AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-09-02, 17:01   Link #1
unconfirmed

Cross†channel

Full English patch (thank you Amaterasu Translations) came out around a week ago and I'm just wondering if anybody's reading it or have already finished reading.

here's the link to the translation site
http://amaterasu.is.moelicious.be/

I managed to finish 2 routes and have no idea what's going on, but maybe that's a good thing since this is what the game's trying to shoot for... for now. Oh, and if you're interested, try to avoid wikipedia's summary since it'll spoil the inital shock of the "prologue".

From what I've read so far, the actual "routes" for the heroines may seem a little dry, but I think relationships really play a background role to the whole "what-the-hell-is-going-on factor". The main character is completely awesome though. Top-class pervert. Although it's still too early to make a fair judgment of the game I'll say that I have high expectations for something that so many people praised as an eroge classic.
unconfirmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 04:23   Link #2
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Yeah, I finished it as soon as it was out. Probably many people have already heard about Cross Channel, thanks to the notoriously famous, addictive flashgame called "Nanaka Crash".
That was based on a great Visual Novel, touted to be on par with "Ever 17" (albeit I liked the latter a tiny bit more for various reasons, but they are certainly close in epicness).
Here's the summary taken from VNDB:
Spoiler for spoilerish:
And it is just as one can imagine, the story has lots of unforeseeable twists, which made the game really enjoyable in the end. It is a great story, and I would recommend for everyone to play it. The characters are all great (Youko, Sakuraba and Miki are awesome, they were my favorite), and the ending is exceptionally well done.
So yeah, if you've found Ever 17 awesome, and/or you like great plottwists, and/or you want to play something really unique and famous among VNs you really should play Cross Channel, because it indeed meets all the hype. On Erogamescape, Cross Channel is ranked as the 9th highest rated VN of all time (ignoring the different platform releases now).
The first two weeks you may think that VN is not serious, however believe me, starting from week 3, the game gets wicked and full of twists.
By the way, the translation is top-quality. You can choose at the beginning how many TL notes you want to see -for your information, the game has countless wordplays, unique japanese expressions, jokes etc- (if you choose the minimum TL notes, you will only see the crucial ones), and the translation genuinely represents Tanaka Romeo's (The writer of Yume Miru Kusuri; Kana: Little Sister; Family Project) unique writing style as far as that possible in english.
Spoiler for Here's one of the openings, to further persuade you:

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-09-03 at 04:42.
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 10:06   Link #3
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Since I'm supposed to avoid the wikipedia summary (as mentioned by the OP), anyone care to share the heroine's bios and how what's their relationship with the main character? Would help a lot in me deciding whether to import the game or not.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 10:47   Link #4
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Uhm currently reading this too, and still stalled on Week 2 u_u'' For obvious reasons of finishing off something else :'D I'm going to admit that I have no idea of whatever insanity that is going to happen, but from whatever it is, I'm pretty sure I'm having my box of Kleenex ready with me for crying purpose-God Knows the foreshadowing angst is really making people cough blood.

I'm pretty sure the heroines at this moment is having the usual glorious facade, so here is hoping for the best revelations to come :3 And I'm pretty sure I'm liking the main so far, the gags were gold That silver hair is not helping, oh no...

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 11:02   Link #5
SageGaiGar
You are Next

This looks to be interesting. Especially translated. ^^ Guess I'll do the unusual for me and look up nothing on it. (I'm a spoiler-phile)
Old 2009-09-03, 12:33   Link #6
unconfirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Since I'm supposed to avoid the wikipedia summary (as mentioned by the OP), anyone care to share the heroine's bios and how what's their relationship with the main character? Would help a lot in me deciding whether to import the game or not.

I think the character bios and their relationships with one another is part of the actual mystery, but you have the average tsundere, meganeko, the silent type, and even a kunoichi. Obviously the characters are deeper than that, but they still follow some of the general character layouts so you know what to expect.

To convince you further, zepy translated Nasu's "review"
http://zepy.momotato.com/2009/08/31/...tion-released/

You know it has to be good if another well-known writer gives it that much praise. I'd say it's worth the import.
Old 2009-09-03, 12:51   Link #7
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Oh damn, how stupid of me. I forgot to mention that the fantranslation patch also contains an all ages version, and that doesn't contains anything adulty in nature (well... except some pantyshots for joke purposes, but these aren't any different than any other anime one can see everywhere). If the ero-content bothers you, just set it on the all ages option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
The thing is that the characters themselves are full of spoilers (and yet the Wikipedia article spoils it to a certain degree IMO).
In any case, if you want to find out more about the game without getting spoiled, I recommend reading TakaJun's spoilerfree review.
I guess I could write some stuff myself too with the official character portraits... However I'm not going to write about all the characters though because I'm lazy. If you are wondering what is the relation between them and the main character, then let me just say, they all belonged to the same club (the Broadcasting club), and everyone of them has/had a really "unique" connection with the protagonist in the past.
Spoiler for character info, with images etc:
Old 2009-09-03, 13:52   Link #8
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
...and everyone of them has/had a really "unique" connection with the protagonist in the past.
You mean to say that they some had met the protagonist when they were younger, or have known him since they were young? This would probably be the tipping point for me, considering my abosute moe property lol.

Now the question is... where the heck do I import it if I wanted to? Playasia only has the PS2 version (which obviously I can't use for the translation), while amazon in general does not ship software overseas. Ebay has no hits either lol.
Old 2009-09-03, 14:16   Link #9
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Yeah they knew each other for a longer time by the game starts (few even knows Taichi since childhood, but don't think of the typical "childhood character cliche" here), and that's what makes the game really interesting. A few of those relations are downright shocking when they are revealed, and some others also explain other related mysteries. The game is exceptionally good at feeding these informations bit by bit at the most appropriate times, and I guarantee that several of the character relations are really unexpected.

And albeit a bit pricey, but Erogeshop has copies on stock. Alternatively you could request Paletweb to stock it up (they usually do that, especially if there's a sudden outburst in a game), or get it through amazon and a courier service.
Old 2009-09-03, 20:26   Link #10
Eater of All
NOM

So I'm 30 minutes into Cross Channel and I can safely say that Miki is - and always will be - my favorite character, even if she hasn't even officially shown up yet. That cute smile of her's is completely mesmerizing.

Also, I think Taichi should be awarded with the Pervert of the Century award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
Here's the summary taken from VNDB:
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2009-09-04, 02:48   Link #11
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

No, don't think of it that way really.
Old 2009-09-04, 11:29   Link #12
unconfirmed

I like Youko the best lol. I want to buy a Youko and take her home. EDIT: oh and Nanaka too, she's so moe :3 Miki is the third best for me, she's also moe.
Old 2009-09-04, 18:37   Link #13
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Wow, 100 bucks + shipping + custom fees via erogeshop? My wallet is still hurting from Fan Expo, and my bro's birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks, and I'm trying to get that stupid Femme Fatale Fightstick for him (valued at least for 160 bucks) and the only store I can find where to order it from online doesn't ship to Canada. >_<

That said, I'm sold for the game. I know the writer can do my absolute moe property justice, even if its highly atypical for the archetype (kana comes to mind). It's not a matter of if but when I'm gonna get the game.

Now if only I'll remember a month from now and not spend any money before I realize I should buy this game... I've said the same thing to buying some of stuff over at mangagamer, but so far only got Da Capo lol.
Old 2009-09-05, 00:21   Link #14
SageGaiGar
You are Next

lol, I seem to have found myself falling into the Misato route apparently.. and I'm just barely past the prologue. (at 5 hrs) And a review said this'd take 20 hrs total ? 0_o

*edit* I had certain issues and had to reinstall.

Now the words are messed up. >_< basically split apart at the syllables. Might still be playable.

Last edited by SageGaiGar; 2009-09-05 at 04:51.
SageGaiGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 05:49   Link #15
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Check out the translation forum error thread, because there's a solution there (or leave a post describing the problem if you couldn't solve it).
Old 2009-09-05, 06:07   Link #16
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
Check out the translation forum error thread, because there's a solution there (or leave a post describing the problem if you couldn't solve it).
Deleted and reinstalled the font so it's working now. I had an issue before where I disconnected the external I was using and it switched to a completely different directionary. Switched it back to where it was, (damn you Daemon tools)

Lost my saves @_@
Old 2009-09-05, 10:54   Link #17
unconfirmed

Around 70% done now and...

Spoiler for plot spoilers, sorta:
Old 2009-09-07, 11:58   Link #18
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconfirmed View Post
Around 70% done now and...

Spoiler for plot spoilers, sorta:
Yeah I'm at this point as well..

Spoiler for plot spoiler:
Old 2009-09-09, 14:44   Link #19
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Finished at 97%. Think I'm missing one scene and CG. Interesting storyline, though with some holes. I'll elaborate later.
Old 2009-09-09, 15:26   Link #20
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Don't uninstall the game yet, because the TL group is going to release that extra scenario called "Tower of Friends" (トモダチの塔) shortly, which will be using the installed game.
It supposed to answer a few loose ends, and give a better understanding to the ending itself as far as I know.