AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-10-27, 15:55   Link #61
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Ended up watching it. I'll address the elephant in the room right away, the show looks terrible (character models and animations seriously look like they're from the PS2 era), but if you can get past that, it's actually a pretty good show in line with the previous entries. I think the fact the old cast came back helps A LOT with the immersion. My main complaint would be that they dropped the "SAC aspect". There's only one stand alone story, which incidentally happens to be the best episode of the season.

The first few episodes weren't very good, but it gets a lot better once Togusa comes back and we're introduced to the post-humans. I'm not sure where they're going with that storyline, but they've got my attention.
Old 2021-03-14, 22:30   Link #62
Ghosty 404

Any thoughts about the second part of the series coming out in April 2021 ?

I'm wondering if Togasa is a secret awakened.
Ghosty 404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-15, 08:15   Link #63
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty 404 View Post
Any thoughts about the second part of the series coming out in April 2021 ?
Just that I'm glad we finally have a date and that I'm looking forward to it.
Old 2021-03-15, 14:30   Link #64
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Here's a more fair review from a fellow GITS fan:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
To be fair to Netflix, I think it's only called a season because anime viewers are used to that.
Their own cartoon series got divided into "parts" (See Paradise PD, disenchantment) for a while now.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-10, 09:02   Link #65
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Some recent BTS stuffs. Too bad I don't know what they're saying.

YouTube
Old 2021-11-10, 19:01   Link #66
Alchemist007
*Author

There's auto-translated CC in there, but it's god awful.
Old 2022-02-24, 02:13   Link #67
saya_leviathan

Season 2 will be released on May 2022.

Teaser trailer here:
https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/sta...66191745720320
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-24, 03:24   Link #68
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

YouTube

Fucking finally! Been waiting a long time after that cliffhanger.
Old 2022-02-24, 14:56   Link #69
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

This is a very welcoming announcement. SAC had always been superior in my mind, and I couldn't bring myself to like Arise.

Hell, Final Gear's current GiTS 2045 event probably did not start today by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saya_leviathan View Post
Season 2 will be released on May 2022.

Teaser trailer here:
https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/sta...66191745720320
- Tak (Hmm... purin...)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-24, 20:02   Link #70
Ghosty 404

They've been busy with Blade Runner: Black Lotus. Now that's done. It's time to get to GitS

(maybe I expected too much from Black Lotus. It left me feeling dissatisfied.)
Ghosty 404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-27, 06:36   Link #71
saya_leviathan

New Trailer
YouTube

Surprised that Scott Matthews (who sang "Lithium Flower") came back for an insert song.
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-27, 07:54   Link #72
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Saw some 1984 quotes there.

Also the trailer spoiled Purin's real allegiance.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-27, 14:53   Link #73
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Also the trailer spoiled Purin's real allegiance.
I suspected as much, but it was still pretty annoying to get a confirmation in a fucking trailer.
Old 2022-05-15, 17:06   Link #74
Uribatake

I just watched the Sustainable War compilation movie that recaps the first season, and it actually includes a new scene at the end revealing what happened to Togusa after his disappearance, plus a preview of the second season that includes some footage that's not present in Netflix's trailer. Well worth watching if you want a refresher on what happened in season 1 without rewatching all 12 episodes.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-17, 07:57   Link #75
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Saw it. Yeah, what happened to Togusa...

Damn.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-18, 05:47   Link #76
Amayashi

I didn't even know there is a recap movie. I don't like that ugly CGI, but would love to watch it before the 2nd season, because the storyline is very solid.
Old 2022-05-23, 23:55   Link #77
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
New season started today.
Old 2022-05-24, 17:01   Link #78
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I watched the first two episodes of S2, did the fps always drop drastically when they fire their guns? It looks like stop-motion at times. Other than that, the action has been pretty damn great.
Old 2022-05-25, 15:04   Link #79
Kazu-kun

Pretty good.

Just like SAC 2nd GIG , SAC 2045 is rich in political commentary. Kenji Kamiyama has always been pretty critical of US' aggressive foreign politics and profit-based culture in his works, and SAC 2045 is not different. If you don't like that sort of thing SAC 2045 will probably just make you roll your eyes. But if you don't mind or if you actually agree with Kamiyama's point of view, then SAC 2045 can be pretty interesting and maybe even kind of thought-provoking.

My only criticism is that we don't get to see what choice Kusanagi made at the end. The posthumans basically put the weight of the world on her shoulders and I wanted to see what choice she would make. But other than that, it was good. Much better than Arise for sure. It was much closer to how Ghost in the Shell should be in my mind. Not just philosophical but also very political.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2022-05-25 at 22:59.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 19:08   Link #80
Ghostfriendly

'Big Bad America' perhaps isn't much of a political commentary. If 'nothing has changed since the end of WWII', a significant line from Old Monkeyface, why hasn't it? The US is condemned without its internal politics being explored at all. More to the point, which country's crimes were a major cause of US heavy-handedness towards Japan, including the use of nuclear weapons? America isn't blameless, but I'm just as annoyed when their TV shows, films or politicians cast themselves as such.

Japan and its situation certainly have changed since the 1940s, but the idea that this means repealing Article 9 is a step backwards to WWII, such as the antagonists in Eden of the East and GITS SAC2 plot towards. The idea that this means that America isn't going to do anything to Japan that it can get away with is moonshine. American global power, and the nature of power, haven't significantly changed. Being pushed around by America doesn't make Japan uniquely victimised in the modern world; it's even nothing that Japan wouldn't do in America's place. Cultural chauvinism, corruption and profit-seeking aren't American monopolies. GITS Japan certainly is an incredibly corrupt nation riddled with corporate and political conspiracies, where security services can spy on or assassinate practically anyone.

While I think post nuclear war 'American Empire' power is rather reduced in the GITS universe, and Japanese power increased, the gap is clearly wide enough that this makes no real difference. 2045 does truthfully reflect that the classic cyberpunk dream of Japanese global dominance is a dead duck. The message of GITS at its best has always been about seeking a new plane of existence beyond the present system of selfish force and corruption; a sensible message for Japan and every other country to move beyond war and profiteering.

It's really GITS that hasn't changed since the 80s, certainly not in its knee-jerk superficial anti-Americanism. Though previous iterations didn't go so far as to feature a minstrel show, in the incredibly degraded person of Clown. Or a barrage of meaningless 1984 references. The theme of nostalgic desire for the certainties of continuing war, and a strong pseudo-familial authority figure, actually had a faint connection to 1984, but alas this theme was undeveloped and everything else was buzzwords thematically unrelated to anything in either 1984 or this series. It may not be coincidence that the recent bestselling Murakami novel 1Q84 was also a pretentious and superficial distortion of themes from what wasn't actually an especially good novel in the first place, albeit Murakami's fundamental prose writing skills are much better than his material.

To be really controversial, I thought this anime much better than most of the shows we get nowadays; it seems I find racist tropes more tolerable than sexist ones. Strong ops and eds as always, the nostalgia value of our old friends from Section 9, a decent new girl in Purin. A plot that never stops moving with a gravitas and significance that you just don't see every day, to a very respectable ending. More than the situation of America and Japan, it's GITS that never changes; far more powerful, deep, influential and relevant than Lupin III, the Major is truly the Japanese James Bond. Whether she pulled or left the wires in the end, we know her Japan is going to stay the same the more it changes, perhaps until we really all upload ourselves. I'd say she pulled the wires, though; Mokoto has always been about the search for higher, enlightened understanding. Even if section 9's job is to conceal the truth from the majority, lost in suffering and illusion, who can't handle it, she's not going to like anything imposed on humanity that makes seeking the truth even harder for the few with the strength to look

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2022-05-27 at 19:08.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, ghost in the shell, new anime, sci-fi, shiro masamune