AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 65 43.92%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 44 29.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 16.89%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 5.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.68%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.68%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-09, 11:10   Link #41
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Okay, so unlike the previous times when I waited for the high-quality subs to appear before getting my fix, I decided to go straight for the first one that came out this time (we all know which one, but since the fansubbers asked me not to do it a long time ago, I shall not name names. ). You know, there is a really noticable difference between the .avi and the .mkv versions.....which means that even though I've got my fix, I'm getting the .mkv version too when it comes out.

Alright, so on to Episode 19. Just like Episode 11, which I considered an episode that suffered "backlash" from the very well-done Episode 10 of Makoto's finale, Episode 19 similarly suffered the same "backlash"; specifically lower-than-usual-for-KyoAni animation quality (no doubt the result of KyoAni throwing money like it was nothing at the previous two episodes), and a jarring change in mood. However, Episode 19 seemed to suffer even more severely from "backlash" than Episode 11 did; apart from animation quality, this is the first time I felt that KyoAni didn't do quite enough to soften the impact of the "backlash". Hence, I am going to compare Episode 19 to Episode 11, since they're essentially similar in their roles in the entire series thus far.

For one thing, it felt like Yuuichi bounced back a little too quickly from Shiori; in Episode 11, there were still some minutes dedicated to the memory of Makoto before life went on as usual, while Episode 19 jumped straight into the "7 years ago..." flashback, followed by the OP and only then did they show Yuuichi back at home, thinking about Shiori....and even then only for a few seconds before Ayu butted in. My view is that a better way of handling it might have been; show Yuuichi arriving home looking depressed in his own quiet way, then OP, then flashback linked into Yuuichi waking up and going to the balcony. Otherwise, the way KyoAni did it merely made it look like they were rushed for time or something; I didn't quite get the feeling of Shiori holding down a place in Yuuichi's mind like Makoto did.

Secondly, while I'm comparing Episode 19 to Episode 11, it's not a perfect comparison; Ep 11 was clearly a much-needed breather from the emotional weight of Makoto's conclusion, while Ep 19 jumped right into the Ayu path without the chance for a breather. It felt kind of rushed somehow, and again gave me the impression that KyoAni's storyboarders are starting to feel the pinch of time.

Next, let's go to the timeframe 17:42-17:50 onwards. In this timeframe, you see Nayuki telling Yuuichi that school's over......but when the scene changes to in front of the train station, how come Yuuichi's alone? Where the heck did Nayuki go? Not like I'm expecting her to tag along like the little puppy she was so unfortunately portrayed as in Toei and the manga.....but at least say something about where she is, KyoAni!!! Heck, if you tell me she has some things to settle with the track team despite the tournament being over, I'd accept it. But entirely no explanation at all?

And finally, the conversation between Ayu and Yuuichi shifted into the "Do you have a memory of losing someone" portion rather too quickly. That is the kind of topic you don't just drop into a casual conversation; not that there wasn't any build-up per se, I just thought it could have done with more. For me, that sudden shift in mood was just as much out of left field for me, as
Spoiler:
apparently was for a lot of you.

In conclusion, Episode 19 felt like KyoAni trying to cram material more suited for two episodes into one, and it felt squashed, tasting like canned tuna. Therefore, my lowest score yet for Kanon 2k6; a 7. The overall quality animation, which is still a lot better than many other animes despite the compromise by KyoAni's standards, is what saved it from going lower, and therefore breaking the baseline score I've set so far for this series. And really, you can't go wrong with a panning shot of that last scene.

On the lighter side of things, if I liked Nayuki back then, I most definitely love her now. This is a more mature, more stoic, and therefore more believable Nayuki than the overly-kind, overly self-sacrificing of Toei's Nayuki, or the entirely uncharactistic genki-ness of manga Nayuki. While manga Nayuki was pretty much written out of the picture altogether and thus has nothing on either anime versions of herself, Toei's Nayuki was merely the generic jealous-depressed neglected party.....the precursor to psycho-Kaede, if you will. Which doesn't speak very well for her as a character. However, KyoAni Nayuki's ability to take things in her stride not only makes her more likeable as a whole,
Spoiler for I'm serious, first-time viewers. Do NOT open this if you don't want to be spoiled badly:

06:10-06:18, proof that Nayuki-sama is indeed a household name in her own right, and doesn't have to play second fiddle to anyone.

08:55, Garten of Memento secret-tagged this scene in his blog as "unfair advantage".

Best. Laugh. Ever.

17:36-17:41, the dreaded depressed-Jun-talking-about-Shiori scene in Episode 18's preview turned out to be nothing more than a bored Jun saying something opposite to expectations! I am SOOOO going to kill someone at KyoAni for toying with my fears.

EDIT: As of the time of my voting, I actually cast the lowest vote thus far of everyone! Wow. How often does Ascaloth prop up the bottom of this particular series, huh?
Old 2007-02-09, 11:43   Link #42
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

I shelled out a perfect 10 both because a) this episode was truly surprising, in the good way - the ending left me hanging for even more, and b) we're finally into the story arc I've been anticipating for months. The other girls are all very beautiful characters in their own right, but for me, nobody tops Ayu.

That said, a new avatar is in order.
Old 2007-02-09, 12:39   Link #43
Asianknight82
Banned

IT ENDED TOO SOON!!!!

Great episode nonetheless. Yuuichi had a thing for Ayu from seven years ago, even Nayuki acknowledged it. I think he finally realized it, and thats probably what led to what happened at the end of the episode.
Old 2007-02-09, 13:05   Link #44
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
nani nani nani!? ~ i dont believe the last 30 secs of this...the whole event just truly crapped on top of my head

well material wise i thought about giving this ep an 8 but the last scenes pushed it up to a 9 *cough*

well now nayuki ~ she knows more that what shes letting on imo ~ in the convo between her and yuuichi in the cafe strongly hints that nayuki is in love with yuuichi even to this day ~ but mr blockhead cant figure that out even with the strong hints the irony of yuuichi saying that nayuki's chosen man must lead a stressful personality gave me a bit of a giggle ~

and moving onto more of the meat stuff ~ ayu ayu's arc is finally here ~ the flashbacks to the past was interesting ~ such a close relationship between the two ~ and the headband was given by yuuichi O.o man i hate it when im wrong

the emotional trigger that ayu gives yuuichi was kinda random ~ why bring up sad memories? that then made yuuichi think about loosing important peoples...but multiply that by 3 ~ amazing how he hasnt broken down yet ~ and in his moment of weakness ayu manages to steal...his kiss~ oh my god O.o

funny stuff:

jun going "WAHT!!!" to ayu's real age

nayuki "falling in"

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-02-09, 13:28   Link #45
Raniie

KyoAni toying with us again in the preview, showing clips of Ayu undergoing Makoto's ill-fate. Lucky, we can't trust the preview anymore, since KyoAni has misled us viewer too many times.

The message in the preview is kinda interesting to say the least, too.

Ayu: Okay, we'll part-ways here.
Ayu: Don't forget about our after-school promise.

I'm assuming Yuuichi probably asked Ayu (or Ayu asked) to hangout together afterschool.

Ayu: I'm okay with it... holding hands.
Scene of Ayu freezing / acting cold
Scene of Ayu outside of Yuuichi's room on the veranda, freezing and covered with snow.

Then the msg from Ayu, "That was... you see... um..."

Akiko's comment is the most disturbing one to me, tho.
Old 2007-02-09, 13:39   Link #46
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
i have been thinking something
how on the earth can a child climb such tree ?
Old 2007-02-09, 13:44   Link #47
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppapana View Post
hmm well with angel wings she could fly to the top or like makoto could be special anime (id say shes a monkey )

and about the preview ~ love love relationship between yuuichi and ayu? O.o and akiko seems to have something to say about that

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-02-09, 13:50   Link #48
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

It's good to see the anime expand on Nayuki's talent as a track runner by having her shine in the marathon. That scene was probably Key's way of making up for not having that aspect of Nayuki's character developed well in the original novel.

At the speed she's running, Nayuki's probably faster than Mai, though the same can't be said of her demon slaying abilities.

Gotta love how they made Nayuki obtain Raging Heart from Takedaya, the store from AIR. It seems that besides from opening a branch in the Kanon town, Takedaya has now diversed their business portfolio to selling magical weapons. Maybe they got a license from the Time-Space Administration Bureau? lol

Looks like Shiori gets to live for another few episodes, at least, giving her an opportunity to go with more style than last episode's sudden disappearance, which seemed anti-climatic.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Nayuki likes Yuuichi, and seems resigned to losing to Ayu already.

While I expect Ayu and Yuuichi to bond eventually, that kiss came surprisingly quick. It was earlier than I would have expect, with still 6-8 episodes remaining.

Expect our friend, the regular Kanon 2006 basher, to give this episode a score of 5 or below again, as usual.
Old 2007-02-09, 14:03   Link #49
Julius Firefocht

The animation may not be up to Kyo-Ani standards, but it's still good enough for most viewers, including me.

This episode is carried forward by its story, there is no fancy animation this time round to wow us. I was impressed with the mood in this particular episode, Kitagawa spoke for me when he said he felt melancholic. It's like...there's really nothing much to be depressed or sad about in this episode, and yet KyoAni somehow managed it. It could be the music or the flashbacks. I don't really know.

Ayu climbing the tree gave me a bloody heart attack.

Nayuki's Raising Heart was amusing, and I was quite surprised to find that she was that well-built. Now we know what she was hiding under all those jackets and school uniforms that she usually wears.

I feel for U1. That poor guy is finally cracking after all the events he experienced in the past few weeks. At least he lasted this long, I am pretty sure any of us in his shoes would have been destroyed after seeing what happened to Makoto, much less Mai and Shiori.

I absolutely love the
Spoiler:

All in all, a very nice episode, and I gave it a 10.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2007-02-09, 14:05   Link #50
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Really enjoyed the bracing comments from Ascaloth. I gave this ep a 10 -- and I wouldn't change that if I could -- but he/she makes some good points. However, I think the way they wove the story worked beautifully. Suppressing the sorrow made it more effective, in a way. It took the whole ep for it to work its way to the surface, and that was art. But I, too, wondered where Nayuki went after school. The feeling that Nayuki might show up was lurking there in the background for us through the scene between Yuuichi and Ayu, which gave it a twist.

As for what some others considered a surprising event between Ayu and Yuuichi near the end, it was not surprising if you consider: Nayuki already said Yuuichi loves Ayu; Yuuichi and Ayu met secretly at night in their pyjamas (or at least hers) twice in this episode; they are able to talk to each other about their intimate feelings; they spend many after-school times "searching for something" together; they are "really" the same age and were close friends seven years earlier, sharing a promise always to meet. Moreover, in the midst of tears is a very natural moment for such an event to occur.

As for the points made by Zoahr: that was a teardrop, and there was no hint of Nayuki in the reflection. However, the fact that we didn't know where she had gone did perhaps give us a little uneasy feeling that she might be around somewhere and see them. The round shape might make one think of a round crystal, or even a pearl, but if you watch them, drops of water may start elongated, but end up round before they hit the ground.

And in answer to velocity7's question about syoboi calendar, it only has the titles up to ep21, but it shows that there are broadcasts up to ep26, beside which it puts the symbol "end," which it does when it knows that that is the final episode.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-02-09, 14:41   Link #51
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

One word about this ep: Rushed.

It felt like it all moved too fast. We get a scene of this happening - jump to another scene for a short moment - jump to next one etc. I Didn't like the pacing of this ep. Animation went down (Tho i was expecting this after Shiori's arc, where they were animating like there is no tomorrow).

Dropping Shiori's issue so easily is a minus for me - it is like the writers were short on time, and decided not to include her aftermath on Yuuichi, and just move on with the next stuff.

The Yuuichi/Nayuki talk was nice. Was it me, or does it seem like Nayuki's dropping out of the race ? Either way - any one care to explain how on earth Yuuichi manages to catch on other peoples problems so quickly, yet is completely oblivious to the one person who is right under his nose ? (Raising Heart ... stand by, ready, set up ... prepare for Starlight Breaker)

Nayuki telling Yuuichi that school is over -> jump to scene with Yuuichi at the station or whatever that building is... what hole did Nayuki fall in to ?... or is it her duty to inform Yuuichi when school ends, because he is incapable of processing that information himself for some reason ?

Any one who explains to me how in the world Ayu got up that tree gets a cookie.

That kiss scene ... awkward? It seemed at that moment it was rather two people comforting each other than something romantic, but lets see what spawns from it. Either way - came too quickly, and little more from the direction of the left field than i would like. (I was sooo expecting for Nayuki to stand somewhere nearby, with her schoolbag slipping out of her hands as she is watching the scene )

that conversation came across as a bit "artificial"... seemed to me they simply needed to produce some sort of a climax, so something got pulled out of the bag.

"Yuuichi, have you lost any one important to you?" ..... No friggin "doh" - little Ayu, weren't you the first to notice how depressed Yuuichi was recently? And now you learned the reason - Shiori ... and you learned about Shiori's condition .... and now you ask him has he lost some one important, when some one important is dying in front of him ? Since when 2+2 became 22 ?

... overall - a little disappointing ep. Too bad, because this was an ep i was really looking towards to. Oh well - can't expect perfection every single time >.< ... lets see what the next week brings. *drumroll* 7/10 - the lowest i have given to a Kanon ep.
Old 2007-02-09, 14:57   Link #52
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Well, episode 19 covered a few things about Nayuki and the result of Shiori (albeit hints and pieces), not to mention Ayu who had several minutes more screentime than the former two. I was a little surprised that Yuuichi was taking Shiori's crisis so well to begin with - no depression, no breakdown of any kind. But if you think that withdrawing into deep thought counts, then I suppose you could forget what I just said and say he took the loss pretty seriously. Yuuichi even said in episode 10 that he's good at not having things affect him. That's true to some extent, but the stuff we've seen prove otherwise that he is changing little by little with every girl he runs into.

I really thought that I would have a lot to say about this episode but I don't. I guess it's because there were a lot of flashbacks and you can't really say complain about what people do in the past. Memory is info, and what's happened can't be changed. It's a straight-forward display of what transpired with very little basis for complaints.

My biggest gripe is pacing this episode; several scenes were either rushed or didn't effectively convey that desired mood for me. These would include Nayuki's marathon and the scene at the end of the episode. I didn't feel like it would take a miracle for Nayuki to win, nor did I feel Yuuichi did anything to motivate her into taking the lead from last place. She was already performing great feats passing other runners from nowhere. If it was left to me, I probably would have Yuuichi on the bike the entire length of Nayuki's leg, motivating her all the way through. Not only would this construct a better dramatic moment, but it would enhance their relationship as well as intensify the time they spent together alone after the ceremony.

Well, after several people brought it up in the episode 18 discussion thread, I figured they were right. So I wasn't surprised when I saw in this episode that Kaori was absent. All we have is word that Shiori is getting better, but it's merely hearsay. But if we do take the facts at face value as we have, then Shiori probably won't die. Recall that Shiori said she didn't feel like dying anymore back at that fountain. That's probably the miracle Yuuichi performed: the change in Shiori's attitude to her illness. Most people may not know this, but attitude is important to the healing process of any injury. When Shiori admitted to not liking death, her chances perhaps improved. But what do we know? heh

Yuuichi and Ayu spent a whole afternoon together and they talked about their most treasured people slipping away from them. I wish Yuuichi had said more, but my gut was telling me they didn't have time for that; they had to cut a few lines. This would have been a very good time to say how Yuuichi felt about Shiori after she walked out on him. "Well, I realized she may be trying to save me from too much pain, but there was such a finality to that act." Something like that. In short, I didn't think Yuuichi delivered an equal level of emotion to what Ayu expressed about losing her mother. So something was off beat to me, and when I saw the kiss, it felt forced and obtrusive. I didn't feel like a kiss was that warrented. But thinking about it, I can see several factors where it would be appropriate; but viewers don't want to spend too much time thinking. In visual media, you show, then tell.

Curious moment: the tree. I was watching episode 1 again because I recently redownloaded another copy. That tree is particularly special. But seven years later, is that clearing with the tree in the middle gone? I swear I've seen that setting somewhere during the Makoto arc. And yes, I felt exactly like some other member here. Feels like she was gonna fall off at more than one point in time. I anticipated that, but it didn't happen. She's still good and alive!

More and more, I'm getting the distinct feeling that the missing item is the doll Yuuichi gave her seven years ago. We haven't seen it in the present yet, and it is the only important item so far that remains off screen. I wonder if it's back at that tree. If it is, they're completely searching the wrong side of the city. But you have to wonder: they're searching city areas for a reason. I wonder if there's something about Ayu and Yuuichi and the city that we do not yet know about? It's possible. Yuuichi said he would grant her three wishes; so far we've only heard one. What the last two are, time will tell.

Nayuki...well, if the person she was describing (her grade school crush) is who I think it is, it would certainly explain the "Yep. You certainly are fushigi as Nayuki described" that even Kaori described in episode 2. I guess the average American would complain that this is inappropriate, but from what I heard about Japan, they're a little more tolerant of this kind of romantic pairing. Besides, it's nothing I haven't seen before. = P

So go go, Nayuki. Faito, dayo! Wow, I successfully refrained from saying "Yuuichi" in the above paragraph.

Lastly, it's not entirely conclusive that the series will end with Nayuki as the victor (for lack of a better term). For all we know, next episode will focus on Ayu, then the next two or three will turn to Nayuki, then finish off with Ayu. Who knows? As I said, time will tell.

Animation was average, blah blah blah...yay. See you next week.
Old 2007-02-09, 16:42   Link #53
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I'm seing a lot of people cheering for the Episode. Sure, Yay! for Ayu episode, but on the other hand this means it's Ayu's turn to go thru' the torture session, there definitly ain't anything Good there, so I rate it with the most appropriate rating for this episode: Painful Boo~ to all you hartless people who think this is something good it's bad I tell you, they're going to torture poor Ayu.

Am I the only Ayu fan here who wants to see her alive and happy at the end of the series?!
I'm guessing Ayu's lost item is the angel thingy. ~haha I'm so slow.
Hmm. Now is it me or did she just have one wish, meaning there are 2 more wishes. Or maybe that's the part we don't see.

Hmm.. I wonder if Ayu's little wings have some meaning. Mhn. nhaa couldn't be ~_~
-------------------------------------------------
Is anyone else getting the feeling that Yuiichi is something unnatural. A ghost or something~ mmm.
Something just doesn't smell right about his memory and all...
Old 2007-02-09, 16:45   Link #54
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The scene that had Yuuichi remember the past events really was a work of genius - and its about time he was given such a powerful scene that ables you to understand more of his feelings - its easily given in the game, very lucky to get it in the series.
Old 2007-02-09, 17:19   Link #55
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Really enjoyed the bracing comments from Ascaloth. I gave this ep a 10 -- and I wouldn't change that if I could -- but he/she makes some good points.
Oh, dear.....is my gender really in question?!
Old 2007-02-09, 17:35   Link #56
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Oy Im torn!!! Im debating giving this epi a 10 since the kiss was awesome but as mentioned by other members I felt this epi to be a bit rushed. I also felt Yuuichi (even though his is clearly depressed) he did bounce back too quickly, him almost crying at the end tho slightly made up for it. Hmmmmmm maybe Ill give it a 9
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-02-09, 17:35   Link #57
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Oh, dear.....is my gender really in question?!
Sorry, just a habit when it isn't stated and I haven't bothered to make the inference. I was trying to be courteous and it backfired. Apologies.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-02-09, 17:51   Link #58
Tasdern
Kairin fan club member

Thumbs up Did you notice...

Look, dont' read the spoilers if you haven't seen EP19. It will give too much away.

Spoiler:

Of course it will be even harder to wait for he next ep. Each EP from here on out is going to be a power house EP.

~Tasdern
Old 2007-02-09, 17:56   Link #59
Tasdern
Kairin fan club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppapana View Post
That's no mystery. I grew up in the country and boys and girls that age could climb such a tree. And climbing it as soon as you see it is a very natural reaction for a young kid.

But I really liked Yuuichi's reaction. That will explain a lot.

Everything just clicked in this EP!
Old 2007-02-09, 18:01   Link #60
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Kudos to Hocchan for those few lines of Ayu while crying. They got me a bit emotional too.

For the final ending...
Spoiler:
Closed Thread