AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Pumpkin Scissors

Notices

Old 2006-10-14, 10:46   Link #201
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Gonzo often take their time. I'd quote Chrno Crusade, Last Exile and even Solty Rei as evidence. However if it's still 'tank of the week' at episode 9 then I'd worry.
Remember too Kiddy Grade, IIRC much of the first part was episodic, story-to-story like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz
But you gotta admit, she has guts challenging someone with just her short sword.
I guess thats what we all love about her!

Last edited by Lost; 2006-10-14 at 11:25.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 11:31   Link #202
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
You mean Alice? Yeah, she's pretty headstrong and easy to loose her temper. But you gotta admit, she has guts challenging someone with just her short sword.
i just tend to think that she is a "dumb blond" true tho she has guts and acts masculin ^__^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 12:29   Link #203
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
i just tend to think that she is a "dumb blond" true tho she has guts and acts masculin ^__^
Maybe because she's a noble. That's why she acts with pride and joy when in battle.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 12:49   Link #204
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

War Relief Unit

The plot for episode two remind me of a film called Hard Target, which has a drifter going against an organization that arranges games of man-hunting and cat & mouse chase for the rich folk.

They pick-up or kidnap homeless, poor bums with seemingly no family (and no one giving a damn where they end) and offer them prize money if manage to escape while being hunted, but unfortunately end up losing.

As for the Imperial Army, Section III Unit: Pumpkin Scissors, I understood that the Empire provided the budget to dispatch the war relief efforts for reconstruction, however, the bastard Wolkinson splats on Alice's face that this is only a diversionary tactic from the militia, so to appease the minds of the people. Because Pumpkin Scissors is owned by the militia, and they are dogs just following orders.

However, Alice and her subordinates made their stance that although people cannot choose the circumstances of their birth, while the're still living they can decide what to do with their lives.
From this words it is evident that unlike the rest of the military seen so far (for now) Section III indeed cares for all of its members, and their humanitarian disposition comes from their will not just because they follow orders.

The whole discussion theme about the tyrant and corrupted Nobles terrorizing the Commoners did not ring bells to me, since it's a standard to be used in war, fantasy, and epic dramas.
Wolkinson crossed the line for wusiness, that would have been better if the maid had shot him to death.

What was appealing is that I can see the animation picking up an influence to that of Hiromu Arakawa's style. I mean making parallels with some of the characters like Marchis and Stekkin who bear some resemblances with Cain Fuery and Winry Rockbell from FMA.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 17:18   Link #205
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
What was appealing is that I can see the animation picking up an influence to that of Hiromu Arakawa's style. I mean making parallels with some of the characters like Marchis and Stekkin who bear some resemblances with Cain Fuery and Winry Rockbell from FMA.
Keep in mind that this anime follows the original manga pretty faithfully so far, and that the original manga was serialized in 2002, well before FMA became popular.
(FMA started serialization in 2001)

There's been several times in this thread that I felt people are crediting Gonzo for something that should be credited to the original manga.
Credits are due where it belongs, and Gonzo has a lot to do with beefing up the quality in animating it, but not all credits should go out to them.
Old 2006-10-14, 18:20   Link #206
Cyz
"Show it to me"

What's a war relief anyway? Is it like a moment of peace or it's something for the soldiers who fought in the war? And I wonder how the lantern gets it's energy from? Maybe it uses an energizer battery or something.
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2006-10-14, 21:50   Link #207
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

This show rules!!!!

Man I only wastched it because of the title but man this is so awesome, and the ending theme is kewl!!!!!!

Quote:
What's a war relief anyway? Is it like a moment of peace or it's something for the soldiers who fought in the war? And I wonder how the lantern gets it's energy from? Maybe it uses an energizer battery or something.
War Relief is just a time period right after a war. Usually some countries tend to be kinda you know screwed right after a war. Events such as the central government weakening, and the economy kind of lack in terms of existence.

Anyway War Relief is jsut a rebuilding period that countries go through right after a war.. Depending on the damage done it can take up to months of years. SOmetimes decades to rebuild.

Lawlessness is pretty common during such a period of time due to you know... A weakened presence of a central government..... Anyway for EMpires that fight long drawn out wars. They tend to have to deal with more so than capitalistic countries, and republics.

From the anime's story line the war was pretty long, and drawn out, and the damage done is just devastating.

Also lantern gets it energy from The Will'o wisp.

ANyway I like this anime.

If you wanna know more about that wisp thingy... I think you should look into current day legends.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 23:22   Link #208
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblazer View Post
Also lantern gets it energy from The Will'o wisp.
No, AFAIK, thats just a reference, a comparison. The lantern gives the impression of the will'o wisp.
Old 2006-10-15, 05:09   Link #209
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
War Relief is usually an initiative started by charitable organisations or occasionally the government/military, to bring food, medical supplies and reconstruction (rebuilding of bombed houses) to areas worst hit by a conflict. In Pumpkin Scissors the term is slightly skewed to it's literal meaning i.e. bringing relief from the terrors of war but the basic principle is the same.

The lantern's energy is obviously one the biggest mysteries in the show. Somehow I think it would be cool if there was a little will o' the wisp trapped inside, but I suspect its simply a power source whose light has been programmed into Orland to switch on his tank buster mode. Hopefully we'll begin to find out all these mysteries soon enough...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 08:21   Link #210
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

and for those who dnt know wht a will o' the wisp is heres wiki's definition

Quote:
The will o' the wisp or ignis fatuus, or in plural form as ignes fatui ("fool's fire(s)") is the phenomenon of ghostly lights sometimes seen at night or in twilight hovering over damp ground in still air, often over bogs. It looks like a flickering lamp. The will o' the wisp is said to recede if approached. Much folklore has attached to the legend, despite possible scientific explanations.
imo the thing thats in orland's lantern is like a stimulant that allows him to go into "tank killing" mode and the golw is a reaction thats given off...but how it does this is unknown

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2006-10-15, 19:49   Link #211
Cyz
"Show it to me"

If I remember, some cartoons use will o' wisp as part of a ghost get-up. It's like one symbol of a ghost or something. Or it could be just like a dead spirit hovering
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2006-10-15, 19:53   Link #212
mtarzaim

What ? !
This thread has fallen in second page ?

No way !

Just because of its lame name (for english people), this serie might end up like Fantastic Children (in a different genre).
And I will not let that happen !

Here is my contribution to make this anime a little more famous :

Pumpkin Scissors : Pumpkin's Starlight

An amv of mine, on "Starlight" from Muse.
We were yearning for more drama ?
Here is my vision of the two lead characters' relation.

The downloadable version will come soon (probably tomorrow, the time for me to correct some minor flaws)

Last edited by mtarzaim; 2006-10-16 at 11:57.
mtarzaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 04:39   Link #213
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
If I remember, some cartoons use will o' wisp as part of a ghost get-up. It's like one symbol of a ghost or something. Or it could be just like a dead spirit hovering
/off topic: If like me you were British and old enough to remember, will o' the wisps are burned into a generation's psyche as the actor Kenneth Williams from Willo o the wisp. This show was wierd and disturbing and full of innuendo, as most British children's television was during the 80s.
Old 2006-10-16, 06:46   Link #214
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
mm...this series reminds me of a tone downed version of Armour Hunter Mellowlink....
Old 2006-10-16, 10:12   Link #215
Lost

Hmmm.. this is disturbing. On ANN, they use Randel Orlando. That just sounds wrong, but ANN?

@mtarzaim: Great synching!! It was enjoyable, even if the music wasnt my taste. Now, if you could do one based on the OP theme?

Last edited by Lost; 2006-10-16 at 10:24.
Old 2006-10-16, 10:20   Link #216
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
/off topic: If like me you were British and old enough to remember, will o' the wisps are burned into a generation's psyche as the actor Kenneth Williams from Willo o the wisp. This show was wierd and disturbing and full of innuendo, as most British children's television was during the 80s.
Hmm, I can only imagine And yes, having Oland's name turn Orlando is definitely bad.
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2006-10-16, 10:36   Link #217
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Hmmm.. this is disturbing. On ANN, they use Randel Orlando. That just sounds wrong, but ANN?
Yep, it's wrong. ANN, while a good starting point, is not 100% reliable. Bit like Wikipedia really. If in doubt check the official site's character pages for name checks. Altough, having said, that whoever did the website has no love of Mer-kun (http://rikujyo3ka.com/dog.html) lol.
Old 2006-10-16, 11:00   Link #218
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
lol isnt orlando a holiday resort in florida? should have known it was wrong from the start by looking at the word

Old 2006-10-16, 11:13   Link #219
Lost

Yep, not to mention a name of a flower. Orlando Bloom, I think they call it.
Old 2006-10-16, 11:15   Link #220
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Yep, not to mention a name of a flower. Orlando Bloom, I think they call it.
Thought that was a talentless actor?

Waaay off topic.