AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-11-15, 01:52   Link #181
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Shouldn't the fact that Kuragehime and Usagi Drop were much more popular than Fractale, [C], and No. 6 be a sign to the executives that there is still a 'non-otaku' (I don't like that word, to be honest) audience for the time slot?
Kuragehime was a flop. Remember that TV ratings don't mean anything anymore, so it doesn't matter which showed attracted more viewers during broadcast. It's all about which show attracts the most paying customers (in which case, none of the above shows were particularly successful, although Usagi Drop did comparatively well).

As for content, cyth's post suggests that they're now looking toward game and toy makers for project investment (so far, NitroPlus and Bushiroad have been actively hooking up with anime producers), so I'm guessing that we'll see more collaborations like Guilty Crown/Black Rock Shooter and less Fractale. These new developments target the otaku audience more explicitly than previous shows.

Productions tend to reflect decisions made a couple years in advance, so [C] and Fractale were possibly negotiated around the time Eden of the East took off to reasonable success. However, it seems that another strategy is being favoured.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 06:52   Link #182
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Remember that TV ratings don't mean anything anymore, so it doesn't matter which showed attracted more viewers during broadcast. It's all about which show attracts the most paying customers
Yeah, sure, if you measure success in sales. What about general popularity? Even if viewership numbers are basically irrelevant now, they serve as a sorta reality check to see what's actually popular (not taking into account otaku and other children that watch anime online anyway). If a show doesn't sell, it doesn't mean it's not an enjoyable experience; we all know this. General audiences simply don't buy otaku goods--they'd rather be found dead than be found browsing through anime DVD sections or wearing K-ON! T-shirts--which basically means that the whole sales model was broken outside of manga/novel adaptations from the start. I thought anime tourism could help anime acceptance amongst the general populace, but it started catering solely to otaku again, residents of boonie towns where some imaginary eroge took place now filled with regrets that they ever let their towns be transformed into mini amusement parks in the same manner Akihabara was.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 13:09   Link #183
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Yeah, sure, if you measure success in sales. What about general popularity? Even if viewership numbers are basically irrelevant now, they serve as a sorta reality check to see what's actually popular (not taking into account otaku and other children that watch anime online anyway). If a show doesn't sell, it doesn't mean it's not an enjoyable experience; we all know this. General audiences simply don't buy otaku goods--they'd rather be found dead
I'm not arguing against that - just stating how a TV hit but commercial flop might be perceived by Fuji TV folks. If the mandate is to turn a profit on a production, popularity is irrelevant if it can't be monetized in some form or another.

The same goes for the otaku market. If demand for goods were to abruptly dry up, there would be no reason to keep making those shows (unless alternative forms of monetization were to be discovered), even if millions of people continued to watch or download content.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 11:54   Link #184
cyth
Banned

Well, it looks like Thermae Romae will be getting a 3-episode (mini) series on Noitamina.

Is that all the TV block is willing to give to non-otaku anime nowadays? 3 episodes, really? Maybe it's like they want to test popular manga properties before they fully commit to them. Oh, how the tables have changed.
Old 2011-12-10, 12:19   Link #185
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Well, it looks like Thermae Romae will be getting a 3-episode (mini) series on Noitamina.

Is that all the TV block is willing to give to non-otaku anime nowadays? 3 episodes, really? Maybe it's like they want to test popular manga properties before they fully commit to them.
And flash animation,really?
To me it seems like its just promotion for the live action movie.
Old 2011-12-10, 20:52   Link #186
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
20+ episodes of Guilty Crown and just 3 episodes of Thermae Romae. Oh, and Saint Oniisan is nowhere in sight.

Way to go.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 20:54   Link #187
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:

Is that all the TV block is willing to give to non-otaku anime nowadays? 3 episodes, really? Maybe it's like they want to test popular manga properties before they fully commit to them. Oh, how the tables have changed.
Thermae Romae is about as far from mainstream as you can get. There are very few types of people outside otaku who would appreciate it in the first place.
Old 2011-12-11, 05:27   Link #188
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Thermae Romae is about as far from mainstream as you can get. There are very few types of people outside otaku who would appreciate it in the first place.
I don't know, man. The fact that it got a live action film green-lit speaks of its mainstream potential.
Old 2011-12-26, 21:44   Link #189
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtshyk@MAL
According to Yamamoto Koji, the chief editor of Noitamina, Sakamichi no Apollon will be aired in Noitamina block.

Source: Yamamoto's tweet
Ohhhhh. If you haven't read about it, let me note that Sakamichi no Apollon is a josei manga. Give the series a proper treatment (so basically, 22 episodes, considering the manga is about to end with 9-10 volumes), and I'll never say noitaminA is dying again, dear Yamamoto-P. And please let Uchuu Kyoudai air alongside it rather than AKB0048.
Old 2011-12-28, 04:45   Link #190
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't know the manga, but if this is true I think that's pretty encouraging. I'm somewhat worried about the future of NoitaminA after the last couple of blocks they've rolled out, even though UN-GO grew on me in a big way.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 05:42   Link #191
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Haha, I have no clue what this manga is about either, but just knowing a josei will air on Noitamina makes me hopeful for the future of the slot.

Have an otaku-oriented anime and a more "Noitamina-ish" series airing at the same time each season could be a good compromise. Just don't let the slot completely lose its identity.
Old 2011-12-28, 06:07   Link #192
Undertaker

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
20+ episodes of Guilty Crown and just 3 episodes of Thermae Romae. Oh, and Saint Oniisan is nowhere in sight.

Way to go.
considering that Thermae Romae has only 3 volume, it's hard to argue against that decision unless you want them to ruin the series.

Personally, I'm psyched about the live Movie, with Abe and Ueda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
I'm not arguing against that - just stating how a TV hit but commercial flop might be perceived by Fuji TV folks. If the mandate is to turn a profit on a production, popularity is irrelevant if it can't be monetized in some form or another.

The same goes for the otaku market. If demand for goods were to abruptly dry up, there would be no reason to keep making those shows (unless alternative forms of monetization were to be discovered), even if millions of people continued to watch or download content.
Rating is still pretty important in that timeslot considering it is more of midnight slot than late night thus important to the advertisers.

That timeslot is dominated by young adults 20-30, the prime target for any merchandises.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-12-28 at 06:21.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 10:48   Link #193
Katapan
俺様祭り

http://www.tsuritama.com/

New Nakamura Kenji x noitaminA project launched.

Spoiler for Duck?:

Oh, I notice it's already been posted in the New Announced Anime thread, so let's say a few words about this. Ehhh, well, it is quite surprising that they let Nakamura have an original series so quickly after C, which didn't exactly do great. That's quite a bit of time to wait before we get more information though. We can probably assume that the spring line-up is Tsuritama & Apollon.
Old 2012-01-26, 15:19   Link #194
Dop
Mmmm....

Oh my god yes...

The Sakamichi no Apollon trailer.
Shinichiro Watanabe.
Yoko Kanno.
Say no more. Or at least say it on the proper thread. It's trad-Noitamina!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 15:48   Link #195
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Shinichiro Watanabe.
Yoko Kanno.
SOLD! I'm watching this no matter what now.
Old 2012-01-26, 17:00   Link #196
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Ehhh, well, it is quite surprising that they let Nakamura have an original series so quickly after C, which didn't exactly do great.
That might be the reason? Maybe he going to try and do something better this time.

In any case, I'm absolutely open to more of Nakamura's work. He has earned that much, and just because he made one recent flop won’t make me think less of him.
Old 2012-01-26, 17:24   Link #197
Dop
Mmmm....

Don't forget, Nakamura did the excellent Mononoke and the way-out Kuchu Buranko for Noitamina, so he's got a decent track record in my book.
Mononoke is for me one of the great 'Noitamina shows which really need a sequel'.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 17:36   Link #198
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
That might be the reason? Maybe he going to try and do something better this time.

In any case, I'm absolutely open to more of Nakamura's work. He has earned that much, and just because he made one recent flop won’t make me think less of him.
Yeah, of course he was going to be back. I'm sure Yamamoto places great trust in Nakamura (he should, considering how Mononoke fared), and is willing to have him on the timeslot for as long as he can -- I was just surprised at the somewhat short time lapse between C and that new work. I really thought he'd give it more time as he thought it through, or something.
But hey, I'm definitely not complaining. I'll gladly welcome that spring line-up with open arms when it comes.

I dunno if people have noticed, but the website for Tsuritama has been updated every day with a new picture ever since it was opened. Most aren't really revealing, some are scripts that I can't read (so maybe someone who can could tell us if they include juicy bits), but a few images do indicate what the show may actually look like:

Spoiler:

... only one more week of waiting.

Last edited by Katapan; 2012-01-27 at 06:39.
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 20:37   Link #199
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Oh, this is going to be awesome. Save me Watanabe. Help me to like one show from the noitaminA block (okay, I liked Eden of the East, but that's it).

Edit: Just noticed it's based off of a pre-existing manga. I'll discuss more in the actual anime topic.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2012-01-26 at 20:52.
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 20:51   Link #200
Fiemma
Fiamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Yeah, of course he was going to be back. I'm sure Yamamoto places great trust in Nakamura (he should, considering how Mononoke fared), and is willing to have him on the timeslot for as long as he can -- I was just surprised at the somewhat short time lapse between C and that new work. I really thought he'd give it more time as he thought it through, or something.
But hey, I'm definitely not complaining. I'll gladly welcome that spring line-up with open arms when it comes.

I dunno if people have noticed, but the website for Tsuritama has been updated every day with a new picture ever since it was opened. Most aren't really revealing, some are scripts that I can't read (so maybe someone who can could tell us if they include juicy bits), but a few images do indicate what the show may actually look like:

Spoiler:

... only one more week of waiting.
I personally think Character desing by Uki Atsuya its his style