I should fine some other way to download it... So I downloaded other things (Area 88, Initial D 4th Stage, etc, etc) and they worked fine. But then Yami To Boushi To Hon no Tabibito finished and IT WAS ALL BAD!! Almost all the files had the problems I just described to you! T_T

Does any of you have any idea of what's the matter?? Am I right thinking that the files are the corrupted ones (even though I downloaded Rockman ep 11 twice and it didn't work)? Or what can it be? Why some files are bad (even inside the very same giant package, like in Yami To Boushi To Hon no Tabibito's case) and some others aren't? Can someone suggest me a solution for this damned problem? PLEASE!! I'm really desperated... -_-UUU

In case you're wondering, I use Windows XP Professional and Home Edition (in the two different PCs where I've tested the files) and I've tested them with Windows Media Player 9 Series, Divx Player and BSPlayer. I don't know if you need any other information...

Thank you, in advance, for your help. I've asked in other places and people has told me: "You shouldn't use bittorrent or any other p2p program because it's dangerous and you don't know what you're downloading, so screw you!"... I hope here I'll find a more hopeful answer, ne.... u_uU

Hugs,
A-chan [the desperated fro watching anime series that have taken months to download Miki Shin-ichirou's fan and lover forever u_uU]
Old 2004-05-27, 12:07   Link #16
shinichiroumikinofan
Naze ikiteru no ka?

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
That link is not working. Anyone know where to find this software? What's the name of that software?
I would like to know also... Maybe checking that CRC thing I can find if my files are actually corrupted... :P
Old 2004-05-27, 12:53   Link #17
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
@shinichiroumikinofan
I don't think the files are corrupt. If you download them with BitTorrent it will do a hash check itself. If it says it's ok, then the files should be the same as the original (the original could also be corrupted, though).
Anyway, crashing is not good sign even if the files were corrupted. Sounds to me like some codec conflicts.
Get yourself the newest MPlayer:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/rele...CVS-040518.zip
Unzip this and drag one of the video files on the MPlayer icon. MPlayer doesn't use DirectShow and handels everything itself (best player available anyway). If it plays in MPlayer you've got codec troubles and else the files are really corrupted.
Old 2004-05-27, 19:37   Link #18
shinichiroumikinofan
Naze ikiteru no ka?

Cool ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer
@shinichiroumikinofan
I don't think the files are corrupt. If you download them with BitTorrent it will do a hash check itself. If it says it's ok, then the files should be the same as the original (the original could also be corrupted, though).
Anyway, crashing is not good sign even if the files were corrupted. Sounds to me like some codec conflicts.
Get yourself the newest MPlayer:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/rele...CVS-040518.zip
Unzip this and drag one of the video files on the MPlayer icon. MPlayer doesn't use DirectShow and handels everything itself (best player available anyway). If it plays in MPlayer you've got codec troubles and else the files are really corrupted.
Okis. I'm gonna try what you suggested me and I'll see what happens. Thank you for your suggestion and help!! I hope it's some codec problem... ^^

I'll post later. ^_~ Thank you!
Old 2004-05-27, 19:57   Link #19
shinichiroumikinofan
Naze ikiteru no ka?

Cool

Ok. I did what you suggested me and MPlayer was able to open the file and to play it without problems. The problem was that the Explorer crashed anyway. So, I could still watch the file while all the things behind the screen where trembling and closing themselves since the explorer crashed... :P But at least I'll be able to watch the file. My question is if there's a way to make it work without crashing the explorer... That's something I can't get. Why do these files crash the Explorer and all the other video programs? This program you suggested me has been the only one that could playe it without crashing, even though the Explorer crashed when I clicked over the file to drag it to the MPlayer icon, as you said... T_T

Anyway, I'm happier thanks to you. At least, I'll be able to watch the episodes. even if I have to stand another crash of the Windows Explorer (or the Internet Explorer... Both crash...)... :P

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! ^_^ You're the best. But, if you can think of something to solve the crashings, I would really appreciate it.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Your thankful friend and devote fan from now on,
Andrea. ^^

PS: If I uninstall all the other programs and codecs and re-install only the ones the programs ask for when I try to play a file in them, could that correct the problem and make the explorer stpp crashing?

Last edited by shinichiroumikinofan; 2004-05-27 at 19:59. Reason: I forgot to add something!
Old 2004-05-28, 06:29   Link #20
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
What's crashing is DirectShow, a windows technology used to playback video. It's used by almost all video players on windows and also by explorer to preview the videos. This is propably why explorer crashes, too. I had a similar problem some time ago. If you look at your folder in list and not miniature mode, so that explorer doesn't need to preview the videos, it sould work without a crash. This is not always easy because explorer sometimes decides for you that it should display thumbnails even if you don't want to.
MPlayer works because it doesn't rely on DirectShow. It was originally developed for Linux and there you don't have any DirectShow. It was only later back-'proted' to Windows.

As mentioned above, you've propably got some codec troubles. Try removing all codecs and reinstalling them. It might help.

Tags
wiki candidate