AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-26, 11:06   Link #61
Ja-Y-Ce
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
If Alto hates being called princess, why doesn't he just get a goddamn hair cut? That's my only complaint I have with the series.
Lolz, suddenly I have this silly idea. We should get a poll to decide whether he should get a haircut or not. Spread it to 4ch then to 2ch. Surely, the macross production team will get what the fans want... about his hair...

and I do not think that the yaoi fan girls will move away if he does have his hair cut. Hime sama will always remain as a hime sama... but he might be more "hansamu" than"girly" this time... oh well.
Old 2008-04-26, 21:10   Link #62
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Alto should embrace both his sky-love and kabuki-blood. Then we can have Ranka, Sheryl and Alto performing as a trio in a cross-cultural musical performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
And we can't forget the dramatic "cut my hair" scene to symbolize how he is a new person sometime during the series! Last few examples of that I've personally seen was in Eureka Seven (woman though) and the Ps2 Tales of the Abyss RPG (long haired dude!).
That'll probably only happen when he goes to (( verbally )) bitchslap his dad. Still a far ways off, if a glare from meters away instantly him with his kabuki background sheet showing.

The thing is though, why would he even pull a Kabuki-pose with his VF? Unless deep down, he doesn't really hate his 'family business' and is only feeling some sort of complex (( inferiority, obligations, choices, dreams, etc )), he's really gotten the onna-gata down to the 'o.' I mean, for someone who hates people talking about his feminine looks, he really spends a LONG time fixing his hair in front of the mirror.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-04-26, 21:20   Link #63
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

The thing is though, why would he even pull a Kabuki-pose with his VF?
Another possibility would be that he was once so immersed with the training, now he just pulls it off instinctively. I am sure you have experienced something similar.

But that was some funny sh*t.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2008-04-27 at 12:38.
Old 2008-04-27, 12:23   Link #64
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
That'll probably only happen when he goes to (( verbally )) bitchslap his dad. Still a far ways off, if a glare from meters away instantly him with his kabuki background sheet showing.
Definitely a long way off.

Quote:
The thing is though, why would he even pull a Kabuki-pose with his VF? Unless deep down, he doesn't really hate his 'family business' and is only feeling some sort of complex (( inferiority, obligations, choices, dreams, etc )), he's really gotten the onna-gata down to the 'o.' I mean, for someone who hates people talking about his feminine looks, he really spends a LONG time fixing his hair in front of the mirror.
That pose just took me completely by surprise and cracked me up.
Old 2008-04-27, 12:36   Link #65
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Definitely a long way off.

That pose just took me completely by surprise and cracked me up.
like ozma said, "baka"

you don't stop in the middle of a battle to pwn your opponent, when there are still enemies about.

Old 2008-04-27, 12:58   Link #66
4Tran

Quote:
The thing is though, why would he even pull a Kabuki-pose with his VF?
There's both an in-universe and an out-of-universe explanation. The in-universe one is that he's a bit of a show-off, and so he makes either a cool pose to celebrate (or one that comes to him naturally). The out-of-universe explanation is that cool poses are de rigueur for mecha shows, and that by making such an unusual pose, and getting Ozma to yell at Alto about it, the creators are poking fun at this convention.

Quote:
Unless deep down, he doesn't really hate his 'family business' and is only feeling some sort of complex (( inferiority, obligations, choices, dreams, etc )), he's really gotten the onna-gata down to the 'o.' I mean, for someone who hates people talking about his feminine looks, he really spends a LONG time fixing his hair in front of the mirror.
I get the feeling that Alto dislikes being forced to live up to the tradition more than he really minds actually living up to it. Another aspect of his character seems to be that he likes the way he looks, but he still doesn't like being made fun of because of it.

Then again, it's sort of natural to prim a little bit in episode 4 given that he's treats going to Ranka's pageant quite importantly, and that he's also making sure that he got rid of all that make up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
like ozma said, "baka"

you don't stop in the middle of a battle to pwn your opponent, when there are still enemies about.
Correction: you don't do that in Macross.
Old 2008-04-27, 13:14   Link #67
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Correction: you don't do that in Macross.
HA! So true. Macross is one of the few franchise without a signature move/pose (while Gundam and others all had at least one). The triple M is the closest signature pose you will ever get in Macross, then again, everyone does it, not just the heroes.

- Tak
Old 2008-04-27, 13:22   Link #68
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
^ they have cool maneuvers, just like the heart in ep 4 or in the original when Max is intruduced and powned 3 glaug with the fokker's something (don 't remenber the name)
Old 2008-04-27, 15:31   Link #69
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
^ they have cool maneuvers, just like the heart in ep 4 or in the original when Max is intruduced and powned 3 glaug with the fokker's something (don 't remenber the name)
Indeed they have cool maneuvers, but never a signature maneuver. The same move is rarely exercised more than once. In Gundam SEED, you can easily pinpoint one of the signature move being the all-too-infamous 'Rainbow Gun', which is only available to heroes.

For Macross, there are no special weapons only the hero posses. The only special reward heroes will ever get is a custom paint-job on their fighters.

- Tak
Old 2008-04-27, 16:29   Link #70
4Tran

I'd also like to bring up the distinction between a cool maneuver, and a cool pose. There's all sorts of potentially cool-looking moves that are also effective in combat, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with using them (either in animation or in real life). However, there's absolutely no practical reason for making cool poses (they're pretty much just beauty shots), and that's exactly what Alto got called on.
Old 2008-04-27, 16:48   Link #71
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
the only signature pose you se in macross, is the battloid pose with the gunpod at the end of the opening animation

always associated that with macross.
Old 2008-05-12, 14:10   Link #72
4Tran

Distance

I'm a little surprised that Alto isn't getting more love even though he's one of the most interesting male mecha anime leads in a decade.

The only major theme in Frontier that existed in SDF Macross seems to be that of distance. For Alto, the most important relationships are with Sheryl and Ranka; and the amount of distance he has to the two characters started from different points and appears to be moving in different directions.

With Ranka, it started off with a random encounter, but upon meeting up again, they became close enough to exchange phone numbers. In this case, Alto served as her support in a way that Ozma couldn't/wouldn't fulfill. However, this closeness was shortlived as events constantly conspired to interfere with their interaction:

Alto was called away during the Miss Macross Pageant (Ozma's fault).
She called him after the fight with her brother, but Alto was stuck in the locker with Sheryl (mostly Alto's fault).
Alto tried returning her call, but she already killed her phone (mostly Ranka's fault).
She would have spoken to him at the Zentradi mall, but for the presence of Sheryl (mostly Sheryl's fault).

All of this built up distance is brought to a boiling point in episode 6 as Alto rebuffed Ranka in their only conversation since the Nyan-Nyan outing (admittedly that'd only be a couple of days ago). This doesn't mean that Alto is either ignoring Ranka or intentionally trying to deceive her. However, what he did to encourage her is the most telling thing about the way he sees her: he gave her a ticket to the Bye-Bye Sheryl concert. If it were the same Ranka we saw in episode 1, she would have been overjoyed, but she's moved on a great deal, and Alto failed to note the signals. And the main reason for that is that his mind was occupied on a totally different subject...

Alto's relationship to Sheryl is on a diametrically different path. They didn't start off on the best note, but the distance has shrunk between them to the point that they're willing to share their insecurities with one another. Given their personalities, this kind of thing doesn't come easily at all. The best illustration of the difference in approaches is to compare how Alto primped and preened before going to the Miss Macross Pageant to see Ranka, but rushed off immediately after the interview to see Sheryl. This is further emphasized by how neither speaks directly about each other, but they understand the meaning behind the words perfectly. The earring is the cherry that puts everything in perspective: not only did Alto find it for Sheryl as he promised, but he dwelled on it to the exclusion of other matters. Putting it in his cockpit just shows how much he's taken Sheryl's feelings to heart.

What I also find interesting is that there still isn't very much in the way of romance going on. The three characters still relate to each other as people first, and only peripherally as romantic partners. As a slight aside, the distance between Ranka and Sheryl is pretty interesting as well, but that's a topic for a different thread.
Old 2008-05-12, 14:20   Link #73
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

After watching M7 I definitely feel that Alto's attitude toward Ranka is very similar to Basara's feelings toward Mylene.

The annoying little sister you love and want to see happy but in a strictly platonic way.

Most people I think are waiting for either the 1st giant battle or the 1st major relationship argument before really talking about him.
Old 2008-05-12, 14:59   Link #74
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'm a little surprised that Alto isn't getting more love even though he's one of the most interesting male mecha anime leads in a decade.

Totally agree with you here. I think part of the reason is that we truly haven't had a chance to explore the depth of his character in combination with the fact that Ranka and Sheryl tend to dominate the scenes they are in. We'll probably get a better understanding of Alto with the upcoming battles that puts him apart from the girls.
Old 2008-05-12, 15:42   Link #75
4Tran

Alto is fairly interesting in his own right, but it's when he interacts with other characters where he really shines. Macross Frontier is one of those few anime where the most interesting characters are also the leads. Of them, Sheryl is an absolute gem, and Alto is pretty awesome as well. Ranka isn't quite up to their level, but her character has come a long way in episode 5 and 6.
Old 2008-05-12, 15:52   Link #76
Wesley84

I don't particularly like Alto when he interacts with Ranka or Sheryl. He's much more interesting being hazed by the SMS, and the inevitable confrontation with his father will be one for the books.
Old 2008-05-12, 16:33   Link #77
ani_d

Alto's not getting any love compare to Ranka and Sheryl? I wonder if it has anything to do with the ratio of guys and girls here. As for me, I sure like Alto. He's one of those ordinary highschool male characters that I can watch all day. And that says a LOT. ^_^

Honestly, I thought Luca was the main character because he was the first guy who was given screentime (I'm talking about the preview episode 1 here) and we saw Alto getting teased by Michael on the side. I hate that they took that scene out in the official first episode. Anyway, Alto struck me as one of those interesting secondary characters that takes the spotlight away from the main character--kind of like how Kanda is in D.Gray Man. So when I found out he was the main character (coupled with his interesting encounter with Ranka), I became interested. It's all Alto's fault.

Btw, I had nooo idea this mecha show gives a lot of importance to romance until I saw the first OP theme lol
Old 2008-05-12, 16:53   Link #78
cerrian

It's a pity they cut out the scene of Alto and the paper airplane as shown in Deculture. That one scene had essentially set the foundation of Alto's character from which the series would build off of. It showed his passion for flying, the aggravation of living in a dome city, and his fiery temper at being called a "hime". That scene did as much for Alto's character development as did all of eps 1-6 combined.
Old 2008-05-13, 01:47   Link #79
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

Alto's passion for flying reminded me of Isamu Dyson, character-wise he is somewhat more prudent and cool-headed. I like the fact that he isn't your typical clueless male when he is with Sheryl and Ranka. In fact, that's one of the reasons why Sheryl likes Alto, because he acts quite natural with her.
Old 2008-05-13, 09:54   Link #80
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I really hope the relationship with his father gets flesh out more later. Though I really can't see how they would jump back to that since he's part of SMS and even his father probably doesn't have the kind of clout to break a military contractor agreement.
Closed Thread