AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2010-10-07, 10:06   Link #81
Cellatore
Super Lurker

How ironic that Mexico is the voice of freedom over the internet. Though I'm glad this happened, hopefully this will lead to a large movement of countries to follow in Mexico's footsteps. If enough countries were to reject ACTA and COICA then we could get out of this mess. I'm still really surprised that a government founded on freedom of the people has succumbed to this, honestly I'm shocked beyond belief.
Cellatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 10:09   Link #82
sa547
*Author

I remember back when the NSA tried to introduce the controversial Clipper chip and failed.

Now if both policies -- ACTA and COICA -- were to be passed, and everyone realizes that their malevolent intent becomes true, especially as their potential for abuse is very high, I could foresee the devastating revenge of the Anons.

The Internet is unanimously the last frontier for free speech, but judging from the consensus of those who posted here, I'd say... The two proposals are going against the true spirit of the Internet... and of the First Amendment.
Old 2010-12-06, 00:02   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This news story seems related to the international corporate efforts to affect draconian restrictions on what you do with products you buy...

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201012050184.html

In Japan, a government agency is preparing to try and ban the copying of DVD/Blu-ray in Japan for personal archiving or any reason at all.

Summary:

Quote:
A government agency is planning to ban copying of DVD and Blu-ray movies, even if it is done in the home for the purchaser's own use.
The production and distribution of programs to decrypt commercially produced discs would also be prohibited under legislation being prepared by the Agency for Cultural Affairs.
A bill to revise the existing Copyright Law will likely be submitted in next year's regular Diet session, officials said. However, the revision will not stipulate penalties for the act of copying itself, they said.
The changes were proposed by a working panel in a subcommittee of the Council for Cultural Affairs.
Old 2010-12-06, 10:04   Link #84
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Why is it ironic that Mexico is the voice of sanity? I don't get it. Is it because they are not a super power? Stigma? Drug wars?
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 18:18   Link #85
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
COICA was shut down, at least temporarily, by an Oregon senator. It's very unlikely that it will be able to actually go through next session, as it will be a fresh Congress, all working desperately for their next reelections.
Old 2010-12-13, 02:37   Link #86
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This news story seems related to the international corporate efforts to affect draconian restrictions on what you do with products you buy...

In Japan, a government agency is preparing to try and ban the copying of DVD/Blu-ray in Japan for personal archiving or any reason at all.

Summary:
And the sad thing is that they are much more effective in enforcing their censorship than in America, IIRC. It is MUCH harder to get movie rips in Japan then over here. They are THAT good at censorship
Old 2010-12-13, 13:01   Link #87
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
They can't see how shortsighted this is? We already heard this song years ago with the unmodified DMCA. Does Japan want their entire cryptography industry to go down the tubes?

Edit: Hey, well, if they do it, I guess they'll just have to get all their cryptographic research from us!
Old 2011-05-13, 04:21   Link #88
flying ^

^bumping^ for something Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger...

Los Angeles (my home, workplace, playground) – American Federation of Musicians (AFM), American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA), Directors Guild of America (DGA), International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts of the United States, Its Territories and Canada (IATSE), Screen Actors Guild (SAG), and International Brotherhood of Teamsters today released the following statement:

“We commend Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Ranking Member Charles Grassley (R-IA), and Senators Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Christopher Coons (D-DE), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Herb Kohl (D-WI), Chuck Schumer (D-NY), and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), for introducing the PROTECT IP Act today. This legislation will give U.S law enforcement agencies much needed and far more effective tools to fight the growth of illegal international rogue websites and foreign profiteers who directly attack our members’ livelihoods by knowingly trafficking in stolen content."

“As the Guilds and Unions that represent 400,000 creators, performers and craftspeople who create the multitude of diverse films, television programs and sound recordings that are enjoyed by billions of people around the world, we unequivocally support this bill which, by providing protection for our members’ work, clearly shows that our government will not condone or permit the wholesale looting of the American economy and American creativity and ingenuity – regardless of how that looting is disguised on the Internet to fool the American consumer."

“The industry in which our members work employs hundreds of thousands of people directly and millions more in related large and small businesses that support the creation of films, television programs and sound recordings. Rogue websites, which are run by foreign profiteers who play absolutely no role in financing or creating the content they so casually steal, rob our members of the ability to make a living, deplete earnings that would otherwise fund their pension and health plans, and threaten the ability of our industry to provide jobs now and in the future."

“We thank Chairman Leahy and the cosponsors of the PROTECT IP Act for understanding the true nature of this crime and for their consistent advocacy for protecting American content, particularly in the face of unreasoned and irrational claims that attempt to equate the protection of American films, television programs and sound recordings from digital thieves with actions taken by despotic regimes to quell and censor political dissent. Far from threatening free speech rights, this legislation clearly and undeniably protects the creators of speech by combating its theft."

“We look forward to working with Chairman Leahy, the cosponsors of the bill, the members of the Judiciary Committee and their counterparts on the House Judiciary Committee to move the strongest and most effective legislation possible to enactment.”

Last edited by flying ^; 2011-05-13 at 04:47.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 04:27   Link #89
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
Spoiler for Long post:
It's such a surprise this has to come from artist unions and federations *sarcasm* This is definitely motivated by their desire for more money.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 04:34   Link #90
flying ^

in addition... here's the latest PSA that will hit theaters, terrestrial/cable/satellite TV, and youtube*

* you read it right... wanna watch latest video hits from J-Bieber on youtube? you gotta wait 30 sec to 1 min 'till CM dissapears.

flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 05:36   Link #91
HasuMasu
*Artist

wait wait wait

hold up there

this whole thing is news to me

i suppose i have the gist of it, but will it only affect americans?

this sounds like some serious shit

why did i not know about this!!!???
Old 2011-05-13, 05:43   Link #92
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
wait wait wait

hold up there

this whole thing is news to me

i suppose i have the gist of it, but will it only affect americans?

this sounds like some serious shit

why did i not know about this!!!???
It'll affect the US directly, the rest of the world indirectly. Europe is coming up with its own version of it too.
Old 2011-05-13, 06:02   Link #93
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
the rest of the world indirectly
how so sir?
Old 2011-05-13, 06:07   Link #94
Cellatore
Super Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Why is it ironic that Mexico is the voice of sanity? I don't get it. Is it because they are not a super power? Stigma? Drug wars?
There was a serious drug problem in Mexico where many gangs were suppressing the people in neighboring towns and villages near the drug cartels. People were afraid of them and they could do pretty much anything they wanted. It was like a secret military regime of drug dealers and gang members. I'm pretty sure this has gone down, but you never really think of Mexico as a place for freedom do you? Furthermore much of Mexico's economy does indeed come from drug operations whether they like it or not, that's not exactly the most innocent way of getting money now is it. Either way Mexico should still be respected as a country, not everybody in Mexico is a bad person; generalities skew the views of people, thus I felt it was ironic that Mexico was the voice of freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
It'll affect the US directly, the rest of the world indirectly. Europe is coming up with its own version of it too.
I would think it would directly affect other countries as well. I mean if a movie was made and shot in the UK, than if you pirate it the consequences won't directly be aimed towards the United States. It would be towards the UK and the movie producers.
Cellatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 06:24   Link #95
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
how so sir?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellatore View Post
I would think it would directly affect other countries as well. I mean if a movie was made and shot in the UK, than if you pirate it the consequences won't directly be aimed towards the United States. It would be towards the UK and the movie producers.
It's the fact that the bill is being passed in the US and is intended to act in the US market that makes the effect on the rest of the world technically indirect (altho the actual effect will be direct and perhaps even intentional, albeit not publicly).
Old 2011-05-13, 07:21   Link #96
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'll have more sympathy for the film industry when they're forced to slash the salaries they give their A-list actors(often a third to a half of the films gross revenues!).

I've got some sympathy for the indies though.

Also, why are the teamsters in on the announcement?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 10:11   Link #97
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

Summary:
Well, if 2ch guys and Nicodouga fans can create stuff by hacking the Kinect, they can hack this.

Nonetheless, this is a cat-and-mouse game where it makes the internet a place more dangerous for all of us. The CIA might want to look into developing the next generation of cryptography far beyond that of what PROTECT IP uses before other parts of the world start manufacturing copy F-22 Raptors - blueprints courtesy of open source decryption tools.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 16:19   Link #98
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Just found this

I suppose we'll at least not get (forced) internet filtering from ISPs anyway. Presumably a similiar argument could be used at the national level as well.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 17:01   Link #99
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well, if 2ch guys and Nicodouga fans can create stuff by hacking the Kinect, they can hack this.
Wait a second the Kinect is not scrambled. You can directly manipulate using the USB protocols, you just have to know the control codes to manipulate it. Its not scrambled or uses any sort of encryption.

In contrast, BR playback devices + the whole chain of hdmi hardware from BR player to HD-screen uses HD copy protection. A really nasty build in the hardware de/encryption mechanism.

The problem with these devices is, that they have key lists that are needed to decode copy protected HD material. If the HD distributors decide to not longer support a certain set of keys because it was hacked and too many pirated HD copies were distributed, then they simply change the set and your hardware will not be able to decrypt the new HD stuff anymore (unless you can do an update of some sorts, which is complicated for devices like graphic cards where the de/encoder is a chip that cannot be flashed ~ and therfore hardly hacked).

What this means is, that you are at the mercy of the HD content provider. He decides whether your hardware will be able to decode the HD material or not. Unless you are using HD material that is not protected, which of course will be available in a pirated form. This way the content providers can at least ensure, that the normal end user is not able to hack their system, so that it plays protected material. It doesn't stop pirates from using the latest hardware and workarounds to generate decrypted digital copies though.

However, now you have to download the stuff (rather huge files). And this can be tracked easier than somebody making a few private copies from a friend's BR.
Old 2011-05-16, 17:24   Link #100
Random32
Also a Lolicon

1. The Analog Hole. It has to be analog at some point. Not the best, but it will always work.

2. I thought it was ruled that IP != person. You have to bug their house and catch them downloading things that way to have a case in court. Can someone confirm?
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blacklist, coica, government, internet, petition