AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-01-19, 08:33   Link #61
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Let's just say this arc is in many ways a prologue. I can understand why people wouldn't want to stick with it solely on the promise that it gets better though (it definitely does get better - A LOT).
Old 2024-01-19, 19:00   Link #62
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Let's just say this arc is in many ways a prologue. I can understand why people wouldn't want to stick with it solely on the promise that it gets better though (it definitely does get better - A LOT).
I watched all of Biscuit Hammer, I can take it .
Old 2024-01-19, 20:20   Link #63
Wandering Soul

I'm sticking with it. I just didn't comment on the recent episode because I was busy/ didn't have much to say.
Old 2024-01-19, 23:52   Link #64
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I thought Ep2 was pretty good improvement from the first, as it goes deeper into the world setting with stuff like modifying humans and such. We also finally get some kind of objective for the main characters
And we also got a naked girl... that I guess turns into a ninja or something, based on the OP

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-24, 17:07   Link #65
Blaat

They're still adapting two chapters per episode, they even added an extra anime only scene between Shinsuke and Shakugan. Also the castle punch scene wasn't as good as it could have been, still it's a good adaptation so far.
Old 2024-01-24, 18:50   Link #66
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Yeah, there was a noticeable drop in animation quality this ep. Of course, it's nowhere near as bad as Samidare.

It was extremely amusing to have Shinsuke question Tama on why she has two sets of ears because that's a complaint I always see when it comes to kemonomimi characters.
Old 2024-01-25, 00:04   Link #67
Frontier

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised Jinka could tank a laser blast. Nothing these grunt monks can throw at him will be able to hurt him .

Ah yes, the age old question of furries…can they hear out of both ears!? I wonder though if there’s a chance Tama could lose her memory or identity .

So Jinka Spirit Transformation is deliberately not permanent so he doesn’t completely transform into a katawara…but that’s exactly what he wants, to find a way to fully transform and become a full katawara and become every bit the monster humans see him as .

Yazen definitely looks like he stepped out of an anime villain lineup. And he and Jinka share psychotic grins. And it seems like they were able to successfully create more Kaizo-Ningen .

I did not see the temple with the giant stone arm coming. Does that thing have feet too? But watching Jinka get socked into a mountain was kind of funny .

Guess they should’ve been wary of mutant monks chancing upon them. Brave of Shinsuke to try and hold him off, begging and holding him back as much as he could, even if it didn’t end up doing much. But it’s the thought that counts !

Good that Shaku still has her katawara powers, bad that now she remembers killing her dad and everyone in the village. She’s despondent over what she had done, even if she wasn’t in control of herself, but Shinsuke can understand living in squalor and wanting power and doesn’t want her to give up on herself .

Genzo? Is he the reason Tama cares about humans so much? And why she met Jinka (since she was looking for his master) ?

So Jinka basically lived among katawara and never really understood humanity, not helped by seeing them kill one of his companions who took care of him and wasn’t doing anything wrong. Then Jinka basically swore vengeance on humanity .

But humans come in all sorts, good and bad, same as katawara. And while raw, Shinsuke’s attempt to comfort Shaku (and himself) represents the goodness within humanity. And Tama hopes that in their journey together as a group, she can help Jinka rediscover his own humanity and give up his crusade .

But first it looks like they’ll have to deal with a samurai assassin…and one who shares Jinka's non-human tastes ?
Old 2024-01-25, 08:21   Link #68
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Just watched the first episode. The samurai is BEYOND annoying in just about every aspect I can think of. Does he get better? Cause I cannot take another episode of him playing the buffoon, esp since they kind of centralized him as a main char, if not THE main char. Everything else is pretty solid, but the antics of the samurai just tilt the scales into unwatchable territory for me =01.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-25, 14:28   Link #69
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Just watched the first episode. The samurai is BEYOND annoying in just about every aspect I can think of. Does he get better?
He gets character development throughout the series but it will be a while before it pays off though.
Old 2024-01-25, 17:25   Link #70
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Just watched the first episode. The samurai is BEYOND annoying in just about every aspect I can think of. Does he get better? Cause I cannot take another episode of him playing the buffoon, esp since they kind of centralized him as a main char, if not THE main char. Everything else is pretty solid, but the antics of the samurai just tilt the scales into unwatchable territory for me =01.
Honestly, if that’s what you’re feeling at this point, I’d probably drop it. SY doesn’t really work when viewed through the lens of a formula modern anime fantasy.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-25, 18:57   Link #71
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Honestly, if that’s what you’re feeling at this point, I’d probably drop it. SY doesn’t really work when viewed through the lens of a formula modern anime fantasy.
I disagree. Shinsuke is meant to be annoying at first, and the pay off of his character arc is absolutely incredible. It takes a while, but it's worth it. The same applies to the entire story. Starts off slow and steadily becomes better until it reaches amazing heights. I don't think anyone who sticks with it will regret it in the end, provided they like the setting.
Old 2024-01-25, 19:05   Link #72
Frontier

I'm just happy to hear Ryohei Kimura .
Old 2024-01-25, 19:08   Link #73
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
And now the main cast have truly assembled. A solid mix to be sure. All of them having their own sense of past suffering as well.

In the end good that Shaku didn't end up running off by herself for good. Can't imagine things would have turned out well. Obviously her trauma is legitimate. She wasn't really in control of herself, but that doesn't change the memories. And neither does it ease the self-blame she puts on herself for having desired power in the first place. Not that she had a lot of options anyways.
Old 2024-01-25, 19:13   Link #74
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Same.
Old 2024-01-25, 21:24   Link #75
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
That’s a given!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I disagree. Shinsuke is meant to be annoying at first, and the pay off of his character arc is absolutely incredible. It takes a while, but it's worth it. The same applies to the entire story. Starts off slow and steadily becomes better until it reaches amazing heights. I don't think anyone who sticks with it will regret it in the end, provided they like the setting.
I don’t think it’s working that way though. People are seeing the scene at the end of this episode with the assassin as Shinsuke being weak and pathetic, when in fact he’s being clever and heroic. He’s assessed the situation and realized he has no chance in a fight, and he’s willing to sacrifice his pride and dignity to try and protect Shakugan and Tama (who hardly needs it, but he doesn’t know that). But in modern anime that’s not how it works, so people aren’t seeing it.

I feel like Sengoku Youko is an adaptation out of time. 10-15 years ago it would have fit anime like a glove, but now it’s an anachronism. Expectations have been established by LN fantasy and audiences just aren’t receptive to what Mizukami is asking of them.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-28, 15:56   Link #76
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That’s a given!

I don’t think it’s working that way though. People are seeing the scene at the end of this episode with the assassin as Shinsuke being weak and pathetic, when in fact he’s being clever and heroic. He’s assessed the situation and realized he has no chance in a fight, and he’s willing to sacrifice his pride and dignity to try and protect Shakugan and Tama (who hardly needs it, but he doesn’t know that). But in modern anime that’s not how it works, so people aren’t seeing it.

I feel like Sengoku Youko is an adaptation out of time. 10-15 years ago it would have fit anime like a glove, but now it’s an anachronism. Expectations have been established by LN fantasy and audiences just aren’t receptive to what Mizukami is asking of them.
What!? The anime pretty much hand feeds you that this is a ploy he's using to try and save Sakugan and Tama.
Old 2024-01-31, 09:57   Link #77
EroKing

NSFW
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2024-01-31, 12:08   Link #78
Frontier

Good for Shinsuke to get some fight training in with Jinka! Even if Jinka's as savage with his fighting skills as he is with his critiques !

Shaku's got a new look! Now with exposed arms, legs, and a new hairstyle! And she looks great! Also seems like it hugs much tighter to the chest !

So the four of them are holed up in Kokugetsugai's place, with Jinka and Tama waiting for news on Katawara and trouble they can go out and resolve (at least up until one of them gets tired of humans or the other becomes a full monster) while Shinuske and Shaku take care of the chores. At least Shaku is happy about it !

I love how Tama tries to impart kindness onto an entire village and make them pass that back as the reward for saving them, but then she goes ahead and beats up an uppity kid for criticizing them for not showing up in time to save his mom. Like, what right does he have to criticize them !?

You can't say Tama didn't give Garugan options...but hey, the kids' mom is okay! She hadn't been digested yet! But for all of Jinka's dismissal of humans as selfish beings, even he's struck by a boy willing to sacrifice himself for his mom, and can't bring himself to move. It seems like he still has more humanity in him than he's willing to admit .

But Jinka doesn't even need to do anything because Garugan gets felled by Raido Zanzou, a samurai in the employ of the Dangaisyuu who has been hired to take Jinka out. And he eats and sells Katawara meat so he's already riled up Jinka for a fight !

Enikohou is kind of hot !

Jinka dishes out all his special moves but Zanzou is able to repel them with his wind magic and ends up defeating Jinka with his pure human samurai skills, which just makes the loss hit harder for Jinka .

Did Zanzou really not finish Jinka off because he didn't seem edible? He seems...a very particular sort of guy. Also he can't really refuse the Dangaisyuu because they've got his sister .

I love Shaku's optimism and energy! And Shinsuke trying to be the most reasonable guy. At least Shaku thinks he's cool !

So Jinka has a family? The Yamato's? Not that he cares for them and it sounds like they outright ditched him when he was young. They're lucky Jinka was raring for a rematch .

Jinka still can't match Zanzou in pure skill but his drive to live makes him stomp himself AND Zanzou, which leaves Zanzou too weak to continue. Jinka rubs it in like a cackling villain, but the fact that his last thoughts included Shinsuke and Shaku along with his Elder Sister...maybe he is growing fond of his human companions despite himself ?

But they're not quite done with Zanzou, or at least his family, because the sister he was fighting for turns out to be one of the Dangaisyuu's elite and the next assassin being sent out to take Jinka out. And she sounds wayyyy more dangerous than her brother .
Old 2024-01-31, 12:44   Link #79
Blaat

First episode that adapted three chapters I suspect this will be the normal pacing from this point on. Anyway an enjoyable episode.
Old 2024-01-31, 15:13   Link #80
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well, I guess that all worked out ok. Not exactly a stylish win, but you take what you can get when in a pinch. Might as well bank on his better durability and go for the self-damaging type of move. Did put a good bit of fear of death into Jinka. Good to have someone that was scary enough that he struggled to find his confidence for a while.

Shaku seems to be bouncing back nicely. A good source of positive energy that this group can use. Good vibes with Shinsuke who certainly has a ways to go before he an contribute with more than chores .