Notices

Old 2022-04-16, 13:37   Link #61
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
So it’s like Mr and Mrs Smith
But anime style!

This is seriously becoming the best show this season for me. Hope they can continue being this action packed
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-16, 13:52   Link #62
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

It is not always action-packed. Some chapters switch to SoL comedy.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-16, 14:05   Link #63
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
So it’s like Mr and Mrs Smith
This anime took inspiration from a lot of spy movies & shows tbh. Me and some others already talked about some M:I moves that the show pulled before. Some also compared this to Get Smart.
Old 2022-04-16, 14:32   Link #64
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel View Post
I find Yor to be a tad too gullible, and her personality is really muted compared to Loid and Anya. I hope it's merely temporary.
Its not really about being gullible she just has no real concept of "normal" after being an assassin her whole life.

I really like the vaguely '60s cold war style.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-16, 14:40   Link #65
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Me too.

This whole aesthetic is extremely rare in anime/manga.

The closest series are like BLACK CAT, Cat's Eye, and NANA (Hachi's retro furniture/fashion tastes).
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-16, 15:52   Link #66
Random14

I love how things have gotten even more absurd, starting with a telepathic daughter and now an assassin fake wife. Still great animation all around too. Openings not my favorite but it is very stylish (and they even incorporated the first title page of the manga).

Franky's funny, especially being stuck as Twilight's helper (and he's not even part of Twilight's understaffed organization which lost people recently, but a few art pieces will help). Anya's telepathy is so useful for smoothing over misunderstandings (though most of this still flies over her head, but that's part of what makes her so adorable).

Even aside from the always great Saori Hayami, Yor's such a character, deadly but also pretty out there, which works out for Twilight, able to pass off all the suspicious stuff as part of his psychiatry work. Looks like he really is impressed by her, and oh that moment with the grenade and the "ring", so crazy and sweet.

So Loid has a family now, at least that's one part of preparations done. Though he's still got a lot to handle, especially with how... eccentric both Yor and Anya are.

Last edited by Random14; 2022-04-16 at 16:11.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-16, 17:44   Link #67
bakato

Quote:
Its not really about being gullible she just has no real concept of "normal" after being an assassin her whole life.

There's no internet so all the espionage and assassination is a lot more personal.
Old 2022-04-16, 18:34   Link #68
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

They really upgraded Yor's design for the anime. Her boobs are so much bigger. And she isn't just gullible, she's canonically dumb. It's the only way for this story to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
It is not always action-packed. Some chapters switch to SoL comedy.
It's 80% slice of life/comedy, and 20% action.
Old 2022-04-16, 20:24   Link #69
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
They really upgraded Yor's design for the anime. Her boobs are so much bigger. And she isn't just gullible, she's canonically dumb. It's the only way for this story to work.
Hachiman and Yukino reincarnated in a cold war era spy family comedy and Yukino got a bust upgrade .
Quote:
I think the Opening captures that very well .
Old 2022-04-16, 20:52   Link #70
Wandering Soul

So now our family consists of a spy, an assassin, and an esper who with the exception of the esper don't know each other identities. Take into account everyone's eccentric personalities and no wonder the manga was a hit.
Old 2022-04-16, 21:07   Link #71
grecefar

So yor truly believes all that crap that loid said when they were getting chase?.

I loved anya reaction of yor being an assasin and wanted for them to pair for her own entertainment, I would do the same to be honest lol.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-17, 00:40   Link #72
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel View Post
All psychiatrists are trained in grenade handling...

Fun episode, but a step down from the first one Imo. I find Yor to be a tad too gullible, and her personality is really muted compared to Loid and Anya. I hope it's merely temporary.
Rather than being gullible, it's more that she doesn't understand what "normal" is because of her background. It's the same for Loid, there are tonnes of odd things about Yor does that he doesn't notice.

I think it's hilarious and I assume that it's going to be a big part of the humour going forward.

It's the same thing Anya. The only reason things are working out is that she can read minds. So she purposely ignores any weirdness and goes along with what Loid wants rather than what he says.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-17, 01:13   Link #73
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Some also compared this to Get Smart.
Lower the Cone of Silence! I'm old enough to remember Get Smart in its first run. Loid is too competent to be Maxwell Smart.

I love the bit where Yor is suspected of being a spy because she's single. Is that a dig at the Japanese government's attempts to boost the birthrate?
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-17, 01:57   Link #74
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Hachiman and Yukino reincarnated in a cold war era spy family comedy and Yukino got a bust upgrade .
I don't think this comparison work on any level.
Old 2022-04-17, 06:24   Link #75
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Lower the Cone of Silence! I'm old enough to remember Get Smart in its first run. Loid is too competent to be Maxwell Smart.
I grew up watching that show too!

As for Spy x Family it is being handled very well. Great blend of action and humor! And the little girl's attitude is awesome! (Sorry her name escapes me at the moment)
Old 2022-04-17, 07:48   Link #76
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I don't think this comparison work on any level.
Yeah, they don't seem similar at all.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-17, 08:06   Link #77
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Yor had a pretty big bust in manga, it was just not obvious because of her clothing most of the time.

And I would say action parts are more prominient when you said. It is just that a lot of action scenes are comedic ones like the upcoming school entrance "test".
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-17, 08:49   Link #78
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Ehh... he's similar to Yor in that he might be really good at his job but he's kind of an idiot when it comes to life in general.

The Oregairu comparison are because its the same seiyuu... though aside from the ending I barely remember Hachi and Yukino really interacting. I guess they were gloomy and emo together fairly often?

Speaking of seiyuu Anya's is probably lesser known but if you're familiar with her eroge career her comedy chops are S class. I have no doubt she's going to carry the show.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-17, 09:46   Link #79
ryllharu

Quote:
Speaking of seiyuu Anya's is probably lesser known but if you're familiar with her eroge career her comedy chops are S class. I have no doubt she's going to carry the show.
Wow.

I always thought she had absolutely incredible range, bordering on legendary sometimes. I'm pretty good at recognizing most VAs, but she doesn't even remotely sound like the same actress in a ton of her roles. She's often unrecognizable even in her roles that have similar tone ranges. There's quite a few games (ero or otherwise) that cast her into multiple roles because of that.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-17, 10:30   Link #80
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Rather than being gullible, it's more that she doesn't understand what "normal" is because of her background. It's the same for Loid, there are tonnes of odd things about Yor does that he doesn't notice.
Like how this woman was able to sneak up on him (in heels), how she noticed he was observing her, and how she's so capable and efficient even in high heels...maybe he just has a high opinion of self defense classes .
Quote:
I love the bit where Yor is suspected of being a spy because she's single. Is that a dig at the Japanese government's attempts to boost the birthrate?
I don't think it's a dig at Japan so much as relevant to the setting as far as how unmarried women were seen.
Quote:
I knew she had great comedy chops when I first heard her in Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (her first major role) .

Tags
action, bondman, comedy, espionage, james bond, secret agency