AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

Old 2008-03-04, 07:35   Link #121
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Which is why I'm really hoping people boycott (actively or passively) the release, since if this performs comparable to anime sold at current average MSRP, all our wallets are in a heap of trouble. Heck, I might even organize something myself...

I'm all about buying R1 DVD's, even when I have fansubs sitting on the hard drive, but this just feels like price-gouging to me.
You probably don't have to worry! This is not really costing them anything because they actually are not paying for a license. Any extra sales they get is just gravy for them. If they sell at least 1000 unit for each volume they will make about the same amount they could have sold the show at $10000 per episode. $10000 per episode is a very cheap license now days.

Last edited by golthin; 2008-03-04 at 12:03.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 11:48   Link #122
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
You probably don't have to worry! This is not really costing them anything because they actually are not paying for a license. Any extra sales they get is just gravy for them. If they sell at least 1000 unit for each volume they will make about the same amount they could have sold the show at $10000 per episode. $100000 per episode is a very cheap license now days.
Right -- even if they had done what some licensors are doing now, and providing the shows with zero advances (i.e. no licensing fee, just a portion of the proceeds of each sale), they probably assume that they amount they'd get back this way won't be that much worse. If this sells even 1000 copies, I'd be quite surprised (not because it's a bad show, but given the price/volume count), but whatever it does sell, it's that many more than whatever the R2 DVDs sold in Japan.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 12:52   Link #123
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Heh -- well, even though it's sub only, this is about the fastest release we've ever seen compared to the Japanese DVDs (except for shows that were financed directly by American companies). Basically, it's just the time it takes for them to get the finalized Japanese DVD content, translate it, get it printed/produced, and shipped to the U.S. So yeah, I think you had pretty high expectations of turnaround...

In terms of the volume count, it'll be on 7 DVDs in all, just like the Japanese release. The first disc has one episode, and the rest have two each. As for why it's like that? Well, basically, because that's the way the Japanese DVDs are, and the reason it's coming out so quickly is that they're more-or-less appropriating the Japanese DVDs, translating them, and releasing them here with subtitles. The price is a similar logic -- it's priced more-or-less the same as the Japanese DVDs (about $5 cheaper/disc MSRP).

In terms of extras, it seems like the disc will include a short bonus animation, the textless opening, and a booklet. Sort of standard in terms of Bandai Visual Japan extras go at that price point. (Believe it or not, this is one of the cheaper Japanese pricepoints for a 1-cour show.)

In any case, as I probably said before, I'm looking forward to it because I was going to buy the Japanese DVDs anyway. The fact that this is a bit cheaper and with subtitles works out nicely for me.

Oh, I didnt know how it was compared to japanese companies . Is Bandai planning to release a dub too?

Last edited by Whitemoon648; 2008-03-04 at 13:14.
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 13:35   Link #124
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Oh, I didnt know how it was compared to japanese companies . Is Bandai planning to release a dub too?
It doesn't seem like it. These DVDs will be subtitle-only.
Old 2008-03-04, 18:17   Link #125
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Err... you guys are missing my point.
If this sells well, companies who actually have to pay for a license will wake up and double their prices overnight. Bandai not having to pay for a license just makes this worse, in my opinion, since they have so little invested in the R1 release.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 18:29   Link #126
golthin

Quote:
If this sells well, companies who actually have to pay for a license will wake up and double their prices overnight. Bandai not having to pay for a license just makes this worse, in my opinion, since they have so little invested in the R1 release.
you are missing our point! They will be lucky is they sell 1000 units per volume, that will be 7000 DVD total. To be successful, it will have to sell at least 5000 or more units per volume or a total of 35000 DVD. Most DVD sell about 5000 units per volume in japan and the best selling anime usually go for 10000 plus per volume. So them selling 1000 here will really help boots their total sales, they are not hoping to be successful, just to add to the total combined sales. the only way that I see them abandoning this business model is for them to begin to make a loss just counting the sales here in the USA against authoring, distribution and packaging!
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 21:52   Link #127
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Well, do you really think true tears has the potential to be a breakout sales success even at the usual DVD pricing? This is a genre that has traditionally sold at best "okay", and at worse very, very poorly. That's not really a reflection of the quality of the shows, it's just a reflection of the DVD-buying public. So I'm really not worried about "what if it sells!" or other companies following suit. This only works because Bandai Visual USA doesn't care at all about appealing to a mainstream audience. Funimation and ADV will never copy this strategy, because that's not their business model. If anything, they're moving in the opposite direction (cheaper season sets, as opposed to pricey singles).
Old 2008-03-04, 22:49   Link #128
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
you are missing our point!
No, I got that, it just wasn't relevant to what I was talking about.

What relentlessflame said, was, and I suppose he's right in that there's no real cause for worry. I hope.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 03:02   Link #129
kenshinvn

God, once I knew about licensed True Tears, my happiness did not have enough time to dig into my soul then just flew away after seeing the coming 7 volumes DVD. Though I'm an employee, spending those money for R1 True Tears is quite a problem. Compared to other series, True Tears does not have most affection for me to buy such in high price like this. I surrender and if I am lucky enough, I will buy it if I can find a better price.
Old 2008-03-16, 12:39   Link #130
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
exactly ^^ i mean i LOVE this show to death.....and Im a huge supporter of getting dvd's after i've seen the fansubs (well if they exist) but......40 bucks for 2 episodes...thats just WAY to much.
i mean my Ah! my goddess box set was 60 for 26 episodes, in a thinpack? why can't they do that LOL?
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 15:48   Link #131
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Release got delayed!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...rue-tears-sola

This could be a shining hope for us, I think?
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 15:52   Link #132
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Release got delayed!

So, did Bandai Visual actually grow a brain and realize that their outrageous pricing will earn them 0 sales?
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 16:01   Link #133
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Or it could be they might do straight Blu-ray releases. It could be many things!
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 19:02   Link #134
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Or it could be they might do straight Blu-ray releases. It could be many things!
Or finally decided that doing a Dub verison will bring more money in and selling 1 - 2 eps on DVD for $40.00 plus is crazy.
Old 2008-03-19, 22:54   Link #135
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
Or finally decided that doing a Dub verison will bring more money in and selling 1 - 2 eps on DVD for $40.00 plus is crazy.
I'd be surprised if they were to consider typical R1 strategies. The company knows that other distributors are in trouble, so why would they walk straight into that trap?

My guess is that they're evaluating the possibility of Blu-Ray only releases.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 01:45   Link #136
nuaythebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
I'd be surprised if they were to consider typical R1 strategies. The company knows that other distributors are in trouble, so why would they walk straight into that trap?

My guess is that they're evaluating the possibility of Blu-Ray only releases.
The only company that has some trouble is ADV and they are back on track right now.... In fact BV is already in their own trap. After reading their blog at dot anime, I have a feeling that BV is going to be next geneon.
nuaythebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 05:37   Link #137
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuaythebest View Post
After reading their blog at dot anime, I have a feeling that BV is going to be next geneon.
Nah, actually, I felt the blog post was surprisingly clear considering it's coming from a CEO. Seems like they're repositioning executives in order to move forward full-steam ahead on Blu-Ray. Really, if you think about the whole Bandai Visual business model, it really makes a lot more sense when you're talking Blu-Ray anyway (no region code). So, certainly, I think the realization that the content/price point isn't what the market wants is part of it, but the answer is pointing more towards "let's just put the subtitles on the Blu-Ray disc, and do a worldwide release of that". It reduces a lot of the packaging and distribution costs (by reducing the number of SKUs), and people will generally be willing to pay more for HD content. If you're going to be a "boutique" anime retailer, you just have to sell what people want to buy. For DVDs, the ship has already sailed.
Old 2008-03-20, 11:38   Link #138
tejvenim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH View Post
exactly ^^ i mean i LOVE this show to death.....and Im a huge supporter of getting dvd's after i've seen the fansubs (well if they exist) but......40 bucks for 2 episodes...thats just WAY to much.
i mean my Ah! my goddess box set was 60 for 26 episodes, in a thinpack? why can't they do that LOL?
40 bucks for 2 episodes

Total about 260 bucks for 13 episodes

Assume that true tears sell for 4000 copies (japan and US combined), that's only 1040000.

Divide by writer, artist, voice actors, director, musician, producers, etc (assume 40 staffs), you get 26000 per person.

Seriously this is a very crappy income for them, 26000 per person for a good show like true tears.

Note: i didn't factor in other costs, such as transport cost, packaging, DVD, promotion and advertising, etc

I won't consider 40 bucks for 2 episodes as expensive, I consider it reasonable pricing as many anime suffer from bad dvd sales (note: school days was all hype up, but in the end average sales was only about 3500 copies, kimikiss is very popular on animesuki forum but average sales is less than 2000 copies)

Last edited by tejvenim; 2008-03-21 at 08:42.
tejvenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 08:08   Link #139
arkxkra
全力全開

Quote:
Release got delayed!

omg, if it straingt blue ray then I no need buy(still dun have blueray player..), but I guess won't so fast go for blue ray since the anime still new. Hopefully their pricing strategy will change abit...
Old 2008-03-29, 21:43   Link #140
JCMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejvenim View Post
40 bucks for 2 episodes

Total about 260 bucks for 13 episodes

Assume that true tears sell for 4000 copies (japan and US combined), that's only 1040000.

Divide by writer, artist, voice actors, director, musician, producers, etc (assume 40 staffs), you get 26000 per person.

Seriously this is a very crappy income for them, 26000 per person for a good show like true tears.

Note: i didn't factor in other costs, such as transport cost, packaging, DVD, promotion and advertising, etc

I won't consider 40 bucks for 2 episodes as expensive, I consider it reasonable pricing as many anime suffer from bad dvd sales (note: school days was all hype up, but in the end average sales was only about 3500 copies, kimikiss is very popular on animesuki forum but average sales is less than 2000 copies)
They do money when it's airing too you know...
JCMS is offline   Reply With Quote