Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-09-23, 01:29   Link #9361
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post
As long as it has the fuel to maintain thrust, shouldn't it be able to accelerate indefinitely?
As long as it has the propellant, yes. Time frame of acceleration is different from rate of acceleration. The rate of acceleration is the fastest the Freedom's thrusters can accelerate the Freedom, which for the insane 20 Gs I set it as is 196.2 m/s squared. If the Freedom accelerated at 20 Gs for 20 seconds, it would be traveling at a speed of almost 4,000 m/s after those twenty seconds. The time frame of acceleration, aka burn time, is those 20 seconds the Freedom had its thrusters active.

This is where deltaV budget is so important: The amount of onboard fuel the craft needs to achieve a specific mission. If the Freedom needs a budget of over 7,000 m/s but only has a basic capacity of even 6,000 m/s, it's not getting where it needs to go. That's where external propellant tanks and boosters come in so handy. Similarly, if the Freedom's max thrust was 20 Gs and it accelerated for those 20 seconds, it would have used up 4,000 m/s of it's deltaV budget, or over half. Past the point of no return, if you want to say it like that. It'd have 2000 m/s left in its budget, which would mean it could handle another acceleration period of 20 Gs for ~10 seconds before it was almost completely out of fuel.
Old 2013-09-23, 09:34   Link #9362
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
As long as it has the propellant, yes.
Well, thank you. That's my point all along. Everything else is just guesswork as we don't really know the Freedom's spec, but the scene itself does not imply that the Freedom's inability to go to space is a factor.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 10:47   Link #9363
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
As long as it has the propellant, yes. Time frame of acceleration is different from rate of acceleration. The rate of acceleration is the fastest the Freedom's thrusters can accelerate the Freedom, which for the insane 20 Gs I set it as is 196.2 m/s squared. If the Freedom accelerated at 20 Gs for 20 seconds, it would be traveling at a speed of almost 4,000 m/s after those twenty seconds. The time frame of acceleration, aka burn time, is those 20 seconds the Freedom had its thrusters active.

This is where deltaV budget is so important: The amount of onboard fuel the craft needs to achieve a specific mission. If the Freedom needs a budget of over 7,000 m/s but only has a basic capacity of even 6,000 m/s, it's not getting where it needs to go. That's where external propellant tanks and boosters come in so handy. Similarly, if the Freedom's max thrust was 20 Gs and it accelerated for those 20 seconds, it would have used up 4,000 m/s of it's deltaV budget, or over half. Past the point of no return, if you want to say it like that. It'd have 2000 m/s left in its budget, which would mean it could handle another acceleration period of 20 Gs for ~10 seconds before it was almost completely out of fuel.
But we don't know the limits or nature of the fuel the Freedom uses. Or in any Gundam series really. It's clearly not good ole liquid oxygen. Obviously it's much more powerful pound for pound.

I suppose what we could do is figure out flight times for the various vehicles in the series.

I think the Strike swam for around six hours while searching for Cagalli. That limit alluded to a battery life, but let's assume it also meant propellant.

Do we know how long Archangel went between refuelings when it made it's world tour in Seed?

Freedom was able to leave Plant and accelerate to a speed that allowed it to reach Alaska in a couple days I think? Considering that Kira is in a hurry we could assume he pushed Freedom to it's limits.

What kind of numbers can be gathered from these incidents?
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 14:18   Link #9364
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post
I think the Strike swam for around six hours while searching for Cagalli. That limit alluded to a battery life, but let's assume it also meant propellant.
I don’t think so. IIRC Murrue told Kira to “Come back after two hours regardless of the result of the search to rest (and most probably to refuel Strike) and try again after that.” and Kira obeyed it. He just didn’t rest properly after that, which is why Mu scolded him. So, Strike didn’t swim for six hours straight at least.
Old 2013-09-23, 18:02   Link #9365
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I don’t think so. IIRC Murrue told Kira to “Come back after two hours regardless of the result of the search to rest (and most probably to refuel Strike) and try again after that.” and Kira obeyed it. He just didn’t rest properly after that, which is why Mu scolded him. So, Strike didn’t swim for six hours straight at least.
He didn't obey it. He stayed out as long as Strike allowed. I think?

And I really think the incident with Freedom flying from Plant to Earth is a good indicator of what kind of range it has. He isn't assisted at all when leaving Plant. There is no catapult. Freedom flies straight up a shaft and out of the hangar.

Kira is in a hurry, so he'd push Freedom as hard as he could. The only limitations being that he needs to re-enter the atmosphere and be able to stop his descent before burning up or crashing into the planet and the expectation that he'll need to fight once he arrives. With the former, you can assume he could put on the brakes shortly before arriving, but that would eat up as much fuel as he spent in getting to the planet.

So what kind of time-table do we have? Kira has to start at Plant which is half way to the moon and reach earth. In the show, I think it changes depending on what version you watch. In the original I think it takes him a couple days. In the special edition a couple hours?
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 18:30   Link #9366
Aquaman OS

Plus as I said not only does he go that far without refueling, but he then proceeds to immediately fight a massive battle mostly by himself, and then pedal's to the metal to avoid a big explosion.....and then when offered to refuel he refuses and threatens to leave in it if they pry for its secrets, and says he can take it far far away. Granted he relents and lets them bring it to the hangar when they make it clear they aren't planning on giving the NJC to the EA but still.

Justice meanwhile goes the same length and then follows Kira all the way to Orb, and then fights at least one battle, maybe 3 as it doesn't look like Justice got any mantainance until they were up in space.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 18:47   Link #9367
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Freedom View Post
I'm not so sure about that.

Seed started in CE 71, and from my understanding CE 1 was actually 2015. So CE 71 would be 2086. Even so, if tech advanced at a similar rate as it did from 1915 to 1986 who knows what may be possible.
it would be even more than that technological advancement. don't forget that coordinators are really advanced and basically set the bar on technology. as well as the rate of advancement during the 2 wars shot up in massive degrees.
Old 2013-09-24, 20:42   Link #9368
The American Average
2LMES

Since this thread usually has heated debates how about something a little different, something i haven't seen on this board in awhile at least. What is your favorite mobile suit in the Cosmic Era. doesn't matter if its in anime, manga, novel, or games.

for me my favorite suits are: Akatsuki, Dreadnought, Zaku Phantom Slash Wizard, and Stargazer
Old 2013-09-24, 23:23   Link #9369
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by The American Average View Post
Since this thread usually has heated debates how about something a little different, something i haven't seen on this board in awhile at least. What is your favorite mobile suit in the Cosmic Era. doesn't matter if its in anime, manga, novel, or games.

for me my favorite suits are: Akatsuki, Dreadnought, Zaku Phantom Slash Wizard, and Stargazer
My Top 10

1. Saviour/Vent Saviour
2. Destiny (Heine Colors)
3. Astray Red Frame/Gold Frame (Tie, red is classic but I like the normal Gold alot)
4. Freedom (first one :P)
5. Strike (Classic
6. Strike Noir (baddddasssssss)
7. Strike Freedom (dont like the DRAGOONS much, preferred the MiMAT wings)
8. Legend
9. Blitz
10. Calamity

And a special mention
Spoiler for For teh lulz:
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 00:44   Link #9370
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The American Average View Post

Blitz is my favorite CE mobile suit.

That said, there is a more generic thread for this type of question: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=22529

And it just so happened to be created because of the original release of Destiny.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 00:52   Link #9371
The American Average
2LMES

yes i know there are threads all over the place for "favorite robot" but for the last, what 20 pages, has been nothing but back and forth bickering, i would like to change the atmosphere for at least 1 page.

Last edited by The American Average; 2013-09-25 at 01:59.
The American Average is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 00:55   Link #9372
S.Freedom

Hmm, favorite ms' huh?

1, Savior (Athrun under used the thing)<.<
2. Freedom
3. Guaiz R (it had potential imo)
4. I. Justice (would've looked better without the physical shield imo)
5. Chaos
6. Astray (needs more love)

For some reason I like the under used suits more than the better used ones. Well the Freedom excluded anyway.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 13:45   Link #9373
quagmire

1. Strike
2. Freedom
3. Aegis
4. Verde Buster
5. Strike Noir
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 16:24   Link #9374
Destined_Fate

I prefer a Top 5.

1) Destiny
2) Impulse + Packs
3) Akatsuki
4) Savior
5) Strike Noire
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 20:31   Link #9375
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

1. Blitz
2. Aegis
3. Destiny
4. Strike Noir
5. Stargazer

I have an aversion towards MS painted in the standard red-blue-white color scheme. And practicality in the suit's design as well as a solid basis for its existence triumph all other reasons.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 23:15   Link #9376
Washu-Chan