Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-03, 01:05   Link #721
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

ARENA 01: Tachibana Kanade [Hasegawa Kobato] Gokō Ruri (Kuroneko) Shiina Mashiro Aisaka Taiga Kuroyukihime Kōsaka Kirino
ARENA 02: Kinomoto Sakura Kyon no Imōto Neko [Fate Testarossa] Irisviel von Einzbern Hanekawa Tsubasa Sunohara Mei
ARENA 03: Takenaka Hanbee Nagase Iori Toshinō Kyōko Tomoe Mami [Katagiri Yūhi] Sonozaki Mion Kamio Misuzu
ARENA 04: Kotegawa Yui Hirasawa Ui Nymph Aragaki Ayase Sanka Rea [Akemi Homura] Konoe Subaru
ARENA 05: [Makino Kanna] Yagami Tsurugi
ARENA 06: [Amy] Suzuhara Izumiko
Old 2013-05-03, 20:10   Link #722
Sphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Let me rephrase what I posted earlier. Respect for the show or character don't get you much votes for ISML, but if you already have sufficient votes in ISML as well, it will help you keep the votes you got, no matter how you got those votes. Ami and Minori didn't have enough votes to keep them in league by 2011.

Also, in 2011, Taiga did beat Yuki and Azusa
Image noted

Similarly, you are conveniently forgetting that Taiga did this to earn her spot in phase II in 2012

Image noted

By the 2012 rules, written long time before 2012 regular season started, Yui-nyan had higher seed compared to Eucliwood since Yui-nyan lost to the winner of Nova while Eucliwood lost to the runner up. If you tell me that we manufactured Taiga's rise by predicting that Mio would 'upset' the higher seed and then do the following, I think you have too high of opinion of us

Image noted
I didn't get to reply earlier, so while waiting for results (I'll probably fall asleep first though), I might do so now.

The Toradora! name recognition I can understand. In the end Taiga gets a lot of neutral votes (aside from Kugyuu votes) because of Toradora! I am on board with that. But I do think its neutrals, not pure Toradora! fans. Because pure Toradora fans would have voted for the other Toradora characters (much like AB fans and SAO fans). Taiga is much like Eucliwood and Erio in that respect. But I guess in the end we are kinda agreeing here.

As for the ranking part, heh, I don't mean the tournament is manufactured specifically for Taiga or anything crazy like that. She just benefited from those early decisions you mentioned. Let's face it, Kuroneko beat Eucliwood in the 2012 circlet tourney, and gets rewarded by being forced into Kanade's path during the tiara tourney. Technically speaking, Kuroneko has every bit a right to claim for 2nd in the final ranking over Eucliwood, but history won't show that.

Part of that is just me being anal over how the tiara tourney wasn't handled like an official proper tourney (easiest example being a Tennis Grand Slam). Someone made mention that Kuroneko was placed in Kanade's half to avoid a repeat final in the tiara tourney (decided from before RS began, so I'm not implying some bias against Kuroneko, just that the initial call was bad in my opinion). With the Tennis GRand Slam example, imagine organisers placing Federer and Nadal to meet in the quarter-finals (and for arguments sake, we'll say they are ranked 1 and 2), simply to give more variety to the actual Grand Slam final match, instead of having the typical Federer vs Nadal repeat. That's horrible in my eyes, and that's how I see post-season 2 last year.

I also disagree with the fact that Yui was ranked higher than Eucliwood. Yui got to face Kanade exactly because she was weaker in RS, which suddenly becomes a positive thing. The obvious higher rank should've been Eucliwood, surely I can't be the only one who sees that. Even the final rankings reflect this (although I am arguing that the final ranking is moot....). So now, if this year is the same, it's much better to finish 4th in regular season than in 2nd or 3rd. Finishing 4th will provide for a better post-season 2 shot (granted, you still have to get there). Let me rephrase that, finishing 4th will provide for a better shot at winning the Tiara over finishing 2nd or 3rd. The RS ranking should have counted for more.

And I did forget those seeding results. You're right, those went Taiga's way. My only retort to that is that it was 'Seeding'. In 2011, Yuki and Azusa were finished. Taiga still had the draw of Shana. Shana beat Kanade, and those Shana fans had to vote for other characters too, isn't Taiga an obvious choice? And yes Mio beat Misaka in 2012, but again, the major draw there was Kanade vs Eucliwood. The big influx in voters had to vote for other characters too, and so everyone in the 'Seeding' matches were sloppy seconds. Is it so out there to think that some pure Misaka fans just gave up and decided to not vote? Seeding matches can't be held as high as double-elim. Now, I don't personally want double-elim since I like the '1 chance' notion, but I know that inherently screws with ranking.

And that's not even considering that Misaka was the defending tiara bearer.

The only thing you can garner accurately from the tiara tourney now is that the tiara winner deserves it. The final ranking is moot, so arguing Taiga getting better final rankings is moot. Taiga still being strong and not fading as much as others, that I'm not arguing against.
Old 2013-05-03, 22:04   Link #723
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Wait since when was Hanbee stronger than Mami or Kyouko? I'm very glad with the necklace results.
Old 2013-05-03, 22:14   Link #724
ion475
にこにこにー

For necklace...like anyone didn't expect Kanade winning. Kuroneko having her vote split into 3 (or even 4) (Kobato + Kirino...not to mention anyone that would have vote for Kuroneko that voted for Tenshi) doesn't help...

Mashiro do look strong, though.

For exhibition, Neko won as expected (I really don't know how she lose to Subaru...name recognition from last year maybe), Hanbee defeat expectation (But then, searching her...Loli voiced by Ogura Yui, no wonder LOL. Maybe I should watch that series just b/c of her). Ayase winning from that group of weaklings is no surprise (Current series ALWAYS help...).

The last two, well, Tamako being the more popular series (Although more like Sasami-san is just not that popular), while since both girls are fresh in memory, a closer battle between Suisei and RDG with Suisei getting the love b/c of Urobuchi...
Old 2013-05-03, 22:49   Link #725
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Mashiro as Number Two was surprising for me
Old 2013-05-03, 22:50   Link #726
Team Rocket Elite

Kanade fans clearly have no intention of messing around this year. Congrats on winning the Aquamarine necklace Kanade! Good effort by Mashiro to take second from Taiga. The top end of Nova may end up being competitive with the non-Kanade top end of Stella after all. SDO kinda messes with the match, though.

Neko fans decided to show up again. It's a bit too late to make the regular season, though.

While this probably isn't that surprising, Yuuhi is now a lot weaker than she used to be. She deserved better than getting axed in Round 1 of the preliminaries, though. Hanbei does well to take the win here.

Homura might have had a chance against pre-boost Ayase, but post-boost Ayase is out of her league. Ayase takes the win without trouble as expected.

Good to see Kanna win her match decisively. I don't really know Amy or Izumiko that well so I have no idea if the other 1 vs 1 match is a good result or not.
Old 2013-05-03, 23:28   Link #727
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
Mashiro as Number Two was surprising for me
Kuroneko did suffer by having to split vote with Kobato (mainly...since they're basically one and the same except Kobato is also an imouto) and Kirino (For Oreimo fan). Mashiro is probably stronger than Kobato, and obviously stronger than Hime. Taiga would win against Mashiro by being more well known in general, while Kuroneko would destroy her in a 1-on-1...(Kirino? She's just there anyway...she'll never be on the top just b/c of the amount of undeserved hate she gets...)
Old 2013-05-03, 23:32   Link #728
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Also, many Kuroneko and probably some Kobato fans as well voted Kanade just to get her out of the way (so they can fight properly when they're in more advantageous positions).
Old 2013-05-03, 23:42   Link #729
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Kuroneko did suffer by having to split vote with Kobato (mainly...since they're basically one and the same except Kobato is also an imouto) and Kirino (For Oreimo fan). Mashiro is probably stronger than Kobato, and obviously stronger than Hime. Taiga would win against Mashiro by being more well known in general, while Kuroneko would destroy her in a 1-on-1...(Kirino? She's just there anyway...she'll never be on the top just b/c of the amount of undeserved hate she gets...)
To be honest I think every contestants get "undeserved" hate (including CC and Eu even Tenshi) but I think people who does hate voting are a minority in this which is most likely the case.Since the tsunderes might be doing worse if hate voting wasn't the minority. So its just merely Kirino being weakest one in the match.
Old 2013-05-03, 23:47   Link #730
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
I didn't get to reply earlier, so while waiting for results (I'll probably fall asleep first though), I might do so now.

The Toradora! name recognition I can understand. In the end Taiga gets a lot of neutral votes (aside from Kugyuu votes) because of Toradora! I am on board with that. But I do think its neutrals, not pure Toradora! fans. Because pure Toradora fans would have voted for the other Toradora characters (much like AB fans and SAO fans). Taiga is much like Eucliwood and Erio in that respect. But I guess in the end we are kinda agreeing here.

As for the ranking part, heh, I don't mean the tournament is manufactured specifically for Taiga or anything crazy like that. She just benefited from those early decisions you mentioned. Let's face it, Kuroneko beat Eucliwood in the 2012 circlet tourney, and gets rewarded by being forced into Kanade's path during the tiara tourney. Technically speaking, Kuroneko has every bit a right to claim for 2nd in the final ranking over Eucliwood, but history won't show that.

Part of that is just me being anal over how the tiara tourney wasn't handled like an official proper tourney (easiest example being a Tennis Grand Slam). Someone made mention that Kuroneko was placed in Kanade's half to avoid a repeat final in the tiara tourney (decided from before RS began, so I'm not implying some bias against Kuroneko, just that the initial call was bad in my opinion). With the Tennis GRand Slam example, imagine organisers placing Federer and Nadal to meet in the quarter-finals (and for arguments sake, we'll say they are ranked 1 and 2), simply to give more variety to the actual Grand Slam final match, instead of having the typical Federer vs Nadal repeat. That's horrible in my eyes, and that's how I see post-season 2 last year.

I also disagree with the fact that Yui was ranked higher than Eucliwood. Yui got to face Kanade exactly because she was weaker in RS, which suddenly becomes a positive thing. The obvious higher rank should've been Eucliwood, surely I can't be the only one who sees that. Even the final rankings reflect this (although I am arguing that the final ranking is moot....). So now, if this year is the same, it's much better to finish 4th in regular season than in 2nd or 3rd. Finishing 4th will provide for a better post-season 2 shot (granted, you still have to get there). Let me rephrase that, finishing 4th will provide for a better shot at winning the Tiara over finishing 2nd or 3rd. The RS ranking should have counted for more.

And I did forget those seeding results. You're right, those went Taiga's way. My only retort to that is that it was 'Seeding'. In 2011, Yuki and Azusa were finished. Taiga still had the draw of Shana. Shana beat Kanade, and those Shana fans had to vote for other characters too, isn't Taiga an obvious choice? And yes Mio beat Misaka in 2012, but again, the major draw there was Kanade vs Eucliwood. The big influx in voters had to vote for other characters too, and so everyone in the 'Seeding' matches were sloppy seconds. Is it so out there to think that some pure Misaka fans just gave up and decided to not vote? Seeding matches can't be held as high as double-elim. Now, I don't personally want double-elim since I like the '1 chance' notion, but I know that inherently screws with ranking.

And that's not even considering that Misaka was the defending tiara bearer.

The only thing you can garner accurately from the tiara tourney now is that the tiara winner deserves it. The final ranking is moot, so arguing Taiga getting better final rankings is moot. Taiga still being strong and not fading as much as others, that I'm not arguing against.
There is the following change this year due to what happened last year.

3. The first round will feature the following matchups based on Contestant ranking at the end of Phase I: 1N vs. 8S, 5N vs. 4S, 2S vs. 7N, 3N vs. 6S, 6N vs. 3S, 2N vs. 7S, 4N vs. 5S, 8N vs. 1S.

If higher seed wins throughout, this would mean that in quarterfinals, Nova 1 will meet Stella 2 instead of Nova 2 like last year. The problem with last year was that except for Kanade, we overestimated the Stella league girls and seriously underestimated Kuroneko and Eucliwood.
Old 2013-05-03, 23:56   Link #731
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
To be honest I think every contestants get "undeserved" hate (including CC and Eu even Tenshi) but I think people who does hate voting are a minority in this (hopefully). So its just merely Kirino being weakest one in the match.
According to my analysis, most of the time, very few voters do hate vote, despite attempts to organize hate voting by many faction leaders. The time of exception usually is a match day with many matches too close to call.
Old 2013-05-03, 23:59   Link #732
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Awful results all around today, bleh. All the more reason to hate vote vs Kanade for the rest of ISML forever.

Ayase getting the extra was only remotely redeeming thing to it.
MAL
Old 2013-05-04, 00:34   Link #733
HasuMasu
*Artist

Kuroyukihime looks alright, Shiina probably stronger though.
Old 2013-05-04, 01:29   Link #734
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
To be honest I think every contestants get "undeserved" hate (including CC and Eu even Tenshi) but I think people who does hate voting are a minority in this which is most likely the case.Since the tsunderes might be doing worse if hate voting wasn't the minority. So its just merely Kirino being weakest one in the match.
I'm 100% sure that I'm the only one that hate Eu here

As far as Kirino...I'm referring more to the fact that she'll never be one of the "top guns" just b/c she's just not all that likable (or getting hated) with her personality. She did well last year but IMO it's more like Nova drops off quickly after where she finish anyway (tied with Niku and Kobato).
Old 2013-05-04, 02:28   Link #735
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Awful results all around today, bleh. All the more reason to hate vote vs Kanade for the rest of ISML forever.

Ayase getting the extra was only remotely redeeming thing to it.
Unless they changed something, Kanade can't get another necklace this year now.
Old 2013-05-04, 05:23   Link #736
CptChaos

I'm pretty sure by now Kanade will defend the tiara. I'm fine with that, but she totally seems to be in a league of her own.
Old 2013-05-04, 08:15   Link #737
broken270
Defying gravity

I think the tier list for this year has already been written out, but can someone remind be again what it is? I have it as:
Spoiler for Stella:

Spoiler for Nova:

I still think PS should have a DE bracket instead of a SE bracket (for the Tiara at least), but I am probably in the minority here.
Old 2013-05-04, 10:55   Link #738
Team Rocket Elite

For those interested, here are my character rankings from before Aquamarine 1 and after Aquamarine 7:

Before Aquamarine 1:
Spoiler for Character Ranking before Aquamarine 1:

After Aquamarine 7:
Spoiler for Character Ranking after Aquamarine 7:
Old 2013-05-04, 12:07   Link #739
DorkingtonPugsly

Not surprised, but not happy about her 2 years in a row win... Oh well
Old 2013-05-11, 17:52   Link #740
Sphire

Hmm, day 1's will always be interesting now that Misaka isn't level 1. She's going to face a top character every time (I think). I'll call it now, necklace winner to be decided by Kuroneko vs Misaka. Great timing too.

It will be interesting to see how Hina fares against Haruhi after her episode of Hayate, although I'm pretty sure many neutrals aren't watching it. Shana vs Azusa could be interesting, depending on how many voters turn up. The rest seem rather straight forward.

And while I do think the necklace winner will be between Misaka and Kuroneko, I'd love to see Kuroyukihime get in. I'm still not sold on how strong she is though. Will just have to wait and see.

Side note: I always love seeing Suigintou's Amethyst necklace picture. Possible my favourite pic of them all.

Tags
isml, saimoe