Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-01-01, 22:22   Link #1
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
media players that can use DXVA with Intel 4500MHD?

I know MPC-HC can't, which saddens me as I love MPC-HC, but this isn't for me, it's for a friend who wants to pick up an Acer Aspire 1410 (the $399 Celeron SU2300 version) and she wants to be able to watch HD fansubs.

Are there any that can do DXVA with the 4500MHD? That isn't Cyberlink?
Old 2010-01-02, 00:04   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about spending another $50 and buying the Acer AS4530-6823 unless it's too big for her? This machine has an NVIDIA 9100 which supports h.264 decoding in the graphics hardware with players that support CUDA or VDPAU.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 00:31   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

She's pretty adamant that it can't be much larger than a netbook, and price is also a big concern because she's basically living on grants and financial aid while she's in college. Money is scarce.

I told her she might have better luck with an HP Mini 311, which has ION (nv 9400M), but she doesn't like HP and doesn't want something with an Atom. 13.3" screen size maximum; I also suggested the Asus UL30Vt (has nv G 210M), but she balked heavily at the $800+ asking price.
Old 2010-01-02, 00:50   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

You can try running the DXVA checker, but I doubt anything will come up. Also, Intel GMA X4500MHD does not have any bitstream processors which MPC needs... so you pretty much out of luck...

Intel GMA 4500 besides from business laptops (since they don't need to watch HD videos or do anything advance for basic office work) is pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to consumer graphics cards. Perhaps the Intel GMA is the worst IGP ever since most consumers would play H264 videos, play 3d games, and play Bluray discs, things that the Intel GMA can't handle well...
Old 2010-01-02, 10:11   Link #5
TCman

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I know MPC-HC can't, which saddens me as I love MPC-HC, but this isn't for me, it's for a friend who wants to pick up an Acer Aspire 1410 (the $399 Celeron SU2300 version) and she wants to be able to watch HD fansubs.

Are there any that can do DXVA with the 4500MHD? That isn't Cyberlink?
Hi,

Yes, you can use MPC-HC + DXVA with the 4500MHD with small changes in the Windows registry by using "regedit"; an extra requirement is that you need Windows Vista or 7 for playing back H.264 videos using the 4500MHD with DXVA acceleration.

Just follow this guide carefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunnally.ahmygoddess.net
Close MPC-HC. For users who are using this Intel GPU, open up your registry editor (regedit) with administrative privileges, and add-up the modification below:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gabest\Filters\MPC Video Decoder
- Key name : CompatibilityMode
- type : DWORD
- value : 16 (Hex value)

This will allow G45 owners to play H.264 videos that do not conform to DXVA standards. It will not be always successful, but I estimate that at least 90% of those out-of-spec H.264 videos should be playable with G45 GPU + the registry modification above. The Quantum of Solace trailer, AIR OP theme and Planet Earth sample should work though, at least with my own tests with an Acer laptop with G45 GPU + Windows Vista OS.
Warning: messing with your registry can cause your system to be unbootable. This step is always optional. Back-up your registry before attempting this modification. Make a system restore point too just to be safe.
(source: http://nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watc...os-using-dxva/).

Hope this can help you out a bit,

and happy new year!
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 13:59   Link #6
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I read that also but I was confused as to how that would make it work in MPC-HC since MPC only supports DXVA in bitstream mode and Intel IGPs do not have bitstream processors...

Since I don't have anything with a 4500MHD to test this on, I don't want to recommend this to her without knowing it works. =/

As for myself, I'll be getting a laptop with a GT 230M so I'm not terribly worried about that. (Besides Core 2 Duo T6600 should be able to handle 720p fansubs without issue).

I'm trying to push her to get something with an nvidia or ati IGP, like the 9400M/ION, but she's all price, price, price, cannot go over $500, has to be dual-core not Atom, and has to be 13" or smaller.

afaik the baseline AMD IGP, the Mobility Radeon HD3200, cannot do DXVA. Is this true? I know this chip comes in a lot of the Athlon/Turion Neo X2 ultraportables... something to think about since she doesn't necessarily need CULV-grade battery life, she just needs it to be small and easy to tote.
Old 2010-01-02, 15:24   Link #7
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I'm not sure, but even though the Celeron SU2300 probably isn't the fastest mobile CPU available, it should be considerable faster than an Atom, right?

The thing is with CoreAVC I was able to play some 720p subs on my Atom based netbook (without hardware accelerated h264 decoding). Arguably it had trouble with most of them, but it wasn't entirely impossible. The SU2300 has a PassMark score several times that of the Atom N270 from my netbook.

So I think even without hardware acceleration playing HD fansubs on CPU only may be possible. Just skip the 1080p stuff and stick to 720p encodes only.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 17:27   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'm thinking the same thing but I don't have the ability to test it, since I don't have an Aspire 1410.

And yeah, Celeron SU2300 should be about 3ish x faster than an Atom N270 in multithreaded applications.
Old 2010-01-26, 21:58   Link #9
jirom

You can use MPC-HC for DXVA with that GPU. I have the same netbook. You don't need to do any kind of registry tweaks either. You just need to change some settings in MPC-HC.
jirom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 23:32   Link #10
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jirom View Post
You can use MPC-HC for DXVA with that GPU. I have the same netbook. You don't need to do any kind of registry tweaks either. You just need to change some settings in MPC-HC.
Which settings? AFAIK, according to the MPC-HC page on sourceforge, MPC-HC only supports DXVA hardware decoding in bitstream mode.

This should preclude the use of the Intel GMA 4500MHD as it does not have bitstream processors.
Old 2010-01-28, 09:38   Link #11
namaiki

I have a laptop with the 4500MHD, and it does support DXVA from MPC-HC's internal decoders.. beats me how, but it does.

Under Ctrl + J in MPC, it says DXVA2: H.264 bitstream decoder, ClearVideo(tm)

Also, if the computer with the 4500MHD comes with Windows 7, use the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder for DXVA instead of MPC-HC's internal DXVA filter as MPC's internal DXVA filter does not appear to support deblocking with the 4500MHD, which will show artifacts in video.

My DXVA guide/reminder to self: http://www.cccp-project.net/forums/i...29294#msg29294
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 04:51   Link #12
MukiEX

MPC can't? I've been watching hi-def vids in h.264 just fine for ages. Now, I haven't tested it in XP, but in Vista and 7, I can at least bring up the issues I had:

Try EVR first if it doesn't work. If EVR works, you might need to download DX9 or some such to get "EVR Custom" working.

In addition, as bass-ackwards as this sounds, download the 32-bit version of MPC-HC if you're running 64-bit Windows. For some odd reason it's more likely to work with DXVA than the 64-bit version.

In addition, check multiple files, possibly run them through MediaInfo. I don't personally own the notebook I got MPC-HC/DXVA working on, so I haven't run it through the gamut. You might wanna look for a vid in 720p at HP 4.1 or lower to make sure it's not something that could exceed the Intel chip's capabilities.

Also, I've never had to make any changes to the registry.
MukiEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 04:59   Link #13
namaiki

The registry changes will allow the 4500MHD to attempt to process videos that it does not officially support.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote