AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-24, 20:26   Link #1
K9Platnum685
Dark Hadou Master

Send a message via AIM to K9Platnum685
Ever thought of going plain text based?

Would make the forum quicker and just focus on the main part of a forum. The DISCUSSION.
Old 2004-05-24, 21:07   Link #2
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Awww... banned? That's a damn shame....

spoiler for cruelness-
Spoiler:

Funny how someone that wants to go plain text based is using an avatar.

Only good thing that would do is make the loading faster but considering broadband users are growing in numbers at an incredible rate, do we really need to consider the 28.8k modem users?

The emoticons help display a bit of emotion rather easily while avatars and signatures are a nice subtle way to express our selves.

Lastly this one is a no-brainer. We have a nice graphical interface so that it'd be more user friendly(windows over dos).
Old 2004-05-24, 21:22   Link #3
586muntalPK9
Banned

There is a difference between Ban and Temporary 3 day ban -_-`
Old 2004-05-24, 21:26   Link #4
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Why oh Why did you create another user name...this one is just gonna get banned as well...and if the mods aren't in a nice mood they might even increase the ban for your older one...

If they banned you (for whatever reason..for however long) that means that you should stay away until the ban is lifted...

and as for the text based thing...i'm sure there is something out there for this forum..cause i remember browseing through it...but since i didn't care much i never bothered to save the link...or even try and find it...
Old 2004-05-25, 00:15   Link #5
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I think you can go plain text by just disable the avatars and signatures, and you can even disable the [img] tags, so theres your plain text forum, which personally I don't like.
Old 2004-05-25, 00:27   Link #6
7thMethuselah

faster forum, disable sigs and signatures and reduce the number of posts per page, I think that should solve your problem, ne?
Old 2004-05-25, 01:46   Link #7
ato
Oups...

But the idea of a "bare bones" forum view is not so bad actually. If browsing on a handheld (and showing off as a TRUE addict) one wants as condensed a view as possible. The best resolution on one of those I've seen is 640x480. That is not a whole lot of space to display things...

Is there a theme with minimal graphics and maximum contrast (to be honest, I haven't checked )? If not, could it be placed as a feature request to the people producing the board software?

Anyhow, it's an interesting usability problem
Old 2004-05-25, 05:37   Link #8
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ato
But the idea of a "bare bones" forum view is not so bad actually. If browsing on a handheld (and showing off as a TRUE addict) one wants as condensed a view as possible. The best resolution on one of those I've seen is 640x480. That is not a whole lot of space to display things...

Is there a theme with minimal graphics and maximum contrast (to be honest, I haven't checked )? If not, could it be placed as a feature request to the people producing the board software?

Anyhow, it's an interesting usability problem
NOO, ato posted something and it wasn't a Linux/Mozzilla propaganda.

On-Topic: You can set it to text or set it to non text with images and simlies. Where is the problem? How was it called... Freedom of choice?
Old 2004-05-25, 06:21   Link #9
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 586muntalPK9
Smooth there tiger ... they banned you for a reason ... second acount = will get them maddER.

Plain text forum? Are you really that boring?
Old 2004-05-25, 06:46   Link #10
ato
Oups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
On-Topic: You can set it to text or set it to non text with images and simlies. Where is the problem? How was it called... Freedom of choice?
You don't like me, huh? Sorry if I've offended you

Anyways, regardless of if images are displayed or not the layout of the forum is the same (I tried tweaking this time ). For small devices, the width limitation might be a bit of a bother. I'd have to test it before locating specific problem points though.

Sure, this is certainly no pressing issue, I severely doubt many people have a problem with viewing the forum as it is today, but I don't see why all this hostility is directed against a pretty cool idea. Wierd.
Old 2004-05-25, 11:56   Link #11
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ato
Sure, this is certainly no pressing issue, I severely doubt many people have a problem with viewing the forum as it is today, but I don't see why all this hostility is directed against a pretty cool idea. Wierd.
because the idea is allready featured, besides an all text screen gets really really boring fast, somehow i would lose all interest in reading it. It's much more enjoyable reading these things with a few colors and some pics/avatars inbetween
Old 2004-05-25, 12:02   Link #12
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I find the Archive mode useful for text based browsing. Although, as the name suggests, it doesn't allow you to post.
Old 2004-05-25, 12:55   Link #13
ato
Oups...

Much obliged NightWish! The archive mode is pretty much what I was feeling my way towards... Apart for the posting bit, it's really nice and clean. Not to mention lightning fast, hehe. Yummy

7thMethuselah, hmmm, now I see - Of course I did not mean for it to be mandatory, just another skin to select among, should one be so inclined. Besides, there is nothing to say that graphics can't be displayed on small devices, just that one needs to consider how to do the layout nicely.

Now I can go out and buy that Zaurus I was thinking about without fear of being crippled in reading the forum
Old 2004-05-25, 15:51   Link #14
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 586muntalPK9
You're wrong. It's not a 3 day ban. It's a 7 day ban. I suggest you NOT try and sneak pass a ban.
Old 2004-06-03, 18:47   Link #15
K9Platnum685
Dark Hadou Master

Oooh. I turned off iamges and avatars and signatures. Im loving it. But still. All these little .GIF buttons.
Old 2004-06-03, 21:24   Link #16
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Platnum685
Oooh. I turned off iamges and avatars and signatures. Im loving it. But still. All these little .GIF buttons.
oh the horror! that adds like 653 bites per emoticon and 65kb per banner!

just dont browse the "post your desktop thread"
Old 2004-06-04, 19:51   Link #18
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Here's an idea ... don't post here and find a forum that is exponentionally more boring and to your liking?

And why the hell are you in people's profiles if you don't want to see those.

This isn't a text rpg, it's forums primarily for people who have enough bandwith to dl their anime and then discuss it after.
Old 2004-06-04, 19:56   Link #19
K9Platnum685
Dark Hadou Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Here's an idea ... don't post here and find a forum that is exponentionally more boring and to your liking?

And why the hell are you in people's profiles if you don't want to see those.

This isn't a text rpg, it's forums for people who have enough bandwith to dl their anime and then discuss it after.
I don't find this forum boring. I actually just find it better with no images.

I did not go to people's profiles to see those. They just show up right in their post.

I do have enough bandwidth to download anime. But you must have not noticed that I was not being serious in my last post.
Old 2004-06-04, 20:00   Link #20
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

... ohhh I'm sorry ... I didn't notice they come up by people's names ... maybe because the majority of people don't even have them by their name ...

You went through the trouble of posting all those...

1 . why?

2. sarcams not clear

3. I'm not quite sure you were joking.
Closed Thread