AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-20, 20:49   Link #1001
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Wow, healer-chan is too innocent and pure for this world. Her interaction with the witch was really endearing.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 21:06   Link #1002
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

In terms of the debate of High Fantasy vs Low Fantasy, TV Tropes use three different distinctions: High, Heroic, and Low. These are basically stripped down versions of the definitions, but it should do:

High - epic battle against good and evil, and by epic I mean "global destruction threat"

Heroic - an individual or a group that's able to do outstanding feats, dealing with a problem that isn't really going to end the world as they know it, but still is a major enough occurence

Low - your mundane people dealing with problems with their daily lives, or really struggling in tasks 'heroes' do effortlessly

Going by those definitions, if Goblin Slayer was about the group of heroes that assembled to defeat the Demon Lord, then it would probably be High Fantasy.

Now if Goblin Slayer was about the daily life of Cow Girl and how she runs her farm, or the life of Guild Girl and the story about her giving out quests to these peculiar people, then it's low fantasy. One could also argue if it's about porcelain ranked adventurers doing their best to survive a brutal dungeon, then it would probably also be low fantasy.

But Goblin Slayer is about the titular character doing feats that can only be described as Heroic. He is basically the Rambo against the goblins, destroying nests day in and out. His origins may be of humble beginnings, but the stuff he is doing NOW is the stuff legends, enough to be sung of in other towns by bards. But he isn't really dealing with a world ending threat, just Goblins, so this unambiguously puts Goblin Slayer firmly as a Heroic Fantasy story.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 21:18   Link #1003
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

So the elves can eat cheese?
I've never really understood the difference between vegans, vegetarians, and why one would be one over the other.

However, come to think of it, I don't really recall when it was decided that Elves don't eat meat. There is this strange belief that they are, but from quick searches, it isn't really a prominent trait of that species (in real life myth). Interesting...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 21:22   Link #1004
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
There is a lot in fiction that doesn't make sense. Giant humanoid mechas, harems (as presented in the harem genre), whatever the hell was going on in Yugioh... The examples are countless and not limited to RPG tropes. At some point, you either accept a story's premise, or you stop watching.
Now you're talking to me like I'm a newbie to anime and fantasy stuffs . Yu-Gi-Oh!, Jojo, Gurren Lagann, Gintama, etc are examples of shows that know how ridiculous their setting are and they totally embrace it by going ham at it. And yes, I enjoy the hell out of those series coz they are ridiculous and they own it. In contrast, there are series that tries to be serious and profound but the inconsistency & ridiculous nature of the writing totally ruin it (eg. Terror in Resonance). Another example: a lot of things in TLOTR don't make a lick of sense, but at least the socio-political relationship among the humans and between humans & other intelligent species make sense in the story (except for the Eagles, which they should've been able to ask them for help to carry the ring to Mordor since the very beginning and saved a lot of time and lives ). Fullmetal Alchemist also has magic, humanoid monsters and other shit but that doesn't stop it from presenting a believable setting where you can feel that people can actually live in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
That's not what I asked you. What I asked was what makes you believe goblins are some sort of existential threat to the human race?
Periodically wiping out villages and constantly kidnapping and using women as their sex toys and breeding machines is not enough to make goblins a threat to humans to you? Those goblins' existence and behavior are as bad as mosquitoes in our current world, and many countries & parties are battling to eliminate them as we speak coz they cause a lot of human fatalities. Mosquitoes are still seen as a threat to humanity's existence until either they or we are gone.

Quote:
You yourself acknowledged that Goblin Slayer depends on it's audience being knowledgeable of D and D to work and then you compare it to a series that works by creating it's own universe. They're different from the premise.
And like I said, that's a lazy thing to do in setting up your serious fantasy-story. Shows like Konosuba can get away with it because the entire show is a joke & parody. Western movies can get away with it because the "wild west" setting really existed in history and people are already familiar with it before the movie even started. Gundam shows are good examples of how to establish a made-up world. Each show usually set up the socio-political context in episode 1 so that audience can make sense of the characters' actions within episode 1 itself and onwards. They don't just rely on audience and fans' familiarity with the Gundam setting despite already being such a popular franchise for a long time in Japan.
Old 2018-10-20, 21:26   Link #1005
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

@Serenade
From what I remember of the dragonlance series, elves there ate whatever. In other series, they weren't specifically said they were vegetarian or whatever. This is just about the only time I've seen elves being vegetarian (or vegan, I don't know the difference) which is all sorts of weird because you know, a race that is very proficient with the bow would be using it for something else other than war. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 21:29   Link #1006
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I've never really understood the difference between vegans, vegetarians, and why one would be one over the other.

However, come to think of it, I don't really recall when it was decided that Elves don't eat meat. There is this strange belief that they are, but from quick searches, it isn't really a prominent trait of that species (in real life myth). Interesting...
It seems to be a common trope in Japan fantasy at least. I remember Isekai Shokudou had one too. It's apparently prominent enough that one narou novel "isekai nonbiri nouka" poked fun at this with the elves responding when asked about those tropes of not eating meat and living one with nature with "don't underestimate nature, you live like that in a forest and you will die very quickly!" . In addition, those elves also excels at blacksmithing because of course the are, they're self-reliant.
Old 2018-10-20, 21:32   Link #1007
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Gundam shows are good examples of how to establish a made-up world. Each show usually set up the socio-political context in episode 1 so that audience can make sense of the characters' actions within episode 1 itself and onwards. They don't just rely on audience and fans' familiarity with the Gundam setting despite already being such a popular franchise for a long time in Japan.
The original Gundam universe is inspired by World War I and World War II era.
Char Aznable The Red Comet is inspired by Charles Aznavour and Red Baron.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 21:34   Link #1008
bakato

I was introduced to vegetarian elves in Eragon. Made sense then, but I was blown away by Kazuma Kamachi's elves who could eat as much as they want without getting fat.
Old 2018-10-20, 21:40   Link #1009
Eclar
Avid reader

I read somewhere that elves are vegetarian, not vegan. Vegan is when people don't eat anything that comes fron animals (either meat or dairy). That image stuck with me because generally elves respect nature and stuff.
Old 2018-10-20, 22:10   Link #1010
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Generally the latter just don't want animals to be killed (hence why they don't eat meat). The former dislike any kind mistreatment of animals and they see animal farming as inevitably distressing for them (hence why they don't eat any animal product including milk and eggs).

Quote:
That's news to me. The closest thing I can think of are forest elves, but being close to the natural world doesn't mean not eating meat, quite the opposite.

BTW elves in the real life myth are quite different from the elves of Tolkien and D&D. There isn't even a clear distinction between elves and dwarves in norse mythology which sounds like heresy for modern fantasy standards.

Hell... orcs don't even exist in actual myths. Tolkien just made them up as smaller version of Ogre, and named them after Orcus from which the word Ogre originates.

Moreover the characteristic green skin doesn't come from neither the myths nor the Tolkien works. It's something that became popularized later with D&D illustrations which ended up extending to goblins.

And that's how the goblins in this very anime are green.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 22:18   Link #1011
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeando View Post
Probably not, and when uncertain it's still better to expect not, cause overblown expectations is a recipe for disappointment. But nothing stops who wants to discuss past the premise if they feel like it.
Personally i'm feeling this story to be on the same level of deep-ness as one punch man. Instead of one-punch here there is only-goblin-quests.

Anyway, episode 3 will be out in some hours, any expectations?
Will it be a full episode about goblin massacre, or there will be an other slice of life detour like in ep2?
Now that I've watched episode 3 and seen even more unnecessary and eye-rolling use of fanservice, maybe I'll just take your advise and stop treating the show seriously. The showrunners definitely don't treat it seriously enough to the point where they can throw that gratuitous boob bounce at the audiences' face. Yep. I'll just treat it like Danmachi. That should get rid of some of my problems with the show.
Old 2018-10-20, 22:48   Link #1012
kampfer91
Master Eugenist

Just how long that boob shove into your face ? Less than 1 min . That mage have been around since ep 2 .

The ep is about introducing those who eventually work with GS for a while , the difference between newb adventurers and veteran one when they think about GS . Also GS only care about goblin , the rest is not his concern even if demon is invading the land .
kampfer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 22:53   Link #1013
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Other races about situation:

"Demon lords are invading and there's rise on goblin activity. Using goblin might be one of demon lords plan"
"That's why Orcbolg we asked help of expert like you to investigate the ruins."

Human race on said situation:

"By the way, did you hear that demon lords are invading?" "OMG? Really?"
"Meh. Goblin quest is suck because they're not rare hunt and not paid well" "BTW. That guy who only taking goblin quest is a weirdo for sure."

I guess its just suck living around human in GS-verse.

Old 2018-10-20, 22:57   Link #1014
Top Sergeant

I was quite pleased with the portrayal of the Mage/Witch, especially that they did attempt to bring to life her speech pattern. I also liked how she actually appreciates Goblin Slayer and what he's doing, unlike a majority of the other adventurers at the Guild. I also liked the counselling session she gave Priestess.

Last edited by Top Sergeant; 2018-10-20 at 23:13.
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 23:07   Link #1015
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post

BTW elves in the real life myth are quite different from the elves of Tolkien and D&D. There isn't even a clear distinction between elves and dwarves in norse mythology which sounds like heresy for modern fantasy standards.
The study of fictional creatures are changed over time can fill a library. Even Tolkien started the stereotype, it was D&D popularize the archers as elves' default occupation. In Goblin Slayer, the elf's roles in the team are ranger and scout.

The earliest elf I saw in fiction is Record of Lodoss War. Lodoss War is based on the idea of D&D. Later, I learned from a book in one city library, which elf and dwarf are born from the first slained giant. Years later, after watching several other anime, I am interested about elf research again. It seems elf has close association to god's attribute and etymology, but they elf is still as mortal as humans. The Wikipedia divided elf character as pre-Christianity stereotype and post-Christianity stereotype. The pre-Christianity stereotype is elves are beings cannot be classified as gods, humans, or giants. The post-Christianity are either good or bad: demons, goblin, Santa's helper, incubus, fairy, etc. The fictions create the idea of 'high elf', as a human with ability to cast magic.

On the other hand, the goblin in Grimm Brothers' tale Rumpelstiltskin has mysterious magic. In the fairytale, the goblin seems to like to exploit a mainden in the weak position by offering the unfair deal. The compensation demanded by Goblin caused the stress to the heroine, but she was able to survive the deal. The goblin is not the only character to cause miseries. In Grimm Brothers' tales, there are all sort of characters who will cause miseries to heroines, even Virgin Mary causes a heroine misery, so the heroine learns the value of honesty. There are some exceptions. In one of the brothers' fairytales, a traveling stranger tricked a devil, so a dead rich man has opportunity to ascend to heaven.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 23:17   Link #1016
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Lizardbro is Bath House Owner!!!!
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 23:23   Link #1017
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Periodically wiping out villages and constantly kidnapping and using women as their sex toys and breeding machines is not enough to make goblins a threat to humans to you? Those goblins' existence and behavior are as bad as mosquitoes in our current world, and many countries & parties are battling to eliminate them as we speak coz they cause a lot of human fatalities. Mosquitoes are still seen as a threat to humanity's existence until either they or we are gone.
Once again, you ignored my question. What I asked you was why do you think goblins are enough of a threat that they will destroy the human race. No one denies that goblins are a threat, but the show literally tells us that goblins are not enough of a threat to destroy the world, so why do you think they are?

Quote:
And like I said, that's a lazy thing to do in setting up your serious fantasy-story. Shows like Konosuba can get away with it because the entire show is a joke & parody. Western movies can get away with it because the "wild west" setting really existed in history and people are already familiar with it before the movie even started.
So it's fine for Westerns to depend on people's knowledge of the Wild West, but it's lazy writing for a fantasy to depend on D and D, which is literally one of the pillars of modern fantasy that pretty much every fantasy fan in existence would have some level of familiarity with?

This just sounds like your dislike of RPG's again.

Quote:
Gundam shows are good examples of how to establish a made-up world. Each show usually set up the socio-political context in episode 1 so that audience can make sense of the characters' actions within episode 1 itself and onwards. They don't just rely on audience and fans' familiarity with the Gundam setting despite already being such a popular franchise for a long time in Japan.
Gundam Unicorn says hi. It's a great show, but if I wasn't already conversent in Gundam, I'd have been lost.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 23:41   Link #1018
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keila View Post
A 'slight' tangent, but what can the elf actually eat? I mean I get that she can't eat meat (hence rabbit) but are animals products (like cheese) totally fine?

More or less where on the 'scale' of things like

+ Vegetarian
+ Vegan
+ ...god knows how many other variations exist these days (people who won't eat meat, but 'fish' is totally fine).
hmmm...this is the first time I learned that Elf is supposed to be vegan/vegetarian...never really thought about that at all until I read your post about it.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-21, 00:05   Link #1019
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

The stories I've read so far had elf race living in harmony with the nature but never refusing meal with meat and the like when offered the choice.
Old 2018-10-21, 00:06   Link #1020
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Gundam Unicorn says hi. It's a great show, but if I wasn't already conversent in Gundam, I'd have been lost.
Sorry to out topic but I totally disagree about this.

Sure Unicorn is on UC setting but the story itself not needing much knowledge about UC. The movie itself can be easily watched without being Gundam hardcore fans.
Unlike what you said, Unicorn managed to cater interests of newer audiences, both newcomer and those joining because of SEED, 00, etc; making them want to dig more about UC, that is considered old by current standard, easily one of reason why Unicorn is one of the best Gundam show as scoring such result is not an easy task.

Besides ... Just because their number is small they can't be considered deadly.

Mosquitoes example is already fair enough.

You can brush them off because they're small, weak, incomparable to lion who can rip human with their teeth.
However said weak creature already became caused of death on several countries, killing more humans than lions.

Well, maybe comparison is a bit off with goblin as the correct one for them would be rape enough woman that church ended up having some kind of rehabilitation center. Could be the reason why they're not considered dangerous, not enough kill count just hurting good amount of human.

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy