AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 36 32.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 34.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 21.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.73%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.91%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.91%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-31, 23:40   Link #41
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I seriously laughed when Rikka and Sanae were playing curling in the pool.

Tooka also dropped a line 'wish I were you' which is quite the hint.

And of course I died when Rikka made the victory sign.
Old 2012-10-31, 23:40   Link #42
Warm Mist

>Can't stand Dekomori

How? She's charming, funny, and likes Lina.
Old 2012-10-31, 23:48   Link #43
_eternal
anthem core

Send a message via AIM to _eternal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Anyway something regarding past theory(?) which contains a portion of ep 5
Spoiler for something I've noticed:
Nice find! That doesn't look like an error to me, and we know that this is a romcom so I'd expect some jealousy to show through.

This is what I love about Kyoani. They make you use your eyes, not just your ears. (Figuratively, because I'm reading subs).
Old 2012-11-01, 00:26   Link #44
The Green One

Rikka's personality mask slipped during this episode and briefly revealed the deeply lonely girl underneath. She very much wants to have Yuuta as a friend *cough*andlatermore*cough* it'd be understandable if she's a little clingy for his attention. She's also clearly got a shy side and is rather awkward with the emotional stuff.
Old 2012-11-01, 00:57   Link #45
U<3Anime
Boo!

Best part for me was when Touka was teaching Yumeha some reality about marriage. Man that kid sure stays up late.
Old 2012-11-01, 02:42   Link #46
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Rikka, where is Tomo-chan in the list of people who realized your existance?

With that out of the way, the later half is certainly a shift in the story. The first half is all comedy. All five main characters carry that out well as we come to expect. The second half, though, is all about Yuuta and Rikka. I particular like how they gradually shifting the atmosphere from the comedy first half to the romantic second half. I think it went very smoothly. For me, Yuuta and Rikka being paired up is not a question of if but how. I certainly look forward to seeing how this will develop.

Also, I accidentally spoiled myself of the last scene, but that doesn't make it any less hnggg-worthy.
Old 2012-11-01, 02:45   Link #47
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Once the viewer recovers from excess unstable angina from watching this episode, I think it becomes rather apparent that while the previous episode hints how Rikka likes being who she is and what she wants to do, there's a really that hint of sadness and loneliness behind that eye patch. For everything she believes herself and those around her to be, the episode makes me think that she is indeed probably aware that her persona/personality does indeed alienate her from people who think her 8th Grader Syndrome is immature and don't want to associate with her.

The second half illustrates a certain "slowness" to her usual genki self. It's not a radical shift, but it's like her syndrome/delusions crack under the weight of more immediate real world problems. Perhaps in a way she does understand that her Witch Eye, for what it's worth, can't solve her problem and she has to deal with it the same way more... uh... normal people. Well she tried, but had to resign to the fact that she has to study like a regular person. The second half barely has any of her delusions, it's just a girl who's struggling with her grades and her loneliness. It's as if she forgot about her witches eye for the most part and became a regular girl.

So I have to ask: Contrary to the assumption that she's completely convinced of her persona, does she in fact have some self awareness that she's not entirely who she thinks she is? Does she have some small knowledge that she's trying to live a magical fantasy life but in the back of her mind is aware of what reality is and isn't?
Old 2012-11-01, 03:22   Link #48
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It's interesting to note that Rikka does not mention her parents among the people that "acknowledge her existence".

While this could be a hint that they are dead, it's also possible that Rikka simply doesn't have a good relationship with them, which might be caused by the divorce that is hinted by Touka.

Touka saying that she is envious of Yuuta suggests that there might be a barrier between the two sisters.

I also found interesting when Rikka hits Yuuta with the broom in the pool scene. "My hand slipped" was obviously an excuse.
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong in what Yuuta had just said right before, so I can only conclude that she didn't like that he was talking with Shinka.
I can't think of anything else, but it's strange, he wasn't really doing anything that he didn't do before a lot of times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
So I have to ask: Contrary to the assumption that she's completely convinced of her persona, does she in fact have some self awareness that she's not entirely who she thinks she is? Does she have some small knowledge that she's trying to live a magical fantasy life but in the back of her mind is aware of what reality is and isn't?
Personally I always thought from the very first episode that she isn't really delusional. I think there's enough hints of that.

Old 2012-11-01, 03:37   Link #49
Warm Mist

I am really curious about what they will do with the parents issue. It seems like it will play a major role in any plot or drama that appears on the show.

Handled well, it could potentially turn this show into something much greater than what it seemed to be from the first episodes.
Old 2012-11-01, 03:41   Link #50
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _eternal View Post
Nice find! That doesn't look like an error to me, and we know that this is a romcom so I'd expect some jealousy to show through.

This is what I love about Kyoani. They make you use your eyes, not just your ears. (Figuratively, because I'm reading subs).
I'm also leaning towards not animation error. We only need another not so subtle hint like this in ep 6 for it to be somewhat confirmed.

Quote:
I guess one could say that she's done it for quite a long time that it's already staple for her. It already became a habit. For me, it's quite clear she knows the reality it's just that she just wants to keep doing it out of enjoyment.

For me I'd look at it in the same line as someone who's addicted to something. Besides maybe finding it fun it all comes down to one thing why you avert or ignore the reality of the situation. It's because you are distracted.

Anyway rewatched this episode and still had a lot of hilarious parts. Not over the top hilarious as the past episode but I can understand that since they already given us a start for development. As much as this didn't feel so climactic like Hyouka ep 21, Hiroko Utsumi still did a good job. The storyboard was very good. Not to mention the AD did also a good job keeping the animation expressive.

Also I can't help but find that part with Touka and Yumeha quite foreshadowing.

Oh well... Looking forward to the next ep.
Old 2012-11-01, 03:42   Link #51
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Not as good as the last episode, but still great. If this level of drama is as far as the show is going to go, I'll be perfectly fine with it.
Quote:
No one in this show actually believes that they're magical fantasy characters. That would be dumb. They buy into the idea (to the point where they identify themselves by it) because they think they look cool that way (or as we've already seen, because it helps them deal with more troubling aspects of reality), but it's not like they're literally schizophrenic. It's something a lot of teenagers go through: take, for example, the goth subculture and claiming to be demons or vampires or what have you.
Old 2012-11-01, 03:43   Link #52
Excorsism

Quote:
Originally Posted by _eternal View Post

After watching most of KyoAni's more recent stuff, I've come to realize that they're very on point with their facial expressions, and it was really apparent in Hyouka. I think it's safe to say that all the facial expressions seen are intentional. My favorite thing about KyoAni, aside from the gorgeous animation and character designs, would be the extra care they give to the small details.
Old 2012-11-01, 03:50   Link #53
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Not as good as the last episode, but still great. If this level of drama is as far as the show is going to go, I'm perfectly fine with that.

No one in this show actually believes that they're magical fantasy characters. That would be dumb. They buy into the idea (to the point where they identify themselves by it) because they think they look cool that way (or as we've already seen, because it helps them deal with more troubling aspects of reality), but it's not like they're literally schizophrenic. It's something a lot of teenagers go through: take, for example, the goth subculture and claiming to be demons or vampires or what have you.
Well in Psychiatry there's a distinction between what is a Delusion and what is an Overvalued Idea. A true delusion would mean that you cannot truly shake the person's belief system, and I think that the episode shows Rikka's beliefs can be shaken when reality becomes too much for her fantasies to compensate for. In that sense it wouldn't be a true delusion anymore, and shows some underlying problem as to why she has become as such.

Of course I'm not a psychiatrist by training, and a delusion is sometimes hard to really diagnose and distinguish from overvalued beliefs and ideas.
Old 2012-11-01, 03:55   Link #54
rulfo

Dunno if it's the right place to post it but...

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Lite ep out
Old 2012-11-01, 03:58   Link #55
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Goddammit, my heart can't take how cute this series is.
Old 2012-11-01, 04:10   Link #56
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Well in Psychiatry there's a distinction between what is a Delusion and what is an Overvalued Idea. A true delusion would mean that you cannot truly shake the person's belief system, and I think that the episode shows Rikka's beliefs can be shaken when reality becomes too much for her fantasies to compensate for.
It isn't even a belief, Meo. Rikka doesn't believe those things are true not even for a second. She just likes to pretend they are, but she's very quick at dropping her role-play if she's pushed into a corner or if she has other priorities.

Old 2012-11-01, 05:00   Link #57
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
It isn't even a belief, Meo. Rikka doesn't believe those things are true not even for a second. She just likes to pretend they are, but she's very quick at dropping her role-play if she's pushed into a corner or if she has other priorities.
Then clinically it's not even a delusion. It's at most an overvalued idea, probably not even. It then it becomes an issue of of personal preference and lifestyle. She chooses to live her life like this even if it alienates her from most other people. It's a matter of choice rather than a reaction.

So calling it a delusion is a misnomer.
Old 2012-11-01, 05:19   Link #58
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Didn't even notice this while I was watching the first time...

Images
Curling

Also, so Freudian:

Images
NibutanixDekomori end confirmed?
       /
      / \|
    /

Last edited by winhlp32; 2012-11-01 at 05:31.
Old 2012-11-01, 05:32   Link #59
starlol

Yuuta is like the guardian of Rikka xD
Surprise that Dekomori is smart. I like her even more now

Nibutani is also the top student entering the school if I didn't remember wrongly.
If the average is 50 and Yuuta got 62, I suppose he is also not bad.
Basically their club is filled with smart people.

This week I'm somewhat irritated by what Nibutani did to senpai.

I'm fine with the show being more like romance comedy than the chu2byou part.
I suppose that this episode is meant for developing Rikka's character thus the somewhat significant reduction of chu2byou scenes.
Old 2012-11-01, 06:22   Link #60
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Don't know how KyoAni keeps making characters that you just want to glomp, but they somehow pull it off. It's been a while since I've laughed so hard continuously at a series too; last time I had this much fun was with Nichijou. Oh look, KyoAni did that too. :3