AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 35 24.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 31.72%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 42 28.97%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 7.59%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 4.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.69%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.69%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.69%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-11, 04:59   Link #41
Deathscyther

Wow, Yui's sister looks a lot like Nagisa O.o; So the airheadedness runs in the family

Anyways, I liked the episode. 8/10
Old 2009-04-11, 06:02   Link #42
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

How Tsumugi got the discount for the guitar were quite a surprise. But read how Vash002 describe the event seriously cracked me up

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Vash002
Later they go back to check guitars, and then, something awesome happens. TSUMUGI SAVES THE GODDAMN DAY, GOES TO THE OWNER AND ASKS HIM TO GIVE HER A GODDAMN GUITAR. THIS GUY FREAKS OUT LIKE WTF DUDE WHO ARE YOU, BUT TSUMUGI IT'S LIKE BEHOLD! MY EYEBROWS! AND THIS GUY GOES BANANA CRAZY AND GIVES HER THE GUITAR.
Then we also have vandakiara's "Eyebrows power" ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandakiara View Post
What's a power this ojou-sama have. Even more portable than credit card

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2009-04-11 at 06:23.
Old 2009-04-11, 07:28   Link #43
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I don't think you can consider that "filler" here...
Yeah, I realize it's all slice of life but in this case, non of what they did mattered anyway as the solution they came up with was the same as in the manga: Just have Tsumugi "Barter" the price down.
Old 2009-04-11, 07:36   Link #44
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Yeah, I realize it's all slice of life but in this case, non of what they did mattered anyway as the solution they came up with was the same as in the manga: Just have Tsumugi "Barter" the price down.
Still, the filler did introduce all characters and their personality quite well. Even much better than the part when they go to the guitar shop.

I didn't read the manga, and i don't think i can spot out which part is "anime original" without reading this forum. So whether or not it's filler, it does not matter
Old 2009-04-11, 07:51   Link #45
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The difference lies in HOW they have come to Tsumugi's barter. While the 4koma have been straightforward about it, KyoAni padded it with the part-time job. It did serve to highlight the characters' traits while cementing their relationship. Then instead of having Yui coming off as "Uguu, I want that guitar.", it is more like "I was about to buy a cheaper guitar, but damn I really want that one." (a rather human reaction if you ask me) and the following action of Tsumugi really does come as the act of a budding friendship, more than the 4koma did.

EDIT:

That's the difference between good and bad fillers.

The good fillers are those like Saint Seiya's Asgard arc that not only added more to the characters but also bridged with the canon arc very well. The filler part in K-On episode 2 added more to the characters, especially Yui.

Then there are the bad fillers, you know them if you have watched Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon and any looong running series. Let's not get started on Rurouni Kenshin, killed by fillers even before they got to the Jinchu arc.
Old 2009-04-11, 08:26   Link #46
Tiberium Wolf

Omg... talking about fillers already? It's a damn 4koma. Don't expect it to have much content. Of course Kyoani needs to fill it with more contents.
Old 2009-04-11, 09:51   Link #47
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

^^
What he said.

Lovely episode. The "occupational disease", the glimpses of the girl's normal personalities and the "eyebrow power" (that was just freakin' funny, btw) cemented this show as a favorite, for me. 10/10.

Old 2009-04-11, 10:58   Link #48
Dop
Mmmm....

Sub-forum! Woo-hoo! (It's all about the Mio - see shiny new icon).

I guess now Yui's got her guitar we're going to see them go from being the light tea and cake club to the light music club, although I'm surprised Tsumugi didn't use her ojousama powers beforehand.

Some friends of mine have actually DONE the traffic counting job - although the highlight was when Ritsu started tapping away on the counting machine.
Old 2009-04-11, 11:10   Link #49
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

I know this is an anime but...

Spoiler for Ep 2. spoiler, for the music geeks watching:

Other than that, I'm enjoying the show.
Old 2009-04-11, 11:28   Link #50
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Don't know why some people were surprised with the counting traffic job.
Here it's normal to do it for school (or university) projects, and have to do it using pen and paper, not that fancy cool tool. Then not only counting number of cars, we have to count how many cars turn left, right, run straight in certain intersection. How many passengers were in each car. How many public transport, bicycles and passengers were passing by.

If you were unlucy to choose a busy section during peak hour, and then have to count at the rate of 5000-ish car per hour. Then you won't find the girls' "occupational disease" strange ^^
Old 2009-04-11, 11:30   Link #51
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan poor View Post
I know this is an anime but...

Spoiler for Ep 2. spoiler, for the music geeks watching:

Other than that, I'm enjoying the show.
It is probably a Gibson Les Paul with a Fender neck........I have heard of "stitched" together guitars before, mainly because the musician wants a more custom guitar with its own feel.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-04-11, 12:10   Link #52
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is probably a Gibson Les Paul with a Fender neck........

Wow. I'll just have to comment that you don't hang around musicians much do you?

Bring that up on a guitar forum or 3, and see the responses. PM me the links for the

The rest of the show with the guitar looks like it has the proper "Gibson" on the headstock as I check it. It's more likely just a quick Easter egg then an actual QC thing.

Yes, I sometimes look at details like that.

Last edited by pagan poor; 2009-04-11 at 12:19. Reason: Checking more of the episode looking at the guitar
Old 2009-04-11, 13:24   Link #53
faervas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Do people honestly find moments like this entertaining? Do they enjoy seeing someone act this dimwitted? I can't understand how this comes off as being moe either.
She is not a Dimwit, she is obtuse. I have a friend who was like this back at about that age. She never thought of growing up and tended to daydream. She was much more engaged than Yui is. Yui is always thinking and obsessed in her own thoughts and interests. Bumming around may mean anything she does doesn't seem productive even though it is. watching the episode she is always thinking about something just not about what is in front of her. Abstract thinking, something that may be good for a musician?
Old 2009-04-11, 14:46   Link #54
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

another Micheal Steele like bass player... so interesting that they've made a characature of her...

Micheal Steele == former shy introverted tall bass player for the Bangles.
Old 2009-04-11, 14:49   Link #55
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Aside from the fact that "filler" might not be the right word, I thought the part-time job was a great addition.

And hilarious...occupational disease, anyone?
Old 2009-04-11, 15:06   Link #56
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
We all know that fiction =/= reality. Yui has "retard-moe," and that's why I love her. We all know that pink hair and huge eyes would probably not look good in reality, right? We shouldn't make direct comparison between anime and real life nor be worked up when someone does.
Actually a lot of anime series tend to get slammed for lacking in "realism" these days. I've tried to point out the same thing as you have, that anime in itself is barely realistic at it's core, but nope, sometimes people just suddenly decide a show is "unrealistic" out of the blue and start to criticize it for it. As I've said before though, if I were criticizing anime for being unrealistic and using realism as a serious measure of it's overall quality then pretty much every show out there would get a 1/10 or a 0/10 even. Basically expecting uber-realism in anime and then getting all offended when it doesn't happen is like using a strawman argument to knock a show down. If an entire form of animation is barely even trying to be realistic on average then why should it be getting knocked for a lack of it?

As for this episode, still little that stands out about this show, but nothing that offends either. I can't believe they actually got paid good money to sit there and count cars as they were going by (wonder if it's for the city or for some University study) and even moreso that it was portrayed as a challenge, but I guess for these girls it kind of is. I think the most chuckle inducing moments are the ones that aren't oversold by anything and just allowed to play out as is and be carried by the characters. For instance the bit with the guy reacting to Mugi as the president's daughter complete with the whole visual cue just wasn't that funny for me (though thank god they didn't take it into the realm of annoying for K-On like they have with past instances like this. Basically thank god it's not a Taniguchi or a Sunohara there at the counter and just some random guy getting caught off guard), but bits like Yui being almost incapable of crossing the street were somewhat amusing as was Ritsu's flashback to "bargaining". Anyway is it just me or does the BGM sound like something one would hear in an elevator? Not that that's really a bad thing as it fits the shows atmosphere right now perfectly.

Seriously though I can't express enough just how much this show benefits from the lack of Lucky Channelesque or annoying male character type bits. Okay well not benefits so much as evens out for the better. They could probably keep K-On limited to these four girls and I would be likely to say it was for the best.

Still despite all of this and the show actually getting some chuckles out of me two episodes in a row it is going at a snail's pace (even for slice of life) and is just too predictable right now. Probably going to put this one on hiatus and see if it goes anywhere interesting before I decide whether to pick it back up.
Old 2009-04-11, 16:41   Link #57
Starlight

Wow, Tsumugi's eyebrows must be pretty rare for the shopkeeper to instantly understand who she was xD
Old 2009-04-11, 16:42   Link #58
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

woot!! subforum! anyways, i've come to the conclusion that Yui is a chromosome or two short... but its about time they start rocking out. Mio moe-ness makes this ep an automatic 10. plus Mugi is great as well. especially with her "excuse me!!.."
Old 2009-04-11, 17:21   Link #59
DarrenW

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Don't know why some people were surprised with the counting traffic job.
Here it's normal to do it for school (or university) projects, and have to do it using pen and paper, not that fancy cool tool. Then not only counting number of cars, we have to count how many cars turn left, right, run straight in certain intersection. How many passengers were in each car. How many public transport, bicycles and passengers were passing by.

If you were unlucy to choose a busy section during peak hour, and then have to count at the rate of 5000-ish car per hour. Then you won't find the girls' "occupational disease" strange ^^
I've never seen this before. Who would want that information, and what do they eventually use it for?
Old 2009-04-11, 17:54   Link #60
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathscyther View Post
Wow, Yui's sister looks a lot like Nagisa O.o; So the airheadedness runs in the family
Mind to enlighten me what made you think Ui to be airheaded. In two episods aired, I can see she is proven to be opposite to Nagisa. Ui is obviously capable, responsible and level-headed girl, who is used to looks after the airheaded older sister.