AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-01-02, 16:01   Link #81
Claymore_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
As I said before Yolanda most badass nun ever, Eda doens't even come close to her.
Eyepatch & Desert Eagle VS Sunglasses & Glock

it's a nice battle!
Old 2008-01-02, 21:01   Link #82
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
Apparently I have to repeat myself.

The Lord of Nightmares' mere existence in Motoko's universe would destroy it. That does not make her more badass than Motoko. Likewise, Motoko's ability to kill every Black Lagoon character because of her technological and organizational advantages does not make her more badass.

Edit: Okay NSW already said all that like days ago or something. Never mind.

If I had to try to extract something other than a strong dislike for Black Lagoon from that rant, it would be the idea that being badass in a smart series counts more to you than being a badass in a series where all the characters are caricatures of some Hollywood notion of badassery. Having 'badassness' as a derived attribute from your actual qualities as a character should mean more than being designed around the image.

Is that what you're saying?
Not quite....

I understand how you wanna blow-off my last post (blah, blah, blah) since you can't defend your arguments (Hell making people do that is kinda my specialty), but atleast give a better effort than this...As if I was just saying what I was saying because I hate Black Lagoon...On the contrary I really liked Black Lagoon (well atleast the first half of the series before it got more pretentious than I could take), I just didn't love it...Gave it a strong 7/10 though...

IMO Motoko is probably the most bada$$ female character perhaps in the history of anime (She's easily one of the most influential female characters ever)...It's not just the fact that she could easily dispose of every "bada$$" character in Black Lagoon...It's her command as a lead character in a genre owned by men characters...To be in a genre devoid of magic powers, shonen or shojo power-ups, or invincibility to a trillion bullet shots (alla Revy) she stands supreme...

Additionally all of this is subjective...I mean duh, I just made an argument that makes my definition of bada$$ery (whatever that may be) not necessarily include characters like Revy or whomever else...I chose to look at a bada$$ chick in the context of something a bit more tangible is all...I watched Revy and company for fun, but if I really wanted to see a chck kick-a$$ in a mercenary fashion I'd watch Golgo 13 Queen Bee or something...Honestly some of Revy's exploits are more over-the-top or pretentious than bada$$ to me because of the show's context (which started off kinda acceptable then spiraled into just an ode to Quentin Tarentino or something)...

I mean if I was to put this into e-penis terms, having an insane roof-top shoot-out (where bullets don't hit $hit) while discussing whether or not you've boned a former nerd is less bada$$ to me than killing entities systematically bent on crippling all of society in which Motoko does in a ridiculously meticulous and full characterized way...So I guess in this debate I'm rejecting style over substance...No need to take it personally, however I will scrape characters off the bottom of my shoe to prove a point if need be...
Old 2008-01-02, 21:21   Link #83
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Revy with all her "I shoot a thousand bullets but don't hit $hit...,"
The times she has emptied clips with no result were when she was against major antagonists and not red coats, I mean antagonists like Roberta and Gin.

Badass does not boil down to combat feats, it is also about attitude, aura and memorable lines.

In that regard, my top pick would be Balalaika, she is like the Mount Vesuvius, you don't want to be around her when she gets pissed.

And before you bring the "LURK MOAR" card, I READ GITS and have collected about all the series.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 15:26   Link #84
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Not quite....

I understand how you wanna blow-off my last post (blah, blah, blah) since you can't defend your arguments (Hell making people do that is kinda my specialty), but atleast give a better effort than this...
I'm gonna suggest you find a 'specialty' better-suited to your skills. I blew off your post because it you spent the entire first paragraph arguing about some Balalaika's organization vs Motoko's organization matchup, and most of the second repeating your argument that Motoko is more badass just because she's more skilled. Only the last sentence was responsive.

But, fine, we can go quote-by-quote if you think that's the only way to defend an argument.

Quote:
As if I was just saying what I was saying because I hate Black Lagoon...On the contrary I really liked Black Lagoon (well atleast the first half of the series before it got more pretentious than I could take), I just didn't love it...Gave it a strong 7/10 though...
Yeah...

Quote:
..In the retarded plot world of Black Lagoon you can get away with large-scale sadistic megalomaniac murder (Then drink a beer while groping yourself)
...I'm really feeling the love. I'll take your word that you don't hate it, I guess, but you have a gift for vitriolic hyperbole when it comes to comparisons with Motoko that'd make anyone doubt it.

Since you were complaining about my lack of effort, I'll do a two-for-one for ya and send that last post on its merry way.

Quote:
Seriously have you watched, Gits, Gits innocence, GITSSAC, GITSSAC2?? If you had you'd know Motoko operates with a full cybernetic team that routinely takes care of wannabe bada$$ back-up artillery (Even full militia's and terrorist organizations a million times more complex in cell make-up than anything Balalaika could even conceptialize)...In the retarded plot world of Black Lagoon you can get away with large-scale sadistic megalomaniac murder (Then drink a beer while groping yourself), but in the realistic context of the Gits world Balalaika is just a one episode arc character, trust that...Tachicoma's would have the warehouse fully swept before Balalaika's lackeys could even watch the plastic on the explosion charge dry (There's no need for me to mention an A or B option)...Motoko travels into cyber networks to battle the agendas of brilliant self-realizing, self-deprecating artificial intelligent manifestations...I doubt Balalaika's best laid plans would make her sweat much...
Repeating my last post here, but since quoting seems to be an issue: Of course Motoko's organization could squash Balalaika's; they're a century ahead of them in technology and no doubt better-funded. My point was not that Balalaika would win but that I didn't think you had any understanding of why she's considered fearsome if you thought she'd stick around for a one-on-on duel. Like I said in my first response, street war- assembling her network and disassembling other people's- is her forte. Yes I understand that you think Motoko is better at this as well, but I was never arguing that Balalaika was better in the first place (frankly, I haven't seen enough GitS to know) so that isn't really material.

Quote:
Anyone that's bada$$ and can get taken out in under a minute ain't bada$$ enuff and Motoko's agency skills are a thousand times more deadly than randomly shooting 80 clips without hitting jack or puffing a cuban with a ZOMG scar on your face for dramatic effect...
I feel compelled to point out that puffing a Cuban with a ZOMG scar on your face is not, in fact, deadly at all, except maybe through secondhand smoke. As for actual argument: this is just more 'Motoko is more skilled.' Which, I think we've agreed, doesn't necessarily make you the greater badass.

Quote:
It isn't just the fact that Motoko is both a physical and mental mismatch for every woman character in Black Lagoon, she exhibits a jaded, yet non-chalant and passive attitude against opponents unworthy of her full output...
Now you're getting somewhere. I'd say the Black Lagoon crew is jaded too, but they aren't quite nonchalant... instead Revy has that sneering disrespect for inferior opponents and bloodlust, Roberta has that post-ideological rage of hers, and Balalaika...

Well, Balalaika's weird. She was all business up until the end, but she got kind of crazy in that last arc. But yeah. None of them are nonchalant.

Quote:
The thing that turned me off about the second season of BL is the characters became so pretentious...Like they hired a fake Quentin Tarentino to write the characters or something...So you can have your fictitious Russian mafia's ruled by former blonde pagent winners, because when it comes to Motoko what's bada$$ (Besides her entire persona) is her results...
Honestly, I saw it that way from the beginning. If not actually like Pulp Fiction, then at least like pulp fiction in the same way.

Quote:
IMO Motoko is probably the most bada$$ female character perhaps in the history of anime (She's easily one of the most influential female characters ever)...It's not just the fact that she could easily dispose of every "bada$$" character in Black Lagoon...It's her command as a lead character in a genre owned by men characters...To be in a genre devoid of magic powers, shonen or shojo power-ups, or invincibility to a trillion bullet shots (alla Revy) she stands supreme...

Additionally all of this is subjective...I mean duh, I just made an argument that makes my definition of bada$$ery (whatever that may be) not necessarily include characters like Revy or whomever else...I chose to look at a bada$$ chick in the context of something a bit more tangible is all...I watched Revy and company for fun, but if I really wanted to see a chck kick-a$$ in a mercenary fashion I'd watch Golgo 13 Queen Bee or something...Honestly some of Revy's exploits are more over-the-top or pretentious than bada$$ to me because of the show's context (which started off kinda acceptable then spiraled into just an ode to Quentin Tarentino or something)...

I mean if I was to put this into e-penis terms, having an insane roof-top shoot-out (where bullets don't hit $hit) while discussing whether or not you've boned a former nerd is less bada$$ to me than killing entities systematically bent on crippling all of society in which Motoko does in a ridiculously meticulous and full characterized way...So I guess in this debate I'm rejecting style over substance...No need to take it personally, however I will scrape characters off the bottom of my shoe to prove a point if need be...
See, that's a post actually worth quoting. Good job, gold star.

And there's the difference. I like over-the-top stuff. For me, the chase scene with Roberta was what made Black Lagoon a favorite, but I also loved the Roanapur Freak Show arc just because it highlighted the craziness of the BL setting with its rogues' gallery of mercenaries. I might agree with you that Motoko is the bigger badass in the end- I like characters to be developed too, and it's a bias I'd bring to the table- but I don't have your bias against the Black Lagoon characters for being ridiculous. Doesn't totally destroy their images for me the way it sounds like it does for you.

And just for the record since NSW also seems to have gotten the wrong idea from that 'Semtex Surprise' comment, I only consider the Black Lagoon Three runners-up and don't have any opinion on whether they're more badass than Motoko or not, I was just offended by your characterization of Balalaika and thought that for going on about how much Motoko owned the thread or whatever you should at least provide an argument that doesn't depend on her ability to kill the BL characters.

If you want to get into a real character vs character argument my vote still goes to Lan Fan. Sure it's badass to be perfect and win all the time, but a character that can sacrifice for others, get maimed, and still come back and make you really believe that the next person who gets in her way is going to end up with a couple of knives in their eyes is even better IMO. And I've always liked the highly dedicated knight-types over the more casual view of badassness, which is why I also put Signum in my runners-up list (besides the fact that I'm just generally a fanboy for her).

As a side note I also wish I could vote for Triela... some of her scenes in the manga she's very fierce... but unfortunately that tsundere thing she has going with Hirscher totally ruins the effect.

Last edited by Kikaifan; 2008-01-03 at 15:49. Reason: language~ ...also grammar, I'm a little bit OCD about fixing it when I see mistakes.
Kikaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 21:27   Link #85
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathscythe H View Post
Ran Asuka (from Devil Lady)
Reina Soho ( from Witchblade)
Shiori Tsuzuki (also from Witchblade)
Spoiler for end of Devilman Lady:

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2008-01-04 at 02:06. Reason: added label to spoiler tag
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 04:37   Link #86
Naja_Raja

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
There's no way this title does not meritoriously go to Teresa, 182nd warrior of the 77th class, rank number 1.
QFT though I will also throw in a vote for Ophelia based purely on psychotic merit and Helen as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
My vote goes to Saber.
Iiiiiiie. Rider gets the vote from FSN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist2123 View Post
I think so too. But i wanted to punch my screen when.... You know what happened
I cried.

Lala from School Rumble, naturally.

Revy, Eda, AND Balalaika

Real from Ergo Proxy

Souma from Tsubasa Chronicles.

Juri from Revolutionary Girl Utena

Natsuki. On so many levels, Natsuki.
Naja_Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 05:32   Link #87
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Chloe, Kirika - Noir
Teresa, Clare - Claymore
Nadie - El Cazador de la Bruja
Kumiko - Gokusen
Mai - Kanon (2006)
Nausicaa - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Saber - Fate/Stay Night

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 05:37   Link #88
xorsyst
Otaku Pride!

Send a message via AIM to xorsyst Send a message via MSN to xorsyst Send a message via Yahoo to xorsyst
haha, yea definitely Kumiko. Hmm
Kanu Uncho and Ryomo Shimei from Ikki Tousen
Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop when she felt like being bad ass.
xorsyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 15:34   Link #89
siber222000
미, 미, 미 미쿠루빔~!!!

um... HARUHI! DDDD

another one is....

SIA FROM SHUFFLE!
Old 2008-01-10, 15:45   Link #90
siber222000
미, 미, 미 미쿠루빔~!!!

*FUCK LAG! sry for double post*
Old 2008-01-10, 16:02   Link #91
roninhobbit
Roboguzu

I'm gonna have to throw out a little love for Kanu Unchou from Ikki Tousen. Sure, I know she's not as powerful as some of the girls on this list, but she breaks her own arm to escape a hold, and then fights with only her legs. I'd say that qualifies as badass.
roninhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 18:23   Link #92
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I vote Teresa of the Faint Smile from Claymore. You can't really get more badass than beating down the 4 other members of the top 5.
Old 2008-01-10, 23:58   Link #93
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Irene~Claymore
Tsunade~Naruto
Old 2008-01-12, 19:31   Link #94
xlolita_chanx
smoosh-able...
*Artist

I say Major Motoko from GitS...I like the fact that she has feelings and isn't just all about fighting...
xlolita_chanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 14:40   Link #95
x1berserk

Teresa - claymore
Lucy - Elfen Lied
Misato - Evangelion
x1berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 22:44   Link #96
geckleon91
Shunpo!Shunko!

Quote:
Major Motoko (GITSSAC) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ALL

Honerable mention:

Fllay Allstar (Gundam SEED)
Yourichi (Bleach)
Mikura (Mezzo)
hell yea. Motoko from ghost in the shell definitely wins in my book. Yourichi is pretty awesome as well
geckleon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 21:23   Link #97
Akamu
"The Fearless One"

Would anyone happen to know the anime about a girl ex-gymnast who gets into street fights? The names of the people from that anime escape me, I didn't really care for it, but she was the essence of "bad ass."
Akamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 21:42   Link #98
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

I think most of us agree with the Motoko assessment :P

However, I'd say that my thought would lie still with Saber, of course not the Saber from the anime or even the first part of the game...we'll have to go with her corrupted beast form. Of course, this could be said about any character when they get that 'corrupted' arc in them which is almost entirely found in every anime/game known to man somewhere :P
Old 2008-01-16, 00:53   Link #99
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akamu View Post
Would anyone happen to know the anime about a girl ex-gymnast who gets into street fights? The names of the people from that anime escape me, I didn't really care for it, but she was the essence of "bad ass."
Guess you missed these posts...
Quote:
Can't believe she slipped my mind...Talk about a sleeper pick...Good job!

Anyone that makes gymnastics that bada$$ by converting it into a deadly street fighting style needs to be mentioned ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu View Post
Pretty sure you're talking about Aikawa Maki. She's badass too, but Yuki is better looking.
Old 2008-01-16, 06:20   Link #100
SolarNova
Alone in the dark

Ok my turn

Only nominating characters from 3 series otherwise the list would be to long lol

Revy, Eda, And Balalaika ( Black Lagoon ) <Obviously

Major Motoko ( GiTs ) < again obviously

Jo ( Burst Angel ) < didnt see her mentioned which surprised me
SolarNova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime