Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-09-27, 13:42   Link #41
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Actually, that's a pretty "new" word, it's not in any dictionary. If you google it, you mainly get links to hataraki-man sites .
I don't know, JDIC has it in its vocabulary alright. As for "moto", the dictionary gives both "beginning" and "previous".

PS: I don't know why this is so important either. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 14:33   Link #42
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:

I'm pretty convinced it means "originally giant breasts", which is supposed to contrast "fake giant breasts" (i.e. ones that you didn't have "originally")
I think you are right, its probably serving as "元から巨乳だった" in this case

I dont know if it qualifies as a word of its own right though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Doesn't 元巨乳 mean "used to be large-busted", though?
I think it could mean that in a different context.
But looking at the picture should makes it hard to argue that.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 16:04   Link #43
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
I don't know, JDIC has it in its vocabulary alright. As for "moto", the dictionary gives both "beginning" and "previous".

PS: I don't know why this is so important either. 8)
There's a wikipedia entry on it, http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B7%A8%E4%B9%B3
trust me, it's fascinating, and explains that the word only broke into common use in 1989. I'd call that pretty "new."
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 16:55   Link #44
Rion
Ramune~

To bring up a slightly other topic... am I the only person around who was rather put off by the trailer? Hataraki Man was one of the animes I was anticipating the most (finally a josei again! Yay! Did I ever mention how much I love Noitamina?), but the weird music, the voice actors that I don't really like (so far) and especially that "I love my work"-crap was rather disappointing to me ^^; The manga looked so good though. But oh well, it's only a trailer.
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 17:19   Link #45
NeoSam

Seinen(young men's) manga by Moyoco Anno:

Hataraki Man serialized in the seinen manga magazine Morning, a magazine for men in their 20's and 30's.

Sakuran serialized in the seinen manga magazine Evening, a magazine for men between 25 to 35.

Flowers and Bees serialized in the seinen manga magazine Young Magazine.
Old 2006-09-27, 21:07   Link #46
wao
OK.

Quote:
There's a wikipedia entry on it, http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B7%A8%E4%B9%B3
trust me, it's fascinating, and explains that the word only broke into common use in 1989. I'd call that pretty "new."
I wasn't talking about kyonyuu (it doesn't even switch properly in the IME), I was talking about that particular "moto".

"Moto" can be written in many ways that have many subtle meanings, but 元 is the only one that refers to "ex-" (like "ex-policeman" is 元警察官, "ex-girlfriend" 元彼女). Heck, even in that article you link it's used: "...、AV女優松坂季実子..."

Even though she doesn't look flat I think maybe they meant that she used to be... ah... even more well-endowed. Except that stress or something caused a change.

And I'm arguing about this because 1. it changes the nature of the sentence and 2. I don't want to study for my biology test >_<
Old 2006-09-27, 21:14   Link #47
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Even though she doesn't look flat I think maybe they meant that she used to be... ah... even more well-endowed. Except that stress or something caused a change.
Damn, Noitamina is getting positively interesting. The effect of being a workaholic on the breast size. They could devolop it as a dramatic subplot with her boyfriend lamenting the "shrinkage" and Hiroko weighing the work she loves and her breasts against each other.

Can she go on living with this dilemma? Which is more important to her? Is she developing a life-threatening illness? Will her coworkers support the new Hiroko? Will she overcome this loss? Ah, the drama of seinen/josei anime! 8)

PS:
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 22:39   Link #48
Siegel Clyne

Anno Moyoco has done josei manga (Happy Mania; Shiba toiu na no Fuku wo Kite; CHAMELEON ARMY; Kantoku Fuyukitodoki), shoujo manga (Jelly Beans; Sugar Sugar Rune), and seinen manga (Hana to Mitsubachi {Flowers and Bees}; Sakuran; Hatarakiman / Hataraki Man).

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2006-09-27 at 23:11.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 23:10   Link #49
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion
To bring up a slightly other topic... am I the only person around who was rather put off by the trailer? Hataraki Man was one of the animes I was anticipating the most (finally a josei again! Yay! Did I ever mention how much I love Noitamina?), but the weird music, the voice actors that I don't really like (so far) and especially that "I love my work"-crap was rather disappointing to me ^^; The manga looked so good though. But oh well, it's only a trailer.
Actually, yeah, I thought this trailer was crap. But I know how the manga goes so I'm not worried. I think it was just too stylistcally "japanese preview"y.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-09-28, 02:42   Link #50
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne
Anno Moyoco has done josei manga (Happy Mania; Shiba toiu na no Fuku wo Kite; CHAMELEON ARMY; Kantoku Fuyukitodoki), shoujo manga (Jelly Beans; Sugar Sugar Rune), and seinen manga (Hana to Mitsubachi {Flowers and Bees}; Sakuran; Hatarakiman / Hataraki Man).
Thanks for the info
Old 2006-09-28, 04:57   Link #51
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion
I agree. I thought I was the only one that thought this, and I didn't want to spoil the general positive attitude towards Hataraki Man so I didn't mention it.

I thought it looked kind of....boring. Like, there's nothing to "hook" the viewer. I know it's a slice-of-life type thing, but still.
Old 2006-09-28, 08:37   Link #52
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Ehh - most trailers for anime look boring to me, I didn't pay it much mind. It's gotten to the point where I only rarely watch them anymore.
Old 2006-09-28, 12:07   Link #53
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Ehh - most trailers for anime look boring to me, I didn't pay it much mind. It's gotten to the point where I only rarely watch them anymore.
Well, now that you mention it, I guess that's actually true. I don't remember being wowed by any anime trailer I've seen, since they usually use clips from the first episode and nothing *really* interesting happens there. The closest trailer to wowing me was the Kanon one since it reminded me of AIR. The Negima OVA one is great too.
Old 2006-09-28, 13:33   Link #54
issei

i laughed at how the trailer ends by pitching the series as something that'll make you love work more. this is definitely aimed at a different audience than the usual fluff that populates 90% of any given season, and i'm looking forward to it.
Old 2006-09-28, 13:47   Link #55
Ishimaru-kun
My one and only

Send a message via AIM to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via MSN to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via Yahoo to Ishimaru-kun
I'm definitely looking forward to this one, and several others from this fall season can't wait for it to start!
Ishimaru-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 17:28   Link #56
Theowne
耳をすませば

I'll check it because it's on Noitamina (H&C's old block) and because Ueda Yuji's in it. I don't know much else about the series, but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 21:29   Link #57
wao
OK.

I guess trailers are only useful as a very general gauge about what the series is going to be like (for example, Hataraki Man is not... an action series.) But those are painfully obvious usually anyway.

I guess sometimes they show the style and mood of the show: though this can always change too.
Perhaps you can generally judge the animation/production quality from the visual qualities of the trailer (and the animation wasn't good, but what do you expect from Studio Gallop)... of course they usually put their best animation into the trailer, so you won't know how bad it can get, but how good it can get - so if what they show you has sucky animation, be prepared for teh rest

After Eureka 7 though, I think I've been watching a lot less trailers...

EDIT: And just to be an arrogant snob and close off the "Naturally Large-Busted" debate -
Spoiler for quote from 2ch:
There >:<

Last edited by wao; 2006-09-30 at 21:46.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 01:04   Link #58
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Sorry, but when will this show start showing?
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 01:37   Link #59
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
EDIT: And just to be an arrogant snob and close off the "Naturally Large-Busted" debate -
Spoiler for quote from 2ch:
There >:<
Wait a minute... that comment from 2-chan didn't explain anything! They said it was wrong and explained how it was a hook to get otaku's to watch the show, but... well, that's obvious. How exactly was our interpretation so off? What's WRONG with that translation?
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-10-08, 11:39   Link #60
NeoSam

Here is volume 3 of Hataraki Man manga:

Seinen manga.
Serialized in: Morning

Tags
noitamina, office, seinen