AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 307 57.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 139 25.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 3.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 1.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 1.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.19%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 1.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-10, 18:05   Link #21
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
completely forgot to give my finale thoughts ill keep it short. One of the freshest, Original, and fun series iv seen in a long time. There was really not a character that i didnt enjoy even the non names from Dai Gurren Brigade. Its been a while since the deaths of characters have actually made depressed or tear up and thats what i love about the Gurren Lagann. Kamina and later Kittans deaths were impacted a lot of viewers as well characters. The music, scenes and the mech designs were all crazy cool. Over all i gave it a 9 i doubt we will see another anime in this genre as good for a while. Brief but too the point.

Simon is the GAR god at least for right now
Old 2007-10-11, 01:29   Link #22
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Too much yelling, no tactics, no strategy. Too much over 9000 fight scenes. Brainless frontal assaults.Too kiddy. Predictable ending and not enough casualties.
Old 2007-10-11, 03:40   Link #23
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Send a message via MSN to Dave1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Too much yelling, no tactics, no strategy. Too much over 9000 fight scenes. Brainless frontal assaults.Too kiddy. Predictable ending and not enough casualties.
Welcome to Super Robot shows. Enjoy your stay.
Old 2007-10-11, 08:26   Link #24
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Avoid Gunbuster or any Go Nagai classic work like the plague.
Old 2007-10-11, 11:45   Link #25
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
I understand everything except the not enough casualties. Half the cast died practically.
Old 2007-10-11, 17:21   Link #26
ElementSun

Sure the battles themselves don't have any limit from the laws of physics, but it was an enjoyable series nonetheless that sent goosebumps down my spine. I'm at least glad that the fights themselves didn't take more than 1 episode to depict.
Old 2007-10-11, 18:09   Link #27
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Too much yelling,
you can never have too much...
Quote:
no tactics,
who needs tactics when you have hotblood on your side?
Quote:
no strategy.
same as above
Quote:
Too much over 9000 fight scenes.
"WHO THE FC*K DO YOU THINK WE ARE!!!"
Quote:
Brainless frontal assaults.
"ohhh kamikazi!! thats what i call cool!!"
Quote:
Too kiddy.
*cries in a corner*
Quote:
Predictable ending
i agree (especially with nia's death)
Quote:
and not enough casualties.
so did kamina die for nothing? *manly tears*

probably one of the best mech series i have seen (which isnt much )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-10-11, 18:25   Link #28
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Half the cast died practically.
I recall him wanting an Ideon-style ending, which wouldn't have been too bad IMO. Ending being predictable is the only point that raises my eyebrows - the Japanese were dumbfounded when Nia died, most of them said to themselves, "there's NO WAY IN HECK Gainax would kill off Nia". Suddenly...
Old 2007-10-14, 03:06   Link #29
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I think this may be my new all time favourite anime. I didn't think anything could take the cake, but no other series I've ever seen is on this level of direction. I can't think of anything wrong with this series from the beginning to the end, so I'm giving it my first ever Perfect 10. I actually cryed several times during the final few episodes. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a masterful piece of art, and I'd recommend it to almost anybody on almost any level of approach, be it the uppermost layer of action or the deep symbolism inherent in almost ever sequence of the series. This is the bar being set, can it be topped within the decade. We shall see.
Old 2007-10-15, 06:32   Link #30
DieH@rd

Lets keep this short. I give this show 10/10
Old 2007-10-15, 09:31   Link #31
swerv
Stay Up

I'd give it 9/10, I really enjoyed the feeling of an 'epic' story the timeskip gave. Dropped a point because the shouting included with every move and power up became annoying :P
Old 2007-10-15, 15:49   Link #32
Shin_Grendizer
Duke_Fleed

hi

this is my first post i hop u enjoy it

1/General impression of the series.:

i was impressed of the searies and it was best mecha anime this year after Jeeg

2/Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices:

the story was perfect and there was no cnofuse and every episod has its unique event and i was surprised

3/Thoughts about the animation quality:

on scale 1 to 10 i give it 10

4/Characters/Character Design:

the design was pro and i think it is right to get that all attintion

5/What the show meant to you:

it meant to me alot espicaly in episod 8 when Kamena died it was a shock for me and i thoght that he is the main hero

6/ the sound track and the opinning & ending :

i liked the OST and it was perfect espicaly the one with WOWO FIGHT THE POWER
the tilte of this sound is " Libera Me Fromd Hell "
the opinning is good but i did not see the ending theme so i dont know how to rate it

that is all i hope u like it
Old 2007-10-15, 19:37   Link #33
Cal-Reflector

A modern classic that will go down as a recap of all those best elements represented by Japanese anime.

To be sure, there is no perfect show, and Gurren-Lagaan is no exception, one of which is the handling of certain core relationships and the ceaseless escalation in the size of events and sacrifices and emotions. But all that is debatable, and I don't even know if I should rightly mark it as a negative.

This show gets an A+ for me. It's the only tv series anime which I've given an A+ to, for now. I'll wait a bit until I've had enough time to digest the emotional high and revaluate the show more critically, but for now, this show gets the highest mark from me.

For reference sake. Where I place some other shows from my list:

2. Hachimitsu to Kuroba (Honey and Clover; Hachikuro; Season I): A
3. Monster: A
4. Fruits Basket: A
5. Full Metal Alchemist: A
6. Cowboy Bebop: A
7. Mushishi: A-/A
16. Wolf’s Rain: B+/A-
17. Gankutsuou (The Count of Monte Cristo): B+/A-
24. ROD TV: B/B+
25. Noein: B/B+
30. Evangelion: B
31. Kamichu: B (DVD version)
38. Trinity Blood: B-/B
39. Scryed: B-/B
Old 2007-10-15, 21:01   Link #34
raylottery

I gave the show 9.5 out of 10.

I loved the show and it was quite special.
However, that last arc was kinda weird.

Other than that everything was perfect.
Nice Generall Impression
Nice Animation
Very nice plot points ( not as straightfoward )
and i definatly agree i loved "WOWO FIGHT THE POWER"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin_Grendizer View Post
WOWO FIGHT THE POWER
Nice show. Definately not gonna forget this one
Old 2007-10-16, 18:43   Link #35
Deathwing
what do i know

it was ok kinda wished for something a little deeper

also i wish they didn't tell you what was going to happen in the 1st episode so a good amount of the lead up episodes were predictable (Kamena's death was very predictable thus making it less impacting)

besides that a pretty enjoyable anime
Old 2007-10-19, 17:58   Link #36
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Woah, I just downloaded the whole series, and finished this in 2 days. All I can say is: Wow. This anime was excellent, despite my impressions before watching (A mecha anime with face robots and drills? That sounds retarded!!!) The animation quality was really nice, apart from ep 4. The story was the best that I've seen so far in my small but rapidly expanding experiences of animes.
Old 2007-10-20, 01:01   Link #37
l4zy

I was disappointed and sadden by the time Simon decided to marry Nia instead of hooking up with Yoko. Hell, even more so then Kamina's death. Then everything after that was "meh" (except for the final fight) for me at least. I rate the overall show a 7 and ending/epilogue a 5.
Old 2007-10-20, 01:05   Link #38
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
This was one of those few series that made me keep going until I got to the last episode and was like, "NOOOOO!!" Definitely the best mecha/robot anime I've ever seen. The entire series has this outlandish style that so adventurous and beautiful. There is no emo here (well maybe Rossiu, but he's not your emo tough guy that you see in so much anime these days), and while most of the characters are cookie-cutter, they still have personalities that you just love.

Character-wise my favorites have to be Kamina, Yoko, and Kittan. I would of liked Nia better if she didn't have the Belldandy syndrome going on, and if she had a little bit more depth. Yoko on the otherhand is extremely cookie-cutter badass babe with a gun, but the teacher side of her threw me for a loop and allowed me to respect her for more then just her looks and shooting skills. Kamina was just style personified, and that shows since so many people love him despite only being in 8 (9 if you count 27) episodes. Kittan wins for best sacrifical death EVER.
Old 2007-10-20, 21:08   Link #39
lightbringer
M9000

As far as mecha/super robot/whatever shows go, I enjoyed this quite a bit.

The show was ridiculously over-the-top from the start, but towards the end it was just ridiculous, juggling universes around and other such misplaced antics. I feel that the show took a major dive sometime shortly after the AS started invading (I guess this is what we call a train wreck ).

Killing off Kamina early was, of course, a necessary move since Simon is the protagonist, but it also established a sense of "people will die here" - and they did not limit the killing to side-characters only, which is commendable.

Enough has been said about the epilogue already, but I didn't like it either (nor the resigned, bittersweet ending itself). My major regret is that we did not get to see more of the transformed Boota (well, and that Nia was killed off).

The soundtrack was above average, although I did not find it too special. El Cazador had (imho) the strongest soundtrack this season; GL only had a catchy OP and one or two decent insert songs ('fight the power', etc).
Old 2007-10-21, 00:12   Link #40
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

This show delivered on a weekly basis like NONE OTHER.

It's going to be a classic in due time.

10/10.
Closed Thread