AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

View Poll Results: Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 0 0%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 15.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 30.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 15.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 35.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 5.00%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-24, 00:24   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Episode 4.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-10-24, 13:29   Link #2
Midonin
Last Engage

Now we're back in my groove. I can always appreciate a good commentary on otaku culture, set in the nerd mecca of Akiba. (Featuring the nerd mecha of Akiba.) So the sisterly bonding resulted in a loss of innocence and loss of money from all parties, but I enjoyed watching it. While the revelation that fans can bitterly fight even if they're into the same thing (see for example: this thread) is hardly a new one, it was carried off well enough, I thought. I kinda miss the bleeping out of official show names from the first season - the censorship made it funnier, I thought - but the show moving forward in time has allowed some more contemporary references, such as Madoka. (Technically, she didn't die at the end, but it's something close to it... that'd just be arguing semantics.)

That scene at the beginning of the episode with Ruri talking to the birds about something - who is she supposed to be, Mea Kurosaki? Technically, she is, but the mystery of what exactly Ruri's doing here has thickened. Quite enjoyed this one, looking forward to what happens next.
Old 2012-10-24, 14:56   Link #3
Eragon
Still Alive

Err, what was that? Why was an entire episode wasted on.........nothing? Unless I'm mistaken and this is relevant to the storyline (which I slightly doubt -_-). One positive thing I'll say about this episode was that the artwork was better than last time.
Old 2012-10-24, 16:47   Link #4
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Sigh... This is literally CRAWLING pace for the plot, not bear crawl but leopard crawl -_-

I don't really care much for the whole obscure otaku talk since I don't get most of the reference; I know they're trying to make fun of otakus, but I've seen that done better elsewhere...
Old 2012-10-24, 16:55   Link #5
Dop
Mmmm....

I have to admit I'm baling on this one. I really liked the first season, and I think I liked the second season a bit more as it felt more cohesive.

This season though really hasn't gelled for me at all.
Old 2012-10-24, 17:25   Link #6
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I can't believe that we're back to plot-less Hayate no Gotoku like the first season...

although I must admit that I'm smiling when they mention Madoka Magica....
and also Nagi's manga is actually the one that Tsugumi bought...
Old 2012-10-24, 18:37   Link #7
Snuffle
likes cute things

Why are all these hardly known side characters getting so much screen time? We've barely seen much of Ayumu and have yet to see Isumi and Sayuka (the mini skits in the middle of the episode don't count). I was under the impression they were trying to wrap up this story, is that not what they had in mind??? Either way... I'm tired of seeing these characters that I hardly know, not to mention I find them uninteresting. Give me back the main cast!
Old 2012-10-24, 20:16   Link #8
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I feel kind of stupid and cheated when I can actually finish the jokes on the first watch before they're spoken. There were some enjoyable moments, but I actually had to contemplate how I was watching a Hayate no Gotoku episode that didn't make me laugh.

*sigh* At least it's only 12 episodes. I can set a hopeful parameter and not expect too much out of it.
Old 2012-10-24, 20:39   Link #9
madmac

Quote:
Why are all these hardly known side characters getting so much screen time?
Because most of the characters you're used to seeing in the first two seasons are minor characters now. Chiharu especially is a major character in the manga these days. It's not something you have to like (I miss Sakuya...) but it's the truth.
Old 2012-10-24, 21:20   Link #10
JPblueser
Guitarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
That scene at the beginning of the episode with Ruri talking to the birds about something - who is she supposed to be, Mea Kurosaki? Technically, she is, but the mystery of what exactly Ruri's doing here has thickened. Quite enjoyed this one, looking forward to what happens next.
I have a feeling Ruri was talking to only one bird in particular, and that one doesn't seem to be a normal bird, so to speak.

Truth is... this episode just confirmed she's up to no good.

If anyone remembers what the "Black Camellia" is, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'll quote what I said on another forum.

Hayate no Gotoku as a whole changed a lot over time. The classic "happy-go-lucky" period, full of parodies and craziness ended a LONG time ago. You can't expect the series to be the same it was 3 or 5 years ago. Things changed. Comedy isn't the main thing anymore. You may or may not like that, but that's how it is. It has been like this ever since the driving plot behind the series was presented to the manga readers a few years ago.

And now, it's time for the anime fans to experience that transition.

They actually seem to be warming up for something even bigger. This not the whole thing. At least not yet, so have a little bit of faith on the production staff.
Old 2012-10-24, 23:05   Link #11
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPblueser View Post
Hayate no Gotoku as a whole changed a lot over time. The classic "happy-go-lucky" period, full of parodies and craziness ended a LONG time ago. You can't expect the series to be the same it was 3 or 5 years ago. Things changed. Comedy isn't the main thing anymore. You may or may not like that, but that's how it is. It has been like this ever since the driving plot behind the series was presented to the manga readers a few years ago.

And now, it's time for the anime fans to experience that transition.
I'm appreciating the vague symbolic things the third season is going for on some level, and Keiichiro Kawaguchi is still an active director, one of his shows is on this season, in fact. Plus, the wacky, reference-heavy comedy torch has been passed onto other things like Nyarko. But the first season is still very important to me, one of the series I saw when I was just starting out at this forum, one that defined what an anime comedy had the potential to be.

No mistake, I'm still going to ride this season out - Ruri's plot is holding my attention. But if someone asked what Hayate meant to me, I would point to the first season every time.
Old 2012-10-25, 03:22   Link #12
garbage

^ yeah

1st season was really something,but as they say change is the only constant.
we can only hope it stays relevant. nevertheless this season still holds my interest partly for the rabid HnG ( and hinagiku ) fan inside curious what happened after on their story. Still wondering about the missing chapters and time skip though. I guess they will address this later on. [ Or maybe even be part of the plot who knows]

besides it may be different but its still better i think than a lot of other meh shows coming up or currently out there.
Old 2012-10-25, 03:52   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
besides it may be different but its still better i think than a lot of other meh shows coming up or currently out there.
You might want to check these currently-airing shows which have better story-execution (or funnier, or more enjoyable) than HnG CTMEOY : Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, Code: Breaker, Ixion Saga, Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne, Robotics;Notes, Psycho-Pass, Zetsuen no Tempest, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo and more. Compared to them, HnG CTMEOY is really below average (so far). As a HnG fan, I’m clearly disappointed, but what can I do?

If you really love Hayate no Gotoku, then I suggest you read the manga (assuming you haven't already ).
Old 2012-10-25, 09:11   Link #14
mitsuganae

Jeez, I never thought I would encounter a Laserion reference . . .
Old 2012-10-25, 12:00   Link #15
jasonator
Shanafag

Hayate has a winner here: chu2koi

hayate manga is doing great though..
Old 2012-10-25, 12:40   Link #16
madmac

On topic, I liked this episode, but it should have been a 15 minute deal. It was a little too stretched thin for what it is.
Old 2012-10-25, 21:50   Link #17
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I feel like this episode broke the sacred covenant between the manga/anime and the viewer, by baldy stating exactly what anime/manga/games it was referencing. Half the humor of Hayate is the sense of smug superiority when you happen to get all their references hidden behind asterisks.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-10-26, 16:05   Link #18
Strygwyr
Attention Queen killer.
*IT Support

I liked this ep. Feels like im watching a deluxe version of lucky star.
Old 2012-10-26, 16:18   Link #19
ion475
にこにこにー

To start...

1. 8/10 only b/c compare to last episode, the art is better...
2. Maybe people here just are not getting the reference b/c they're just otaku-wannabe? j/k (B/c personally, all I'll say is, either I'm not otaku enough or the reference are extremely obscure on purpose)
3. Side note on the Kayura v. Chiharu argument b/t Manga & LN = is that an intentional reference to the Kirino v. Kuroneko argument in Oreimo?
4. I do agree that the plot is stretch out too much. It's good as a 1/2 episode plot but that's about it.
5. Final word = I do wonder where this series is going. Clearly Tsugumi is there for a reason other than creating random scenes...
Old 2012-11-04, 00:10   Link #20
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Truths or not-so-truths about Otaku:
1. Otaku will always get all items and merchandise related to their favorite 2D dimensional girl, idol girl, manga, anime, light novels, and/or TV program that features their kawaii girl, no matter what.

2. Otaku may or not fight or ague against other otaku, as they discuss even the same manga artists.

3. Otaku do not get swayed with the big or mainstream titles.

4. Otaku like some speciality in their preferences, though they may agee that stories featuring very cute girls who happen to die at the end of the story aren't refreshing or suitable to them.

5. Otaku will get any items by any means necessary, though it should and must be done within the law. However, that's just not an excuse to overdue the credit card; remember that Japan's strictly a cash oriented society.
Closed Thread