AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-08-21, 09:39   Link #61
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Send a message via MSN to WBoon
When I was a child, I watched this film about a dog and his child owner (Lessie, I think). Very beautiful story. I used to wish that I have a dog like that, or heck, Lessie himself, even to the point of imagining myself playing or talking with a dog like this. It's scary how consuming a good story could be.

As for anime, there weren't really any that drove me to the point of worshiping the universe in the sense that I'd wish that I live in such a universe, probably because I was much older when I got serious into anime, and thus leaving such naive thoughts behind. Nonetheless, I do wish that I live in the universe of those anime that have very innocent, friendly people (Clannad, Digimon Adventure; basically any children's anime) considering how much people in real life sucks. :P And yes, it is kinda sad sometimes when I leave those anime behind, leaving such wonderful people behind.

To compare them with people in real life is probably like comparing Kira's methods to the law, I guess.
WBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 20:38   Link #62
Dextro
He Without a Title

There were a few anime that made me sad after they ended for several different reasons.

Chrono Crusade has such a bittersweet ending that I couldn't help but be a bit saddened by the way it ended, Clannad on the other hand left me happy and sad at the same time after I finished it and in fact still does every time I re-watch it (done it 3 times already for clannad, 2 for After Story). The story was so emotional that I get carried away by it. Kanon (2006) and Air also left me a bit saddened but that's par for course with Key.

Another show that left me a bit down when it ended was Aria. Such a sweet show and such a fine companion for many days. It was like an addiction this one, I felt relaxed at the end of each day by watching an episode of the show. When all episodes were gone I felt a void I haven't been able to fill for quite some time. Hidamari Sketch actually helped quite a bit but I got the same feeling of longing for it after going through the episodes.

So yes, I still get sad from time to time thinking back to those shows but all in all it's just fiction so it's more of a longing or a bit of empathy for the characters than true sadness.
Old 2011-11-20, 07:20   Link #63
Animeilove

Uwaaaah T^T Thank you so much! I have been searching for the reason why I feel so empty, sad, lonely, bored, frustrated, etc after a good anime ended. It started when I was 13, (probably unstable emotion of a teen?) I thought it was just the weather got to me xD But after 3 years, I know it's not.
Watching anime for a while, I bond with the character, like I'm a part of her/him, and the whole anime. I smile, I laugh, I cry for the anime. Watching an anime episode is like going though a normal every life, so when it ended I feel like part of me is being ripped off, the good part. I seriously feel like I lost something precious to me. Sometimes, it make me sob for the whole week, and depressed for as long as 3 months. I think about the anime wherever and whenever, and I can't find joy in the normally-would-be-super-fun activities when I'm super depressed about anime. Sometimes I think OMG something is seriously wrong with me, but I didn't know what it is. I thought it was depression LOL
After the anime ended, I keep on wishing my life would be like that, or I live in an anime, or the world is an anime, or the color of the world would be as bright and cheerful as an anime, and all the special effects in anime would be real, and always hope the anime would continue -forever if possible, or at least a year worth, because my life seem to continue w/ it. Because real life is boring~~~! (And I'm the super cheerful & positive type) *sigh* I will invent a machine so that all otaku fans can live life like an anime!!!!!! <----- my mission for life LOL
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one. Even so, I realli wish, realli hope that this Anime Ending Depression (AED) - made up name - would stop or at least go down XD and it has went down a tiny bit - thank GOD!
Animeilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 15:04   Link #64
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeilove View Post
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one. Even so, I realli wish, realli hope that this Anime Ending Depression (AED) - made up name - would stop or at least go down XD and it has went down a tiny bit - thank GOD!
Don't worry, it will.

I started watching anime as a young to mid teenager around the end of middle school. I got into anime and games fairly heavily. The end of a series, whether anime or a game, left my heart feeling heavy. Others have expressed the sentiment beautifully: it's like saying goodbye to close friends and knowing that you'll never see them again, or leaving behind a familiar place with no intent of returning.

I spent much of grade school dreaming, waiting for life to really begin. I went through college, graduate school, and now medical school. I met and befriended many people, went many places, and got married. As I progressed I watched less anime, and found it difficult to watch shows even when I had the inclination to. I no longer connect with series and characters as I once did. Finishing a series or game now no longer leaves me with that empty feeling, but rather a small sense of accomplishment (because now it's hard for me to find the time and remain dedicated enough to even get to the end!).

I still feel nostalgia for those old series and the feelings that they evoked. I also marvel at how anime brought them out, and what it all meant psychologically. For better or for worse, it's not something that I can return to at this point in my life.
Old 2011-11-22, 04:12   Link #65
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

I do get sad whenever a very good show ends. DX

I know i'm gonna shed buckets of tears if One Piece ends. T___T
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 04:40   Link #66
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Yes, I do sometimes. One anime that I can remember making me sad even a few days after watching it was Air (TV). I remember telling a friend of mine what I was feeling then, and he just responded by saying he couldn't understand how people could feel that way after watching a TV show.
Old 2011-11-22, 05:47   Link #67
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Answering the question.... depends on the ending. If it's sad, then it's sad. If happy, then happy... Unless the ending didn't end up as we hope for then, that's the time I'll mad...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 14:59   Link #68
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
... he couldn't understand how people could feel that way after watching a TV show.
I don't understand your friend. Does he think that people aren't supposed to feel anything at all after watching something? Is he a robot or something?
Old 2011-11-22, 15:22   Link #69
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
he just responded by saying he couldn't understand how people could feel that way after watching a TV show.
Man, your friend has a psychiatric problem, even babies knows when to cry or laugh while watching TV.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 15:31   Link #70
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
I feel horribly depressed and moody for 1~3 days every time I finish any series.

The only series that I actually liked which didn't end with me getting depressed was FMA brotherhood, Karas, FMP and various Gundam series.

Someone always disappears or there's always some unrequited peace or friendship or love relationship at the very end. (Or it's Bokurano where everyone disappears -.-)

I recall Welcome to the NHK had a non-depressing ending but I went emo anyways.

I only dare watch Beelzebub now after I finished Kara no Kyoukai

Gintama isn't finished but is it possible to be sad from watching Gintama?
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 20:28   Link #71
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
My very first anime was Mahoromatic when I started watching in about 2004/2005.

My body was not ready for the kind of heart wrenching drama anime is capable of, and though in hindsight if I watched it today, I would probably dismiss it as a bad ecchi with silly attempts to be serious, but back then...

Well, lets just say my depression was on par with being dumped by a girl or something like that. It's quite funny to look back at it and question how I reacted so strongly. Even now watching the last episode can stir a bit of a reaction from me, and the OP/ED... Yeah, melancholy.
Old 2011-11-23, 13:06   Link #72
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

I often get sad at the end of animes that I really enjoyed.

Just knowing I wont get to experiance more exciting/heart warming moments and that the charcters wont appear on my screen anymore disappoints me.
Old 2011-11-23, 14:37   Link #73
mecharobot

Yes. It's always a good sign if an anime makes me sad at the ending, even if the shows themselves are very positive and happy. This has happened to me when watching and rewatching anime like Aria and Kaleido Star. I was also overwhelmed by extreme sorrow after finishing Legend of the Galactic Heroes and realizing that there will never be another show like it.

It is a strange sensation. I mean, there are anime, great anime that I felt very satisfied watching, but only few have made me feel sad about watching them. Kind of like saying goodbye to friends who you know you won't be seeing again. I can't quite tell if some shows are meant to go out like that or is it a case of getting too involved with the show personally, but it has happened to me.

In short, it must be a show that you know that has to end, but you don't want it to. Reason and emotion collide, one could say.

edit: I just noticed someone already said the "old friends" comparison. It was not my intention to copycat it. I guess that means that some people feel exactly the same way about the issue.

Last edited by mecharobot; 2011-11-24 at 10:12.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 19:25   Link #74
Kyuu
=^^=

After finishing a series - I lose my will to live!

Well... no. I don't go that far. But yes. You enjoy something. And then, when you finish it off, it's over. Just like eating that last bite of your favorite dessert. Yet, given how new series come along on a quarterly basis, the odds of finding a next enjoyable series is actually pretty good.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 22:43   Link #75
Puddingman

Quote:
Yet, given how new series come along on a quarterly basis, the odds of finding a next enjoyable series is actually pretty good.
Yea! It's good to know there's so many new shows out to focus on. I do encourage sticking with the feeling for a while to allow yourself to process it completely. Have you ever finished a good videogame in a few days, only to not remember much of it a few months later? I think it's the same with anime. I love to let the feeling, whatever it is, sink in and think about that anime for a while. Allow yourself time to internalize it, to make it part of your life in a positive way. But of course, the better you like it, the more time you may need before moving on; so animes you don't like will automatically get filtered out. Anyways, just my perspective on the situation.
Old 2011-11-26, 01:31   Link #76
Transitions
by John Digweed House Mix

Send a message via MSN to Transitions
Yes i do!!

overcoat if the anime I score a smile, sigh and sometimes a tear. only Pita ten and Twin Spica did I mourn.

xD
Old 2012-07-30, 09:34   Link #77
team_Dai-Gurren
S-Class Limiter

Glad to see this post is still going, as I'm in a PAD slump and actually googled it looking for people who experience the same type of thing....it really is an emptiness, a feeling inside that comes from knowing the story is over, the legend has come to an end, your new friends are going their separate way and you'll probably never see them again (especially if, like previously stated, the show or manga is short as hell or a one-shot series). I mean, DBZ? yeah, it was sad saying goodbye to Goku, Vegeta, Gohan and the gang. Blue Gender? I'm glad things worked out for Marlene and Yuji, but the story was killer. Gurren Lagann, don't even get me started. I never wanted that to end, and I still wish IRL was based on RULE OF COOL like that show was. Cowboy Bebop, Elfen Lied, Chrono Crusade (manga, of course), Code Geass, Fate/Stay Night, Excel Saga, Yu Yu Hakusho, Evangelion, The Big O, all my favs, and most if not all created that empty feeling at the end.

I feel like that feeling is a mark of a good story. The creators managed to create characters , world, and scenarios that got inside the audience's head, and I feel that and story that doesn't make you even a slight bit sad that it's over can't compare to one that does. Whether it be anime, manga, music, movies, books or video games, sometimes that feeling is so strong that I won't even touch a certain piece of media for a while after finishing, simply because I know that once I get started again, its gonna be an epic ride, but I know the inevitable end will come and I'll be right back to square one again.......sigh, I'm just glad there are others like me who go through the same thing. We're just people who get into stuff for the story, and sometimes, a good story is all you need.
team_Dai-Gurren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 09:49   Link #78
NK_500
Disabled By Request

Sad in good way: Yosuga no Sora, Taishou Yakyuu Musume(both not going to have a sequel)

Sad in bad way: School Days(I want 6 hours of my life back)
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 19:26   Link #79
winterbaby
вelιnda

I get sad when my favorite animes end. I also feel sad for the sad parts in good anime series!! Sometimes I cry a little. And I get extremely mad when things don't happen the way I wanted it to be!!!!!
winterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 17:42   Link #80
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post
Yes. It's always a good sign if an anime makes me sad at the ending, even if the shows themselves are very positive and happy. This has happened to me when watching and rewatching anime like Aria and Kaleido Star. I was also overwhelmed by extreme sorrow after finishing Legend of the Galactic Heroes and realizing that there will never be another show like it.

It is a strange sensation. I mean, there are anime, great anime that I felt very satisfied watching, but only few have made me feel sad about watching them. Kind of like saying goodbye to friends who you know you won't be seeing again. I can't quite tell if some shows are meant to go out like that or is it a case of getting too involved with the show personally, but it has happened to me.

In short, it must be a show that you know that has to end, but you don't want it to. Reason and emotion collide, one could say.

edit: I just noticed someone already said the "old friends" comparison. It was not my intention to copycat it. I guess that means that some people feel exactly the same way about the issue.
Yeah it's only very few for me too. It has to be really gooood with lots of stuff happening from beginning to end with the characters the plot. Another thing is you can only watch something for the first time ONCE unless you forget everything or you watch it 50 years later ? lol. But I feel like I liked it so much I doubt I would forget so much to the point where it would like be watching it for the first time when I re-watch it. Only with the first watch can you be surprised or shocked. But I do feel like re-watching some of scenes because it is so interesting or significant. A recent one that did that to me is Iron Leaguer. It's 52 episodes so a lot of stuff happens. So far it's only subbed till episode 7 in english I believe... They did make OVAs but it's not as as the series but I feel happy seeing the characters and that world again.

Tags
anime, discussion