AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-03-15, 06:22   Link #2521
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Reminded me

Japan Direct - a look at the country beyond the headlines

Since it is frustrating to be trapped by the West's habits of sensationalism and not reporting more on the human stories in regards to the entire disaster, so the BBC it seems have been trying and updating with articles, videos and stuff related more to the people trying to get one 1 year later.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 10:44   Link #2522
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I just heard on the news that there was a 6.8 causing a small tsunami in the north part of Japan.
Heard a few people saying, that it only caused some blackouts, stopped trains for around 5 minutes. Thats it.
Old 2012-03-17, 00:36   Link #2523
Shinji01

The earthquake the oth day was nothing big.
The train stopped for safety purposes, and some areas liquified again, but that's it.

I think anything less than a magnitude 7 gets shrugged off these days.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 01:53   Link #2524
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Japan's Fukushima to host geothermal plant: report

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- Japan's Fukushima prefecture, the site of the nation's worst-ever nuclear-power disaster, is slated to host the country's largest-ever geothermal power plant, the Nikkei business daily reported Friday. The plant -- the first such Japanese facility since 1999 -- is to be sited at the Bandai-Asahi National Park and will be possible due to an easing of environmental rules allowing some drilling in national parks, the report said. It will generate about a quarter of the power produced by a nuclear reactor. According to the Nikkei, Idemitsu Kosan, Inpex Corp, Mitsubishi Materials Corp. are among the firms teaming to build the plant.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 05:24   Link #2525
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Consider the fact that importing fossil fuel is just going to get more expensive, Japan will definitely need more of these. I guess they might as well take advantage of the geological instability. You can't stop Earthquakes, so you might as well get as much benefits as you can.

It's a stop-gap technology, and there are limited places where you can build it, but we now know there is no perfect solution. Best to branch out and spread your bets on multiple options. They can't all fail at the same time.
Old 2012-03-25, 08:27   Link #2526
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Tsunami ghost ship drifts near Canada coast
Quote:
Vancouver (March 24, Sat): After being flushed out to sea by last year's massive tsunami and earthquake, a Japanese squid-fishing boat has drifted across the Pacific Ocean and is now moving towards British Columbia's north coast.

The 45m (150 ft) ship is drifting right-side-up about 140 nautical miles (260km / 160 miles) from Cape Saint James on the southern tip of Haida Gwaii, formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands.

"It's been drifting across the Pacific for a year, so it's pretty beat up," said marine-search coordinator Jeff Olsson of the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre.

A plane on a routine surveillance patrol for the Fisheries and Defence departments found the ship last Tuesday afternoon. The Canadian Coast Guard has issued a notice to all vessels that the ship is an obstruction to navigation.

The ship — the first, and largest, item confirmed to have crossed the Pacific Ocean to North America from Japan's devastating earthquake and tsunami on March 11 last year — was confirmed lost by Japanese officials. Attempts to hail the ship brought no response and Mr Olsson told the Vancouver Sun: "We know nobody's in danger."*

Earlier this month, British Columbia and the American states of Washington, Oregon and California signed an agreement to coordinate management of tsunami debris when it reaches shore, and to return items of sentimental value to Japan.

The Japanese fishing boat is not expected to reach landfall for another 50 days, said a media statement by Washington Senator Maria Cantwell, who has a special interest in marine issues.

NATIONAL POST
* I think I've watched this story before.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 15:07   Link #2527
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
* I think I've watched this story before.
Well then, there could only be one 4-letter-word to describe it.

Doom.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-26, 01:17   Link #2528
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Japan left with one nuclear reactor after shutdown

Well, well, well...
According to the link, Japan has only one functional nuclear plant remaining after protests prevented the restarting of the Niiagata plant.

If the Hokkaido Plant gets shut down by protest in May, Japan might become nuclear free through brute public pressure.

Who knows if this sticks, but I certainly wasn't expecting this. I guess in the end no plant can operate without local citizen approval, I just don't expect this to happen to ALL of them.

Best of luck to them. I personally think this is going hysterical, but I understand that everyone has the right to defend themselves from what they view as threats. The transition to renewables might happen in Japan first ahead of everyone else. And all because they are now running out of options.
Old 2012-03-26, 01:21   Link #2529
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So that will basically cut their avalible power by 25% or so?
Old 2012-03-26, 01:27   Link #2530
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I was thinking more this, but that movie works too. So underrated that movie is.
Old 2012-03-26, 01:30   Link #2531
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
So that will basically cut their avalible power by 25% or so?
Japan's been restarting old gas power stations and burning imported gas. They are basically burning money. There is also country wide power saving efforts and government regulation on industry power restrictions.

It is hard to imagine. Japan used to depend on nuclear energy so much. How they handle the transition would be a test case recorded for posterity.

The question is which would happen first? The money runs out and Japan has permanent rolling black outs, fear of nuclear plants subsiding and the plants come back online, or some miraculous advancement made renewables viable as replacements.
Old 2012-03-26, 08:13   Link #2532
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

I went on a guided tour of New Zealand last year. Driving near one of the country's many coal mines, our guide said the Japanese are one of their biggest customers--but what they mainly do is dump the coal in the ocean as a sort of energy reserve in case of emergency, and also so they don't have the problem of windblown coal dust.

Have they been raiding this reserve lately?
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 08:52   Link #2533
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
I went on a guided tour of New Zealand last year. Driving near one of the country's many coal mines, our guide said the Japanese are one of their biggest customers--but what they mainly do is dump the coal in the ocean as a sort of energy reserve in case of emergency, and also so they don't have the problem of windblown coal dust.

Have they been raiding this reserve lately?
Wait. That sounds so strange. If that's the case, why dug the coal out of the mines in the first place? Why not just let the coal mine be the reserve itself?
Old 2012-03-26, 09:21   Link #2534
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Someone else might take it?

Wouldn't the coal be dissolved by the sea water?
Old 2012-03-26, 20:04   Link #2535
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Wait. That sounds so strange. If that's the case, why dug the coal out of the mines in the first place? Why not just let the coal mine be the reserve itself?
Labor cost

Opportunity Time

Supply and demand.

You don't want to pay to dig it out at a time when you need it most and at a time when the labor costs and other factors will make it expensive.

So your taking advantage of a window of opportunity costs.. if the phrase makes sense.

so just: get it out now as cheap as possible and store it for later.

The USA has huge oil reserves for this reason.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 09:05   Link #2536
Solafighter
Hige

Cant remember, if this was posted in here, but just for the record.

Once in a while, i check on the livestream and on youtube about the current status and events, that are happening on the Fukushima Power Plant.

Here are three of many, very... unique videos of the Fukushima livestream.

Check this video from 2:07 . It speaks for itself.

"Say cheeeeese".

Check from 0:24, a man pointing his finger right towards the camera. Its still not known, who this was, but the best speculations so far are, that he is a reporter, who snug in or that this is a TEPCO worker, who knows the truth and tells us "you are next".

Watch the 1x speed video, here and here.
Old 2012-05-01, 14:02   Link #2537
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Someone's Harley washed up in British Columbia.

Hopefully the owner survived, and will get his/her bike back. (The finder brought it to the Japanese consulate in Vancouver, just as the Japanese government has been asking people to do up and down the NW North American coast.) If not, would some "lucky" Canadian be able to keep it? (I say "lucky" because the bike will probably be cursed. )

Last edited by andyjay729; 2012-05-01 at 14:24.
Old 2012-05-01, 14:25   Link #2538
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Someone's Harley washed up in British Columbia.

Hopefully the owner survived, and will get his/her bike back. (He brought it to the Japanese consulate in Vancouver, just as the Japanese government has been asking people to do up and down the NW North American coast.) If not, would some "lucky" Canadian be able to keep it? (I say "lucky" because the bike will probably be cursed. )
Better give it back if the owner is dead! You DON'T want a ghost rider on your doorstep asking you for your soul if you don't return his property.

P.S I heard of this from a friend.....someone immediately crashed a BMW he bought because the original owner was murdered overseas and almost died. Never buy/take a dead man's belongings if you are not his/her kin...especially anything that is deeply loved or a can be used as a weapon.

Old 2012-05-02, 12:08   Link #2539
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

They found the owner, fortunately, so no need to worry about bosozoku ghosts demanding their wheels back.

There's a link here to another story about a signed soccer ball being returned to its owner a couple months ago. (Next time I'm keeping it! Now get off my lawn 'fore I have to take my belt off, ya good-fer-nothing little whippersnappers!)
Old 2012-05-02, 12:32   Link #2540
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo! News Article
The rusted bike was found in a large white container where its owner, Ikuo Yokoyama, had kept it.
Yet the picture clearly shows the motorbike half buried in the sand, not in a large white container.

Endless "Confused" Soul

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami