AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-25, 22:28   Link #561
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
If you're gonna go that far out to create those situations, then the only thing anyone should ever do in SAO is to sit in an inn in the town of beginning forever. SAO is an action/adventure story, not a spy novel.

I understand the point you're making, but to me it's akin to someone deciding they're not gonna drive a car anymore after they were involved in a car accident, or afraid to go outside because they might get struck by lightning :/
But being scared of that is the entire point of Kirito's character. He blames himself for what happened to Sachi and refuses to join a guild or even party with people out of fear of letting them die, until much much later when he gets some character development. It's not rational, but it's not supposed to be. He's traumatized. He can grow out of it, and he does, but having this happen immediately after RNR seems like a very strange choice, narratively.

Compare it to the PTSD he shows in GGO. If Sachi's death was supposed to mean anything to the story, and I certainly hope it was supposed to, then Kirito shouldn't be so calm about all this. This a personal problem, an emotional problem.

Last edited by Clarste; 2012-07-25 at 23:49.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 23:14   Link #562
kyp275
Meh

Hmm, IMO I think the end of RNR is actually a turn-around point for Kirito's character. Up until that point he has been suffering from his self-inflicted outcast status, and the whole incident with the black cats only made it worse, with it reaching the lowest point during the x'mas event where he's become as much of a fatalist as Asuna was at the beginning of Aria. Sachi's last message to Kirito though, was his salvation. Sachi not only forgave him, she gave him a reason to live on - to make sure that she and the others death were not in vain, that there were some meaning to their life in SAO.

While Kirito obviously could never really forgive himself for what happened, it allowed him to at least start moving on, instead of being stuck in the rut like he did in the half year between Sachi's death and the X'mas event. While he remained guild-less until much later, he didn't really exhibit any particular aversion to grouping with people from that point on, while showing particular care towards the safety of those he's with.

You can say that pre-Sachi Kirito has always been afraid, both of really taking responsibility for those under his care and of being rejected, but Sachi gave him the strength to open up and face reality, so to speak.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 23:48   Link #563
Clarste
Human

I suppose that's one way to look at it. In that case though I think episode 3 happened way too fast, instead of just mostly too fast. You don't give your character a flaw and resolve it in the same episode if you expect people to care.

And in the novels anyway it was clear that he didn't really open up about it until Asuna.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 23:59   Link #564
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I suppose that's one way to look at it. In that case though I think episode 3 happened way too fast, instead of just mostly too fast. You don't give your character a flaw and resolve it in the same episode if you expect people to care.
That's the problem with adapting SAO chronologically, since the main and side stories weren't designed to flow that way, and it really shows in the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
And in the novels anyway it was clear that he didn't really open up about it until Asuna.
Which is another symptom of the way the story was written, the side stories and all the plot points contained in them was not written 'til after the main SAO story has already concluded. In some cases they worked fine, others weren't quite consistent, while some other elements directly conflicts with earlier established premise.

The Progressive's giant retcon hammer couldn't come soon enough IMO
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 01:57   Link #565
zodanhko
*ignoring*

I don't think Kirito wanted to use her as a bait, but he ended up using her as a bait because of the circumstances. They had 4 days to revive Pina since <<Pina's Heart>> object could only last that long before it disappears, and the beast tamer (owner) must be presence for the revival item to appear. So, it was impossible to help Scilica reviving Pina without facing the Pkers ( although Scilica didn't realize). Scilica was willing to risk her life to revive Pina so there was nothing else Kirito could do besides helping her.

Although Kirito did not tell Scilica about the Pkers, I don't think Scilica's decision will change even if she knew, and it will only makes her more anxious.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 06:41   Link #566
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
I don't think Kirito wanted to use her as a bait, but he ended up using her as a bait because of the circumstances. They had 4 days to revive Pina since <<Pina's Heart>> object could only last that long before it disappears, and the beast tamer (owner) must be presence for the revival item to appear. So, it was impossible to help Scilica reviving Pina without facing the Pkers ( although Scilica didn't realize). Scilica was willing to risk her life to revive Pina so there was nothing else Kirito could do besides helping her.

Although Kirito did not tell Scilica about the Pkers, I don't think Scilica's decision will change even if she knew, and it will only makes her more anxious.
I find this interesting because if it was like this then would she not be like Kirito in this regard . I mean if she was then it would be the same right . They both wanted something to revive someone and they both guilt about that persons death.
Old 2012-07-26, 11:30   Link #567
Deltaray

Seems that they will fully adapt Black swordsman, atleast they kept party at start of it, according to these images:

http://seventhstyle.com/2012/07/26/s...elease-images/

I have good feeling for next episode, hopefully it stays like that after episode too.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 11:41   Link #568
Awrya
U mad?

I noticed you can't be disappointed if your expectations are low. If you still are, maybe it's time to drop it
Another thing I noticed, if you watch the anime first then read LN, your overall impression will increase(like it did for To aru), while it decreases if you do it the other way (like SAO).

Where do you get the preview pictures from? If I remember right they don't show previews at the end of an episode.

Edit: Just saw from pictures that the equipment Kirito gave to Silica are meant for females. Wonder if equipment looks change depending on how it'd actually look good on Kirito in GGO
Old 2012-07-26, 11:50   Link #569
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Where do you get the preview pictures from? If I remember right they don't show previews at the end of an episode.
I'm not sure about the preview pictures (as I don't recognise them, having watched the actual PV for episode 4), but I know that each preview video gets uploaded to the anime's official website.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 11:53   Link #570
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
I'm not sure about the preview pictures (as I don't recognise them, having watched the actual PV for episode 4), but I know that each preview video gets uploaded to the anime's official website.
Thanks.
Did the staff cut down the previews to allow a bit more story in the episodes?
Old 2012-07-26, 11:56   Link #571
Deltaray

Preview picture are from this link here http://www.swordart-online.net/story/index04.html

Preview pv gets uploaded to that site every wednesday, and preview pictures usually day after.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 11:57   Link #572
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Thanks.
Did the staff cut down the previews to allow a bit more story in the episodes?
Nah, the previews don't cut away from the broadcast time. Some studios just choose to release them a little before the episode airs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
Preview pv gets uploaded to that site every wednesday, and preview pictures usually day after.
Ah, thanks.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 16:54   Link #573
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
I find this interesting because if it was like this then would she not be like Kirito in this regard . I mean if she was then it would be the same right . They both wanted something to revive someone and they both guilt about that persons death.
That and although Kirito said he used her as "bait" the flip side is she/her party was already being "cased" by that "evil player" so you could also say he was guarding her at the same time!

Frankly, I read all the SAO stories before watching it.. and I haven't actually been too disappointed by what I've seen! I like that Lisbeth and Silicia have cameos in Ep1 and been introduced earlier, whereas in the LNs they feel like they just suddenly appear..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 13:09   Link #574
Utsuro no Hako

Title for next ep is "Incident in the Area" which I take to be Murder Case. Not totally thrilled by the idea, but we'll see how they do. My big worry is if they include Heathcliff's scenes, viewers might be suspicious of his knowledge of game mechanics. It wasn't a problem in the original story since readers already knew his identity, but in chronological order it might be too big a clue.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 13:11   Link #575
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Title for next ep is "Incident in the Area" which I take to be Murder Case. Not totally thrilled by the idea, but we'll see how they do. My big worry is if they include Heathcliff's scenes, viewers might be suspicious of his knowledge of game mechanics. It wasn't a problem in the original story since readers already knew his identity, but in chronological order it might be too big a clue.
it is a big clue. That was the weakest part of "Murder" how no one has ever question Heathcliff about why/how he knows so much about the game mechanic.
Old 2012-07-28, 13:27   Link #576
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
On the bright side, that means we're finally going to get to see some animated KiritoxAsuna. (at least, the beginnings of it, anyway) Of course another downside is, I don't see how they can successfully crunch all that material into one episode, assuming it really does turn out to be one episode. (and the studio's current pattern would support this) So yeah, we may be looking at the worst time-crunch of the series next week.
Old 2012-07-28, 13:53   Link #577
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

Seeing that next episode maybe the "murder case" then the next after that will be Warmth of the Heart which is Lizbet story and then finally entering the main story from vol 1 of SAO, if it really follows the timeline

If they will really use the information by Heathcliff, it looks like that many people will have a hunch later that he may be the culprit or something like that...
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 13:58   Link #578
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_Lelouch View Post
Seeing that next episode maybe the "murder case" then the next after that will be Warmth of the Heart which is Lizbet story and then finally entering the main story from vol 1 of SAO, if it really follows the timeline

If they will really use the information by Heathcliff, it looks like that many people will have a hunch later that he may be the culprit or something like that...
if i was doing the adaption i would have the source of the info come form someone other then heathcliff or at least spread it out form multiply people.
Old 2012-07-28, 14:08   Link #579
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Yeah, this is going to be pretty brutal to watch unless they seriously condense it somehow, but given its format I have no idea what could be cut to have it make sense. And they better not cut the KiritoXAsuna scenes.

Agreed on the issue of having Heathcliff being the source of info. Although it did make for what I thought was a funny scene with Heathcliff grumbling about that restaurant.

If Warmth is the last story before the main plot, that gives us 6 or 7 episodes for the main plot including an episode on Yui so I gues 5 or 6? Can that work without a lot of cutting?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 14:10   Link #580
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Yeah, this is going to be pretty brutal to watch unless they seriously condense it somehow, but given its format I have no idea what could be cut to have it make sense. And they better not cut the KiritoXAsuna scenes.

Agreed on the issue of having Heathcliff being the source of info. Although it did make for what I thought was a funny scene with Heathcliff grumbling about that restaurant.

If Warmth is the last story before the main plot, that gives us 6 or 7 episodes for the main plot including an episode on Yui so I gues 5 or 6? Can that work without a lot of cutting?
they could still have heathcliff do some of the explanation but he needs sound less like someone reading straight form the Manuel.