AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2007-05-09, 10:12   Link #101
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-san View Post
There's even a Philippines base

Does this mean aside from the Big 3 (Brittania, EU, China), only Japan maintained independence prior to Britannia's invasion?
Don't forget, an invasion map is fluid because entire nations can vanish and boundaries pushed every which way over a period of time. There is no reason to discount the possibility that there had been many other small countries nearby, but Britannia had "Numeralfied" them prior to the Japan invasion.

There is also the possibility that in the face of overwhelming threats from Britannia, many small nations near China voluntarily joined the Federation in exchange for protection.

Don't forget, Japan was only focused in that map because it was a map made for the invasion of Japan. Only those nations which Britannia suspect would interfere or otherwise have any impact at all against the invasion would be worth displayed on the map.
Old 2007-05-30, 13:43   Link #102
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

~Removed at Celiss' request~

ROFL at the Tokusatsu reference.
BTW, the way C.C. refers to those historical figureheads makes me wonder whether she actually didn't meet them at one point or another... O_O

Last edited by Renegade334; 2007-06-17 at 04:03.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 01:16   Link #103
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
I wonder, since this "revolution" was crushed, I wonder what happened with the other revolutions (Say france)....
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 02:53   Link #104
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Ep. 07: 4:33-4:36, Suzaku's textbook -

"... of Henry IX, son of the great Elizabeth I...flourished as never before."

I was wondering when they were gonna clear up the whole Tudor line of kings bit. At least we've got an explanation for one of the fictional kings.

Now all they have to do is explain who the fictional Henry X is (probably a direct heir to the throne), and how it is that Edward VI, son of Henry VIII and Jane Seymour, took back the throne and didn't die as a teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I wonder, since this "revolution" was crushed, I wonder what happened with the other revolutions (Say France)....
Ep. 07: 4:33-4:36, Suzaku's textbook -

"While other European countries stagnated assailed by waves of people's revolutions and parliamentarization, England held fast to absolute monarchy, and saw continued development through the reigns of King Henry X and Edward VI thanks to the wealth produced by the New World."

The revolutions in the rest of Europe happened earlier than the one in the American colonies apparently.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 02:34   Link #105
Cal-Reflector

Made this during my lunch break: The World Map in the Geass Universe, 2010 more or less. Combining some of the opinions voiced here and whatever I could glean from the various languaged wikis and official sites. Orange is Brittania, Blue is the EU, and Green is the Chinese Federation.

Still, it is only conjecture, with plenty of blanks filled in on the basis of my own evaluations. Some notable aspects:

1)On the basis of Brittania's extent and prowess, they possess a majority of the scattered island groups in the major oceans. Partly inferred from their ability to invade Japan from numerous directions, implying bases, if not territories, in the Pacific and SE Asia. Also based on the traditional focuses and conflicts of Asia and Europe on their respective continents, and the British navy's superiority, presumably recovered in the two centuries after their defeat Trafalgar. Historical possessions of the real world British Empire are for the most part affiliated with Brittania as well, including Singapore and the Common Wealths.

2)Countries have been left blank, especially Russia, since I couldn't decide whether it'd fall under the EU or Chinese Federation, neither of whom, in real or AU history, it'd likely submit to. Since there's no official confirmation that says the world contains only three political entities (an unlikely scenario itself), I thought Russia might still remain independent but far less influential. Other regions not affiliated with one of the big three include parts of the middle east, central asia, and Africa.

3) The EU is at its present day potential maximum extent, including Turkey and Greenland. The Chinese Federation has expanded into Central Asia and now includes Indonesia and most of SE Asia, notably Vietnam and Thailand. Korea falling under the Chinese Federation was a toss up; it is equally likely that Korea remained independent.

4)African continent: Not parts of the EU or Chinese Federation per se, but under their respective spheres of influence due to colonial pasts and more recent developments of Chinese investment in Africa, including Sudan. The rest of Africa probably remains under developed and poor, leaving little incentive for the Big Three to take them over.

Mentions of conflict between Brittania and the EU at El Alamein, North Africa, implies contest of control over this region. More over, hints that the EU actually has the upperhand implies a greater balance of power than Brittania's extent might imply.
Old 2007-07-13, 04:43   Link #106
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
2)Countries have been left blank, especially Russia, since I couldn't decide whether it'd fall under the EU or Chinese Federation, neither of whom, in real or AU history, it'd likely submit to. Since there's no official confirmation that says the world contains only three political entities (an unlikely scenario itself), I thought Russia might still remain independent but far less influential. Other regions not affiliated with one of the big three include parts of the middle east, central asia, and Africa.
I agree that there is a fundamental difficulty in believing that Russia could have been controlled/taken over by the Chinese. But I find it equally unlikely for a country of that size and rich in resources to not be influential.

Fact of the matter is, Sunrise likely intentionally removed Russia all together from the equation because they wanted to simplify the politics in the show. In particular, they needed an united front in Asia that could stop Britannia dead in its tracks at a stalemate.

If Russians exist in Code Geass, they would be mentioned by now. And if they were too weak to matter, then they would have been absorbed by CF or Britannia already. Anyway, could a weak Russia really be considered Russia?

(And look at how big a chunk of land you gave Russia! At least if you fragment the landmass into smaller nations, I could almost believe they were weak and unimportant... Russia as a piece of land is rich in resources, and in such a war-like time there is no way it could have not being invaded by somebody)
Old 2007-07-13, 05:04   Link #107
Cal-Reflector

VCV: I was hoping that you'd pick up the other aspects of the projected world map, as Russia really was just about the hardest nation to project into the world of code geass; a throw in the dark, if you would, for all the reasons you listed.

I know that CG history deviated from ours way early on during the Roman invasion, but for the purposes of filling in the blanks left by Sunrise, using the present real world (which will arrive in story time 2017 in a short ten years) as a basis for projection is inevitable. As such, the possibility of Russia becoming part of the EU or a nonexistant Asian federation is 1/near infinity, or close to zero. In truth, their world might not be that different from ours after all. WW1 or something like it did take place, they do have an advanced state of civilization more or on less on pace from our own, excluding certain things, like invincible giant robots who dominate the battlefield, handheld electro-coil weapons, and a few others.

So for the sake of the discussion, might we scoot the CCCP to the side for a bit a concentrate on the relevant players in CG?
Old 2007-07-14, 03:19   Link #108
Alucard24

Great map ! But i fell strange that Britania doesn't have more territories in Africa. After all, in our history, they had the half of it isn't it ?
Alucard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 03:42   Link #109
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard24 View Post
Great map ! But i fell strange that Britania doesn't have more territories in Africa. After all, in our history, they had the half of it isn't it ?
You're right, that might have slipped me. I probably left Brittanian influence largely out of Africa due to the fact that they've only got roughly 1/3 of the world's land mass, so I tried to limit their extent. As with Russia, Africa is largely left out of Code Geass' story, absent of any mention, so deciding who owns what there is a fairly arbitrary process as well. "Interesting" places would include regions of strategic or economic or demographic importance, like Egypt, Turkey, Singapore, and so forth.
Old 2007-07-16, 03:01   Link #110
WhiteWings

Russia as we know it is probably divided primarily between the EU and the Chinese. Africa is probably is a contest ground as much as it had during the last several centuries in our own world.

Where is Britannia's capital anyway? Is it in the british islands (or whatever they call it in Geass) or in the American continents?
Old 2007-07-16, 03:17   Link #111
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
Russia as we know it is probably divided primarily between the EU and the Chinese. Africa is probably is a contest ground as much as it had during the last several centuries in our own world.

Where is Britannia's capital anyway? Is it in the british islands (or whatever they call it in Geass) or in the American continents?
From what I remember, the Royal family (or whoever was ruling Britannia) escaped from the British Isles to America, so their current capital should be America. However we still don't know if they've taken the British Isles back yet.
Old 2007-07-16, 03:48   Link #112
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
From what I remember, the Royal family (or whoever was ruling Britannia) escaped from the British Isles to America, so their current capital should be America. However we still don't know if they've taken the British Isles back yet.
Well, considering that there was a strong enough democratic movement to cause a popular rebellion in the Isles in the first place, that indicates that any Brittanian attempt to retake the British isles would be against their own people. If the royalty had simply been driven off the isles by an invasion force from the continent, reclaiming the isles would have been a simple military matter. But if your own subjects forced you out in the first place... well, coming back is a lot harder then.

Supposing then that a revolutionary people's government formed on the British Isles after Trafalgar, here are a few possibilities as to what happened next:

1) The Rebellion was conducted by a minority or a slim majority, tyranny, bloodshed and persecution against loyalists results, and the situation is so horrible the general population welcomes back the royalty a few years later from America. Similar events have happened in France, where people elected and reinstated Emperors, preferring a sovereign over Republicanism.

2) For one reason or another, Brittania is occupied by a foreign force, which the populace finds even more irksome than the original royalty. The British royalty returns with a force from America and retakes Brittania.

3) If Brittania was under foreign occupation unwelcomed by the local populace, then they would have had opportunity to retake/regain the British isles by force or by diplomacy during the two world wars, which presumably happened over continental Europe, as a bargaining chip for their military support.

4) The popular uprising forms a government that is widely supported by the populace and they rejoin the EU voluntarily in time. Brittania loses the British Isles forever.

On a side note to the map:
It's not very visible, but Gibraltar belongs to Britannia, which together with the whole of Morocco controls both sides of the Straits of Gibraltar, which is the mouth of the Mediterranean. This would probably a focus of conflict between the EU and Brittania that would extent across North Africa all the way to Egypt and the Middle East, since it is a vital commercial lane and strategic location.

Brittania's main flash point with the Chinese Federation would probably be Singapore, which similarly oversees the vital route between Asia and Europe.
Old 2007-07-18, 08:16   Link #113
Cal-Reflector

I apologize if my enthusiasm for speculating on the world of Geass bothers some people; it just happens to combine two great obsessions of mine: Military affairs and Anime. Here's a Organizational Chart of the Britannian Armed Forces, 2017, that I've drawn up:

Brittanian Army:
13 Corps, encompassing 34 Divisions, plus 9 independent Divisions = 43 Divisions. Regular Army: 916,000 Personnel.
Territorial Army (Reserves and troops from numbered regions): 29 Divisions. 558,000 Personnel.
Army Total Strength: 1,474,000 Men and Women.
Inventory: 9200 Knightmare Frames. 4400 Aircraft (Primarily Rotary/VTOL), 420 Unmanned Aircraft.

Britannian Royal Navy:
440,000 Active, 240,000 Reserves. Total Strength: 680,000.
Inventory: 522 Ships, including 19 Aircraft Carriers (~100,000 tons displacement) and 24 Amphibious Assault Carriers (~45,000 tons displacement)
5200 Manned Aircraft, 360 Unmanned Aircraft.

Britannian Royal Air Force:
424,000 Active Strength, 286,000 Reserve, 212,000 Civilian Employees. Total Military Strength: 710,000.
Inventory: 9600 Manned Aircraft, 840 Unmanned Aircraft.
Britannian Royal Marines:
160,000 Active, 40,000 Reserves: Total Strength: 200,000 Members

Inventory: 780 Knightmare Frames. 1700 Manned Aircraft, 380 Unamnned Aircraft.
Brittanian Military Total Strength: 3,064,000.

Note on number of Knightmare Frames: Desired Amount to maintain force structure; actual number varies since they get destroyed so frequently. Not all regular divisions receive full complement of Knightmares (240). Territorial Divisions receive fewer or no Knightmares at all, depending on their loyalty.
Old 2007-07-18, 12:07   Link #114
Alucard24

I remember they said that the "homeland" is on the american continent.
Alucard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 22:05   Link #115
Echoes

This thread is a very interesting read, seems you've really put some serious thought into this. I got nothing to contribute with at the moment, but I'll definitely enjoy lurking through this thread, thanks.
Old 2007-07-26, 06:29   Link #116
jdiam

Hi!~

If anybody's good at reading Japanese, I pulled this from 2ch; apparently it's from the history lesson on the latest DVD. It miiiiight reveal the fate of the British Isles; I can't quite tell.

今のとこDVDの歴史講座まとめるとこんな?

大航海時代のきっかけとなったのは、当時ヨーロッパで進んでいた、錬金術に端を発した、
ストーン・ヘンジ周辺などから発見された賢者の石=サクラダイトを動力源とするための研究。
サクラダイトは絶対量が少なく、研究の発展が妨げられていたが、
マルコ・ポーロの「世界の記述」にある黄金の国ジパングに大量に存在すると考えられた。

(16世紀位)独身を貫いたエリザベス1世には息子、ヘンリー9世がおり、
父親候補はレスター伯・エセックス伯・ブリタニア公カールなどが有力とされている

皇暦1770年代、アメリカでワシントンの乱勃発
当時のブリタニア公は、ルイ16世に独立支援を請うてフランスに渡った
ベンジャミン・フランクリンに、爵位と植民地アメリカの領地をちらつかせて買収(その後、伯爵となった模様 )。
大陸軍はヨークタウンで大敗北を喫し、ジョージ・ワシントンが死亡。

皇暦1700年代の末、市民革命時代に入り、フランス革命を経てナポレオンが登場。
トラファルガー海戦に勝利し、ロンドンへ進軍。1807年、女王エリザベス3世はエディンバラに追い込まれ 、
革命派の市民軍に捕縛され王政廃止宣言を迫られる(エディンバラの屈辱)が、
ブリタニア公リカルド・ヴァン・ブリタニアと、その親友であり部下でもあるナイト・オブ・ワン の
リシャール・エクトル卿によって新大陸へと落ち延びた。

皇暦1813年、新大陸に渡ったテューダー朝の血筋が途絶え、
リカルド・ヴァン・ブリタニア1世が即位。ブリタニア年代記が作成され、カエサルのブリテン島 遠征を退け、
部族を独立させたとされるアルウィン1世の即位を元年とした皇暦を制定(皇暦元年時のローマ皇帝はアウグス トクス)。
jdiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 07:13   Link #117
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

This is fun...
First paragraph: The alchemists had long looked for "The philosopher's stone", which could turn lead into gold and grant immortality.
Marco Polo's tales of the far away land of gold, "Zipangu", mentioned how it had vast amounts of such material.
(yep, you guessed it. The PS is Sakuradite, and Zipangu is the old name for Japan.)

Now, I couldn't get the names properly, so all the later paragraph are fuzzy to me... I am just waiting for some REAL translators.

The 2nd, short, paragraph was on the members of powerful nobles/royals.

The 3rd paragraph was about how America's attempt at independence got crushed, and poor George got killed. (CC was probably there when it all happened, as the sound dramas suggested.)

The 4th was about how the people's revolution in the British Isles affected everything. The Battle of Trafalgar lead to the the Spanish victory, and London was invaded. The Monarchy was abolished in Britain, and the surviving Royals escaped to America.

The 5th was on the current Britannian empire managing to reborn in the Americas.

...Please, someone, help me fill the gaping holes in this joke of a simplified translation! There are many names, and other things I just left out.
Old 2007-07-26, 09:55   Link #118
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
The 3rd paragraph was about how America's attempt at independence got crushed, and poor George got killed. (CC was probably there when it all happened, as the sound dramas suggested.)
Poor General Washington, wiped out because the French never came.

Quote:
The 4th was about how the people's revolution in the British Isles affected everything. The Battle of Trafalgar lead to the the Spanish victory, and London was invaded. The Monarchy was abolished in Britain, and the surviving Royals escaped to America.
Wouldn't the French be somehow present too? Trafalgar was Napoleon's gig with the help of the Spaniards. At any rate this is just the way the scenario played out.

Quote:
The 5th was on the current Britannian empire managing to reborn in the Americas.
I want more on this paragraph, but I'm now pretty convinced that Britannia was never able to take back the British Isles.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 21:04   Link #119
Cal-Reflector

My Japanese is proficient, but not perfect (say 85%). I'll identify places I don't get/am murky on and late coming experts can just fill in those spots:

大航海時代のきっかけとなったのは、当時ヨーロッパで進んでいた、錬金術に端を発した、
ストーン・ヘンジ周辺などから発見された賢者の石=サクラダイトを動力源とするための研究。
サクラダイトは絶対量が少なく、研究の発展が妨げられていたが、
マルコ・ポーロの「世界の記述」にある黄金の国ジパングに大量に存在すると考えられた。

At the advent of the Age of Discovery, Alchemy was moving forward in Europe, driven by the research around the Philsopher's Stone (Sakuradite) to turn it into a source of energy; sakuradite was first discovered near the Stone Henges. The scarcity of sakuradite impeded the research's progress, however, in "The Million" (The Travels of Marco Polo), Marco Polo mentions the land of gold, Japan, where sakuradite existed in abundance.

(16世紀位)独身を貫いたエリザベス1世には息子、ヘンリー9世がおり、
父親候補はレスター伯・エセックス伯・ブリタニア公カールなどが有力とされている

In the 16th century, Elizabeth the 1st who remained single throughout her life had a son, Henry the 9th. The potential fathers--Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester, Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex, and Duke of Britannia Carl--gain influence and power as a result. (Thus, the Tudors do not end with the Virgin Queen; aside from Duke of Brittania Carl, the other two are real historical figures)

皇暦1770年代、アメリカでワシントンの乱勃発
当時のブリタニア公は、ルイ16世に独立支援を請うてフランスに渡った
ベンジャミン・フランクリンに、爵位と植民地アメリカの領地をちらつかせて買収(その後、伯爵となった模様 )。
大陸軍はヨークタウンで大敗北を喫し、ジョージ・ワシントンが死亡。

Imperial Calendar, in the 1770s, the Rebellion of Washington takes place in America. The Duke of Brittania at the time bribes Benjamin Franklin with promises of titles and territories in the colonies, who was charged with appealing to Louis XVI for France's assistance in the colonies' war for independence. Thereafter, Benjamin Franklin seems to have become an earl. As a result, the Continental Army suffers a decisive defeat at Yorktown, George Washington dies.

皇暦1700年代の末、市民革命時代に入り、フランス革命を経てナポレオンが登場。
トラファルガー海戦に勝利し、ロンドンへ進軍。1807年、女王エリザベス3世はエディンバラに追い込まれ 、
革命派の市民軍に捕縛され王政廃止宣言を迫られる(エディンバラの屈辱)が、
ブリタニア公リカルド・ヴァン・ブリタニアと、その親友であり部下でもあるナイト・オブ・ワン の
リシャール・エクトル卿によって新大陸へと落ち延びた。

Towards the end of the 18th century, the Western world enters the Age of Revolution, after the French revolutions Napoleon emerges. He wins the Battle of Trafalgar and occupies London. In 1807, Queen Elizabeth the 3rd is chased to Edinburgh. where revolutionary militias arrest her and force her to abdicate and end the monarchy (The Shame of Edinburgh). However, The Duke of Brittania Ricardo von Brittania and his friend and subordinate Knight of One, Sir Richard Hector, sustains the Monarchy in the New World.

皇暦1813年、新大陸に渡ったテューダー朝の血筋が途絶え、
リカルド・ヴァン・ブリタニア1世が即位。ブリタニア年代記が作成され、カエサルのブリテン島 遠征を退け、
部族を独立させたとされるアルウィン1世の即位を元年とした皇暦を制定(皇暦元年時のローマ皇帝はアウグス トクス

Imperial Calendar 1813: The Blood of the Tudors who traveled to the New World comes to an end. Ricardo von Brittania the first ascends to the throne. The Brittanian year is established, with the origin year set as to the ascendancy of the first Celtic King Alwyn (Eowyn?) the First, from the tribes who defeated Caesar's invasion. At the time of Holy Brittanian Calendar's origin year, the Roman Emperor was Augustus, Caesar's successor.

Significant Conclusions:
1. Sakuradite was a driver of alchemy, so from the beginning people recognized the value of the mineral. It'd be a while until the age of science and super conductivity arrived however so I can't see people fighting wars over the substance until well after the industrial age and WWII. The discovery of sakuradite in Japan was a very modern event as well.

2. Benjamin Frankling turns traitor, never delivers the appeal to France, and as a result Britan wins the war over the American colonies. Fascinating.

3. Napoleon did exist (we can assume then, with all the historical figures already present, that most historical figures in the world of Geass would've remained extant), he did win Trafalgar, he did invade England, and succeed in gaining London. The mention of a revolutionary faction implies the existence of a royalist faction, who was probably overpowered by Napoleon's army aiding the revolutionaries. However, considering that Napoleon later crowned himself emperor and disillusioned many people (like Beethoven), the conflict in the British Isles may well have continued.

4. Seems like Ricardo disposed of the Tudors and made himself Emperor. Also surprisingly was the fact that at this point in time, America could not have been all that powerful in population, development, resources, and economy, especially after they lost the British Isles. Which meant that in roughly two centuries Brittania kept whatever territories/colonies/commonwealths from before, gained new ones, and came to prominence that we see them in today.

Last edited by Cal-Reflector; 2007-07-26 at 21:27.
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 00:50   Link #120
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
4. Seems like Ricardo disposed of the Tudors and made himself Emperor. Also surprisingly was the fact that at this point in time, America could not have been all that powerful in population, development, resources, and economy, especially after they lost the British Isles. Which meant that in roughly two centuries Brittania kept whatever territories/colonies/commonwealths from before, gained new ones, and came to prominence that we see them in today.
Well... perhaps the power of GEASS has something to do with it? C.C. was around during the failed rebellion by George Washington, so there is no reason why people like V.V. and others like him couldn't have meddled in world affairs back then.