AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-07-09, 23:02   Link #1
Lanuigi

Best ways to Support Anime Industry?

I know there are people here who probably have a more clear understanding than I do but whats the best ways to help support the industry? Is it only through DVD sales? Or does subscriptions to various places (Funimation, Crunchyroll, etc.) help out more?

Lanuigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 23:22   Link #2
wontaek

In my opinion, subscriptions to legal download/streaming anime sites is the best way in the long run. If Anime companies makes money distributing anime through World Wide Web, they will make more efforts reaching out and communicating with international viewers, which may result in more revenue away from Japan, which is a very saturated market.
Old 2012-07-09, 23:44   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

At this point in time, DVDs still bring in a lot more revenue per customer than online streaming subscriptions do (which is many orders of magnitude more than the ads in free legit online streams provide), but by the same token sometimes the money may be supporting different people along the way. The overseas anime industry generally consists of various middlemen who translate, publish, and distribute the work (whether online or on physical media), but some money does go back to the rightsholders in one way or another.

You might be interested to read this series of ANN articles which provides some relevant information about how licensing works.

Now, if you really want to support the Japanese anime industry more directly and are willing to spend a bit more (or sometimes a lot more) to do it, there are a ton of products being sold at every price point in Japan for nearly every show that's airing. The product that would seem to bring in the most direct revenue in Japan is the DVDs and Blu-Rays, which are many times more expensive than their licensed equivalents. But there are also CD, Games, Books, Figures, Character Goods, and so on, all of which bring some money back to the Production Committee in various ways. Some of these products are easier than others for foreigners to import, keeping in mind that many of them are not translated into English (so you may be buying them purely as keepsakes, rather than for their practical value).

But we're probably getting way ahead of ourselves here. A subscription to legit streaming services is a good place to start, and supporting your favourite shows by buying the license DVDs/Blu-Rays does help.
Old 2012-07-10, 00:28   Link #4
Lanuigi

thanks wontask and relentlessflame...I appreciate the time
Old 2012-07-10, 09:46   Link #5
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
According to ANN, legal stream nets little compared to importing anime Blu-Rays from Japan.

DVDs/Blu-Rays licensed outside Japan nets little (but it's the source of income for the industry as well)

Merchandise from an anime nets 5% (Danny Choo's website).
Old 2012-07-10, 09:57   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
According to ANN, legal stream nets little compared to importing anime Blu-Rays from Japan.
Well, of course, but what good is a Japanese BR to someone who doesn't speak Japanese? Even an item as attractive to me as the BD box of Apothecary stories by Nakamura Kenji isn't going to make me part with $300+ if I can't understand what is being said.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 10:03   Link #7
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Selling DVDs, manga and merchandise widely out of Japan. Right now, the only way I can buy manga is by going to conventions or driving to Tel Aviv. ´●ω●`
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 11:02   Link #8
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Well, of course, but what good is a Japanese BR to someone who doesn't speak Japanese? Even an item as attractive to me as the BD box of Apothecary stories by Nakamura Kenji isn't going to make me part with $300+ if I can't understand what is being said.
Don't buy for use. That is a huge mistake.

If you want to watch anime, just torrent (xdcc, ddl, etc) it. It's several times more convenient and often higher quality than if you took the legal option.

Buy anime/merch to support the industry. Doesn't matter if you can't understand it, that's what scanlations and fansubs are for.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 11:15   Link #9
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Its collector thing, personally I found its can be fascinating hobby.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:38   Link #10
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
...If you're going to buy something purely to support the industry and be "a collector", wouldn't it make more sense to buy a figurine than a DVD/Blu-Ray? A collection of anime figurines displayed well would be much more eye-catching to me than a stack of DVDs or Blu-Rays.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:43   Link #11
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
...If you're going to buy something purely to support the industry and be "a collector", wouldn't it make more sense to buy a figurine than a DVD/Blu-Ray? A collection of anime figurines displayed well would be much more eye-catching to me than a stack of DVDs or Blu-Rays.
Figures don't bring the producers of the anime as much money as buying their their discs. Most of of the revenues of the figures goes naturally to the manufacturor of the figures.

Buying other kind of merchandise more directly related to the anime also helps, like their soundtracks (or some opening and endings cd's that are not sung by actual music artists but rather the seiyuu's of that specific serie), artbooks etc.

edit and semi off topic : my recent support for an anime serie that i liked last year

Last edited by hyl; 2012-07-10 at 11:59.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 12:36   Link #12
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Figures don't bring the producers of the anime as much money as buying their their discs. Most of of the revenues of the figures goes naturally to the manufacturor of the figures.
Bingo.

And some of BDs actually already include english subtitle, its the recent trend lately.

Btw nice collection dude.
Old 2012-07-10, 13:57   Link #13
Kirarakim

Quote:
I personally love both. I also collect manga, artbooks, and recently I've taken a liken to glasses/mugs.

I don't buy Japanese BR's though, that is beyond my price range and well I still don't have a Blu-ray Player. I have bought Japanese manga purely for collection reasons though (since I can't actually read it).

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2012-07-10 at 14:11.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 16:10   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Just curious, but how many of you who collect Japanese BDs, etc., have families? Hobbies are nice, but it's hard to justify spending hundreds of dollars on anime and anime collectibles when you've got other more pressing needs like paying the rent and putting food on the table.

If you can do both, then more power to you. As for me, I've got college tuition bills to pay.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 17:14   Link #15
Kirarakim

Quote:
Just curious, but how many of you who collect Japanese BDs, etc., have families? Hobbies are nice, but it's hard to justify spending hundreds of dollars on anime and anime collectibles when you've got other more pressing needs like paying the rent and putting food on the table.

If you can do both, then more power to you. As for me, I've got college tuition bills to pay.

I think everyone should do what they can. People shouldn't feel bad because they can't buy everything or don't buy the most expensive thing possible. When I was unemployed I was buying way less than I am now. Not to mention you can buy a lot but space is also going to be an issue.
Old 2012-07-10, 20:54   Link #16
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Well, I'd say it's certainly true that the prime target for Japanese BD collectors are people with large amounts of disposable income, i.e. people (likely single/with no dependants) with good jobs and few responsibilities. For example, speaking personally, I rent an apartment by myself but don't own a car. So all the money people might normally spend on car payments, maintenance, fuel, etc. I can use instead to collect stuff. If I were in a situation where I didn't have a choice but to own a car, then that would certainly cut into how much I can spend. I also don't spent a lot of money on other "vices" (don't drink, don't smoke, don't otherwise spend lavishly)... collecting anime and related merchandise is what I choose to do with my spare funds. Clearly, not everyone can do that, nor are they necessarily expected to. This is why there are products at every price point.

But that aside, I do generally agree that, for those who buy the BDs even in Japan, it's much more to collect than for any sort of practical use. It's frivolous spending by its very definition, but I like supporting the shows I love in that way because I can... realizing that I may not always be able to do so.
Old 2012-07-11, 00:34   Link #17
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Soundtracks are another good option. No sub concerns, and you generally hear stuff not in the show itself.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 00:47   Link #18
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I spend mainly on books (artbooks, light novels, manga, special publications etc) figma, soundtracks and games....

Yeah, not having dependents other than yourself is great. It's obvious why most hardcore otaku are single...
Old 2012-07-11, 00:47   Link #19
Lanuigi

Thanks everyone for keeping the discussion and adding alot of information for me.

I've been introduced into anime like 6 years ago and theres been alot I've watched and really enjoyed like Naruto, Baka Test, School Rumble, Freezing(not even including big ones that everyone says are must watch anime like Gundam, Gurren Lagann, etc.)

But now that I have a bit of income now for spare use and I'm looking to buy more anime related stuff like DVDs and other collectibles. Any particular sites anyone here particularly uses for buying?
Old 2012-07-11, 07:14   Link #20
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
That is exactly what I'm doing.

Aside from figurines, I also buy music cd's from CDJapan.
I like the free stickers (often comes with first press editions), and the booklet.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2012-07-11 at 07:39.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote