Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-23, 08:53   Link #121
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I wouldn't call it negative to have other card game posters in it. It's expected to have at least Magic the Gathering in the store. Being Japan YuGiOh and Pokemon are also prob mandatory.
Oh, I added that line to highlight that there are more than one ways to look at something just for cohen who seems to be taking offense from that poster being in the show. I personally see nothing wrong with references to other existing titles, as the rest of my post explains.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 09:02   Link #122
cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I wouldn't call it negative to have other card game posters in it. It's expected to have at least Magic the Gathering in the store. Being Japan, YuGiOh and Pokemon are also prob mandatory.

And since YuGiOh creators are behind this, it really would be unusual for a lawsuit to result out of this.
AKira Itou is not a Yugioh creator, he merely drew Yugioh R and directed the story Kazuku Takahashi gave him. That ANN article has some facts wrong.

Yeah, it makes sense to have other card games in the card shop, it just feels odd they would go realitic, implying Vanguard is ahead of them.
Old 2011-01-23, 09:10   Link #123
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohen View Post
Yeah, it makes sense to have other card games in the card shop, it just feels odd they would go realitic, implying Vanguard is ahead of them.
Anime is about Vanguard. Kids in that shop play Vanguard exclusively. When something like that happens, then the game is ahead of the others. You didn't see kids playing Beyblade in Bakugan and vice versa. In those 2 titles, the competitor just doesn't exist.
Old 2011-01-23, 10:15   Link #124
cohen

There were kids in the shop playing what looked like Magic, with a multitude of cards on the field, more than 6. I assume they were playing something besides Vangaurd. In fact, for a game so popular in that world, more kids were playing the other game.
Old 2011-01-23, 12:50   Link #125
bayoab

Quote:
But different games are popular at different shops. At that shop, Vanguard is the most popular. The shop I used to go was barren of Yugioh players whenever I looked in but I knew they were a few players from what the shop sold. Yet, whenever I go to an anime convention, Yugioh seems far more popular than Magic.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 14:09   Link #126
cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
But different games are popular at different shops. At that shop, Vanguard is the most popular. The shop I used to go was barren of Yugioh players whenever I looked in but I knew they were a few players from what the shop sold. Yet, whenever I go to an anime convention, Yugioh seems far more popular than Magic.
I like that explanation, makes sense how the shop guy (so far my second favorite character) says how it is all the rage. At shops near me, Hero Cliques were all the rage, and we all know how they turned out (bombed).

So, favorite character times. I don't know her name, but the chick behind the counter is my favorite character right now, followed by the shopkeeper (mostly for how he says his niece was scary "Kuai Kuai") then Emi, and that is it. I don't like Aichi, looks too femanine for my tastes.
Old 2011-01-23, 14:41   Link #127
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
I'll just make questions as I rewatch each episode more carefully this time. Questions on episode 1. The game starts with a zero grade card. What is the point of that? Does it offer anything to grade 1 on it?

In the same fashion, do lower grades offer anything to those they get covered by?

Does the second vanguard needs to be equal or lower level that the first or does it always start at 1?

Can you place as many vanguards as you like on the same round?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 15:05   Link #128
cohen

Well, I thought they start with grade 1, then evolve it up to grade 3. Or perhaps Aichi used a grade 0 while the V guy used a 1 (he has no 0). Aichi upgraded to Maron (Hyper Librarian rip) then Blaster Blade. The V guy rode the same lv 1 the whole fight.

I think you can only guard with a level below what you have, and you can only activate certain effects if you upgraded successfully. Of course, QUarkboy will have to verify that for us.

As far as my understanding goes, you can upgrade 1 grade a turn, and place as many monsters as you want from your hand. My only question pertains to checking for a trigger, specifically heal triggers. When checking for drive triggers, it is optional? And for heal triggers, do you first discard for the damage counter, then draw to check for heal (which would then go to hand) or first check (go to hand) then discard. I don't understand how V guy was able to add a monster to his hand when it should have went to the damage counters.
Old 2011-01-23, 15:24   Link #129
roriconfan
Banned

Ι'm sure they said you start with grade 0, whatever that means.

Hold on, I thought only cards with "block" symbol from your hand are allowed to be used as blockers while you are being attacked. And they retire no matter what happens.

Also on a tie the defender gets damage but his vanguard does not retire. right? And an attacking unit never retires if its power is lower.

What happens to a rearguard if its vanguard gets defeated? Does it become a vanguard in its place? Does it remain there forever? Does it retire as well? Do rearguards upgrade?

Damage cards can be used to trigger special effects as I remember from episode 2. That means you get special bonuses like untapping (standing up) by turning a damage card upside down. So a player on the brink of death has some bonus to even the game. I liked that.
Old 2011-01-23, 15:41   Link #130
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
I'll just make questions as I rewatch each episode more carefully this time. Questions on episode 1. The game starts with a zero grade card. What is the point of that? Does it offer anything to grade 1 on it?

In the same fashion, do lower grades offer anything to those they get covered by?
The point is that you slowly increase your main creatures power and increase what creatures you can support it with. And no, they offer nothing to the new one (yet).

Quote:
Does the second vanguard needs to be equal or lower level that the first or does it always start at 1?

Can you place as many vanguards as you like on the same round?
1 per turn. 1 step at a time. You must go 0->3 incrementally.

This is all explained better in a later ep.
Quote:
I think you can only guard with a level below what you have, and you can only activate certain effects if you upgraded successfully. Of course, QUarkboy will have to verify that for us.
Correct, a guard counts as a call.

Quote:
When checking for drive triggers, it is optional?
Only when the Vanguard is attacking is my understanding.

Quote:
And for heal triggers, do you first discard for the damage counter, then draw to check for heal (which would then go to hand) or first check (go to hand) then discard. I don't understand how V guy was able to add a monster to his hand when it should have went to the damage counters.
My reading of the rules is that you process alleach triggers after each drawing for damage. (The question being if you pull the "draw" trigger when you have 2 damage to check for on the expert sheet.)

Quote:
Ι'm sure they said you start with grade 0, whatever that means.
I'm going to spoiler this because it hasn't been said yet.
Spoiler for What the grades mean:

Quote:
Hold on, I thought only cards with "block" symbol from your hand are allowed to be used as blockers while you are being attacked. And they retire no matter what happens.
The area on the side of the card tells whether it can guard or not.

Look at here (They changed it and removed the old cards.). Notice how the first two dragons have nothing on the left but the lower 2 cards have guard strengths.

And yes, they retire at the end of the attack.
Quote:
Also on a tie the defender gets damage but his vanguard does not retire. right? And an attacking unit never retires if its power is lower.
Yes, an attacking unit can never be retired for losing (so attack away says the rule sheet) and ties always go to the attacker.

Quote:
What happens to a rearguard if its vanguard gets defeated? Does it become a vanguard in its place? Does it remain there forever? Does it retire as well? Do rearguards upgrade?
Vanguards cannot be retired. They stay if they lose.

Last edited by bayoab; 2011-01-24 at 02:39. Reason: Correction
Old 2011-01-23, 15:53   Link #131
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

You sure picked this game up pretty quickly bayoab o.o
Old 2011-01-23, 16:43   Link #132
roriconfan
Banned

So, your first unit is the one and only vanguard in the game. All others are rearguards that can retire but not the vanguard.

Whoa, what is this? On episode 3 Aichi summons Blaster Blade (grade 3) and then 2 grade-2-units next to him and 1 support behind him. Does that mean you can summon 2s immediately if you have a 3?

Can you replace the support card behind the vanguard with another one for a better bonus?

And check out episode 3 at 19:55. They forgot to draw the cards on the table, lol.

Jeez, this game only lasts around 6 rounds and most cards so far have identical numbers and uses (not to mention artwork). Give us more variety!
Old 2011-01-24, 02:35   Link #133
bayoab

Note: There are TWO rule sets. Flash Fight (Even faster) and Standard. The show will be using standard. There is only one important difference but it hasn't been mentioned in the show yet.

And, a correction to an earlier:

You process all triggers after drawing for damage.

Should read:

You process each trigger after each draw for damage.
2 Damage => Damage trigger -> Do effect -> Damage trigger -> Do effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
You sure picked this game up pretty quickly bayoab o.o
The rules listed on those two sheets aren't really that complex if you've played other card games like Pokemon or Yugioh.
And I just wanted an answer to one simple question and ended up skimming it all.
And now I'm actually paying attention to it.

Quote:
So, your first unit is the one and only vanguard in the game. All others are rearguards that can retire but not the vanguard.
Whatever card is in the center middle is your vanguard. You can change it 1x per turn.

Quote:
Whoa, what is this? On episode 3 Aichi summons Blaster Blade (grade 3) and then 2 grade-2-units next to him and 1 support behind him. Does that mean you can summon 2s immediately if you have a 3?
You can summon equal or lower grades to any of the other spot.

Quote:
Can you replace the support card behind the vanguard with another one for a better bonus?
Spoiler for Not mentioned yet:
Old 2011-01-24, 03:25   Link #134
roriconfan
Banned

And a few more questions...

So if your vanguard is grade 3 all other summons can be grade 3 from the beginning as well?
Does the attack bonus a support unit gives to the attacker is the same as its defense number?
Does the defense number simply lower the attack number of the attacker when used as guard?
Does that grade 3 dragon untap (stand up) immediately by just flipping upside down a damage card? Can you flip all your cards at once to attack 5 times in a row with it or is there some other restriction? (the opponent on episode 2 did it 3 times by flipping 2 damage cards)
Does that Yddrazil woman unit heal 1 damage only when you have more damage cards than the opponent? Why did Aichi have 2 flipped damage cards when he did that?
Do trigger cards while attacking or defending go to your hand even when they trigger something? (I noticed the Yggdrazil healer went to the damage cards while critical cards went to your hand.
Do you always draw a trigger card when attacking?
Do you draw a trigger card only when someone attacks your vanguard?
Is there a maximum number of cards you are allowed to hold in your hand or is it unlimited?
Running out of cards to draw means automatic defeat?

Last edited by roriconfan; 2011-01-24 at 03:39.
Old 2011-01-28, 20:14   Link #135
cohen

With a new episodes, things get better, and more interesting. For one, no, it isn't unique for overlaid cards to do other things than just be there. Duel Masters does some funky things with them, as does Yugioh (such as sending a unit to the graveyard to increase attack). It isn't far out of the range for it to muster in Yugioh to be able to special summon one of the monsters overlaid, just like Masaki did.

Seeing Aichi lose was well needed, and it was worth it. This had so far the best match, and has been the best episode.

Aichi is a typical "I worship my rival like he is already better than me" type of character. I have seen them too many times, especially after reading Eyeshield 21 which has the same exact type of position. Sena worships his rival as being better than he is, and needs to win against him, and feels his first win wasn't legit (Sena beat Shin at the last moment). In this show, however, it doesn't seem the same. Aichi is much more nervous about himself, and to worship a guy who basically said he sucked as he lost to Aichi is really odd. At least in other shows, like E21, Shin, the rival, acknowledged their rival's power. Kai didn't seem to do that, and thought his rival to be was trash.

Aichi ... when is he going to grow up and stop acting so nervous?
Old 2011-01-28, 21:31   Link #136
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Spoiler for Episode4:
Old 2011-01-28, 21:34   Link #137
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Good ep, possibly the best yet. The vanguard fight this time was the best we've seen yet, and was actually quite engaging. I'm glad to see that they are introducing new card effects. if it had gone on like it was, it would have gotten boring.

Also, Misaki's character kind of surprised me. I was expecting her to be a lot more stoic for some reason, but she seemed a bit more passionate than I thought.

Maybe it's because I'm used to emotionless girls in anime?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 21:54   Link #138
bayoab

Yay cliche episode that wasn't bad. Too bad the BMG look clone is a grade 0. Only real annoyance is that they aren't writing the abilities on the card and are making the color area that tells you it has an ability too small to recognize too.

Copied from another forum...
English rules: http://cf-vanguard.wikidot.com/rules-faqs
Now, stuff that's not there yet...
Quote:
So if your vanguard is grade 3 all other summons can be grade 3 from the beginning as well?
Yes, but you can't start at grade 3.

Quote:
Does that grade 3 dragon untap (stand up) immediately by just flipping upside down a damage card? Can you flip all your cards at once to attack 5 times in a row with it or is there some other restriction? (the opponent on episode 2 did it 3 times by flipping 2 damage cards)
Activated effect by flipping damage cards. Stands up everytime a unit is retired.

Quote:
Do trigger cards while attacking or defending go to your hand even when they trigger something? (I noticed the Yggdrazil healer went to the damage cards while critical cards went to your hand.
Attacking goes to hand. Damage goes to damage area.

Quote:
Running out of cards to draw means automatic defeat?
Yes
Old 2011-01-28, 21:59   Link #139
cohen

But really, why does Aichi worship his rival, when his rival doesn't respect him?
Old 2011-01-28, 22:34   Link #140
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Also, Misaki's character kind of surprised me. I was expecting her to be a lot more stoic for some reason, but she seemed a bit more passionate than I thought.

Maybe it's because I'm used to emotionless girls in anime?
I dunno. She still seemed to fit perfectly into the Rei/Nagato/etc style moe class.
Quote:
But really, why does Aichi worship his rival, when his rival doesn't respect him?
Don't know if you can say he actually doesn't respect him and was just making up things. It's kinda like Kaiba and Yugi. And because that's the cliche? The weak main character looks up to the strong looking character who has some hidden character flaws.

Wow, this really does sound like it wants to be the plot for some yaoi. No girls in sight. Guys adoring other guys...

Tags
card game, cardfight vanguard