AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-18, 10:55   Link #1001
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
-Okada thought "Gattai is forbidden" was a good catchphrase. She wanted to add more romance to Aquarion (what she thought were the good parts of Aquarion). Kawamori writes the outline of his anime, but he let the scriptwriter do what she wants with the contents, Okada was a bit worried for such freedom. Kawamori said he chose her because he watched True Tears and he liked Jibeta.
OKAY! That's definitely a troll answer. Really the chicken as the favorite TT character?

Quote:
-Andy wasn't originally meant to be there, but Okada felt she needed a "male who loves pretty girl" (ie: the friend of Tokimeki Memorial's MC). Kawamori was surprised when she put such kind of character. Even Okada herself was surprised to have proposed him. She thought Andy was the "hole" of Kawamori, so she was able to turn it into a regular. MIX has always been a class rep, but she was originally a gentle bigger sister type. Some member of the staff was complaining MIX was not MIX anymore after Okada's changes. Andy and MIX were two characters easy to depict and to made fall in love.
. No wonder that "hole" line was so overused.

Quote:
-It was Kawamori the one who wanted to turn MIX in a boy. In fact, Kawamori tried to put in an amazing joke, but the producer stopped him, and it became a blooper. It was a very funny joke, so Okada will try to use it if she will have the chance.
Well, we all know what happened when Okada initially wanted to make AnoHana a raunchy romcom. She migrated her ideas to this anime! And if this wasn't as raunchy as both Okada and Kawamori wanted, have mercy on our souls on what they do with their next major project (after AKB00048) .

Quote:
-According to Okada, Satelight is a curious place. They work on schedule but they enjoy what they do. Normally you don't hold much loft events, and even if wanted to, someone would reply "now we can't do it". In Satelight they get excited as if it was a school festival. It feels like a place where you can laugh together even when you really don't have the time to. She thinks it's thanks to the fact there are people of various age groups. Nowadays in many companies you don't have adults, many people over 30 leave. In this sense Satelight doesn't feel like an anime company, but they are still full of enthusiasm. Kawamori is the most broad minded of all, and it's like all people in the staff are united to grant his wishes. Even in the most strict situations, when Kawamori gets an idea he can't be stopped. People think they are having hard, but when they see what were able to do they are amazed. While doing meeting for the scenario Okada got accustomed to travelling, she noticed she doesn't need a change of clothes if it's just one night.
Funny coming from you Ms Okada, because you know, I could say the same about you!

This interview has further supported my view that Okada and Kawamori are both batsh*t insane

Now I'm worried that Kawamori is gonna get Okada on board for the new Macross... god have mercy on our souls ...
Old 2012-07-18, 21:36   Link #1002
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

For a series where the writers seemed to focus so much romance, the romance sucked

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2012-07-19, 04:51   Link #1003
Destined_Fate

Romance to them means that the character must be overly obsessed... Stalker-like. If this was real life Amata would have been given a restraining order.

Still not over that Amata launched without orders, nearly got Zessica killed again, and everyone convienently forgets all that and forgives him. Than again everyone in the series tends to forget anything that causes Zessica suffering despite that fact that they've known Zessica longer and they're supposed to be her friends.
Old 2012-07-19, 14:02   Link #1004
Ruddfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Romance to them means that the character must be overly obsessed... Stalker-like. If this was real life Amata would have been given a restraining order.

Still not over that Amata launched without orders, nearly got Zessica killed again, and everyone convienently forgets all that and forgives him. Than again everyone in the series tends to forget anything that causes Zessica suffering despite that fact that they've known Zessica longer and they're supposed to be her friends.
Look, I'm a Zessica fan too but this is clearly Amata acting as the plot demands him to. Not saying his behavior is good (it clearly isn't and it's not consistent with the Amata seen in earlier episodes). In other words, bad writing.
Old 2012-07-20, 00:44   Link #1005
Destined_Fate

Bad Writing doesn't excuse a character's actions, however. That's what they wanted out of him and that's what he'll be remembered as long after the series is over. At least there's SRW than can fix trainwrecks and turn them into gold and Evol isn't anywhere near as bad as Destiny was, other than the the main pair being comletely horrible compared to even Angry Shinn, so this can be fixed and all the bad stuff ignored once Terada gets his hands on Evol.
Old 2012-07-20, 04:15   Link #1006
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

It'll be funnier if in some SRW, Apollo met Amata. And then punched him for being so Amata-ish

Old 2012-07-20, 06:22   Link #1007
Destined_Fate

I doubt that will happen anytime soon since Apollo's recent appearance in SRW, the Z Saga, says that he's Apollonius and Apollonius is a part of the Z saga's main plot as one of the Generals that fell before Ba-al and than reincarnated into Apollo after his death. The enemies of Z even mention Apollonius when talking to Apollo and Apollonius speaks through Apollo confirming that they're one of the same.

The time differences aren't really an issue since they can easily casuse dimensional issues or the such like they did in z2 that aged some of the cast but left the rest alone for part 2. The issue is that Evol depends on Amata and Kagura being the reincarnations of Apollo who is the reincarnation of Pollon which goes against what Z has established as its own canon.

Or they can just say Amata is the reincarnation of the Apollo/Pollon of the ZEXIS world but than how'd they hide all their mecha and base of operations for 2 games than? Would be just as big as an asspull as @3 was when they were forced to introduce Gundam SEED because of its popularity.
Old 2012-07-21, 23:59   Link #1008
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Those interviews are very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
-Okada worried a lot over Amata. This kind of "iron feel" main character can't be twisted, so he must stay flat. Okada says that there are even main characters with a crazy feel, like Dragon Ball's Goku who acted without much thought behind. He tried to consciously depict Amata like that. Amata was a meek child, but compared to Kagura, who was straightforward, he grew up a bit weird.

-Okada says Amata is the kind of people who can flip anytime even while being calm, and in that sense he was scary. Okada says he likes him although he's different from her, but she finds him scary.
I think that if they'd managed to pull the writing for that off, Amata would have been a lot more interesting. I'm rather disappointed that they (IMO) failed at it. It could probably have been done, if they had only spent more time on him and his characterisation.

Much as I like MIX, I'd have liked to see the way she was previously envisaged. A pity there could only be one of her in the end.

It sounds as if Kawamori might be a difficult person to work with.

Quote:
-Kawamori doesn't like to do things as planned till the end, so the story changed a lot from the original plan. With that way of doing things they might end up changing even the setting on a whim. Okada worried a lot over it, but she found it fun. She was very sorry for the other writers, but luckily they were all people able to cope with changes.
Ouch. So that's why things were frequently incoherent. The writers probably did their best. It was very entertaining series despite the problems.

Quote:
Interview with Kawamori part 1:
-The interviewer found Shrade a character who should have been cool but resulted weird. Kawamori agree, though he doesn't know if it was for Mari's music related words or for him opening his shirt. Unlike Sirius though, Kawamori found Shrade ok.

-Kawamori thinks of MIX losing her breast or Apollo being the reincarnation of an angel dog as a written challenge to people's shallow love.

-Apollo was always intended as the reincarnation of Pollon, but people didn't notice or didn't believe it, so in the end Kawamori didn't reveal it. He really thought people would get it just by looking at Pollon though.

-Kawamori said Pollon was meant to be a bit of a wolf, more than a simple dog. Kawamori in another interview already mentioned the legend of the twin founders of Rome who were brought up by a wolf. Their mother was called Silvia, originally a princess. Aquarion's name Silvia came from a car though.
Tsk. Shrade was both cool and weird. I wonder if Kawamori compared Shrade to Sirius because they're both supposed to be "cool" characters, or because of a possible intention to have Shrade as Sirius' reincarnation?

Shallow love, hmm. Most people were okay with MIX turning into a man, but there was more fuss about Apollo being an angel dog's reincarnation. There were reasons for that besides "ew, a dog! Apollo/Silvia is ruined forever!" - such as writing issues and Celiane/Apollonius not being an eternal romance as thought - but I did notice some of the criticisms were focused just on Pollon being a dog. Kawamori comes over as a bit pretentious, but on that score I think he's right.

Not so sure about Pollon being meant to be more of a wolf. He's all cute and fluffy! Kawamori should have made him look more like a wolf if that's the impression he wanted to give.
Old 2012-07-23, 20:59   Link #1009
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I was personally upset with them going back and changing up the original Aquarion. Even though Kawamori said he always had that twist in mind, I still doubt that's true because I think someone brought up that he said in an interview that the Pollon thing was Mari Okada's idea.

And I definitely agree with you on him being difficult to work with. Going by what Okada said in her interview made that obvious.

Overall it was bad writing and planning that hurt this series.

What do you guys think?
Old 2012-07-23, 22:04   Link #1010
Ruddfect

Well, for planning Okada even said Kawamori doesn't like to do things as planned (or plan things out since that was clearly apparent in EVOL), so that's more of a fault of Kawamori. I guess he thinks of himself as an artist or something, because it seemed like Aquarion was always that painting that he just threw stuff at and thought it looked good.

By the way, Kawamori pretty much swore that Apollo was supposed to be Pollon in his interview, but that the romance of Apollo and Silvia eclipsed that. Too bad there was no setup for it so it makes him look like a fool.

"Bad writing" is a very general way to describe what goes wrong, but it's correct.

One of the more baffling things to me is that Amata is a "flat" character. Why is he not allowed to have character development? Zessica's development is falling for Amata that influences her later actions. Mikono's development is becoming someone not useless - it kind of happened and then got thrown out the window. Kagura's development is realizing the world's not about "Sylvie" - even if it happened in the very last episode and came out of fucking nowhere.
Old 2012-07-23, 23:34   Link #1011
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddfect View Post
Well, for planning Okada even said Kawamori doesn't like to do things as planned (or plan things out since that was clearly apparent in EVOL), so that's more of a fault of Kawamori. I guess he thinks of himself as an artist or something, because it seemed like Aquarion was always that painting that he just threw stuff at and thought it looked good.

By the way, Kawamori pretty much swore that Apollo was supposed to be Pollon in his interview, but that the romance of Apollo and Silvia eclipsed that. Too bad there was no setup for it so it makes him look like a fool.

"Bad writing" is a very general way to describe what goes wrong, but it's correct.

One of the more baffling things to me is that Amata is a "flat" character. Why is he not allowed to have character development? Zessica's development is falling for Amata that influences her later actions. Mikono's development is becoming someone not useless - it kind of happened and then got thrown out the window. Kagura's development is realizing the world's not about "Sylvie" - even if it happened in the very last episode and came out of fucking nowhere.
The character development, if you can call it that, for Evol was really frustrating. Amata is a flat character. When the series started out he was just so vanilla, and they eventually turned him into a really annoying character. His every action revolved around Mikono. Zessica started out alright, but when they tried to develop her character it actually appeared that they didn't know what to do with her character for a while, then they turned her into a depressed, dependent girl whose every action revolves around trying to get Amata to like her. You pretty much hit Mikono dead center. Worst part is she was pretty much useless though most of the second half of the series and was turned into a trophy that Amata and Kagura would engage in pissing matches over. Kagura was pretty much a plot device until the last episode, where his development pretty much reeked of last minute writing just so it could resolve things between him, Amata and Mikono.

Funny part with Kagura is that the last minute character development in the final episode made him more likable than Amata.
Old 2012-07-24, 23:55   Link #1012
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Funny part with Kagura is that the last minute character development in the final episode made him more likable than Amata.
He's the best half of Amata? Without Mykage controlling and manipulating him, I mean.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2012-07-25, 04:20   Link #1013
Destined_Fate

Eh, I just like it just because he got Zessica to stop trying to get the attention of a brick like Amata who wasn't worth the time or effort.
Old 2012-08-04, 16:12   Link #1014
Shikijin

Spoiler for interview to Kawamori part 2:

Spoiler for interview with director Yamamoto:
Old 2012-08-04, 16:19   Link #1015
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:

Nice post. It really made me think like.. "ah that was what they planned to show!". Well, the anime is done and opinions given...
Old 2012-08-04, 16:29   Link #1016
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:

I have to disagree that the story flowed smoothly. I kinda buy the group effort thing. At least Yamamoto acknowledges that Amata wasn't properly developed as a character, let alone a main character. Zessica and Kagura pairing being an afterthought? Yeah, it felt like a last minute thing.

Another interesting interview. Okada's interview felt the most genuine in a sense. If anyone hasn't read the excerpts from her interview already she talked about the writing process for the show and it revealed some of the problems with the writing. Kawamori's interview rubbed me the wrong way. He sounded like he was trying to make the show seem deeper and smarter than it actually is. Yamamoto's interview seems like it's trying to make excuses for the show, like Amata's poor development.

What do you guys think?
Old 2012-08-04, 17:37   Link #1017
Ruddfect

Aside from the impression that "Everyone was incompetent", another poster put it very well - "For a series that focused so much on romance, the romance sucked". Definitely the shittiest part of the show.

Izumo was a far better villain than Kagura or Mikage - the former was a plot device throughout the show, and the latter had no actual enmity towards the good guys except for Fudo and was detached from pretty much all the drama except for "lolwingsofthesun". The fact that the heads ended up making characters (a lot of them) that were unintentionally far more popular than the ones intended is just silly.

"The original work tried but failed to suggest Fudo was Apollonius"
It obviously did, because there was no evidence of it in Sousei or EVOL until episode 25, just like how Apollo was supposed to be Pollon but there was not enough buildup for it. Pretty big failure.

"Mikage supposed to be similar to Toma"
Toma wasn't supremely overpowered. Just look at all the crap Mikage pulls in the show - he goes from manipulating emotions to being able to kill people across planets (Jin),stealing bodies (Zessica), pulling Cherubims out of nowhere (weren't these all destroyed in Sousei? Did he pull them out of time or something), controlling Ianthe's power (where the fuck did this come from), and being able to gattai all of Solar Aquarion by himself. Mikage was fabulous in the manner that he did so, but he was godlike throughout the entire show, and nearly everything was his fault. Bad writing there, imo.

There are dozens and dozens of plot threads that were brought up and left unresolved as well. Anyone remember when Mikage said "I'll see you again, Donar Dantes?" When Mikage incorrectly describes Amata and Izumo makes nothing of it? Altair never being resolved? I could go on, but I think I've made my point - things were made up as the show progressed and enjoyment of the show really suffered because of the forced drama upon everyone.
Old 2012-08-06, 02:12   Link #1018
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Sounds like too many people tried to write too many things and went into different directions. Seriously -_-

Old 2012-08-06, 11:36   Link #1019
Destined_Fate

The Kagura and Zessica scene wasn't planned after all, huh? Guess they were supposed to have been killed off but that changed during development.

And Kagura was supposed to be a woman? Eh, don't see it.
Old 2012-08-06, 12:50   Link #1020
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
And Kagura was supposed to be a woman? Eh, don't see it.
Maybe since he was opposite of Amata then his gender was also reversed, and on Altair due to being element changed into boy like MIX.
Closed Thread