Notices

Old 2007-07-19, 17:22   Link #1
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bigdave
Gimp Help

Okay so I use the image editor GIMP

and recently it seems that I can't carry out some of the functions as in scripts that do things for u in it.

Everytime I try to it comes up with fork(could not allocate enough memory)

SO i thought it meant I needed more memory so i deleted some things from the brushes section and still nothing and I can't even save my works anymore >,<#

well I hope someone experienced with GIMP could tell me how to Allocate more memory to my GIMP or whatever is needed.

bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 19:04   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Let's start with some basics:

1) What platform are you using? Windows, Mac, Linux, something else? I use the GIMP on Fedora Linux and have never seen a "could not allocate memory" error. I've had 20+ images open at once with a number of other hefty applications like Firefox, Thunderbird, and Azureus all running as well.

2) How much memory does your computer have? If you have a lot of images open, that will eat up your memory in a hurry. 256 MB of RAM may not be enough, unless you have a lot of swap. Which brings me to:

3) Do you have a swap file? Is it at least twice as large as your real memory ("RAM")?

4) Are you running out of disk space? In Windows, swap exists as an ordinary file and shares space with all the rest of the files you've stored on the disk. There might not be enough space left for the GIMP to expand the swap area to the size it needs.

All image-manipulation programs eat memory, especially ones like the GIMP that let you open dozens of different images at the same time. If you're not running out of disk space, try seeing whether you get the same problems when you open only one image? Two? Four? Eight?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 20:59   Link #3
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Afaik fork does only work on Unix/Linux systems. A fork does make a copy of an entire process. Typically used when a fast, stable and state secure undo is needed (child/parent processes). In the case of executing a script, it could be that the program tries to fork to recover from possible crashes or endless loops that are caused by executing the script. So if forking the process doesn't work, then one has to assume that the running process is bigger as the available memory that is left (including swap file). If this is not the case I strongly assume a software bug.
Old 2007-07-19, 21:23   Link #4
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283

You can increase the tile cache but if the Gimp runs out of that it'll swap to disk so I'm not sure thats really going to fix anything.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 23:24   Link #5
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bigdave
hehe thx alot Jinto and Epyn and Seiji I think it was the first thing u mentioned Seiji

I had too many things opened and my comp is pretty freaking old xD
I just restarted my comp and when I went back and opened my file and tryed to save it as jpg it worked.

right now IM trying to save up to buy a new comp but meh for the time being it seems i am stuck using this old comp. at least the Linux I installed onto it is decent.

good thing I could save a gimp xcf file be4 cuz if i didn't I would so be pissed cuz I was working on a sig. ^^;

bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 08:20   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

When you installed Linux did it ask you to create a swap partition on the hard drive? If you don't have a dedicated partition, then Linux works the same as Windows keeping the swap area as an ordinary file.

If you did set up a dedicated partition, it might be too small. If you're using memory-hungry programs like the GIMP, swap should probably be at least a GB. If it's too small, you can augment your swap resources by creating a swap file and combining it with the swap partition. I found a couple of different articles describing how to do this by Googling for 'linux swap file'.
Old 2012-08-09, 05:37   Link #7
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Gimp User 2.8

Question: How to add a border in an animated gif faster/quicker? I do mine frame by frame...

Imagine if a gif has 40+ frames, its really time consuming.... Please.... thank you.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 07:58   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Question: How to add a border in an animated gif faster/quicker? I do mine frame by frame...
You only need one set of borders, merged into the background.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=716

There are some other tutorials in that thread that discuss using the GIMP to make animated GIFs.
Old 2012-08-09, 18:58   Link #9
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
OK, thanks, I'll try that...!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote