AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 44 31.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 32.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 19.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 8.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 5.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-01, 10:05   Link #341
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Haruhi S2 isn't entirely a moe show after all besides from Mikuru.
Yeah, disregard Noizi Ito who draws exactly moemoe stuff.
Old 2009-09-01, 10:13   Link #342
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Clannad in my experience of watching both seasons, it have little or no difference in art style
Clannad only had about half a year between it and After Story. Haruhi had, what was it? Almost a full three years? That isn't really a good comparison, you know.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-01, 11:18   Link #343
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
KyoAni-revised KEY design is definitely better than the original.

Durr... I see more qq in any E8 thread (from 2-7) than all of these here combined. Explain.
What's 'qq'? Anyway, if you're talking about criticism... I'm seeing plenty on those Shana episodes threads, particularly the last two ones. Roughly one out of every two posts on the latter two Shana episode threads are critiquing the lack of action/overabundance of slice of life during the first half of Shana Season II.

And, really, E8 is just the same... except on steroids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Clannad only had about half a year between it and After Story. Haruhi had, what was it? Almost a full three years? That isn't really a good comparison, you know.
I can understand KyoAni being rusty, and hence taking awhile to get back into the groove of using the 2006 art style. But, if the art style is widely acclaimed (and 2006 Haruhi's was, from what I read and saw), and your fans are happy with it... why change it?

Now maybe they simply are getting back into the groove with these latest Sighs episodes, and if so, great. But there's just no good rationale, imo, for a dramatic and permanent art style change when the fans were quite happy with the artwork as it was.

Edit: Anyway... this is probably going to be my last post on the topic of the art style unless it switches hugely on us in the next episode (one way or the other). I can see that this is an uncomfortable topic for some people (even moreso than E8 it seems), so it's probably time for me to let this issue go. I feel like I've expressed my sentiments/thoughts on the issue well enough and comprehensively enough at this point that people, hopefully, can at least see where I'm coming from, even if they don't agree with me.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-09-01 at 12:33.
Old 2009-09-01, 12:32   Link #344
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"qq" or "QQ" is lame gaming shorthand emoty for "crying and whining"

I figure the more fantastic the setting or plot... the better it is if the art style is more realistic (or in this case more "adult/seinen"). It adds to the ability to "immerse" or "suspend disbelief" to enjoy the story. The more cartoonish the art style, the less likely this is to happen. Watch Kyon's expressions now versus his expressions in the first season. Both communicate his feelings well -- but the first season had a more "adult realistic drama" feel to it.

Look, it doesn't annihilate my enjoyment of the series -- but it is a few drops of disappointment with the change. I still need to sit down and watch the entire mess of "SHnY 2.0" to see how these new episodes interweave with the old episodes artistically. My fear is that they're going to be as jarring as that mess of a recap of "Shuffle! Memories" where scenes from many different episodes were spliced together and it slammed in your face just how all over the ball park and sloppy they'd been in that series.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-09-01 at 15:20.
Old 2009-09-01, 14:14   Link #345
JeromeREC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Nice theory. Just remove Lucky Star from it, as neither Kannon nor Clannad have nothing similar to it

I also think Haruhi 2009 don't have a fixed style. Each episode of EE are different. And Sigh's episodes have the art changing a little every week.
Huh? Sigh's episodes have a minor art changes? Well, I didn't get to notice it when I watched this episode. Better to re-watch it again.
Old 2009-09-01, 14:35   Link #346
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

On the note of KyoAni throwing out a Clannad OVA during Endless Eight, they through out a Full Metal Panic! OVA out during the 2006 run of Haruhi....the Tessa OVA. (fanservice)
Old 2009-09-01, 14:36   Link #347
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I'll just say that Mikuru is about as sweet as honey in this episode.
Spoiler for Along that line of thought...:
Old 2009-09-01, 14:40   Link #348
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

She fills that out nicely when she's not panicing or crying.
Old 2009-09-01, 17:37   Link #349
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
I'm guessing that Full Metal Panic would be a better example since the first season finished in 2003 and the second in 2005 which makes it nearly 2 years... but I don't know if Fumoffu can be considered a first season, but I haven't actually watch that series... but I'm guessing the art style was consistant in contrast to Haruhi 2.

Also, in the filming, I noticed the art style shift again since it looks completely different in the scene when Mikuru was being video taped which looks a bit better than the new style.
Old 2009-09-01, 21:22   Link #350
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I'm guessing that Full Metal Panic would be a better example since the first season finished in 2003 and the second in 2005 which makes it nearly 2 years... but I don't know if Fumoffu can be considered a first season, but I haven't actually watch that series... but I'm guessing the art style was consistant in contrast to Haruhi 2.

Also, in the filming, I noticed the art style shift again since it looks completely different in the scene when Mikuru was being video taped which looks a bit better than the new style.

Fumoffu and TSR had a noticeable difference in art style. Some people feels that the golden standard of animation quality of KyotoAnimation started with TSR. Tough guess.

I am disappointed that KyotoAni has picked up more and more of this moe nonsense over the years. Yet, I don't think this trend will be stopped. Hopefully the Haruhi director will right the ship and steer clear of popular culture while making fun of it. Well, I suppose Haruhi IS popular culture...
Old 2009-09-02, 00:57   Link #351
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Anyway, back to the episode...

From where is that Machlite Fab reference? I'm assuming it's from another mecha show since it's Kyon who mentioned it.

Seems nobody mentioned yet Yuki's eating of a long strand of noodle when they were having lunch. I'm not sure how widespread in Asia this superstition is, but in our country, long strands of noodles signify long life.
Old 2009-09-02, 09:15   Link #352
Sho-tan
Seitenkan's Shota

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post

Seems nobody mentioned yet Yuki's eating of a long strand of noodle when they were having lunch. I'm not sure how widespread in Asia this superstition is, but in our country, long strands of noodles signify long life.
Well she is an interface. I'm assuming that interfaces wouldn't die of old age.
Old 2009-09-02, 09:36   Link #353
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Yeah, they just get their links terminated...

Poor Asakura...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-09-02, 18:03   Link #354
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Talking about Yuki eating, the first thing I thought of when seeing her eating in this episode is "moe!"

Damn, the way she holds the chopsticks and cup just screams moe to me.
Old 2009-09-02, 18:05   Link #355
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Holy crap, how could have not brought up the noodles? Well, I'm Chinese and there is also the long noodle= long life thingy.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-09-02, 23:29   Link #356
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Talking about Yuki eating, the first thing I thought of when seeing her eating in this episode is "moe!"

Damn, the way she holds the chopsticks and cup just screams moe to me.
Well, even Yuki glance are moe for me. With a character like Yuki, almost any kind of cute action could be moe... For me, of course, haha.

I'm loving these episodes. I didn't knew Sighs was so long, but either way it's really nice, besides Yuki should wear the cape in every episode, she's soooo cute with it.
Old 2009-09-03, 00:03   Link #357
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Holy crap, how could have not brought up the noodles? Well, I'm Chinese and there is also the long noodle= long life thingy.
Actually Yuki have long lives, that's certain. That screen more of proving the "Long noodle string= long life" Myth is actually truth ^^

Mikuru have to thank Haruhi. Cause without her, Mikuru will flood her shoe boxes with love letters and the school with stalkers + lolicon.
This chapter confirm Mikuru moeblob role once again
Old 2009-09-03, 02:58   Link #358
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ah yes, as Endless Eight would have it, Yuki would be eating some really long noodles. >.<

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-09-03, 05:34   Link #359
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I don't think that it factors in artificially enhanced lifespans.
Old 2009-09-03, 05:50   Link #360
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I don't think that it factors in artificially enhanced lifespans.
She's not such much artificially enhanced as "more alive than alive". Yuki cannot be harmed by anything that is stuck in the time stream. "Life Span" is a term that applies to "how long you exist in time", but for Yuki "time" itself is optional.