AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2014-08-25, 19:55   Link #61
GDB

I tried that on another machine and, while it kept stuff in another folder, nothing was installed as far as programs or drivers go.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-26, 00:55   Link #62
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I tried that on another machine and, while it kept stuff in another folder, nothing was installed as far as programs or drivers go.
It seems that keeping your programs is only possible when upgrading to the very next version of Windows. The farther apart between the two versions (service packs may also be a factor), the less you get to keep.

For example, if you're on Windows Vista, and you want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and still keep your programs, you will have to first upgrade to Windows 7, then to Windows 8, and finally to Windows 8.1.

Some other details:

Upgrade paths to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../jj203353.aspx
Upgrade paths to Windows 7: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=WS.10).aspx
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-26, 20:46   Link #63
Marina2

So.........I'm going to get a new desktop computer/laptop (still thinking what I really want...) this November. Which window I should use?

I used to think that I will use Window 8.1 but after reading many comments, it seems Window 7 is better???

Seriously, I still using Window XP on my current computer and I don't see a reason why I have to upgrade to 'better' Window, if not because that Microsoft/ new games/new software stop support it .
Old 2014-08-26, 21:24   Link #64
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
So.........I'm going to get a new desktop computer/laptop (still thinking what I really want...) this November. Which window I should use?

I used to think that I will use Window 8.1 but after reading many comments, it seems Window 7 is better???

Seriously, I still using Window XP on my current computer and I don't see a reason why I have to upgrade to 'better' Window, if not because that Microsoft/ new games/new software stop support it .
If you're not sticking to the version of Windows you currently use, then get the latest version available unless there is something you need that is only available in an older version.
Old 2014-08-27, 13:00   Link #65
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
It seems that keeping your programs is only possible when upgrading to the very next version of Windows. The farther apart between the two versions (service packs may also be a factor), the less you get to keep.

For example, if you're on Windows Vista, and you want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and still keep your programs, you will have to first upgrade to Windows 7, then to Windows 8, and finally to Windows 8.1.

Some other details:

Upgrade paths to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../jj203353.aspx
Upgrade paths to Windows 7: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=WS.10).aspx
Interesting. Then, I assume, in order to upgrade from XP I'd have to go vista -> 7 -> 8 -> 8.1 (is this a different thing, or just a service pack that I'd have to wait a few minutes to download?) -> 9?

Seems rather asinine. Windows, want me to upgrade to 9? Let me actually upgrade from XP directly instead of forcing a fresh install.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-27, 13:04   Link #66
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Personally never encountered issue just formatting the entire thing and re-installing. And I have a ton of dev tools all of which some re-configuration in some way or another. Generally the advantage of re-starting fresh outweighs the cost of installing and configuring things again; good opportunity to drop a lot of junk; especially if you're transitioning all the way from XP.

Not sure why people are so attached to their install of windows; if anything windows is famed from becoming suckier and suckier the longer the installation lives.
Old 2014-08-27, 15:21   Link #67
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Interesting. Then, I assume, in order to upgrade from XP I'd have to go vista -> 7 -> 8 -> 8.1 (is this a different thing, or just a service pack that I'd have to wait a few minutes to download?) -> 9?
I assume that to be the case. Some details:

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-Windows-Vista

Windows 8.1 is a free update for Windows 8 that you get through the Windows 8 Store, even though you don't need to actually have an account on the Store/Windows 8 to get it. It's like a service pack in that it's free and you need to eventually update to it to continue receiving support for your Windows 8.x installation.
Quote:
Seems rather asinine. Windows, want me to upgrade to 9? Let me actually upgrade from XP directly instead of forcing a fresh install.
I assume it's about the support cost. A clean install has less potential of things going wrong. So restricting how you can do an in-place upgrade means less scenarios/cases that Microsoft has to test and support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Personally never encountered issue just formatting the entire thing and re-installing. And I have a ton of dev tools all of which some re-configuration in some way or another. Generally the advantage of re-starting fresh outweighs the cost of installing and configuring things again; good opportunity to drop a lot of junk; especially if you're transitioning all the way from XP.

Not sure why people are so attached to their install of windows; if anything windows is famed from becoming suckier and suckier the longer the installation lives.
Yeah, I prefer a clean install for both Windows and whatever Linux-based operating system I happen to use at the moment. Then again, I no longer use that many programs that I have to install.
Old 2014-08-27, 16:30   Link #68
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Not sure why people are so attached to their install of windows;
PPL get attached to their install because they haven't done many times and for most having 1 pc and it being out of commission for hours for the install is really painful. In early days when I was learning about IT, I also felt like that. Now that I am in IT business for years that feeling is gone. Reinstalling an OS is practically a daily chore that I can do with my eyes closed.

Quote:
if anything windows is famed from becoming suckier and suckier the longer the installation lives.
I don't quite agree with this part. Windows get suckier by the amount of stuff install, uninstall and so on. If you install only the necessary stuff the windows can last years. I speak of experience at my home computer where the windows installation lasted for 2.5 years. It could have lasted more if I didn't one decide to install a dubious program.
Old 2014-08-28, 12:15   Link #69
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I don't quite agree with this part. Windows get suckier by the amount of stuff install, uninstall and so on. If you install only the necessary stuff the windows can last years. I speak of experience at my home computer where the windows installation lasted for 2.5 years. It could have lasted more if I didn't one decide to install a dubious program.
We are in agreement, I have a similar experience, however... I would go to "fix my pc" people and want to hit my head on a wall how absolutely FUBAR their windows install is.
Old 2014-09-03, 14:29   Link #70
monster

What Windows as a Service may mean:
Quote:
From what I'm hearing, Windows as a Service, or WaaS, is about how Microsoft plans to deliver updates and new features to users, but more from an internal-facing perspective. Starting with Threshold, Microsoft plans to "flight" new features with different subsets of customers, my sources say, so that the operating systems group can determine which changes are well-received and which aren't. Other cloud-centric teams at Microsoft, like Bing, Azure and Yammer, already do this kind of testing and continuous deployment. It's connected to Microsoft's increasing push to use telemetry data and direct feedback to tweak products on the fly.

I'd originally heard from my sources that the coming Threshold tech preview would require users to opt into all monthly updates to Threshold. But now I am hearing the monthly updates will be optional. Those who do opt in will get updates, as well as builds with features that work differently depending on the user. Some subsets of users might get a new feature; others may not. Microsoft will be gathering this "flighting" data to compare differently configured versions of the OS on different devices. Ultimately, the idea is the best configuration will win.
Old 2014-09-04, 19:51   Link #71
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Other cloud-centric teams at Microsoft, like Bing, Azure and Yammer, already do this kind of testing and continuous deployment.
Continuous deployment looks to be the up-and-coming thing in software development. I got a survey about it in my email today as well.

I'm a one-man band when it comes to development, but I've always built new features on a test bed and converted the updated version to production when it was ready. I guess the idea now is to let automated testing handle the decision about when to put someting into production.

Quote:
Continuous deployment is the next step of continuous delivery: Every change that passes the automated tests is deployed to production automatically. Continuous deployment should be the goal of most companies that are not constrained by regulatory or other requirements.
I'd prefer to include humans in the testing process myself, particularly humans who work for the client and pay my bills.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 11:16   Link #72
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Here's what the new Windows start menu looks like ATM. It's not the final brew (it'll probably changed in public Beta 2 or so, if they follow the W7 beta pattern), so the design could possibly evolve dramatically before the source code reaches escrow and RTM status.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

>> Source <<
Old 2014-09-13, 12:09   Link #73
monster

Also from that same YouTube channel:
YouTube
YouTube
And another one:
YouTube

Last edited by monster; 2014-09-13 at 17:45.
Old 2014-09-13, 17:47   Link #74
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

*looks at bottom right disclaimer*

Hopefully not someones dumb kid, again. Always feel really bad for the parents when that happens...
Old 2014-09-13, 17:56   Link #75
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

OTOH, there will probably less ISO leaks this time around (not that you should be downloading those images in the first place, as there's no guarantee they aren't spiked with malware), since Microsoft is reportedly sneaking unique ID strings into each ISO image automatically mailed to the W9 beta-testers/builders, in order to identify which partner, developer or employee is behind all these leaks.

It's a pity they're still clinging to Metro rather than making a full comeback to Aero for the desktop version, though...but then again, it's still a technical preview that's still lacking a lot of the final build stuff.
Old 2014-09-13, 18:08   Link #76
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
It's a pity they're still clinging to Metro rather than making a full comeback to Aero for the desktop version, though
I love Aero, but I also love the new look, so I actually hope Windows moves away from Aero and other older styles/themes for the sake of a more consistent look within Windows itself as well as with Windows Phone/RT and Xbox One.
Old 2014-09-14, 01:20   Link #77
Tiberium Wolf

They need to move away from windows 8. Don't they understand that windows 8 traumatized a lot of ppl!
Old 2014-09-14, 01:50   Link #78
monster

Quote:
They need to move away from windows 8. Don't they understand that windows 8 traumatized a lot of ppl!
They are moving away from Windows 8, just as they moved away from all previous versions of Windows.
Old 2014-09-14, 02:54   Link #79
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
They are moving away from Windows 8, just as they moved away from all previous versions of Windows.
When I look at Renegade334 post I see metro stuff.
Old 2014-09-14, 03:49   Link #80
monster

Quote:
When I look at Renegade334 post I see metro stuff.
I said they're moving away from Windows 8, not throwing everything about it away, just as they didn't throw away everything about Windows Vista when they moved away from it to Windows 7.