Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-11, 20:11   Link #361
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
People react strongly to negative opinions, especially with a studio like KyoAni. You can ask Kaioshin. I don't think this differs according to what board you go to. In fact, I don't even think most of the board said anything to you.
That part of my post wasn't anything serious, you know. What that is bugging me is that people think that there are only 'fanboys' and 'haters' on the internet, not anyone neutral. I'm kinda sensitive about that matter.

In case of Kaioshin, I always tried my best to 'defend' Kyoani whenever I saw his comments.
Old 2011-04-11, 21:05   Link #362
HandofFate

just watched episode 2.

yea...don' think this is for me. I don't understand what's going on at all lol.
Old 2011-04-11, 21:23   Link #363
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Are you expecting a plot? If you are, don't. This is random things happening to cute girls who think it is normal. Think of it like a sketch comedy show.
Old 2011-04-11, 22:08   Link #364
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
That part of my post wasn't anything serious, you know. What that is bugging me is that people think that there are only 'fanboys' and 'haters' on the internet, not anyone neutral. I'm kinda sensitive about that matter.

In case of Kaioshin, I always tried my best to 'defend' Kyoani whenever I saw his comments.
When it comes to Kyoani that honestly might actually be the case. I'm not entirely sure it's possible to be neutral on them because their shows are so damn polarizing and niche, as is this one. It comes with being very tailor-made to a very specific type of fan. If you're that type of fan it's probably going to be the greatest show of the season, if not then you'll be hard pressed to find much to keep you into it.

Where the hang-up seems to have come, and I've been historically guilty of this is well, is not recognizing the nature of their shows. If you don't like it it doesn't necessarily mean you are a "hater who gonna hate", it could very well just mean it's not the show for you.

Never before has the statement "one's man's trash is another man's treasure" been so applicable as it is with Kyoani shows.

By the way you've gotten off extremely easy. Try having not played ball with the whole Haruhism thing back when it was airing. Never found a more direct way to become completely reviled on a message board before or since.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 22:37   Link #365
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Are you expecting a plot? If you are, don't. This is random things happening to cute girls who think it is normal. Think of it like a sketch comedy show.
its not even that, I don't even understand the little scenes most of the time. maybe the humor is just too japanese for me.
Old 2011-04-11, 22:49   Link #366
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A few pieces are (I didn't get them until they were translated, and one or two still make no sense unless you get cultural context), but others don't even require you to understand the language. What is going on is visual humor that doesn't require translation since it is absurd in any language. The only visual jokes that don't make sense are those based on specific phrases or puns that someone outside a country wouldn't know.

An example. Some Dutch friends of mine went back to Holland in the 1960s and saw "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" in a theater there for the first time. They, having lived in the United States almost their entire lives, laughed at most of the jokes as soon at they happened. The Dutch crowd reading the subtitles would laugh a few seconds later if it was a spoken joke. However there was a scene early in the film that my friends laughed at that no one else did. Jimmy Durante's character dies after giving the setup for the story's plot...when he does so the focus switches from his face to him kicking a bucket with his last spasm of movement. "He kicked the bucket" didn't translate as a joke in Holland, but to an American, that can be hilarious.
Old 2011-04-11, 23:26   Link #367
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Lol @ sepak takraw

Poor Nano, I wonder when did Hakase do that to her?
And the Sasahara-senpai scenes at the last part of the episode is hilarious
Old 2011-04-12, 00:18   Link #368
winkel

Quote:
It's not even that. Lucky Star was random things happening, and I laughed. I can't seem to laugh at this, no matter how I try.

I'm a KyoAni lover, and I can't get into this at all.
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 03:21   Link #369
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
When it comes to Kyoani that honestly might actually be the case. I'm not entirely sure it's possible to be neutral on them because their shows are so damn polarizing and niche, as is this one. It comes with being very tailor-made to a very specific type of fan. If you're that type of fan it's probably going to be the greatest show of the season, if not then you'll be hard pressed to find much to keep you into it.

Where the hang-up seems to have come, and I've been historically guilty of this is well, is not recognizing the nature of their shows. If you don't like it it doesn't necessarily mean you are a "hater who gonna hate", it could very well just mean it's not the show for you.

Never before has the statement "one's man's trash is another man's treasure" been so applicable as it is with Kyoani shows.

By the way you've gotten off extremely easy. Try having not played ball with the whole Haruhism thing back when it was airing. Never found a more direct way to become completely reviled on a message board before or since.
It's ok. I think I'd prefer slandering people who don't like a show and question their motives for peeing in the holy water. God forbid people not like something without ulterior motives, right?

Hmm, I think I'll give this show 2 more episodes. Maybe it can dredge up something of value for me; it could reach Lucky Star tier, perhaps

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 03:24   Link #370
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I guess it's too much trouble to ask the fanboys to accept that people might feel different about their precious gem stones.

I'll go sing a song for the show instead, and pretend to like it.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 03:44   Link #371
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I guess it's too much trouble to ask the fanboys to accept that people might feel different about their precious gem stones.

I'll go sing a song for the show instead, and pretend to like it.
Why not watch this opening on repeat :

Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 03:52   Link #372
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Why not watch this opening on repeat :
Around which loop do I conform?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 03:54   Link #373
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
0:32-0:52 is the best part of the song. IMO*

*b4 someone gets butthurt.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 04:01   Link #374
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

So far... neutral. I've already got a nice library of this type of stuff (L*S, PPD, etc). Waiting to see if I should bother with 'yet another round' unless I see something that stands out.
Old 2011-04-12, 04:23   Link #375
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
So far... neutral. I've already got a nice library of this type of stuff (L*S, PPD, etc). Waiting to see if I should bother with 'yet another round' unless I see something that stands out.
Have you watched Azumanga Daoih? I would say that probably had the best balance of "lolrandom" and "cute". Was also somewhat funny at times. Granted I still didn't really like it that much, but that's because it's not my type of anime.

I would still say Minami-ke 1st season was the best light comedy. The sibling bickering between Kana and Chiaki was what made the show.

EDIT: And Hosaka.

Btw what's the code to make thumbnail pics again? Tried searching the forum but can't find >.<

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-04-12 at 04:40.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 04:39   Link #376
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

lol I owe it to TWOGK and now I understand what that Spell of Resurrection was REALLY for. =3

(and oh to the one in the prev. pages who pointed me to Dragon Quest)
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 05:46   Link #377
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Guys, remember that this is a thread to discuss an anime, not the studio behind it. If you want to go in deep about what you think about Kyoani and the like, please do so in the corresponding thread.

I am also gonna have to ask everyone to stop taking sides and making assumptions about other people posting here; doing otherwise only brings discussion down to the personal level and everything from there on out could degrade even further.
Old 2011-04-12, 06:07   Link #378
Dextro
He Without a Title

Well I've watched the first 2 (3) episodes of this show and I must say I'm not sold on it. It took me over half the series to start enjoying Azumanga Dayoh and I think this show is going in the same direction. The problem is that it just isn't that funny overall and even the funny bits are mostly chuckle-worthy at best and not laughing out loud funny. I laughed literally a single time the entirety of the 3 episodes and that's not a very good average for a supposed comedy show.

Maybe I was just setting myself up for disappointment after seeing this show reported as a "random" comedy but so far even with all the hijinks I just can't seem to get the funny bits. I think it has to do with the timings, the jokes just seem to be a bit too slow for a show that uses randomness as material.

Still I have to admit that the rope-jumping scene on episode 2 was very nice indeed. Made me chuckle quite a bit.

PS: I find it interesting that the soccer ball that's been showing up is the model for the 2006 world cup. I don't know why I noticed that small detail but whatever. Also: lol @ Virtual Boy.
Old 2011-04-12, 07:20   Link #379
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

I'm guessing those who can't leave their common sense (or sanity) at the door won't enjoy Nichijou. For those who can, the absurdity can be incredibly funny. The prof injecting some sanity with her "Its a bit too early to call me a professor" only makes the absurd parts more obvious

Nano is my favoriate character in the anime so far
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 13:56   Link #380
thirdlc

Quote:
For instance, if weiner simply moves with amazing quality with huge amount of frame, that's quality animation'.
I think making the shot that way is direction. The episode director definitely told an animation director and a key animator to do so. The instructions are called direction, yes?

You sound like you don't see part of direction which is hidden by an animation director's sense of animation. It's the same condition which I used to be stuck in.

Quote:
But they have 26 episode to do this, so probably only volume 1 - 5, unless the short bits are also some of the chapters.
26 episodes? Is that confirmed? If so, that means Mirai Nikki won't start in summer. Producer Itou hasn't put more than one show on the air in one season, right?
thirdlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen, slice of life