AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-11-17, 06:40   Link #1261
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
That rather looks like a staged photo. Or one taken by some stalker wannabe.

Tokyo does not get that cold, though, so skirts aren't as bad here as, say, somewhere in Niigata, Nagano or Hokkaido. The amount of snowfall per year is usually not too bad as well; last year, it took darn near forever for the first hint (and I meant "hint" ) to actually fall. It's the cold + the wind = a bad combination.

Would girls wear pants if their schools allow them to be worn in girls' uniforms, though? I heard - but can't find the source ATM - that the uniform for, say, flight attendants was a big draw for prospective female employees.

You sure about that, in the last two days? I'm currently huddling under a heater atm xD
All I hear in the schools is:
samui, samui, samui, samui, samui...

Even though the temps are in mid teens, the wind and rain lately is freezing my ass off, it's cold and it does snow over here (we got a tinybit on Valentine's day no less this year).
But if it's a sunny day, then it's pleasant.

A lot of the high schools students wear their skirts above their knees, middle school lot tend not to, (hence we can tell the diff between the ages).
Lack of modesty is somewhat of an issue in Japan atm.
No, no one deserves to be groped, molested or raped, but when girls (willingly and knowingly) wear skirts that barely cover their butts as one girl did today on the train, it's a 24/7 cocktease for salarymen, no wonder there's the chikan issue, lol.
"fashion" over "sense", methinks...

@ bhl88 - That's kinda interesting, cause for it to be a 'boom' means that at some point they were rapidly getting rid of uniforms and going for plain clothes in schools instead (wonder what the influence for that was)
It's as it says, uniforms are convinent and in addition, they lessen predujice that can derive from the kind of clothes a person would wear individually. It became a pain for me form 16 onwards to figure out what I had to wear everyday, when 12 years of your life is just sticking with the same set of clothes 5 times a week.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 10:36   Link #1262
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedor mma View Post
Cough COugh Pedo cough.hehe
Correction, school uniform connoisseur.

Quote:
18 is the legal age in Japan right?
National age of consent is 13, but prefectures have laws that increase it up to age 18. So, it depends where you are in the country.

Quote:
Would girls wear pants if their schools allow them to be worn in girls' uniforms, though?
According to that "hemline research" article I posted... "We also hear that none of those questioned (some 20 girls) wore mini-skirts when given free choice out of school, instead opting for shorts and trousers."

So, it appears to be a school uniform fashion thing.

Quote:
A lot of the high schools students wear their skirts above their knees, middle school lot tend not to, (hence we can tell the diff between the ages).
Lack of modesty is somewhat of an issue in Japan atm.
No, no one deserves to be groped, molested or raped, but when girls (willingly and knowingly) wear skirts that barely cover their butts as one girl did today on the train, it's a 24/7 cocktease for salarymen, no wonder there's the chikan issue, lol.
"fashion" over "sense", methinks...
It makes you wonder. Kinda' sad, really. Girls give in to peer pressure to look attractive and "sexy" only to find themselves the targets of "unwanted attention." Those salarymen need to understand the concept of "It's ok to look, but don't touch."

I saw a report of a man who raped a girl in a train station restroom. It started out with groping, then he followed her off the train and forced her to follow him. His excuse? “I just couldn’t stand it any more, I had to do her.”

Seriously, impulse control is what makes a civilized society... you know... civilized?

Quote:
That's kinda interesting, cause for it to be a 'boom' means that at some point they were rapidly getting rid of uniforms and going for plain clothes in schools instead (wonder what the influence for that was)
With the "group mentality" being so dominant, it's possible that young people felt some need for a little individuality. But as the article says, seifuku have been a long standing tradition for decades. The "boom" is just a group desire to return to tradition, perhaps. Just speculating.

Tradition is important, it keeps a people connected to their past and that gives them an anchor for holding on to a sense of personal identity. It's something that I think we in the west have a lack of regard for.
Old 2009-11-17, 12:22   Link #1263
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedor mma View Post
18 is the legal age in Japan right?then I guess not pedo although she doesnt look 18 to me. Anyway I was just kidding. She does look very cute.
Please use words correctly. "pedo" is reserved for "pre-puberty"... "under-age" does not equal pedo ....but age of consent varies a lot (usually 16, sometimes can be as low as 13) depending on the jurisdiction.

And yes,... saying someone is cute or adorable does not equal "pedo" (I've gotten too damned tired of that nonsense to have a sense of humor about it)

And it does snow in Japan -- "staged" simply means the subject knows they're being photographed and behaves specifically for that purpose. "Candid" shots are not "stalking" (another word that gets misused on forums), they are simply records of the things one sees in real life. I don't see any indication the photo was taken in Tokyo... with the snow I assumed it was Hokkaido but it could have been further south.
Old 2009-11-17, 12:36   Link #1264
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Here's a question (I search and didn't find anything, so I apologize if its been asked):

In countless anime and manga you see when a character is sick they are in bed with a compress on. Is that a standard thing to do in Japan when you're sick? Or is my impression skewed by anime and manga? I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
Old 2009-11-17, 16:04   Link #1265
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
It makes you wonder. Kinda' sad, really. Girls give in to peer pressure to look attractive and "sexy" only to find themselves the targets of "unwanted attention." Those salarymen need to understand the concept of "It's ok to look, but don't touch."
Woah, woah, woah, waaay too fast too judge, dude.
They understand, everyone understands when thinking with the head with the brain inside.
But if all blood rushes down south and you have a stressed salaryman who just happened to have a bad day at work, ignores his wife cept for 'dinner, bath and bed' and is cockteased every damn day to and from work, someone's gonna snap someday or jump onto the tracks.
Quote:
I saw a report of a man who raped a girl in a train station restroom. It started out with groping, then he followed her off the train and forced her to follow him. His excuse? “I just couldn’t stand it any more, I had to do her.”

Seriously, impulse control is what makes a civilized society... you know... civilized?
Heh, you say civilised, but uh logic isn't present when people are horny.
In the great ol 'civilised' country of the UK, it didn't stop men leeting at me during my early teens while at high school, even the 'looking' can impact a girls confidence for the worse eitherway (she'll be an attention whore or withdraw into herself)
But it damn well taught me that men will look openly and to 'attract' them even further is to risk being called (not like they don't already in London) -.- or harrassed.

Because Japanese usually do the 'keep quiet thing', is prob why girls parade around without realising the possible consequence of their actions?
It's prob also the reason why peeps in Japan 'snap', they don't release their frustrations anywhere, sexual or not and bottling's never the best thing...

Modesty not only can be sexy (leave things to the imagination), but it also protects a girl in some aspects, than openly parading and flashing flesh around everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Here's a question (I search and didn't find anything, so I apologize if its been asked):

In countless anime and manga you see when a character is sick they are in bed with a compress on. Is that a standard thing to do in Japan when you're sick? Or is my impression skewed by anime and manga? I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
Countless? I wonder what you read and watch?

I dunno about the sick/compass thing, never seen it personally nor was given one :\
All I know with the beds is when buying a new one, the positioning within is important. It's not allowed to face a certain direction (I'll find out later unless anyone adds to this before i re edit...) one of the compass points is reserved for death or something...

More superstition than custom methinks, maybe that's related to the compass/being sick thing...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2009-11-17, 16:35   Link #1266
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Woah, woah, woah, waaay too fast too judge, dude.
Sorry, wasn't trying to be judgmental, just tossing out a random opinion.

Quote:
Modesty not only can be sexy (leave things to the imagination), but it also protects a girl in some aspects, than openly parading and flashing flesh around everywhere.
I couldn't agree more. I happen to be one who greatly values modesty. And attractive girls don't necessarily have to bare any skin to draw attention. But, when they do they're basically asking to be looked at... or more. It's just human nature and no amount of anti-harassment training is going to take away that part of human nature.

I still think there's a certain amount of responsibility on the part of individuals to restrain themselves from behavior that is degrading or hurtful.

Quote:
I dunno about the sick/compass thing, never seen it personally nor was given one :\
It's not compass, it's compress - a cloth wrung from hot or cold water which may be applied to any part of the body surface. A cold compress can be used to relieve head congestion, fever, swollen muscles, etc.

I think in the case of the question asked, it's probably just a convention used to show that someone is receiving some kind of attention for being sick or hurt.
Old 2009-11-17, 18:27   Link #1267
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Compresses are used for fever (cool wet cloth) ... in the US as well as Japan (though the younger ones may have forgotten their home remedies...).

Looking is, by definition, permissible. Those photons have bounced off of you for the rest of the universe to pick up. Out of courtesy, one should try not to make the lookee uncomfortable - but simply acknowledging that someone is beautiful to behold or that they made your day simply by existing shouldn't be discouraged. That *should* be a compliment (and we'll all take up sticks to beat the crap out of the cretins that don't understand those lines like that idiot salaryman rapist). One has to understand they are looking at another human being - not a "thing" (which seems to be the crux of a lot of misogyny).
Old 2009-11-17, 18:54   Link #1268
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Heh, you say civilised, but uh logic isn't present when people are horny.
That perspective treats rape as the result of sexual drives; most studies suggest it has much more to do with power and violence than sex.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 20:44   Link #1269
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
That perspective treats rape as the result of sexual drives; most studies suggest it has much more to do with power and violence than sex.
A particularly virulent form of selfishness... "I want it and will take it, if it isn't *me* getting hurt I don't care".
Old 2009-11-17, 23:53   Link #1270
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

Quote:
though rape seems to happen more to women but somehow i heard a new where a man was raped

soo it mean that that woman is more powerfull than that man??
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 05:17   Link #1271
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Sorry, wasn't trying to be judgmental, just tossing out a random opinion.

I couldn't agree more. I happen to be one who greatly values modesty. And attractive girls don't necessarily have to bare any skin to draw attention. But, when they do they're basically asking to be looked at... or more. It's just human nature and no amount of anti-harassment training is going to take away that part of human nature.

I still think there's a certain amount of responsibility on the part of individuals to restrain themselves from behavior that is degrading or hurtful.
I was playing devils advocate earlier, since it seemed that you were kinda reeeeally against the male side in this, and while you're correct in saying that everyone has to take a degree of responsibility, the girls half the time aren't so innocent in matters of sexual assault in Japan, rather, there are stories here and there of salarymen having their reputations and lives ruined cause some bitter teen called 'chikan' on them and blackmail them for brand goods and so on otherwise they'll 'tell'.
Sad state of affairs tbh, esp since Japan does the whole 'better to die than to live with shame' and so on...
Quote:
It's not compass, it's compress - a cloth wrung from hot or cold water which may be applied to any part of the body surface. A cold compress can be used to relieve head congestion, fever, swollen muscles, etc.

I think in the case of the question asked, it's probably just a convention used to show that someone is receiving some kind of attention for being sick or hurt.
My bad, I shouldn't be replying at 5 something in the morning when I obviously can't read the english language
Compress... don't we do that anywhere?
Esp if a person has a fever, it'd be to try to cool them down some.
But now I know what you really meant, nothing comes to mind about people doing that over here... but they probably do so for kids more than adults.
Remind me, if anyone knows the Japanese name for this item?

Quote:
Remind me of my self defence teacher
Most studies do indeed to claim that, although they speak from a Western sense and mentality, I dunno if men in Japan are consider 'powerful' over women outside of the workplace or politics, to be honest or if they really do see themselves as 'victims' to go.
"I really couldn't take it anymore... Her knickers flashed every time, she paraded around knowing that her skirt was too short."

But I can't speak for the mind of a rapist or a potential one, all I know is as a female, I've had to watch my back ever since adolescence kicked in and it's helps to give potential peeps less of an "excuse" by not tempting/cock teasing anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
though rape seems to happen more to women but somehow i heard a new where a man was raped

soo it mean that that woman is more powerfull than that man??
Good question, I dunno what it’d ‘mean’ from a woman doing so to a guy to be honest... The only situation I can think of where it may include that is with domestic violence, if the woman is physically abusing the guy and then turns on him sexually and grabs a…uhh PG-13, huh
The man would generally have to be anally abused, but it begins if he he says 'no' and she goes ahead anyways.
However there was a story about a Russian woman (I think), who tied up a dude that tried to rob her store and she locked him up and had sex with him.
She then charged her with rape and she was sentenced.

Ah here you go
http://www.hubdub.com/m38755/Will_Ha...victed_of_rape

Slightly going off topic now with the ‘Japanese Culture’ thread, gomen.
In her case, they'd say cause she was simply horny? *shrugs*

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-11-18 at 05:57.
Old 2009-11-22, 23:09   Link #1272
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Back to Japanese Culture... here's a Shinto Temple that has decided to incorporate manga themes to attract visitors:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...JuVIVcqqY23IiQ

A local singer popular around Akihabara named Toromi dressed as a manga version of one of the kami (goddess) worshiped there as part of the festivities.

In case the link dissipates (first time trying to link to Google News):
Spoiler for text of article:

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-11-22 at 23:31.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 23:26   Link #1273
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
The Ryohoji temple, built in the late 16th century in a Tokyo suburb, erected a colourful manga-inspired sign at its entrance in June and has since seen visitor numbers perk up -- especially young men.

Target audience?

Meganekko Meido with cat ears FTW.
Old 2009-11-23, 08:58   Link #1274
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

This makes me wonder. What does an unaltered uniform look like(so no sock glue or miniskirts), I'm looking for an actual pic here? And what's percentage of girls that don't alter their uniforms. Since over here even though there are fashion trends I'd say the majority still dress pretty average.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 10:30   Link #1275
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
I'm looking for an actual pic here?
How about spending 10 minutes in a Japanese high school classroom?

Old 2009-11-23, 11:44   Link #1276
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:

Target audience?

Meganekko Meido with cat ears FTW.
First time I heard this....

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 12:29   Link #1277
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Ok, that was almost like one of my usual classes back at school... only with Japanese people and uniforms instead... Didn't think classes in Japan were as relaxed as the ones I always knew. O_O
Old 2009-11-23, 12:35   Link #1278
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

Interesting... yeah that seemed remarkably relaxed and the teacher seemed quite comfortable. And yeah, that was some amazing hair that went and sat up front.
Old 2009-11-23, 13:45   Link #1279
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
This makes me wonder. What does an unaltered uniform look like(so no sock glue or miniskirts), I'm looking for an actual pic here? And what's percentage of girls that don't alter their uniforms. Since over here even though there are fashion trends I'd say the majority still dress pretty average.
I visited Japan for a short time in 1995-ish? (I forget exactly) In terms of skirt length I noticed a few short skirts, but not many. Apparently it's more common now. According to Danny from that previous winter girl pic: "I've never seen longer than that so I presume that its the standard."
But I still get the impression that it depends on area and school from other people's blogs I've read.
My assumption is that outside of Tokyo you're more likely to see knee length skirts than this:

.. and umm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJ0_RKxSYI
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 18:19   Link #1280
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
I visited Japan for a short time in 1995-ish? (I forget exactly) In terms of skirt length I noticed a few short skirts, but not many. Apparently it's more common now. According to Danny from that previous winter girl pic: "I've never seen longer than that so I presume that its the standard."
But I still get the impression that it depends on area and school from other people's blogs I've read.
My assumption is that outside of Tokyo you're more likely to see knee length skirts than this:
From what I gather then the unaltered skirt is just above the knees and am guessing the majority in whole japan don't alter it, but in the big cities, pretty much everyone shortens their skirts(I say this, because I refuse to believe the standard skirt is that short).

Hmm people in Amsterdam are pretty conservative I guess.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture