AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2017-02-24, 19:01   Link #1
Kurono-kun

Anime like Kara no Kyoukai

Are there any Anime who are like Kara no kyoukai? The only one who is similar is Denpa Teki na Kanojo. So are there other anime who are similar to them?
Kurono-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-24, 19:55   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Seems to me like you're looking for dark urban mysteries with little to no comedy, perhaps some low key supernatural elements and a heavy emphasis on characters and drama. My recommendations would be:

Mardock Scramble - The closest to what you're looking for but more sci-fi than supernatural.

Shin Sekai Yori - doesn't fit all the requirements but the dark foreboding mystery gives a very similar mood to the one you get in KnK.

Psycho-Pass - Again, it's more sci-fi but still similar to what you're looking for.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-25, 11:44   Link #3
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Shingetsutan Tsukihime is the closest as Nasu also wrote that. Problem is that the adaptation is not good. I'd recommend getting hold of the original VN and going through that.

In terms of other titles in Nasu's universe, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (2014-2015) was the one that did get a proper adaptation. Witch on the Holy Night - one can hope for an adaptation eventually? Fate/Stay Night: Heavens' Feel is getting 3 movies from 2017 to 2019.
Old 2017-02-28, 16:59   Link #4
Kurono-kun

Thans for the answers. I willl look in mardock Scramble.

But its seems thats Genre is pretty rare?

I am not really a big fan of the fate Universe. Maybe i will watch later Shingetsutan Tsukihime but i have heard thats its a pretty bad Anime Adpation of the game.
Kurono-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-28, 18:27   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurono-kun View Post

Dark urban mysteries aren't all that common but you can find a few. It's just that your situation is compounded by the fact that you're looking for something even more specific: heavy drama, character driven, little comedy. The last two are especially problematic because a lot of mysteries are fairly plot driven (Shin Sekai Yori, Psycho Pass, Darker than Black, Another) and some dark mysteries will still have a fair bit of comedy (e.g Steins; Gate, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia).

I've watched both Kara no Kyoukai and Denpa Teki no Kanojo (the former being one of my massive favourites), and I do agree that they do have similarities that I've not seen elsewhere 100% (Despite both authors writing other works)

All that said, I did forget a very good one that also comes close to what you're looking for: Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi (also known as ERASED).

Quote:
I am not really a big fan of the fate Universe. Maybe i will watch later Shingetsutan Tsukihime but i have heard thats its a pretty bad Anime Adpation of the game.
It's so bad that pretending it doesn't exist has actually become a meme ("There is no Tsukihime anime"). Don't watch the anime. Read the original visual novel if you can do. You'll be surprised how immersive it can be despite the average art. Or read the manga: it only tells half the story but it does do a good job.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-28, 20:34   Link #6
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It's so bad that pretending it doesn't exist has actually become a meme ("There is no Tsukihime anime"). Don't watch the anime. Read the original visual novel if you can do. You'll be surprised how immersive it can be despite the average art. Or read the manga: it only tells half the story but it does do a good job.
I guess this is mainly nostalgia goggles , but it's not really that bad if you don't know the source material. It has a beautiful soundtrack. I'd suggest at least taking a look at the first couple of episodes, and definetly check out the manga if not the visual novel. There's also Melty Blood, but other than that I believe Higurashi is a good bet.
Old 2017-03-01, 09:28   Link #7
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:

Much rarer than they used to be. They were more common before 2008. What sets Kara no Kyoukai apart is the sheer production value. It's basically in a completely different league than nearly every anime production out there. You can find a lot of dark, dramatic, gritty titles from anime in the past, but they don't come close to KnK as a package and there's usually some goofy "yup, that's anime" type of element to them (silly mascot, fanservice, etc.)
Old 2017-03-20, 22:09   Link #8
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

Quote:

There are no anime like Kara no Kyoukai. There is only Kara no Kyoukai.

But if Tsukihime is interesting you, there is always the manga if you don't want to read/play the game. I found it pretty decent from what I did read, though I never did finish it.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote