AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Rozen Maiden

Notices

Old 2006-03-19, 12:45   Link #1041
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

My GF was "amused" when I describe RM to her, but after I made her watch it she now is a big fan. My house mate who is a girl was very sceptical about RM (and anime in general), but RM, Air and Last Exile has converted her... Although I still hear her tell her girlfriends that I am really childish since I watch cartoons

I always forget I am watching a show about dolls, even though there are so many reminders. I mainly see RM as character interaction drama with a great story line. Maybe I am subconciously denying the fact that they are dolls...

@Jekyll - Have I told you how much I love your avatar?
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 14:18   Link #1042
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
*Spins around* HOLY SH*T! 2 pages and I haven't posted once. I'm definetly NOT sleeping ever again.

Quote:
Anyhow, Zero, there will be a third season? Or is it just a rumor? Anything to back it up? (and to make my heart soar?)
Nope, as I said, "we may have another series". It's unfortunate that we don't have the right answer for that yet =\ The only thing we have to back this up is that the manga is still being made, and that the part covered in "Traumend" ended a few chapters ago. Other than that I can't say much.

And YAY for the Desu-a-Thon. Maybe I should visit 4chan more often after this one. Thanks a lot for the link, Jekyll. I'll see if I can upload it to my webhost so people can download it easier/faster. <3 Suiseiseki.

I agree there that Gin is the only "hot" maiden. Since she's the one who appears to be the "oldest", in appearance. All the others are cute, but you certainly wouldn't find Hina Ichigo or Sousei Seki hot. (Since Sousei even looks like a guy to me. ). But I find Shinku and Suisei Seki the cutest (And since I usually go for "cute" instead of "hot", you get the picture =P). Besides, the only one who has breasts IS Suigin Tou, lol. (Even if she's a flattie.)

Quote:
and I'm loving it.
Rofl, you're definetly a Junk fanboy. Gin and now McDonalds?

Quote:
Actually, I was introduced to RM "unofficially" because the webmaster of g-seed (Depresionist) was preaching about Suigintou this and Gin-sama that
HOLY CRAP, YOU'RE THE SAME AS ME!
I also used to visit there. Then after Depresionist started posting Gin pics on his /b/ session, I decided to check RM out.
My story also =P

Quote:
This show is dangerous. I must go and do something macho now to convince myself that I' still a manly viking, instead of rewatching it all .
Lol, I felt like that after I finished Traumend also. I couldn't sleep and had nightmares all night long. Next morning, I woke up and decided to go kill stuff, so I played CS for the most part of the day. But, bleh. Right now I'm not really caring for that, sincerely. RM is just too good to deny you like it :P

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 14:24   Link #1043
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara

HOLY CRAP, YOU'RE THE SAME AS ME!
I also used to visit there. Then after Depresionist started posting Gin pics on his /b/ session, I decided to check RM out.
My story also =P
Have I ever seen you at GSO? I don't recall.

I hope season 3 is longer than the others. (20 episodes is fine.)
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 15:14   Link #1044
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

24, probably, since RM has always aired on the second half of the year.

And I've only been active there from march to mid-september and my activity can't really be called that great too =P
I usually post on /b/ when I'm at school, so I have the time to go check it.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2006-03-19, 15:40   Link #1045
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Funnily enough, Träumend cured me from my self-imposed anime exile due to Gundam SEED DESTINY being the worst show, anime or live action, that I have ever seen in my life. A charming and excellenty pulled of show was exactly what I needed .

Anyone know if the Rozen Maden manga is or will be available in English?
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 15:44   Link #1046
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:
Funnily enough, Träumend cured me from my self-imposed anime exile due to Gundam SEED DESTINY being the worst show, anime or live action, that I have ever seen in my life. A charming and excellenty pulled of show was exactly what I needed .

Anyone know if the Rozen Maden manga is or will be available in English?
Lol, I felt like that too. But after seeing the Ending v2, I felt a bit of pity of Fukuda and accepted GSD as a so-and-so series. FMP did that to me, though, since I watched it a few weeks after GSD.

Yes, it will be avaiable in english, starting in May. I posted a link a few pages ago to the TokyoPop website. I already made my pre-order of it, though =P

Old 2006-03-19, 15:58   Link #1047
blitz1/2

I can't wait until it comes to Canada!
Old 2006-03-19, 15:59   Link #1048
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Well, if it's printed by Tokyopop, you might aswell buy it up there.

http://www.tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?p...productid=3674

Here's the link again.

Old 2006-03-19, 16:32   Link #1049
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Well, if it's printed by Tokyopop, you might aswell buy it up there.

http://www.tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?p...productid=3674

Here's the link again.
Ah, most excellent. Thank you .
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 18:14   Link #1050
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

No problem. Subete wa Rozen Maiden no tame ni!

(Poorly spelt, completely ripped off Gundam series, but it fits, doesn't it? )

Old 2006-03-19, 19:56   Link #1051
Lost

This topic really is flourishing. 2 pages in a night. Lovely Lovely, and even when the series has ended. Wow. Zero, I'm with you in not going to sleep anymore. I shall now camp out on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon
I always forget I am watching a show about dolls, even though there are so many reminders. I mainly see RM as character interaction drama with a great story line. Maybe I am subconciously denying the fact that they are dolls...
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
I can really relate with srb being a guy watching Rozen Maiden. At few times while watching the series I questioned my masculinity: why the f**k am I watching a show about dolls? And because I take psychology seriously, I even went so far as to ask myself if I was gay ...
I really wouldn't call the Rozen Maiden "dolls" in the true meaning of the word. I guess by my definition of "dolls" what I see are porcelain white creations with fixed smiles, dead eyes, and lifeless limbs, dressed up according to the whims/perferences of the Maker/Owner. For them to come to life to the Owner, he/she has to imagine, play at imagining with the dolls at tea-parties, dress-up and dinner lunches. We also assocaiate playing with Dolls as doting over them, taking a mother-complex to them. And I think thats why Dolls are associated with girls because they tend to lean towards this kind of motherly play imagining, plus the fact that most dolls are of the female gender. (Which is also why if you were a guy that play imagined with girly Dolls I would call a doctor. )

I too never once came to think of the RMs as dolls during both seasons and I think what makes us foget that the RMs are "dolls" is firstly: they move on their own, so it does take any imagining on our part for them to come alive and do what they do. Second: they have a personality of their own, and that personality becomes them - giving them (what seems to us like) THEIR own preference in dress, action, nuances. Again freeing us from imagining, as its all provided to us. Third: these dolls kick ass, so there is no involvement of motherly-i-need-to-look-after-you feelings on our (guy's) part. Maybe some girl viewers feel that way but I dont know. Because of all the above reasons I think that they became VERY VERY human to all of us (see Anthropomorphism), and just as no (okay, few) guys have a problem with watching cute female human characters, we became more or less okay with watching really human dolls.

I hope what I said makes some sense.

Right, physics223, a teenage girl with a hole for her stomach? My favourite doll, *ahem* human doll would be Sui. I have to admit, SuiginTou is stately. Hina steals the show with her cuteness. But my favourite is still Sui.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-03-19 at 20:09.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 21:12   Link #1052
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:
and just as no (okay, few) guys have a problem with watching cute female human characters, we became more or less okay with watching really human dolls.
Wow, I agree with you on that. Throughout the years of watching anime, we become used to seeing the fluffy, cute, uber-kawaii girl stereotypes (Like Hina, for example). The concept of an anime about dolls is really something that turns off a lot of people, and it almost did to me. (I have to thank this to Dep, though. I started to watch RM just because I trusted his good judgement on anime =P).

Quote:
Maybe some girl viewers feel that way but I dont know. Because of all the above reasons I think that they became VERY VERY human to all of us (see Anthropomorphism)
Well... I don't think anyone who watches Rozem Maiden to the end and still has the guts to say "It sucked. It's an anime about dolls!" should be even considered human. It's something similar to saying "animals don't deserve anything, they're just animals!" in my belief; you just shouldn't be alive if you did that. The truth is that they do grow inside of you, and the way the anime puts it into you is even more of a shock, because you really do feel the emotions coming out of them; you feel their joy, at the same time you feel their pain. It's not that easy to find that in anime nowadays.

I believe that one of the catches of RM is that they are constantly saying they are dolls; however, you simply deny it. You don't BELIEVE they are dolls, you simply ignore that fact and treat/act towards them as if they were human. People do this with pets, anime, or even objects they like, it's a natural thing to do in some occasions. So besides the drama fact of Rozen Maiden, there's that little glimpse of psychology in it too.

And about this motherly feeling you talked about, well we see the complete contrary of it with Rozen Maiden. It's the "dolls" that take care of Jun, specially in the first season. It's then after a few episodes that we see this coming around. But it's Shinku who has mainly changed Jun from it's depressed state to a more normal, walking forward personality.

Old 2006-03-19, 21:16   Link #1053
blitz1/2

Quote:
Wow, I agree with you on that. Throughout the years of watching anime, we become used to seeing the fluffy, cute, uber-kawaii girl stereotypes (Like Hina, for example). The concept of an anime about dolls is really something that turns off a lot of people, and it almost did to me. (I have to thank this to Dep, though. I started to watch RM just because I trusted his good judgement on anime =P).

Well... I don't think anyone who watches Rozem Maiden to the end and still has the guts to say "It sucked. It's an anime about dolls!" should be even considered human. It's something similar to saying "animals don't deserve anything, they're just animals!" in my belief; you just shouldn't be alive if you did that. The truth is that they do grow inside of you, and the way the anime puts it into you is even more of a shock, because you really do feel the emotions coming out of them; you feel their joy, at the same time you feel their pain. It's not that easy to find that in anime nowadays.

I believe that one of the catches of RM is that they are constantly saying they are dolls; however, you simply deny it. You don't BELIEVE they are dolls, you simply ignore that fact and treat/act towards them as if they were human. People do this with pets, anime, or even objects they like, it's a natural thing to do in some occasions. So besides the drama fact of Rozen Maiden, there's that little glimpse of psychology in it too.

And about this motherly feeling you talked about, well we see the complete contrary of it with Rozen Maiden. It's the "dolls" that take care of Jun, specially in the first season. It's then after a few episodes that we see this coming around. But it's Shinku who has mainly changed Jun from it's depressed state to a more normal, walking forward personality.
I can't express it any better. ^_^
Old 2006-03-19, 21:30   Link #1054
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Wow, one thing I just found out is that SHINKU is being translated to SHIKU.

Holy crap, is this one of those Tokyopop nightmares again? What if they REALLY do translate Sui's name to "Junk"?
This really SHOULDN'T be happening!

Old 2006-03-19, 21:36   Link #1055
blitz1/2

No! This shouldn't be happening! It's Shinku not Shiku. Also, I would go mad if they used the name "junk" for Suigintou.

They better not screw up Kirakishou.
Old 2006-03-19, 21:43   Link #1056
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Well I was just kidding about changing her name to Junk :P

But I'd expect a little bit of chopping here and there, since even if it has the name, Tokyopop's still an americanized company.
One thing that made me really get pissed was translating Hikaru's name to "Lucy" in the Angelic Layer manga back in Brazil. Otakus there have to swallow a bunch of these, seriously.

Old 2006-03-19, 21:59   Link #1057
Dark Steno
Zigadongdong!

Send a message via MSN to Dark Steno
Ah, speaking of manga publishing companies in America, I prefer Del-Rey as they preserved honorifics. I just hope Tokyopop doesnt do much damage to the RM manga.
Dark Steno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 22:07   Link #1058
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Well they shouldn't really do >much< damage to it. But if you're an perfeccionist (is this how it's spelt? :P) otaku like me, you'd rather have to spin your tongue in and out to say a word than having it translated into some hidious forms.

I wouldn't be surprised if they changed Hina's name to "50 cent" if they knew it would make sales go up.

Old 2006-03-19, 22:14   Link #1059
Lost

Quote:
The truth is that they do grow inside of you, and the way the anime puts it into you is even more of a shock, because you really do feel the emotions coming out of them; you feel their joy, at the same time you feel their pain. It's not that easy to find that in anime nowadays.
And thats why the series RM is a great anime!

Quote:
Yes thats actually quite true... Thinking on it now, another aspect to it: do you remember in the last two eps of RM, when Jun protected Shinku and comforted her? Would that be considered motherly? Nah, I don't think so.. Maybe more Fatherly HAHA Or a boyfriend kinda feeling... eeew..
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 22:20   Link #1060
Dark Steno
Zigadongdong!

Send a message via MSN to Dark Steno
Quote:
Well they shouldn't really do >much< damage to it. But if you're an perfeccionist (is this how it's spelt? :P) otaku like me, you'd rather have to spin your tongue in and out to say a word than having it translated into some hidious forms.

I wouldn't be surprised if they changed Hina's name to "50 cent" if they knew it would make sales go up.
I will jump off from the world's tallest twin tower.
Dark Steno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, nomad, peach-pit, seinen, sequel, supernatural