AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Rumble

Notices

View Poll Results: SR Second Term Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 11 22.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 28.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 24.49%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 22.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.04%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-30, 11:29   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Second Term Episode 5 Discussion

Welcome to this week's episode of School Rumble Second Term. In the future we'll try and create the thread before each weekend ready for when the episode airs.

While none of the School Rumble anime series have been licensed yet, they are produced by MFI, therefore we won't be listing fansubs here on AnimeSuki. See Removal of Media Factory Inc. Works for details.

Since it is "restricted", the following posts are no longer allowed in this forum.
  • Asking where you can find School Rumble downloads or torrents.
  • Discussing School Rumble fansub groups (past or present).
  • Asking for help downloading School Rumble.
  • Asking for playback help for School Rumble episodes.
These rules applies to fansubs (in English or any other language) and raws alike.

This restriction applies to
  • School Rumble (first series)
  • School Rumble OVA
  • School Rumble (second series)

School Rumble manga has also been licensed by Del Rey.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs either.
  • Try to keep manga spoilers out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.
Please use the Report button if you see any unmarked spoilers or other problems.

How to use Spoiler Tags

Spoiler tags are easy.

[spoiler=Episode 2]Wait, does the Bloody Mary Faction mean what I think it means[/spoiler]

...will get you this...

Spoiler for Episode 2:

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-05-07 at 13:26.
Old 2006-04-30, 15:25   Link #2
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-01, 02:52   Link #3
WraithC

For Karin fans
Tennouji's little sister is voiced by the same VA who does Karin's voice.

I admit they're packing a lot in these eps
But I'm a bit biased, since I already pretty much know what's going to happen... I guess you could say I'm just happy to see everything animated + with good voice acting. So it gets a thumbs up from me. High points for me would be the Yakumo + Harima scene and the Harima's little bro + Tennouji's little sister.
Old 2006-05-01, 05:56   Link #4
Aidan
Am I bad? Yes... Very X(

I have to say that my ignorance is such bliss, this episode was so hilarious I'd give it a 11.

All the cafes, all the cakes, Tenma, T_T I cried from all the laugher, I'm so happy it hurts. The omaka was kinda cute too.
I do wish they'd remove Karasuma form the show, he's so dull.
Old 2006-05-02, 09:27   Link #5
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
More Harima x Yakumo scenes.

I just get the feeling Yakumo does have some sort of "warm" feeling towards Harima. Even though she keeps denying it.
Old 2006-05-02, 12:56   Link #6
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

They only really shortened the tea club scenes a bit, right? The pacing felt better than some of the other eps, IMO. If they just wrap up the festival then the next ep shouldn't be too rushed, yea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithC
For Karin fans
Tennouji's little sister is voiced by the same VA who does Karin's voice.
Yeah! I noticed that too. She can play really cute kids' voices, huh?
Old 2006-05-02, 15:32   Link #7
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon
They only really shortened the tea club scenes a bit, right?
not only that, they also cut out the fact that Harima was the second victim to head to the Tea Club, but was greet with the nurse, whom instantly dragged inside, and he couldn't get away!

shame really

Besides that everything on track the next episode is looking promising
Old 2006-05-04, 19:16   Link #8
ordnance11

Hmmm..it's hard to get a bead on Yakumo's feelings for Harima....she says she's not in love with anyone in this episode...but in OVA2....when she picked up Harima's thoughs of Tenma, does that mean she does have a warm feeling for him...not quite love, but affection?

Why do I see a looming confrontation between Yakumo and Eri in the near future?
Old 2006-05-04, 21:50   Link #9
evil-samurai

We hear Hanai screaming names again, and this time its Yakumo!!!!! I love his Voice actor.

It was a bit more serouis this time (well with Tenma), and the whole cafe thing wasn't really interesting to me but it had its funny moments. Hanai was the best part of the episode, like when Hanai said he is going out and because Yakumo is there he will not come back alive"and everyone yelled " then why are you even going?"

I'm really looking forward to next week, its looks like its going to be interesting with Eri and Yakumo facing off agaisn't each other in some play.
Old 2006-05-05, 12:47   Link #10
SonicMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordnance11
Hmmm..it's hard to get a bead on Yakumo's feelings for Harima....she says she's not in love with anyone in this episode...but in OVA2....when she picked up Harima's thoughs of Tenma, does that mean she does have a warm feeling for him...not quite love, but affection?

Why do I see a looming confrontation between Yakumo and Eri in the near future?
Yakumo isn't in love with Harima, but the thing about her is she isn't not in love with him either. If you read the manga it should come across to you that she is mostly naive because her ability to read minds has kept her away from boys. I think she feels close to Harima because for starters, she can't read his mind, secondly they share a hobby (drawing manga) and she also admires Harima's ability to get along with animals (Yakumo can't read animal minds, even though she really wants to know what they are thinking ^_^ )

I think given enough time she would probably fall for him in a more serious way, but it would require her comming out of her shell a bit more. Frankly I'm amazed that a pretty young girl like her who can read mens minds isn't so traumatized by now that she's a lesbian ^_^ lol

All the girls who are on the Harima love angle have similar problems, thats what is supposed to keep things interesting. For instance Tenma has Kurasima she is always looking at and her own stupidity as obstacles between her and Harima (as well as Harima's own stupidity, these two are the baka dream team of the century) and Eri, while it definately seems she does like Harima, has to overcome not only Harima's own thoughtlessness (If he was actually interested in Eri he probably would have had her by now) but also her own massive princess complex.

Personally I find Eri the most interesting because the main stumbling block between her and Harima is her own personality. The thing that attracts her to Harima is that she can show her real face to him, but the thing that keeps her from being with him (asides from his own fixation on Tenma) is her desire to still hold onto her ice princess facade at all costs. It makes for amusing manga/anime to watch her struggle against both her feelings and her pride :P
Old 2006-05-05, 18:32   Link #11
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMonkey
Yakumo isn't in love with Harima, but the thing about her is she isn't not in love with him either. If you read the manga it should come across to you that she is mostly naive because her ability to read minds has kept her away from boys. I think she feels close to Harima because for starters, she can't read his mind, secondly they share a hobby (drawing manga) and she also admires Harima's ability to get along with animals (Yakumo can't read animal minds, even though she really wants to know what they are thinking ^_^ )

Personally I find Eri the most interesting because the main stumbling block between her and Harima is her own personality. The thing that attracts her to Harima is that she can show her real face to him, but the thing that keeps her from being with him (asides from his own fixation on Tenma) is her desire to still hold onto her ice princess facade at all costs. It makes for amusing manga/anime to watch her struggle against both her feelings and her pride :P
!! WARNING: SPOILER FILLED

Spoiler:

Last edited by arias; 2006-05-05 at 20:14.
Old 2006-05-05, 19:55   Link #12
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Smile

You know, it's so much better if you just use spoiler tags.

Also, since this is an anime thread, you really shouldn't be discussing the manga in this thread, even in spoilers. Come to the raw manga thread, though, and post your ideas again over there. I'll gladly dissect them for you in detail over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Actually, the main stumbling between Harima/Eri is HARIMA... definitely. His tunnel vision is what's preventing any sort of romance between him and any other female. From the chinese translations, he is actually pretty crude and cruel to Eri sometimes, although she doesn't seem too terribly affected by his lines (perhaps only on the surface?), he still remains pretty "bad" to her at times.
There's problems on both sides, actually.
1) Harima's inability to understand or be considerate of Tenma's feelings for Karasuma.
2) Misunderstandings and miscommunications on both sides.
3) Eri's pride and her fear of rejection.
Every story arc so far works on one of these angles with regards to Harima x Eri. What's more, while they are both rude to each other most of the time, they both occasionally do genuinely nice things for each other on impulse. That impulse is a major redeeming quality in their relationship. On the odd occasion where they're honest and open with each other, good things happen. Guaranteed!

Quote:
Yakumo on the other hand, I think, is more of a special case. Unlike Eri, who easily handles guys on the fly and such, she is much more reserved and, like Eri, Harima is perhaps the only "pure" person that has gotten "through" to her. As a result, her feelings for Harima are sort of in a limbo.. wavering between a real romantic interest and a concern for him because he's really the only guy she pays attention to. Whether he is a real romantic interest does not displace the fact that he is a special person to her.
Before we start discussing Riceball as a viable possibility, let's see at least one of the two parties involved express an actual romantic interest in the other. I can think of at least one other case in the series where people mistake a "best friends" relationship for a "destined couple" relationship. You're making the exact same mistake.

You're also forgetting the fact that there is an air of formality that hovers between the two. Harima has granted Yakumo his secret for the time being out of lack of a confidant (in Ep.20 S1, his choice is rather random, when you look at it), but he still becomes quiet and aloof in her presence. When we see Harima in class, he is quiet, calm, and under control - exactly as he behaves in his interactions with Yakumo. Now, compare that to the range of emotions that he displays when he is around Tenma or Eri - the reserve is gone, and he is a tumult of expressed emotions. That reserve on Harima's part is a critical problem that Riceball faces.

In actuality, Eri knows absolutely nothing about having relationships with guys. It's all an act. The interesting thing about Eri, however, is that she's the only girl other than Tenma who has actually gotten through to him. Sagano and Yuuki's comments in Ep. 4 S2 actually apply both ways - despite all the misunderstandings, Harima and Eri both act naturally around each other. Again, I'm very much constrained by the nature of this thread in terms of providing proof, so this really should be discussed in more detail in the manga thread.

Quote:
I also don't think School Rumble is in a sort of limbo like so many complaints here. Sure, it would be nice to see things go definitively in one direction or another, but the constant buildup of tension is quite beautiful.
There's really only one character in the series around whom dramatic tension is built up around. From that standpoint, there is a strong sense of direction in the story.
Old 2006-05-05, 20:13   Link #13
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
You know, it's so much better if you just use spoiler tags.

Also, since this is an anime thread, you really shouldn't be discussing the manga in this thread, even in spoilers. Come to the raw manga thread, though, and post your ideas again over there. I'll gladly dissect them for you in detail over there.
Apart from your slightly retarded arrogance, I am quite aware that I posted off in the wrong thread : p.. Oh well. I'll spoiler tag my whole post to prevent new-viewers from being spoiled. I also don't see a real need to dissect ideas and over-analyze mangas, so I'm not too much up for that either. As for the Yakumo-Harima interaction, it is true that Harima is more formal with her, but I am NOT making a best-friends = couple mistake. It is foolish of you to say that.

Also, I don't see how "acting naturally" is necessarily THE requisite for having a relationship. One also feels at ease with one's friends. Interpersonal chemistry does not stand for romantic chemistry. But anyways, I'll edit my post and talk about this more when new raws are released.
Old 2006-05-06, 04:06   Link #14
mr.muffin

Great ep overall, but I felt it was not as funny as the previous one. Was glad to see that moment between Tenma and Karasuma at the end. Kinda sympathised with Tenma this ep cos first nobody wanted to call for her in the cafe except for kiddies... and then her cake for Karasuma got ruined.

I'm hoping that Karasuma stops liking curry so much... so that Karasuma and Tenma end up together. Karasuma's a bit of a blockhead tho to not pick up on the hints Tenma has been dropping. Maybe he's been blinded by his love for curry.
Old 2006-05-06, 08:23   Link #15
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Ha, this episode was mostly fanservice! It wasn't really a great episode because I think they're saving the good stuff for the one where the play happens.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-06, 14:26   Link #16
shikamarufoo

That was the best lol...
I liked it when they could cosplay situations, I wish there was something like that in real life or at least in the US...Great to see Yakumo and Harima together and it gets way mroe confusing as who he's going to end up with. Also the cake switch was pretty funny as well
Overall 10/10 IMO~
Old 2006-05-06, 19:24   Link #17
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

This was a fairly stock standard SR episode in that nothing really happened in the plot. There were a few "lol" moments, but not much really inspired comedy and certainly not comedy on the same level as the first episode in this series or some of the best episodes from the last. I'd say overall it's pretty much a "go-through-the-motions" episode.

I think if there's one good thing that happened in this episode, it's made the HarimaxYakumo relationship slightly more tenable in my eyes. I've always liked Yakumo more than Eri as a character, but I've always been more of a fan of the HarimaxEri relationship, because I think she probably needs him more than Yakumo does. Although this episode has probably emphasised (again) that Yakumo has her own set of issues that, (who knows) may or may not be resolved by her spending more time with Harima. And, on a slightly related note, her wearing Hanai's glasses was just so ridiculously cute.
Old 2006-05-06, 20:59   Link #18
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
i wonder what would i be like if Harima and Yakumo were to be together. Harima and Eri, they would be critisizing each other all day =P. Tenma and Harima would be -_____________-||| omg... like duck talking to a chicken, that's the best comparison i can make =P
Old 2006-05-06, 22:13   Link #19
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Yep mostly fanservice so I didn't really enjoy it as much as the previous S2 episodes. Still very enjoyable.

The next episode however looks very very good watching the preview.
Old 2006-05-07, 02:32   Link #20
Kezane

Wasn't karasuma's birthday just a while ago?
Closed Thread