Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2018-04-04, 22:22   Link #1
AnimeFan188

The Last Starfighter (Reboot Movie)

Rogue One's Gary Whitta Tells Us His Plans for a
Last Starfighter Reboot:

"On Twitter, Rogue One and Book of Eli screenwriter Gary Whitta just dropped a huge
bombshell: He’s working with Jonathan Betuel, the writer of The Last Starfighter, to
finally try and reboot it for the big screen. We reached out to learn more, and Whitta
told us why now is the perfect time to bring it back."

"In all the years hence, whenever I’ve brought up the idea of a Starfighter reboot in
meetings, people would always convey excitement and then say that it’s impossible
because the rights are a mess. It’s true that it’s not simple, but part of the key to it is,
as I understand it (and I’m not a lawyer), Jon still retains some piece of ownership of
the original IP, so no one can make a new movie without his participation. I happened
to track Jon down, and after I was done pestering him with all my fanboy questions
about the original film we started to talk about what a new version might look like.
Since then we’ve spent so many hours working on it I’ve long since lost count, but
right now we have a fully developed story that is a combination of reboot and sequel
that we both think honors the legacy of the original film while passing the torch to a
new generation. We’re both very excited about it creatively."

See:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/rogue-ones-g...-st-1824988120
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-28, 19:22   Link #2
AnimeFan188

The Last Starfighter's Potential Sequel Now Has a Sizzle Reel for
Hollywood’s Consideration:

"Fans of The Last Starfighter have long dreamed what a sequel to that movie would be.
Today, they find out.

Gary Whitta, writer of The Book of Eli and Rogue One, has been working with Last
Starfighter writer Jonathan Betuel on bringing the 1984 classic back to life for years
now. Today, he hopped on his Twitch stream to say the film is closer than it’s ever been
to fruition. It’s “right on the one-yard line” he said, and he believes it will happen.

To help cross that line, though, Whitta also revealed the sizzle reel he, Betuel, concept
artist Matt Allsopp, and composer Chris Tilton collaborated on to give people an idea of
the movie they want. Whitta explained, as he’s said before, this wouldn’t be a straight
remake of the original movie. It’s a sequel that keeps the original film in canon but
passes the torch to a new generation, much like Star Wars: The Force Awakens did."

See:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-last-sta...zle-1846554519

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote