AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-05-14, 22:30   Link #1261
kimpleng
Lurker

KyoAni attention to detail is superb.
Spoiler for stamp:

Scan from this http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-8147...ure-circa.html
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 23:11   Link #1262
rulfo

Ichirou Miyoshi is Yoshiji Kigami btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
KyoAni attention to detail is superb.

Scan from this http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-8147...ure-circa.html
This makes it twice for KyoAni to reference Malaysia.

In Nichijou and here.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 04:38   Link #1263
tera_ha

After watching 4 episodes. I think that this show is a bit overrated and over-hyped but that's just my opinion about the show. May be it's not my cup of tea
Old 2012-05-15, 04:43   Link #1264
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
It begins?

Spoiler:
are those actually the genderbent girls?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 05:01   Link #1265
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
are those actually the genderbent girls?
the guys crossdressing.
Old 2012-05-15, 05:02   Link #1266
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
the guys crossdressing.
I want this ED to be official. Even if only as a DVD extra.

Cheers.
Old 2012-05-15, 05:18   Link #1267
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
the guys crossdressing.
you've got to be kidding me , well since this is Kyoani we're talking about, they're probably gonna make them lying on the bed while holding hands, wearing nothing but tight speedos, while their bodies got entangled in ribbons then decorated with roses.......
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 05:49   Link #1268
rulfo

Quote:
you've got to be kidding me , well since this is Kyoani we're talking about, they're probably gonna make them lying on the bed while holding hands, wearing nothing but tight speedos, while their bodies got entangled in ribbons then decorated with roses.......
OH GOD...... :barf:... :hurl:.. :regurgitate:...

There is no emoticon to express such disgust?

Quote:
the guys crossdressing.
TBH I really thought that was a gender bent Mayaka till I saw Oreki's eye color.... Oh hell no...

Last edited by rulfo; 2012-05-15 at 06:19.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 06:01   Link #1269
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
And to make it perfect, we need to have the ED song sung by both male leads as well.

In addition to what most people had been speculating about next episode, Question still remains about the title Hyouka: You Can't Escape. What is it that you are supposed to escape from?
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 06:10   Link #1270
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

The title isn't you can't escape anymore. It got changed with the current edition.

It's niece of time now.

The answer to cant escape is actually fairly obvious. It should show up next episode.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 08:08   Link #1271
tsunade666

nice episode with a hint of darkness in it. The mystery is solved but some parts are omitted maybe for Chi-chan's sake. But in the preview it looks like Oreki is telling the truth to Satoshi or maybe Satoshi notice that Oreki is hiding something.

This anime is really superb. And Chitanda making riceball makes it super SUPERB!
Old 2012-05-15, 08:57   Link #1272
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

I like the slow pace, I feel like they're really doing some world building in this series.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 10:06   Link #1273
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Everything about this show is perfect minus the unbearable apathy and sarcasm of the sociopathic and emotionless male lead, who frankly is as much fun to watch as listening to glass being ground to powder and having said powder shoved under your eyelids. Thankfully, the warmth, idealism and adorable cuteness of Chi-chan makes it completely bearable and makes this show worth coming back to week after week.
Old 2012-05-15, 11:16   Link #1274
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's funny, as I watched the Hyouka ED the first couple of times I thought, "someone is going to do a male version of this, like the legendary remake of the Needless ED".
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 12:28   Link #1275
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Everything about this show is perfect minus the unbearable apathy and sarcasm of the sociopathic and emotionless male lead, who frankly is as much fun to watch as listening to glass being ground to powder and having said powder shoved under your eyelids. Thankfully, the warmth, idealism and adorable cuteness of Chi-chan makes it completely bearable and makes this show worth coming back to week after week.
While I wouldn't be as blunt as you I'll have to agree: the male lead is seriously getting on my nerves with how much negativity comes out of his lines. It's putting me a bit off. Of course that the other 3 characters are more than enough to balance it out but it's really very close...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
This anime is really superb. And Chitanda making riceball makes it super SUPERB!
Strangely the moment that scene came up I started considering how Chitanda would probably make a very good wife.
Old 2012-05-15, 13:24   Link #1276
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
While I wouldn't be as blunt as you I'll have to agree: the male lead is seriously getting on my nerves with how much negativity comes out of his lines. It's putting me a bit off. Of course that the other 3 characters are more than enough to balance it out but it's really very close...
I'm actually starting to see it as the other way around: He's there to provide balance for them. It's kind of like Azusa's role in K-On, imo.

Really upbeat characters are often at their best when you have good foils for them to gradually win over, similar to what the K-On crew did with Azusa.

Also, if you have a cast of nothing but really upbeat characters you risk being diabetes-inducing. Oreki makes sure that this show never gets too sweet for its own good.

I largely liked Episode 4, though the speed with which this mystery was (seemingly?) solved is a bit disappointing to me. If this whole Uncle arc ends next episode, I hope they have a good arc-based mystery to follow it up with.
Old 2012-05-15, 13:30   Link #1277
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

For me, it's the girls who're the weakest link so far - apart from the obvious fact that they look fantastic (especially Chitanda) they're incredibly generic. "Anime Girl A, Anime Girl B". I don't mind Hotarou so much, even though he's also pretty much a trope, mostly because his odd couple relationship with Satsohi is the most interesting one in the series. Satoshi is certainly the most distinctive character so far, especially after his soliloquy in this episode.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 14:22   Link #1278
Qilin
Romanticist

I finally finished reading the currently translated novel, all I can say is that it conveys the mystery better. While it lacks the anime's frills and visuals, it better presents the clues that lets the reader/viewer come to his/her own conclusion. At least, it allows the reader to digest everything at his/her own pace. That is especially true in this case since the evidence in this case is a handful of historical texts that involve through reading and rereading.

Spoiler for thoughts on historical context:
Old 2012-05-15, 16:20   Link #1279
PiggyBank
sneaky & suspicious

Unlike many here, I like Hotarou as the main character. A lot of the charm of this show is about the contradiction between Chitanda and Hotarou, energy and enthusiasm vs apathy and cynicism.

Besides, it's somehow refreshing to see a main char who's not jumping all over the place shouting his head off or choking on his bottled up emotions.
Old 2012-05-15, 16:45   Link #1280
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I'll just offer that personally I'm finding the sarcastic main character with the rambling inner monologue a touch played out of late, though still not as undesirable as the weak-willed male lead that can never seem to find his bearings despite everybody trying to point him on the right path. These seem to be the popular things to do with male main characters nowadays though and Japan seems to love it so I sort of understand why it's a trend.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life