AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-02, 22:09   Link #2021
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
The radio today was mentioning that California is actually getting bluer due to all the minorities registering.
Registered Republicans are down to 30% in CA and continuing to go down while independents are at 22% and growing. California is pretty much lost to Republicans for the foreseeable future, because even if the voter base hates the democrats in office they'd vote an independent over a Republican any day.
Old 2012-11-02, 23:05   Link #2022
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Why can't these congressmen be tried for treason or terrorism for purposely destroying the country's economy to further their own agendas?
If it was the democrats doing this, the GOP would push for that. It is the GOP doing this instead, and the democrats aren't pushing for this because they actually care about the nation*. They know it'd rip the country in two; maybe start a civil war.

*I'm not even sure the GOP, collectively, cares about the nation and it's people anymore, with the way they put the recovery and well being of the nation under the boots of their agendas.
Old 2012-11-02, 23:13   Link #2023
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Oh, just imagine how things would be like:

hohoho... gloves are off I see. Well, here is some Chuck Norris back at-cha..

You asked for it.
Old 2012-11-02, 23:17   Link #2024
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
hohoho... gloves are off I see. Well, here is some Chuck Norris back at-cha..

You asked for it.
tbh, I think that chuck norris vid is so over the top it hurts the GOP's cause instead of helping it.
Old 2012-11-02, 23:21   Link #2025
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
tbh, I think that chuck norris vid is so over the top it hurts the GOP's cause instead of helping it.
Not if you are in Texas. Couple of months ago certain District judge in Texas made news when he asked for additional deputy to prepare for potential civil war if Obama is reelected!
Old 2012-11-02, 23:28   Link #2026
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Not if you are in Texas. Couple of months ago certain District judge in Texas made news when he asked for additional deputy to prepare for potential civil war if Obama is reelected!
I'm seriously worried about something like that. I'm worried of at least riots and thousands upon thousands flocking to Washington to protest if Obama is re-elected. A lot of these anti-Obama people will just fly off the handle if Obama is re-elected, and I'll be mad at them, because most of them are racists so that is a big reason why they are so anti-Obama, and I'll be mad at the GOP, because they stoked the fires, big time, and decided to play this 'game' where they stoked and created anti-Obama sentiments over the last four years.

A good amount of GOP supporters are violent or violent minded. I've heard of some of them saying things like "We should overrun the liberals and take back our country by force". If Obama is re-elected, I'm afraid of some anti-Obama people doing acts of violence to any liberals or democrats they know or find out about.
Old 2012-11-03, 01:29   Link #2027
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I'm seriously worried about something like that. I'm worried of at least riots and thousands upon thousands flocking to Washington to protest if Obama is re-elected. A lot of these anti-Obama people will just fly off the handle if Obama is re-elected, and I'll be mad at them, because most of them are racists so that is a big reason why they are so anti-Obama, and I'll be mad at the GOP, because they stoked the fires, big time, and decided to play this 'game' where they stoked and created anti-Obama sentiments over the last four years.

A good amount of GOP supporters are violent or violent minded. I've heard of some of them saying things like "We should overrun the liberals and take back our country by force". If Obama is re-elected, I'm afraid of some anti-Obama people doing acts of violence to any liberals or democrats they know or find out about.
Well, you won't like what I've to say here.... If I try to rationalize your fear, they are based on bias too! Just re-read your post above and your sentiment pretty much follows the same line of reasoning why some people like to buy into fear mongering. Seriously speaking, the same sentiment rises every election cycle where one side portrays the other as the one who will bring down the biblical plague when elected. When Bush was running for his second term, everyone was convinced a huge riot would break out if he became the president. So was Clinton's 2nd term and going back in history, so was Reagan and etc. The thing is this country is one of the most stable nation because it has been able to deal with calamity far, far worse and still able to retain sanity. Most people above such reasoning. As one of my friend (a Tea Party supporter ) said, that's just Texas.
Old 2012-11-03, 01:38   Link #2028
Lost Cause

Nicely put monir, and I've heard the same thing only opposite if Romney gets elected!
They'll do any thing to sway your vote these days even veiled threats.

Last edited by Lost Cause; 2012-11-03 at 10:56.
Old 2012-11-03, 02:16   Link #2029
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We're seeing the full brunt of what the Citizens United ruling promises ... the airwaves in my region are being buried (10-20 commercials an hour) under adverts playing so fast and loose with the facts that they'd be laughable - except they're a barrage of fear and anxiety. There's two PACs involved, one is the Karl Rove PAC.

First they throw a bunch of assertions at the viewer that a couple of seconds with Google would contradict, then it ends with "Demand Better". Romney is never mentioned nor the GOP. The idea seems to be there's a better to be had <rofl>.

These commercials run from 6pm past midnight at least -- its an amazing example of the Big Lie fired like a strobe light cannon. Its really bizarre because I live in a firmly blue state ... yet they're burning buckets of money to create a reality distortion field in it.

http://www.savejobs.org/home.php (<- front organization for the ads, USCoC probable intermediary)
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...r_Job_Security
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/2...es-babies-cry/

AJS -- a 501(c)6 group that does not disclose its donors.

This is what gets me ... the GOP went freaking nuts over Gore possibly having accepted some money from foreign Buddhist monks back in 2000. But there's no traceability at all for the funds under these "non-profits".

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-11-03 at 02:28.
Old 2012-11-03, 02:31   Link #2030
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Well, you won't like what I've to say here.... If I try to rationalize your fear, they are based on bias too! Just re-read your post above and your sentiment pretty much follows the same line of reasoning why some people like to buy into fear mongering. Seriously speaking, the same sentiment rises every election cycle where one side portrays the other as the one who will bring down the biblical plague when elected. When Bush was running for his second term, everyone was convinced a huge riot would break out if he became the president. So was Clinton's 2nd term and going back in history, so was Reagan and etc. The thing is this country is one of the most stable nation because it has been able to deal with calamity far, far worse and still able to retain sanity. Most people above such reasoning. As one of my friend (a Tea Party supporter ) said, that's just Texas.

If Romney gets elected, we could see things like people protesting in Washington. I just suspect it more if Obama gets elected because the real extreme anti-Obama people seem like they are more likely to act on their feelings of protest. And also, with the extreme anti-Obama people, they are running on high emotions fueled by racism. To be someone who is extremely anti-Obama, you figure they gotta be racist for most of them. I mean, when Obama first got elected, look at how people reacted. The Tea Party formed. Why? Why did they have such a strong reaction to Obama being elected? A significant amount of that reaction was based in racism. And look at how some people will never give Obama a break, or give him any credit for anything good he has done. The race card, once again. Obama ain't perfect, but I don't see him as that bad. He doesn't deserve all the hate and flak he gets. It is the level of hate and flak that'd I'd expect Romney to get, only that I'm sure he'll deserve it. I'm sure Romney would be a very bad president.

And I can see it now, if Romney gets elected, all the people going batshit angry over all his missteps, we are only gonna hear from the anti-Obama people, time and again "You guys said we were always too hard on Obama, now you guys are gonna come down hard on Romney?". But like I said, I definitely expect Romney to be a worse president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This is what gets me ... the GOP went freaking nuts over Gore possibly having accepted some money from foreign Buddhist monks back in 2000. But there's no traceability at all for the funds under these "non-profits".
Double standards and when it is bad for them, they hate it, but if it is on the flip side and benefits them, they love it and will do all they can to protect it when it comes under fire. Not like democrats wouldn't do the same things. Really, it is something that so many people have done all over the world all throughout the world's history. Something we are all aware of, I'm sure. You've got a lot of good people, and then plenty who can't play nice and can't play fair, creating strife for everyone good and decent, or at least giving them headaches.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-11-03 at 02:41.
Old 2012-11-03, 05:16   Link #2031
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

I mailed in my ballot 2 weeks ago. Voted straight ticket Democrat in CA because well...Henry Waxman is a great Congressman IMO for the Westwood area, Senate side Feinstein is already a win based on the top 2 Primary results. Also voted yes on Prop 30 because this is the last chance to prevent another tuition increase for the UC system. Worse yet if it doesn't pass, it's a 100% tuition increase by previous estimates. u___u

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-11-03, 07:58   Link #2032
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

While Romney didn't serve in military, many Mormons do
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A11HA20121102
Quote:
While neither of the candidates in next week's presidential election was in the military, Mitt Romney's age - he was eligible to serve in Vietnam - has raised questions during the campaign about why he didn't serve and whether his Mormon faith had anything to do with it.

Guy Hicks, a Mormon and former officer in the Army Reserve Special Forces, said there is a public misperception that members of the Mormon Church do not serve in the military.
Old 2012-11-03, 08:05   Link #2033
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
If Romney gets elected, we could see things like people protesting in Washington. I just suspect it more if Obama gets elected because the real extreme anti-Obama people seem like they are more likely to act on their feelings of protest. And also, with the extreme anti-Obama people, they are running on high emotions fueled by racism. To be someone who is extremely anti-Obama, you figure they gotta be racist for most of them. I mean, when Obama first got elected, look at how people reacted. The Tea Party formed. Why? Why did they have such a strong reaction to Obama being elected? A significant amount of that reaction was based in racism. And look at how some people will never give Obama a break, or give him any credit for anything good he has done. The race card, once again. Obama ain't perfect, but I don't see him as that bad. He doesn't deserve all the hate and flak he gets. It is the level of hate and flak that'd I'd expect Romney to get, only that I'm sure he'll deserve it. I'm sure Romney would be a very bad president.

And I can see it now, if Romney gets elected, all the people going batshit angry over all his missteps, we are only gonna hear from the anti-Obama people, time and again "You guys said we were always too hard on Obama, now you guys are gonna come down hard on Romney?". But like I said, I definitely expect Romney to be a worse president.
I just can't bring myself to think in those terms cause I think those lines of reasoning are just too simple and too convenient. While I won't dismiss that bias plays a role, it's not the driving force for why people are so anti-Obama. Memory is fleeting which is why a lot of people don't bring up how much Clinton was hated by certain faction of the Republican party who were just as batshit crazy or angy or extreme. You should be able to look it up and verify many such instances and examples of open disdain shown toward him.

As for the Tea Party's formation, it was long coming. When Obama was elected, the urgency to form one became even more because Corporate America fears him. Here is one such example of why they fear him:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

This is a opinion piece he gives in 1998 as a young senator from Illinois. The idea behind Tea Party, however, was conceived long before it by guys like Ron Paul who always believed in smaller Federal government. Tea Party also incorporated other ideas such as the fear of uncontrollable debt which would lead to the same path as so many countries in Europe, or ideas such as how US influence is dwindling to rising economic powerhouse such as China, a communist country. And these ideas keep piling on to widen the base to make Tea Party a movement. A lot of blacks, asians, hispanic, along with the whites are in Tea Party. Obama is getting a lot flack because some people fear him for what he believes in rather than his higher level of melanin in his skin.

Ask yourself this... would you go riot/demonstrate/dance-on-a-burning-car-in-your-speedo if Romney is elected? If you answer yes, then your fear of seeing demonstration/riot after a Obama victory isn't too far fetched. If you answer no, then you should ask yourself, what are the reasons why you wouldn't go riot or engage in other disruptive behavior such as dancing on a burning car in your speedo? People tend to forget that extremism exist on both sides, but fortunately their number is also a very small one. It's very easy to tune them out.

The real threat is the possibility of good/rational people such as yourself (which outnumbers the extreme by a huge margin) letting or allowing powerful interest to sway your opinion/understanding in a certain way through fear that prevented you to be yourself, the intelligent and rational being you normally are. Have faith in yourself. And have faith in others even if they don't share the same views as you. I apologize ahead as I realize how lecturish my post sound, so to amend I posted a link to a video in the following that I know you will enjoy. I also have a feeling it will ease your worries a whole lot:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...ing-blame-game

They sound strikingly similar, don't they?
Old 2012-11-03, 08:51   Link #2034
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I just can't bring myself to think in those terms cause I think those lines of reasoning are just too simple and too convenient. While I won't dismiss that bias plays a role, it's not the driving force for why people are so anti-Obama. Memory is fleeting which is why a lot of people don't bring up how much Clinton was hated by certain faction of the Republican party who were just as batshit crazy or angy or extreme. You should be able to look it up and verify many such instances and examples of open disdain shown toward him.

As for the Tea Party's formation, it was long coming. When Obama was elected, the urgency to form one became even more because Corporate America fears him. Here is one such example of why they fear him:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

This is a opinion piece he gives in 1998 as a young senator from Illinois. The idea behind Tea Party, however, was conceived long before it by guys like Ron Paul who always believed in smaller Federal government. Tea Party also incorporated other ideas such as the fear of uncontrollable debt which would lead to the same path as so many countries in Europe, or ideas such as how US influence is dwindling to rising economic powerhouse such as China, a communist country. And these ideas keep piling on to widen the base to make Tea Party a movement. A lot of blacks, asians, hispanic, along with the whites are in Tea Party. Obama is getting a lot flack because some people fear him for what he believes in rather than his higher level of melanin in his skin.
That was 98? He looked like a kid. He's aged at least 30 years since then.

Quote:
Ask yourself this... would you go riot/demonstrate/dance-on-a-burning-car-in-your-speedo if Romney is elected? If you answer yes, then your fear of seeing demonstration/riot after a Obama victory isn't too far fetched. If you answer no, then you should ask yourself, what are the reasons why you wouldn't go riot or engage in other disruptive behavior such as dancing on a burning car in your speedo? People tend to forget that extremism exist on both sides, but fortunately their number is also a very small one. It's very easy to tune them out.
You're not necessarily wrong, but the assumption that the supporters of one aren't any crazier than the supporters of the other sounds a bit simplistic, too.
Old 2012-11-03, 08:59   Link #2035
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
You're not necessarily wrong, but the assumption that the supporters of one aren't any crazier than the supporters of the other sounds a bit simplistic, too.
You are right in a general sense, but the point still remains that the anti-Obama fodder isn't as simple as race-card many seem to believe at. It's more of an ideological stance that divides between liberalism and conservatism. There won't be a riot regardless of the outcome.
Old 2012-11-03, 11:43   Link #2036
GundamFan0083

Quote:
You are right in a general sense, but the point still remains that the anti-Obama fodder isn't as simple as race-card many seem to believe at. It's more of an ideological stance that divides between liberalism and conservatism. There won't be a riot regardless of the outcome.
Agreed.
It's a lot of saber rattling on both sides because the race is so "close."
I also agree that race has little to do with people's dislike for Obama, my own disdain for Obama is the same as my disdain for Romney.
RomnObamacare, the NDAA, the new EPA restrictions on coal plants, the handling of BP oil, Fast and Furious, the promise of a new assault weapon ban (which I vehemently oppose), continued bail out of the banks/Wall Street (QE unlimited which Romney agrees with), our presence in the Middle East, and the continued escalation of hostilities with Iran; to name a few.

As far as I'm concerned, racism has nothing to do with it. If I had to describe them racially I'd say that Obama is a Cracker incognito, and Romney is a Haughty-Honkey, both are a disgrace to their people: i.e. Americans.
The race issue is BS anyway.
Who cares if the President is Black, White, or green, there won't be real change in this country until we get a President that is free of the coropratist interests in this country.
For that, we'll have to elect a poor person (of any color) or better yet, a native American.

I keep seeing how "close" this race is, yet you'd never know it considering the number of people that Romney is attracting.

30,000 turn out for Romney in West Chester
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...chester/nSwcd/

And an interesting article on the polling shenanigans going on this year (though I admit I don't particularly like National Review, they are quite bias IMHO).

Parsing the Polls

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...chael-g-franc#
Old 2012-11-03, 12:06   Link #2037
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, racism has nothing to do with it.
Well, I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with it, there are plenty of racists still these days.

Still, while it may be more prevalent in some areas, I'd agree that in the overall big picture, race isn't really that big of a factor.
Old 2012-11-03, 12:08   Link #2038
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Hurricane Sandy helped Obama politically, Karl Rove says
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-says/?print=1

RUPERT MURDOCH: If Chris Christie Doesn't 'Re-Declare' For Mitt Romney, He'll Be Blamed For His Loss
http://www.businessinsider.com/murdo...y-mitt-2012-11
Both seem to try to give Romney excuse for losing, other than his stance on pretty much everyting.
Old 2012-11-03, 12:53   Link #2039
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

God forbid that the GOP admit their goals aren't actually aligned with the community.
Old 2012-11-03, 13:42   Link #2040
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
While Romney didn't serve in military, many Mormons do
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A11HA20121102
I'm not sure how this is supposed to smear Romney's name. Military service isn't something that anyone should feel obligated to volunteer for, and even if he dodged the Vietnam draft I wouldn't care because I consider the concept of drafting people into war wrong to begin with.
Closed Thread