AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 40 40.40%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 32.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 21.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.05%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.01%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-10, 01:52   Link #41
Ashlotte
Clockwork

I never was any good at making sound worthwhile comments on this show during season 1 that didn't smack of fanboying...And here we are second season and all I can think is thank the gods Horo is back in all her glory yes?

Old habits don't so easily change I suppose...Well the new character looks to be easily as amusing as Nora was and I always get a kick out of seeing Horo put on her sweet side especially with that first shot when the two met face to face...ah stuff like thats bad for my heart...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-07-10, 02:27   Link #42
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

Finally, it's here. I'm glad a series like this that actually deserves a second season finally got it, and its first episode delivers just fine. Or rather, better than fine, since I love the "husband and wife"-esque banter they throw at each other and this ep was full of it.

2009 is a good year for anime as far as I'm concerned, what with this, a decent Hayate no Gotoku anime adapation, and an upcoming second season for Darker than Black.

All is good.
Old 2009-07-10, 09:00   Link #43
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Lol, I tried to keep up with the first season in just two days just to watch the second season. It was worth it !
This anime is really cute, isn't it ~? :x

Old 2009-07-10, 10:40   Link #44
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Watching this episode brings with it the nostalgia of meeting two old friends along the road. What I really like about this is that rather than feeling like the first episode of a new season, it feels like the next episode after the previous arc. Heck while I haven't rewatched season 1 recently it all felt so familiar and fresh in my mind again. Despite the noticable downgrade in animation and Horo's slight lolification, the initial banter between them with the subsequent putting of Horo's tail on Lawrence's lap reminded me why I need to rebuild my Horo shrine when I move back home.

Horo's tail is still arguably one of the most well animated and emotive appendages ever animated.

Watching these two innocently flirt around puts warmth in this man's ice cold emotionless heart.

Drunk/Hungover Horo = Awesome Horo. Problem is, Fermi = 3rd wheel.

It's nice that the episode drops scenes from the previous season here and there to refresh our minds. I'm pretty sure Horo referenced Soren Kierkergaard somewhere in there.

Their conversation regarding loneliness and life is actually rather sad, when we are again reminded that Horo is still a god and Lawrence is just a human, two entities of with very differing lifespans. Horo said it best, the life of humans are similar to the time it takes Gods to blink. This adds a rather heavy sense of tragedy to their blossoming relationship. Listening to their conversations it's almost as if Horo and Lawrence are putting less and less importance on reaching their destination but rather on the journey itself, no matter how long it takes.

Still, Lawrence's face at the end highlights his anxieties. It's clear as day now that he doesn't really want to leave Horo's side, and Horo probably feels the saem way. But still, when you hear Horo's little story about a god's life, you can;t help but feel sorry for them.

But I'll say it once and I'll say it again: I can listen to these two talk about the silliest things all day long and never get bored.

Welcome back Horo.
Old 2009-07-10, 11:09   Link #45
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

OP: lovely visuals (e.g. Horo walking as the village/town/city evolves), more plaintive music...
Animation: terrible as always .... very jerky, quite a shame.
Art/stills/design: absolutely stunning and gorgeous at times. The land, forests, attention to clothing detail, facial expressions .... its just sad they couldn't budget the frame rate.

Vocals.... it *seems* like Horo has lost a deep note in her voice but I need to go back and listen to season one. Lawrence's voice also seems a bit squeezed. It has me wondering if the recording equipment is different or if the fansub encoding has squeezed the audio a bit.

Content: the dialog pacing between Horo and Lawrence is great as is the visual timing.

Yes... this is probably going to be my mainstay for the summer. Gave this ep a "9" (smoother animation needed).
Old 2009-07-10, 11:21   Link #46
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
A very enjoyable episode as it starts off with Horo and Lawrence's antics right away its almost like we didnt even have a break in the series everything just seemed to flow naturally. However one of the biggest changes iv noticed (Horo also touched on it) is how intimate the two seem at times with Lawrence often touching Horo and Horo being herself is always teasing him but i feel more behind as opposed to the 1st season. Horo herself later commented on how comfortable she felt with Lawrence and how she just naturally depended on him. This is not a normal trait of Horo so obviously their bond has deepened. Would i call it love probably not but from the looks of things it still headed that way.

Horo has the same dream she had back in season where it looks like she forced to make a choice between her fellow eternal wolves or Lawrence. In the dream she chooses Lawrence only to discover he has turn to bones which is just reminder of how short a humans life span compared to hers. Which also seems to be on Lawrences mind as well. It ends with kind of awkward moment but i felt that last scene was very emotionally driven on both ends and even though they have been together for a long time now they still misunderstand each other every now and then.

I couldnt stop laughing when Lawrence declared that Horo was not his type and she totally called his bluff and made him eat his words. But not before she showed her sad ear dropping your hurt my feelings look which was one of the cutest things i have been scene.

excellent no choice but to give it a 10

I also still am in love with the OP i thought the first season OP was great this might be even better I just get so drawn in when i hear it.
Old 2009-07-10, 11:27   Link #47
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm just saddened that the ED won't let me catch a thousand sugar stars that I can put in a jar while enjoying sunshine pie I can carry with me as I whistle round the world.
Old 2009-07-10, 11:39   Link #48
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

ugh...the new OP was kinda fail if you compared it to the great OP of season 1.
Old 2009-07-10, 12:20   Link #49
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

^
Well, the one who hooked me up with the 1st season OP is the translation lyrics. Perhaps if we understand the lyrics, we would like it better ^^; (assuming that you still don't know what the lyrics mean though. At least the sub that I got doesn't have the translation)

Old 2009-07-10, 12:27   Link #50
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Art/stills/design: absolutely stunning and gorgeous at times. The land, forests, attention to clothing detail, facial expressions .... its just sad they couldn't budget the frame rate.
True. I noticed that the background art has a bit more detail to it then the first season, which is quite the good thing. Means i can rewatch episodes quite a bit, just for the backgrounds. Especially during the highway scene at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'm just saddened that the ED won't let me catch a thousand sugar stars that I can put in a jar while enjoying sunshine pie I can carry with me as I whistle round the world.
Yeah, i miss The Wolf Whistling Song quite a bit, especially the visuals. Saying that i'm glad this new ED is using similar shots.
Old 2009-07-10, 12:31   Link #51
Westlo
Lets be reality

Personally I'm rather happy that ROCKY CHACK gave us a song closer to their fantastic ZEGAPAIN ED "Little Goodbye" than the ED in Spice and Wolf 1. I like Akino Arai's OP for S2 as well but I've been very partial to her since Macross Plus...
Old 2009-07-10, 13:04   Link #52
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

I liked it, good to see some more economics lessons! More of a refresher on what has already happened but I look forward to seeing what the plot for the first arc is going to be.
Old 2009-07-10, 14:04   Link #53
Riful
Of The West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I like Akino Arai's OP for S2 as well but I've been very partial to her since Macross Plus...
Akino Arai ist always good, but this one isn't her best imho. I didn't quite wow me as some of her other songs. But still nice and fits the mood of the series. The animation is very beautiful as well.
Old 2009-07-10, 14:19   Link #54
Lostdreams

this ep was cute as always, but did Horo's village get destroyed? Lawrence's mom was talking to him about it.
Old 2009-07-10, 14:24   Link #55
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
this ep was cute as always, but did Horo's village get destroyed? Lawrence's mom was talking to him about it.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-10, 15:44   Link #56
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The OP and ED will take some getting used to, but oh, well.

It was great seeing Lawrence played with again. He's such a nice toy.

Amati's cuter than I imagined.
Spoiler for sorta spoiler:
Old 2009-07-10, 17:19   Link #57
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Oh how I love the series for nailing those touchy moments perfectly on the head. While I am not so hot on the points when they get into the business side of the series, I do really love the interactions between Horo and Lawrence. Their slow but steady growth masking away the tragedy that will come, slowly but surely come, when the time comes that they have to leave each other, it just pains me to think ahead of would happen when it comes. Naturally I believe that Horo will never leave Lawrence's side but before they get to that point there will always be moments in their conversations where they touch the sensitive subject, just like at the end of this episode.

On a more brighter note though it was so nostalgic to watch Horo tease Lawrence just like old times. But he isn't sitting back and take it all in either. I completely loved the part where Horo was suffering from her hangover. It was genius and very very moe.
Horo once again reminds me why so many of us loves her character and rightfully so, she deserves the love we give.

Oh and a certain someone will be heartbroken...poor lad

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-07-10, 17:32   Link #58
Windows X

Watched the episode. Maybe they added little more loli-factor which is a bit too much for me. Well, not to the extent of K-on which I dropped watching though. Horo's still charming but not as much as the first episode. It's just little different from what I read in novel. The OP and ED is interesting but first season is more touchy for me still.

However, they did better adaption from novel and they convey story to animation is more interesting unlike monotone plot hint in first season. Guess it's worth my wait
Old 2009-07-10, 17:41   Link #59
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for ya:

As for increased loli-moa factor - it is mostly about her eyes. They are rounder and much moe looking, while in first season they were the eyes of mature woman.
Old 2009-07-10, 18:18   Link #60
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Perhaps I am forgetting something, but what ever happened to the Shepherdess? I watched episode 0 and she was still around, but she is suddenly gone in episode 1 of season 2 with no explanation?