Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-06-21, 21:02   Link #81
danielevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Do we REALLY need a 3rd swordsman?
whats the problem with three swordmans ??
You have seen Roger pirate crew member ? they are mostly using a sword, so i think the problem is not in the how many swordman in the crew
Old 2013-06-22, 01:59   Link #82
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielevo View Post
whats the problem with three swordmans ??
You have seen Roger pirate crew member ? they are mostly using a sword, so i think the problem is not in the how many swordman in the crew
Not the same thing... most of the crew members we saw with roger and a lot of other pirates are nameless grunts. Swords and pistols are the default weapons of choice for the grunts. The ones that are important are the NAMED characters, the one's Oda put some clear thought and effort into. Not to mention that it seems like "sword" is just one of the defaults Oda falls to when he doesn't want to come up with something more unique. In a way, you could say that there are many pirates that use swords, but very few that actually practice swordsmanship; one is a guy who uses a sword, the other is a true swordsman... There's a difference between a pirate who just picks up a sword and starts swinging it around and a pirate who knows how to use a sword to cut through a steel beam

But really, one way to help keep things interesting in a series with a heavy focus on fighting is keeping a variety of weapons and abilities. Kinda want to avoid giving to many fighters the same weapon and style. More variety and the more fun you can have with fights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
I should've been more specific: flashback arcs that take more than one episode to cover, and are very tragic. I think Shirahoshi is one of the few who met those criteria and didn't join the crew (for obvious reasons)
Actually in a way Shirahoshi didn't fill the requirements. Ya she has a tragic backstory and that flashback took a long time to tell but the fact of the matter is that the flashback wasn't ABOUT her. The flashback was about Otihime, Fisher Tiger and how fishman island got to be what it is; Shirahoshi was really only a minor character in that backstory.
Old 2013-06-22, 12:37   Link #83
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
True on that one... and so in that case, the reason why no one joined the crew after that flashback is because the main characters of said flashback are all dead.

On the topic of Shank's crew and the weapons used... well, first and foremost, there appears to be just under 10 pirates as part of shank's crew (it's been a while since I last saw all the members of his crew, so I can't remember all of them), and excluding shanks, we've gotten three named ones, two of whom are skilled with a pistol, and the third a master sniper (I do make a bit of distinction between being a gunman and a sniper). Beyond that, we know nothing about Shank's crew

In luffy's crew... well, each member has a very specific role. And my best guess as to why we have two swordsman is because they use two very different styles of swordsmanship, (Zoro is Eastern, more specifically Japanese, whereas Brooks in Western, and more specifically fencing). Not to mention, that Zoro is the main swordsman whereas Brooks is technically the ship's musician. So while it's possible there can be a third user of a sword... well, they'd also have to have a different role in order to be part of the Straw Hats

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2013-06-22, 18:04   Link #84
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Actually in a way Shirahoshi didn't fill the requirements. Ya she has a tragic backstory and that flashback took a long time to tell but the fact of the matter is that the flashback wasn't ABOUT her. The flashback was about Otihime, Fisher Tiger and how fishman island got to be what it is; Shirahoshi was really only a minor character in that backstory.
We actually had that once before the Fishman Island arc already. It was the Norland Flashback.
Old 2013-06-23, 00:47   Link #85
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
On the topic of Shank's crew and the weapons used... well, first and foremost, there appears to be just under 10 pirates as part of shank's crew (it's been a while since I last saw all the members of his crew, so I can't remember all of them), and excluding shanks, we've gotten three named ones, two of whom are skilled with a pistol, and the third a master sniper (I do make a bit of distinction between being a gunman and a sniper). Beyond that, we know nothing about Shank's crew
No, Shanks has 10 "PROMINENT" members in his crew. Previous times when we saw shanks crew we could see that they were a fairly large group made up of what looks like several dozen poeple. Shanks has a traditional pirate crew as we've seen with most other crews in the series... the majority are just grunts(granted high level grunts) that will probably never be named, but then he has a group of prominent members who will probably not only have names but will get to a chance to eventually show case their strength in order to show how powerful the redhair crew is.

Also we don't know much about Lucky Roo and Beckmen and how they fight... Beckmen for his part seems to prefer to use his rifle as a club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
We actually had that once before the Fishman Island arc already. It was the Norland Flashback.
I don't really recall the flashback... but another requirement for a strawhat is to have a dream that's worth going out to sea for. Norland's only dream was to prove to himself that his ancestor was not a liar and he got it when he heard the bell
Old 2013-06-23, 08:12   Link #86
shalala

I wonder if there will be Tenryūbito in Luffy crew that is nice and not a total idiot who hates his people given how they are. Like how Sabo was and how he disliked his status.
Old 2013-06-25, 02:31   Link #87
marvelB

Spoiler goodness is here!
Closed Thread