AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-04, 02:25   Link #401
warita
Dai-Youkai

It doesnt surprise me that Taichi has self confidence problems with a mother such as he has. She pounded it into him since earliest childhood, that he has to be the best of the best and if he cant, then he is a failure. Sadly, it was a great dis-service to Taichi. (I have sort of a mother like that, so I know what I am talking about. Maybe mine is not as hard core, but she also has this attitude, that one can never do enough and her favourite past time during my childhood was to compare me to loads of other perfect children. Oh and whenever I accidentaly discovered something I could be proud of, my mother made sure to diss it).

I do wonder, if mothers like these actually really think, that this will motivate their kids to become better ..... because it had the very opposite effect on me.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 03:49   Link #402
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Not only that, but he's expected to maintain the appearance of being perfect.
Whereas all the guys got jealous because every girl wants to throw themselves, their panties, their towels at Taichi at his beck and call, what they don't realise is how much Taichi actually considers it a weakness to ask for help.

That face Taichi makes after seeing Chihaya offer her towel, is it a moment of happiness that Chihaya does look at him, a moment of regret that he appeared weak in front of her, or both?
The former seems obvious, but I do wonder if there is a little bit of the latter mixed in as well.

Quote:
Arata's dad: You should really try to keep in touch or your friends in Tokyo will forget about you.
Arata: Really? I doubt it.
Someone give me some shades, Arata is shining too bright!
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 04:07   Link #403
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Whereas all the guys got jealous because every girl wants to throw themselves, their panties, their towels at Taichi at his beck and call, what they don't realise is how much Taichi actually considers it a weakness to ask for help.
I never got that impression myself. To begin with there aren't many situations when he would need help so there's no way to tell if he really feels that way.
Old 2013-02-04, 04:23   Link #404
Blaat

It's not a weakness, it's an embarrassment. Like it's an embarrassment to lose in front of your friends or to practise arm swings in public. People who are insecure are often also self-conscious about their self-image.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Arata is really talented. Truth is, he doesn't have neither Chihaya's enhanced hearing nor her reaction time, and he doesn't even have Taichi's memory.
I thought Arata did have bit of both but not as good as Chihaya and Taichi in their respective field.
Old 2013-02-04, 04:39   Link #405
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I thought Arata did have bit of both but not as good as Chihaya and Taichi in their respective field.
He doesn't. He's not talented. He's skilled, and highly so.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2013-02-04 at 04:51.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 05:04   Link #406
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I never got that impression myself. To begin with there aren't many situations when he would need help so there's no way to tell if he really feels that way.
Poor choice of words on my part, I meant help ask for a towel.
But then again, it's surprising how much help he does get (eg. advice from Harada-sensei), even if he never asks for it (but clearly needs them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
It's not a weakness, it's an embarrassment. Like it's an embarrassment to lose in front of your friends or to practise arm swings in public. People who are insecure are often also self-conscious about their self-image.
I see it in the sense that when he looks like he's putting so much effort into something, and still lose, then he just appears weak.
If he doesn't look like he's trying too hard, and lose, then he could just easily deflect it off (in the eyes of others).
When you look at the current Meijin and Queen, who appear to win almost effortlessly, he would look comparatively weak.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 05:14   Link #407
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
But then again, it's surprising how much help he does get (eg. advice from Harada-sensei), even if he never asks for it (but clearly needs them).
That's because they feel inspired by him. Harada-sensei in particular admires Taichi a lot (though he would probably never tell him so ). They all can see how much effort he puts on this, and they all know he's got what it takes. Even Arata knows this deep down I think.
Old 2013-02-04, 11:26   Link #408
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Kinda hoping that in the end Taichi will become a Master using his remarkable logic and memorizing skill

since Arata is stronger contender for Chihaya's love plotwise and it's kinda sad if in the end, after all his efforts and sacrifices, he still end up with nothing
Old 2013-02-04, 12:31   Link #409
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
since Arata is stronger contender for Chihaya's love plotwise and it's kinda sad if in the end, after all his efforts and sacrifices, he still end up with nothing
Although it would also be sort of ironic even though I assume Arata loves Chihaya, it's Taichi's feelings that come across clearer in this regard.

And from the beginning it was Arata not Taichi who said his dream is to become a Karuta Master.

But I am fine with either scenario Arata ends with Chihaya and Taichi becomes the Master

or Taichi ends up with Chihaya and Arata becomes the Master.

Chihaya will become the Queen and end up with either Taichi or Arata so she wins either way. Unless a twist she ends up with neither.
Old 2013-02-04, 12:38   Link #410
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But I am fine with either scenario Arata ends with Chihaya and Taichi becomes the Master or Taichi ends up with Chihaya and Arata becomes the Master.
What's the matter with a ménage à trois? That would certainly please the fujoshi in the crowd who want to ship Arata x Taichi, while making the Arata x Chihaya and Taichi x Chihaya folks happy as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 13:19   Link #411
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
What's the matter with a ménage à trois? That would certainly please the fujoshi in the crowd who want to ship Arata x Taichi, while making the Arata x Chihaya and Taichi x Chihaya folks happy as well.
Have you ever seen the film or read the play Design for Living? That is one of my favorite Menage a Trois.

I'd be all for it but somehow I don't see it happening.
Old 2013-02-04, 13:51   Link #412
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Technically that would a ménage à quatre, with karuta being the fourth in this arrangement.
Old 2013-02-05, 13:27   Link #413
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

If all of those women could swing at cards as fast as they can throw towels, Chihaya would never win another tournament as long as she lived.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 02:14   Link #414
garbage

ah episode 4, chihaya-furu delivers as expected.

loved that towel scene, and chaya- almost bowling over tsukue-kun to offer hers, nice that Taichi-kun to choose hers ( of course who wouldn't ^^ )
loved how they can make it so exciting and action packed for a card game! especially after that towel scene. great anime here...

and Taichi being taichi but growing
Old 2013-02-08, 15:49   Link #415
LKK

Every time an episode of Chihayafuru ends, I feel jipped. A 10-minute show is just not what I signed up for. In all seriousness, I really am amazed at how engrossing each episode has been. Ep 5 is no exception. I couldn't believe the show was over when it was over.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 16:00   Link #416
Blaat

If you ask me ending an episode middle of a match should be forbidden, not saying 'but'.
Old 2013-02-08, 16:17   Link #417
Kazu-kun

Not as good as episode 4, but pretty good nonetheless.
Old 2013-02-08, 17:12   Link #418
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was definitely an enthralling episode. I screamed at my screen when it abruptly ended. I needed another twenty minutes!

Retro-kun was actually kind of... cool!? this week. He even got a girlfriend, lol.
I figured Hokuo's secret weapon would somehow be related to Sudo, but I didn't expect him to come back as a reader. That was a nice surprise. I see he hasn't changed and is still as much of a sadist as usual. He put a lot of pressure on Hokuo and forced them to bring out their maximum potential. Even so, I was shocked Nishida lost so easily against them. Sure, there were a lot of reasons for this loss (or excuses as Taichi would call them), but at the end of the day, he still lost miserably.

On the other hand, Kanade (or Boin-chan ) is being pretty impressive. She's well on her way to win against a B class player. Chihaya isn't doing so hot right now but that's because she was practicing emulating Shinobu's style. She should be able to win if she fights seriously. Taichi and Retro-kun are closely matched, hard to tell who will win. As for Komano, his exact situation is unknown, however, Taichi said he's in a close match so he also has a chance to win.

I'm confident Mizusawa will win this.
Old 2013-02-08, 17:58   Link #419
Arya

Ah-a, I knew the moment I first saw Retro-kun's face that he willingly wouldn't have performed his magic this time, as much as I knew Nishida would have lost the moment her sister appeared beside Retro-kun. The flashback about her stating she got a boyfriend just sealed the deal. So, I can't really blame Nishida Kana-chan was cool, as always I dare say.
So, very enjoyable episode, though not as much as the previous one. Surely Chihaya's match wasn't so intriguing, due to the fact, stated by his opponent, that she basically was playing a practice match so it lacked the tension tough matches usually deliver.
Honorable mention to the way the show reintroduced Sudo as a reader. It really added up with the episode.
I also checked the elapsed time bar screaming when the ED started playing

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 18:48   Link #420
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I kinda agree with the Hokuo guys. Having Sudo as a reader is giving them the homefield advantage. Not entirely fair.

Nishida's lost, but I hope the others will win. I'm psyched up for ep 6, what with Chihaya only now starting to play seriously.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cards, josei, karuta, sports