AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-15, 22:14   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Penguin Drum - Character Discussion - Takakura Shouma

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Takakura Shouma related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Mawaru Penguin Drum fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-09-16, 15:14   Link #2
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
What I like about Shouma is that he plays the relatively down-to-Earth straight-man in this. In other words, he wants to save his sister, but he still has strong (and fairly conventional) moral values, as well as concern for other people in general. There's lines he's not willing to cross, and I think that probably makes him easier for the audience to relate to.

Shouma and Kanba make good foils to one another.

I do think that Shouma has developed some feelings for Ringo.

As well-intentioned as Shouma is, I don't know if he'd throw himself in front of a car for just anyone. And the fact that he showed concern over some light bruises on Ringo's knees when he himself had just awoken from a severe concussion and was hospitalized, is really something else.
Old 2011-09-16, 15:44   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Bluntly, Shouma is the only likable character in the story so far, and that makes him pretty important. Kanba is a creepy SOB, I won't start in on Ringo and as for Himari - well, maybe there's potential there if she gets fleshed out.
Old 2011-09-16, 16:11   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Shoma is the one you can relate to the most since he's the only in the enitre cast who doesn't have issues.
Old 2011-09-16, 16:49   Link #5
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Shoma doesn't have issues.
Oh but I'm sure he does. The series has yet to focus on his past, but I'm sure we'll get to it soon enough.

Anyway, I mostly agree with Guardian Enzo that Shouma is the only likable character so far. He's the only character I have some emotional attachment to at the very least. Quite frankly, I just don't even care about Kanba. He could die next episode it wouldn't affect me in the sightless.

I do hope Himari will get a bit more development. Even after episode 9, she still feels more like a device than a proper character.
Old 2011-09-16, 17:17   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think Shouma has issues too, but they're likely the sort of issues that won't make him unlikable and might even make him more sympathetic.
Old 2011-09-16, 17:22   Link #7
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think Shouma has issues too, but they're likely the sort of issues that won't make him unlikable and might even make him more sympathetic.
Agreed.

I could see him feeling lonely and unwanted/unneeded - He probably feels like a second fiddle to Kanba. Perhaps he's felt that way his entire life.

Would help to explain how he's clearly grown attached to Ringo, who is someone who has relied upon him a lot, to put it mildly.
Old 2011-09-16, 17:25   Link #8
Blaat

Shouma definitely has issues, for one thing he is as gluttonous as his penguin. I mean in the latest episode he started with the desert (pudding) which really should be kept as last. ;p
Old 2011-09-16, 17:31   Link #9
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Agreed.

I could see him feeling lonely and unwanted/unneeded - He probably feels like a second fiddle to Kanba. Perhaps he's felt that way his entire life.
I'd wish it was just that, but I think his secret is the worse of them all. I don't have anything concrete to support this though, it's just a feeling I've got.
Old 2011-09-16, 19:34   Link #10
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I'd wish it was just that, but I think his secret is the worse of them all. I don't have anything concrete to support this though, it's just a feeling I've got.
I don't know if I would say "worst of all" and I am not sure if it even just concerns Shouma.

But I do agree that there is something much darker about Shouma than meets the eye and he IS hiding something.
Old 2011-09-16, 19:39   Link #11
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
and considering the creator of this anime

but i agree. i definitely think he's hiding something BIG too. we've already got a glimpse of the other takakura siblings so save the best for last and all that.

he's quite likable though and i'm enjoying how he's painted as a passive character but he's the only one who's actively trying to obtain the penguindrum.
Old 2011-09-16, 19:59   Link #12
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Shouma is boss.

Spoiler for Ep 10:
Old 2011-09-17, 08:44   Link #13
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Anyway, I mostly agree with Guardian Enzo that Shouma is the only likable character so far.
What about Himari?

I'd like to see more regarding Shouma's secret past pretty soon. It'll help, because at the moment it's hard to look at him at being more then just the guy who's being caught up in this whole mess without having any real connection apart from wanting to save his sister.
Old 2011-09-17, 08:52   Link #14
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
What about Himari?
That depends on what she's going to do from now on. Learning about her past was cool and all, but if she doesn't have any proactive role in the story and remains being just an object of motivation for her brothers, all that character building will be pointless.

There is still plenty of time for her to have a more active role so I'm not giving up on her yet. Shouma is still my favorite by far though.

Quote:
I'd like to see more regarding Shouma's secret past pretty soon. It'll help, because at the moment it's hard to look at him at being more then just the guy who's being caught up in this whole mess without having any real connection apart from wanting to save his sister.
I agree with this. He may have had more screentime that all the other mains, but he’s the one we know less about. We know about Ringo’s, Himari’s and Kanba’s pasts; what motivates them, what shaped them to be who they are now. But nothing about Shouma.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-09-17 at 17:51.
Old 2011-09-17, 08:55   Link #15
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Shoma is the one you can relate to the most since he's the only in the enitre cast who doesn't have issues.
You can't be saying that none of us here have ever lusted after our sister's sleeping face, or camped under the floor and stalked our crush's house through the night....

....oh wait, no one here did that before?

Joking aside, why do you guys dislike Kanba? I kinda hate him after that ending in ep 1, but all were forgiven after he pulled himself along that truck holding a toy crane, to save his sister. Ringo was kinda annoyed for the first few episodes, but start to feels sympathy for her after knowing her childhood. Himari + PoC? What to hate about them?

In short i love the casts so far
Old 2011-09-17, 09:03   Link #16
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Joking aside, why do you guys dislike Kanba? I kinda hate him after that ending in ep 1, but all were forgiven after he pulled himself along that truck holding a toy crane, to save his sister. Ringo was kinda annoyed for the first few episodes, but start to feels sympathy for her after knowing her childhood. Himari + PoC? What to hate about them?
Agreed that was the episode that made me like Kanba as well

Personally I like the main 4: Shouma, Ringo, Kanba, & Himari.

I was a little unsure about Himari at first but she won me over in episode 9.

But since this is the Shouma thread I will say he is definitely the most relate-able of the main characters. I guess the audience sort of sees the abnormal things going on through his eyes. However make no mistake I think Shouma is not as well adjusted as he might first appear.
Old 2011-09-17, 09:06   Link #17
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I don't dislike Kanba, though i can pretty much understand why people would. The playboy role isn't always that well liked, especially with the 'i'm better then everyone' personality Kanba has been played up as having.

Also, this is a conversation we should be having in the Character Discussion - Takakura Kanba thread.

Going back to Shouma, it will be interesting to see who's opinion on him will change after we eventually find out more about his secret past. It's sure to change some people's views on him.

& it shouldn't be a surprise that my favourite character at the moment is Sanetoshi.
Old 2011-09-17, 09:11   Link #18
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
I don't dislike Kanba, though i can pretty much understand why people would. The playboy role isn't always that well liked, especially with the 'i'm better then everyone' personality Kanba has been played up as having.

Also, this is a conversation we should be having in the Character Discussion - Takakura Kanba thread.

Going back to Shouma, it will be interesting to see who's opinion on him will change after we eventually find out more about his secret past. It's sure to change some people's views on him.

& it shouldn't be a surprise that my favourite character at the moment is Sanetoshi.
Well we still haven't adapt to the new sub-forum yet i guess. I means just several hours ago, we were discussing how painful Kanba should die, while ship on Himari's love, and try to figure out the truth to the existence of humanity in the same thread

Shouma also doesn't have such a dynamic characters for us to sorely focus on. In fact, when talk about SHouma, we only can talk about his reactions toward others
Old 2011-09-17, 09:13   Link #19
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I means just several hours ago, we were discussing how painful Kanba should die, while ship on Hiamri's love, and try to figure out the existence of humanity in the same thread
I kinda liked that. Now I have to keep track of several threads at the same time it's kind of a pain.

Quote:
Shouma also doesn't have such a dynamic characters for us to sorely focus on. In fact, when talk about SHouma, we only can talk about his reactions to others
That's because he lacks a goal of his own. He's just doing what others (Kanba mostly) tell him to do. He needs his own motivations and specific goals.
Old 2011-09-17, 09:17   Link #20
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I kinda liked that. Now I have to keep track of several threads at the same time it's kind of a pain.
Hear i am thinking i was the only one who prefers single threads over a sub-forum.

Tags
characters